1289 North Palm Avenue
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: (941) 552-9688
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for light breakfast, coffee, lunch and dinner, Monday - Sunday 7:00 am - Close
Barista Coffee Bar & light breakfast bites begins at 7 am
Lunch service at Louies Modern, 11:30 am - 4 pm
Dinner service, 4 pm to close
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar
A word from Louie's Modern
Downtown Sarasota’s newest dining hotspot on the street level of the award-winning Palm Avenue Garage showcases culinary ingenuity, freshness and quality. From creative light bites such a to small plates and entrees and price points from $4-$24, diners can enjoy an interactive dining experience of Classical Modern cuisine including an open air kitchen and wood burning oven and grill.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Louie's Modern - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Louie's Modern reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)hot spot (55)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (46)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (41)great for outdoor dining (32)romantic (27)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (24)late-night find (13)great for brunch (12)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Louie's Modern is one of my favorites...but...HappyinSarasotaVIPDined on 11/24/2014This visit LM offered reduced vegan options and the service wasn't quite up to their usual standard. I hope the kitchen will reintroduce a second Vegan choice...I took guests (likewise Vegan), telling them about the wonderful options usually available. I suspect the menu is limited for the holiday week...The Tuscan Bean Soup still on offer is delicious... There appear to be a number of new busboys, who are still getting on their feet. for example, kept pouring regular water into Sparkling water filled glasses. I think the world of this restaurant and know that any small imperfections will be fixed quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/21/2014overall excellent food and dining experience. Attentive servers a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theater DinnerFriendsDined on 11/21/2014Food was good as expected. (Been here before). Service lacked consistency. Trouble getting everyones meal to the table at the same time. (Group of 8) Service seemed disorganized. Two people had to wat 5 min while the others had their meal. 2 people had to wait(10 min.) for cappacino while the others sipped their coffee. Errors on tabs. This was not the case last time we dined when the place first opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Hot SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014The perfect venue to entertain a client. We sat in a booth and were very comfortable on a cold day. We still felt a part of the energy in the room- the restaurant was packed! We ordered the pumpkin seed, apple and maple puree soup which was outstanding. The kale caesar with scallops was perfection. We were tempted by the cinnamon donut with melted chocolate to dip that we saw at another table, but settled for cappuccinos, which were still nice. Our server, Kaylee, was very friendly and attentive. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Nowhere else in downtown Sarasota can you find an dining experience equal to Louie's Modern. Parking is easy, in the garage adjacent to the restaurant. I went on a cold, wet day and did not have to be exposed to the elements! The menu offers a wide array of choices for healthy eaters- many vegan options. The staff is kind, attentive and prompt. Alex waited on us today and she was fabulous. The new GM, Eric Hale, stopped by the table to check on us. The Kale Caesar salad is outstanding- better than any Kale salad I have had, bar none. I had grilled salmon over the top, combined with caramelized onions- perfection! My dining partner had the black and blue flatbread and allowed me a taste- a wonderful combination. The place was buzzing with diners. Open kitchen and beautiful space, a very urban experience. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- starrynitesDined on 11/15/2014This was our third visit to Louis Modern, one lunch and two dinners. We loved everything about this restaurant the first two times but this visit will probably keep us away for quite a while. The service was disjointed and confused (confusing). We initially had two different waiters come to the table to say they would be taking care of us, but then no one approached table for at least 20 minutes. Then a third waiter said he would be taking care of us, then left to do another table. We waited at least 10 more minutes before someone took our drink order; this was waiter #2, who we never saw again. Drinks finally arrived, after two more attempts to flag someone down. We ordered dinner before the waiter could get away. The food, as always, was wonderful but the chaotic staffing was jarring, and a little humorous. We thought that maybe they were trying out a tag team approach to dining? Whatever the intent the result was unsuccessful
- Great vibe, but not so great foodJerseyDined on 11/14/2014The atmosphere and ambiance is fun and trendy. The bar has very god and interesting drinks. We really liked the open kitchen. However, the food it produces is mediocre at best. It is almost like they are trying too hard. Too many combinations in the ingredients. Not really a great selection. When the food arrived, we had to send it back because it was cold. The server seemed harried and we had to wait to get a drink order place. It wasn't till the the crowd thinned out that we received a normal level of service. We really liked the vibe of Louie's Modern. Unfortunately, it has a ways to go to have the food catch up.Special Features:
- Not for finicky eaters...susanDined on 11/12/2014was very disappointed they took the steak sandwich off the menu. I ordered the crabcake. Only one crabcake for 16 ...should have been at least 2 since it didn't come with anything else.
- Innovative food superb wine list service attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2014Beautiful decor great attention to detail many Vegan and vegetarian optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014food excellent. Service continues to be below standards of facility and food. The staff is too busy talking and not watching their tables for attention. Duck portion was too large for our guests who consumed more than they should have of a rich dish. May consider portion. but no complaint for food quality and presentation. We will return!Special Features:
- Great expectationsEllenArtistVIPDined on 11/7/20146 of us dined at a too small round banquet on Friday before our symphony tickets, we had a 5:45 reservation and told our waiter we had to be out for 7:30 We were told no problem we have 12 in wait staff. We all ordered small plates had one drink and our waiter disappeared. Thinking we had plenty of time we ordered coffee and a check. Which at 7:40 hadn't come. When we searched for our waiter to cancel the coffee and pay the bill... He said to us "Oh I got busy"....which was a far cry from We have plenty of help! Its unfortunate that the six of us had to pay $76.00 for a dinner that ended in a fire drill. Very disappointing, this is the 3 time we have had to run out of there before an event.
- Great overallOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/6/2014Overall a great experience. Great ambience with beautiful decor. Started with cocktails which are the most unique in the city. Dinner menu interesting and very seasonal. Food was great and service Matched. Will return for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing find in SarasotaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2014Amazing experience!!! Wonderful service and food. We will definitely be brining our friends here when they come to visit!!Special Features:
- Filled up FasteatoutalotDined on 11/5/2014We had an early reservation before the theater, we started off alone and the room filled up very quickly with other on the same mission. we never felt rushed nor was the service slow. Excellent. The serving staff were very personable and quick to accomodate our needs. We love this restaurant and always return during the season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Louie'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/5/2014Glad there are so many healthy options. Lunch was delicious.Special Features:
- This was amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2014The place is beautiful, The service has improved greatly, My server told me that they had hired a new general manager and it surely shows. They also have a reserve wine list which we were very impressed with. The new manager is also a sommelier which is very appealing as most restaurants in Sarasota do not have one. Really good meal, great service, great ambiance. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014All was very enjoyable, but background music was much too loud...had to ask server to get it turned down. Type of music also not desirable for quiet, romantic experience.Special Features:
- Always something to enjoy at LouisAvidDinerVIPDined on 11/1/2014The tasting menu is a work in progress. A reasonably priced ($10) wine flight is an attractive feature but the hit-or-miss quality of the other offerings adds an element of risk to the dining experience. The miniscule desert trio of three tiny spoonfulls is not something to linger over. Nonetheless, the bar is a big draw and the service is consistently accomodating. You can always manage to enjoy yourself at Louis's.Special Features:
- Room to improvepitterpatterDined on 11/1/2014I have eaten at Louie's Modern three times before last Saturday night. I had been pretty happy. However the menu has changed and the portions seemed smaller. I know I left hungry- - - the minuscule bread portion was laughable. It seems like you want to appeal to foodies and just thought adding four more "fall" ingredients make it notable or gourmet. Is the wine also smaller?Special Features:
- PattyVDined on 11/1/2014We came early and left late:the service was attentive and courteous;the food was unexpectively good and different; I would recommend and will returnSpecial Features:
- MaineArtCollectorVIPDined on 10/31/2014We dined here for the first time last week; it won't be our last. The North Palm house cocktail (bourbon, amaretto, blood orange) was a delicious way to start. Each of us had a different selection from the new 4 course fall tasting menu. Every dish was great and the portions were just right. The wine pairing with each course was a great value. Last, but not least, our server was wonderful.Special Features:
- energetic vibeASRQVIPDined on 10/31/2014This is our third time at Louie's Modern and it never fails to impress. The food is consistently good, as is the service. Easiest restaurant in town for free and "as close as it gets" parking. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Something ChangedAdHocTravelerVIPDined on 10/30/2014We loved this restaurant when it first opened and rated it five stars. We were away from Sarasota for the summer, and upon coming back home went immediately to Louie's Modern, anticipating a great dining experience. It was not to be. Although the ambiance and the service were as before, the food was much diminished. The roast duck, which had always been perfect (I'd had it many times), was fatty and undercooked. The "sides" of Brussels sprouts and wild rice were heaped all over the plate, and the presentation was a gloppy mess. A whole fish was overcooked, and glopped with sides as well. The tuna was just ok; pork chops were fine. We will return because L's M has always been great and deserves another shot, but this was not good.
- neddieDined on 10/30/2014The service was below average compared to prior visitsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SO BAD!!PaulinePDined on 10/25/2014I wanted to love this place. It's has a great modern decor and vibe. We had a few small plates that were disappointing but we chalked it up to not being able to get anything except from their bar menu and maybe we made bad choices. I went back with my husband on Saturday night. It wasn't a good sign that the placemats doubled as our menu!! After removing the plate and silver ware so that we could read the menu printed on both sides. I got sea scallops. They were the size of very tiny day boat scallops, over done & no taste. The grilled veggies were good but I was expecting an inventive and well prepared meal. Husband's whole snapper was cooked perfectly but again not very interesting. We will not go back. No compelling reason to try
- NanaDined on 10/24/2014We had an excellent server and totally enjoyed our entire eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayVallibVIPDined on 10/24/2014Louie's changed their menu. The short ribs were dry and not nearly as good as the original recipe. Bring the old version back!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/23/2014Sent 2 dishes back and refused a replacement. One persons meal sent back because it was came out rare and ordered it medium and when it came back it still was rare. Will not return.
- Always pleased with experienceJanieDined on 10/16/2014Food is consistently good. Service always good. Parking lot great plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now of my FavoritesbifbifDined on 10/13/2014Louie's Modern is a great addition to Sarasota dining. The atmosphere, staff, ambience, bar, wine list and menu are all superb. I have never had a bad menu choice at Louie's. I have recommend Louie's to many friends and acquaintances and have always had positive feedback. One of my number one go-to restaurants. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's all the hype about?SonitaDined on 10/11/2014The food was a little average this time. I mean it was good but for example the broccoli was way overcooked and more on the soggy side in my opinion. The server seemed new and we had to ask her a lot for items and could barely hear her talk. She mentioned the special but there was no explanation just the title of the special. The red wine was room temp which we prefer cellar temp for red wine! I do like that they have a Somm there to pour the wine though! We will be back but I wasn't extremely impressed this time. Hopefully it was just an off night in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Louie's Modern4923005Dined on 10/11/2014Louie's Modern is a favorite of ours; it never disappoints.Special Features:
- An Urban OasisNannyVIPDined on 9/29/2014Louie's Modern was a pleasure to have a special lunch!! The lighting, decor, service, and cuisine is fantastic and easy to have a conversation!Special Features:
- Went back again the next night!SaltlakevisitorDined on 9/25/2014My mom (Sarasota denizen) had heard of Louie's and suggested we go. She is 98 and blind but all her palate is still operating full tilt. She LOVED it, and so did I. Great variety of options and everything we had was a great adventure. So we went back the next night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014I had a problem with the reservation. Made it on line wanted it for 7 and they said could not come them 6:30 or 7:30. We were there for our 6:30 reservation and the place was empty all night long.Special Features:
- Super spot with great food!TresBonCuisineDined on 9/20/2014Great spot for weekend night out. Must try the Buratta Salad served on chilled salt slab...delicious!Special Features:
- Perfect nightNancyVIPDined on 9/20/2014This is definitely my favorite srq find. Great food, ambiance and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LightingTroyDined on 9/17/2014The BLUE lighting is very distracting NOT GOOD, distracted from the nice ambiance before you used it. The service and the food is outstanding but this would be a big mediative food coming in again,Special Features:
- Wait staff-donzimikeDined on 9/17/2014One of your wait staff needs training-Had a chip out of the rim on a martini glass and she said she wold strain it and bring it back-Really-Also we must have been early and the bread was dried out and she said that is how it comes-We've been at dinner and lunch before and that is not the fact-Food is really good and we like your spot-Good Luck in the future-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff was Great -and Food too!HappyinSarasotaVIPDined on 9/15/2014We hosted a group of six for dinner and asked for two tables to be combined instead of a booth, (which does sit 6 as well). The team was wonderful, made it happen fast. Louie's Modern is one of my favorites --and our guests all loved their food, too. The staff is consistently friendly, well trained and accommodating. They work hard to deal with food sensitivities etc. I eat there at least once a week--and this week, twice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.