Louis Benton Steak House
77 Monroe Center NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Louis Benton Steak House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.louisbenton.com/
- Phone: (616) 454-7455
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner served Monday-Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Lunch served in LB's Lounge Tuesday - Friday 11:00am -4:00pm
Lounge open Mondays & Tuesdays 4:00pm -1030pm
Wednesday 11:00am - 12:00am
Thursday 11:00am - 10:30pm
Friday 11:00am - 12:00am
Saturday 4:00pm - 12:00am
Closed on Sundays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Burgers, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact our Banquet Manager for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Three private dining rooms can accommodate 10-150.
- Private Party Contact: Our Event Coordinating Team 6164547455x
- Cross Street: Ionia Avenue (Main entrance 35 Ionia NW)
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking begins at 5:00pm in front of our door at 35 Ionia Avenue NW. At lunch, valet parking is not available, however the "Monroe Center Parking Garage" right next door to our Ionia Street entrance has one hour free parking daily.
A word from Louis Benton Steak House
Welcome to Louis Benton Steak House, Grand Rapids premier steak house, featuring U.S.D.A. prime and all natural steaks, along with fresh seafood, delicious appetizers and elegant desserts. Our dedicated staff will provide unparalleled hospitality and service to ensure you a memorable dining experience. Complimentary Valet parking on Ionia St. entrance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Louis Benton Steak House reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (17)romantic (11)fit for foodies (7)notable wine list (6)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Very NicebestDined on 11/8/2014The server was awesome. The Filet with the blue cheese is amazing. Very romantic and dark wood everywhere.Special Features:
- PerfectAFKfriendsDined on 11/7/2014Perfect server, Rob. Perfect food. Perfect evening! Everybody very friendly from valet, greeters, waiter, and other restaurant personnel.Special Features:
- Burger nt Weds.BaileyDined on 10/29/2014Burger was thick, dry and not hot we upgraded from chips to fries which were the same. Burger king for $6 is better. Once again "you get what you pay for" along with the atmosphere for. Big glass windows with fluorescent lighting kills the atmosphere is this so call "lounge" Service was ok but could hardly hear the bartender very soft spoken. Overall we will not be back for Burger Night at LB's lounge. Ruth Chris Burger wins ....hands down! Atmosphere aswell.Special Features:
- Great timeSweetypie007Dined on 10/25/2014I went here to celebrate my anniversary and it was wonderful. The staff did a great job and met all of our needs. They even gave us a free dessert! We definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerVancouverDined on 10/18/2014The atmosphere was nice, we had a quiet table. Very nice to have quiet time with spouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WhateverDined on 10/13/2014Slow night with only a few tables seated but the service was very slow. They didn't recieve fish that night and didn't bake any potatoes.
- Excellent food.shlelaghDined on 10/10/2014We were on both the bar side and the restaurant side. The bar was well attended with an awesome blues band. The restaurant was exceptional. We had prime rib, NY strip and the seared salmon. The only thing left was a small piece of salmon which they packed up for us because we weren't willing to let anything go. Restaurant itself was quiet and allowed for intimate conversation, and service was very professional but personalized. We matched our wines up ourselves, and their wine list was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak!jelloj23Dined on 9/27/2014Always have wanted to try. Did not disappoint! Staff was very friendly, steak was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksRayJayDined on 9/19/2014Usually go there for special occasions. Everyone, waitress, owner, chef gave us top notch attention and service. Superb steaks(filet and strip) cooked to perfection. Two of the most tasteful we have ever had and we've eaten at steak houses all over the world. We always seem to engage in conversation with those around us when we go there and that is always fun. Great selection of wines. Formal but not stuffy atmosphere. Unlike most restaurants, the music is great and fits the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodVbvvvvvDined on 9/13/2014I was happy with our experience until I kept receiving this extensive review via email. It needs to be much shorter and customers should not be harassed and forced to type a report!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentchoobydooDined on 8/22/2014Food and service were excellent. As advertised best steak in Grand Rapids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 617 reviews are from the Louis Benton Steak House reviews archive.
- not their best effortOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014ive dined here before, all great experiences. this night, they didnt have my top 2 picks of wine on the menu in house. dinner took over an hour to get to us. they got my steak order wrong. then the bill was wrong...way wrong. they charged me for the more expensive steak that i never received and a bottle of Caymus we not only never drank, but they didnt even have in stock. on a good note, the steaks were fabulous as usual. other than Ruths Chris, i think they have the best tasting steak in town. they also gave us a big, but deserved discount, on the meal. so will i dine there again? absolutely. the steaks are really that good and this restaurant definitely deserves a second chance.
- 'Blackened dinner'FoodAdventurerDined on 7/25/2014Curious to try this for a special pre-concert dinner, it turns that we won't have a reason to return. The minute you walk in, its very dark - walls, tablecloths, lighting, and no real decor to speak of. We were delighted to find crab & lobster cakes for an appetizer to begin our adventure as we try these frequently. Theirs are not 'lump' style, but shredded, compact, dry, and served with a sauce that was too sweet and 'corn syrupy'. I could not 'fork' bites because the underside was 'blackened, but not on purpose, I suspect. The entire bottom was a burned, adhering plate. The entrees were better, but perhaps, seafood at a steak house was our mistake. The sea bass was burned, like the cakes, but the salmon flavorful, though 'oily'.Special Features:
- 2/5GRdinerDined on 5/15/2014Food was good but not the best steak I've had. Restaurant was absolutely dead. We were there for two hours and only saw two other tables. Service was rushed although I'm not quite sure why due to the lack of volume. Next time I want to drop 150.00 on dinner I'll go back to Leo's or Cygnus.
- One 3 tables occupied-For a Reason!Dan359Dined on 5/14/2014This was really bad!!!!! Only three tables were occupied in the whole restaurant. THIS WAS FOR A REASON!!! IT WAS REALLY POOR and I would not recommend this place. It is very very expensive and poor food and poor service. The menu was not correct - they had 4 items in the "House Specialty" area and our server said that they did not have 3 of the items. Apparently they were changing menus - Oh come on!!! then why give those to us. Service was very bad. It took a while to order our drinks and even longer to get them. After taking our drink order, the server came back and asked for appetizer and salad orders - she did not bring our drinks. We had to ask Delmonico steak was full of fat and poorly cooked
- Slow service2hammseatDined on 5/9/2014Food was excellent! Our server was pleasant but not as attentive as we would have liked. Food service was way too slow.Special Features:
- Big mistakeBurnedDined on 5/3/2014It's my wife's birthday so I reserve a table for 6. I should've known the place was maybe not so great when we walked into an empty restaurant on a Saturday night. The room was nice. The staff was friendly. It started with my wife ordering a particular item and then told 15 minutes later they didn't have that item. She ordered another item, and when it came to the table it was wrong, and cold. Not to mention, the veggies were wrong, at which point they then told her they didn't have what she requested. Even though it was on the menu. My prime rib was cold and was soaked in salt. Couldn't eat it. The waiter took the two bad meals off, no manager spoke to us and they gave a free desert. Point is, dinner was ruined. Missed all the basics.
- Birthday CelebrationkellykDined on 4/24/2014We had a great Birthday celebration for my husband. The food was amazing, it was a relaxed atmosphere and a couple of the staff even sang to him. Great night!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2014My wife and I had an AWESOME experience here. The food was outstanding! I had the balsamic olive burger that was delicious and had a ton of flavor. The wait staff was very welcoming and professional. Great atmosphere. We were even surprised by the management with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries for our anniversary. LBs really made me look good:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what I expectedanniversaryDined on 4/9/2014This was our first time going for our Anniversary. I contacted them a week before we arrived to let them know. We were seated right next to the bar with no privacy. We received a bottle of champagne from Louis Benton dinging rewards and Ofcourse the rude waitress had to inform us that she never saw this and left for about 20 mins. This was the routine all night. Valet group was nice..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced and bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2014Good was over priced. My New York Strip was extremely fatty and tough. My girlfriend's lobster tail wasn't cooked fully. The spinach dip had way to much garlic and the waitress didn't know anything about her wine list. Wouldn't eat there again not would I recommend eating there to anyone. I receive a better New York Strip at Texas Road House and the steak there is almost half the price.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014The prime rib was melt-in-my-mouth wonderful. Dining partner's rib eye was well seasoned. We felt the Brussels sprouts were a little salty probably due to the bacon. But potatoes and asparagus were done right. Asparagus had just enough crunch. Dining experience would be repeated more often if not so pricey. So this is a special occasion place for me.Special Features:
- The restaurant is beautifulJillDined on 3/8/2014The restaurant is beautiful and we had a great time. A couple things stand out that could be improved: The setting is beautiful but it is a bit dark leading from the hostess stand into the restaurant and really dark heading into the lounge. It was also really cold at our table. Our waiter Andrew was awesome. Very helpful and friendly. One thing that was kind of a letdown was the bread. I thought is was going to be something special but it was very dry and bland. I ordered the lobster mac and cheese. I loved the sauce and the pasta but there was such a small amount of lobster and the was too much salt on the dish. Also, my boyfriend's steak was fantastic but neither of us could eat the asparagus because it was so salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerfirsttimerDined on 3/8/2014Very nice atmosphere. Food was very good and service was very good also. The only thing we would have changed is to have the background music not quite so loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atmosphere of the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014Atmosphere of the restaurant was romantic and elegant. Great menu; all the classics but with a modern twist and lots of options for the non-steak diner. I appreciated the great wine list with exceptional choices for wine by the glass. All the staff from the valet to our waiter was friendly and knowledgable. Our waiter offered great tips about the menu. We had an excellent dining experience and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceLuv2eatDined on 3/1/2014Nothing like friendly Valet parking on a cold snowy night. Was greeted with a big smile as hostess checked our coats. Our server Samantha was spot on with some suggestions. Steak Bruschetta for starters, stuffed olives in the Martinis, A must have- Grilled Caesar salad . My wife loved the Lobster Mac and Cheese, I the mouth watering Osso Buco accompanied by delicious Brussels with Bacon. For desert, was pleasantly surprised when the pastry chef arrived with a huge slice of Carrot Cake. As we got ready to leave, our server offered to buy the first round in LB Lounge, which we politely agreed to, and followed her into the packed lounge for some great live Blues music and a nightcap. Super Time, Super Place, we will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellant ExperiencepuckheadDined on 2/22/2014Have never before dined here. Was a very pleasant experience and will try to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!BirthdayCelebrationDined on 2/22/2014We ate here last weekend for my dad's birthday celebration. Wow, what a place to go to to celebrate one's birthday. Truly amazing. We all had amazing drinks - whiskey reserve, beer, and LB's White Sangrias. The grilled caesar salad is refreshing and crisp. My dad and boyfriend each got a steak and they said they have never had a better steak in their LIFE! Our server, Andrew, was amazing. He consistently checked on us, made sure we were happy, escorted us to the restroom, and was very thoughtful and respectful of my gluten allergy. After dinner, we were trying to find somewhere to watch a basketball game and our server offered to buy our first round at LB's Lounge and got us seats right in front of a TV with the game on. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2014the food, service and ambiance was fantastic. Great wine list. we had a wonderful timeSpecial Features:
- totally disappointedInTheBusinessDined on 2/15/2014Mussels were bland, cold, and served five that were dead previous to being cooked. Delmonico was ordered MR served raw and it was an end cut which should not be served in a "steakhouse". Asparagus was undercooked so much i snapped it. Potatoes tasted instant. Scallops were undercooked and colorless. Meaning they don't know how to sear a Scallops. Sauce was indescribable and flavorless Bread was a joke and served with disposable plastic ramekins of butter. Salad and cheesecake were good. Service was good. Every girl received a rose upon entering except my girlfriend.
- Excellent Service!caitec23Dined on 2/14/2014Our server was incredible. My best friend and I went there to celebrate our first Valentines day alone in many years. Our server laughed with us and we found that she loved the same show my best friend and I bonded over!! Unfortunately, I can not remember her name but she was definitely impressive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time But Not Last TimeRibeyeLoverDined on 2/14/2014The wait staff was very attentive, conversational and overall treated us very well. The rose I received for Valentine's Day was an added bonus. The food was delicious! I would definitely recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All about ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Pete our server was awesome. We were there for Valentine dinner with friends. All of our dinners were not the quality that we expected. We asked for the manager and she was awesome. Jackie comped our meals and we were not looking for that. She wanted us to come back and give them another try. I was impressed and all four of us will be back. Being an owner of a business I know that you can not deliver perfection every time. I want to thank Pete for his service at our table and Jackie for doing an outstanding job handling the situation. We will see you both soon. Thank you both for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really enjoyed my time atjconklin9Dined on 2/14/2014I really enjoyed my time at Louis Benton. The wait staff was very helpful, friendly, and attentive. I food was fantastic and large portions. The coat check was a great convinence and I enjoyed getting a rose on Valentine's Day. I would recommend this place again!Special Features:
- Early Valentine's Day DinnerMikeDined on 2/13/2014I took my wife here the day before V-day because so we wouldn't have to fight the crowds/traffic. From the moment we arrived, the service was great. Valet jumped off the curb to let my wife out of the car, they checked our coats, and we were at our table in less than 2 minutes. We got the steak bruschetta appetizer, which was delicious, and salads. Drinks were tasty, not watered down, and our waiter was very attentive and friendly. The atmosphere was dark and quiet, which we like, and we didn't have to wait long for our entrees. I had the prime rib, which was the best I've had in my life. My wife got the salmon, and she loved as well. No complaints at all. Fantastic night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was absolutely GREATHisroseDined on 2/13/2014The food was absolutely GREAT !!! Full of flavor. The staff was a class act all the way. The portions were perfect. It was Awesome. We would recommend this to anyone. Have eaten at several Steak houses in Grand Rapids, this is by far the best. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2014We had our first dining experience at Louis Benton this past weekend and it was absolutely fantastic. Samantha was our server and she was a gem! She was very sweet and made us feel very comfortable. The service was excellent, the food was top notch and the wine list could not have been better. We will definitely be coming back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price does not equal expectationsSgtRockDined on 1/25/2014The ingredients are there....execution was not up to expectations. Took my wife out for late evening anniversary dinner. Service was very good, the building was well done, but the food was only average. My wife found the lobster tail to be over-seasoned with what she perceived to be Lawry's seasoned salt. I found my ribeye to be average tasting at best with the mashed potatoes overheated presumably by microwave. However, the carrotcake was great! I dont mind spending the money as long as I get what I pay for...so either lower prices or make the food exceptional. It was also very loud due to a party in the main dining room that they sat us right next to. Final tally for 2 (with only two beers) was $158.
- Time to wake upOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/17/2014Poor wait staff, food overlcooked I believe this place will not last much longer unless they get there act together.
- NYEmidinerDined on 12/31/2013This is the second time I have been to this restaurant. The food was excellent, but I was disappointed by the service. It was NYE and the service was not what we had experienced before. Once we sat down at our table, we had to wait about 10 minutes for someone tocoe over. We felt very rushed through dinner, and our appetizer came out after our soup. They claimed they were fully booked for the evening, but at no point were all of the tables full. We actually counted 11 empty tables at one point. Lackluster service aside, the food was great. I feel like they werent properly prepared for the NYE crowd. I would go back, but not on a special holiday. When we had previously gone on a random weekend, our server was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.