1289 North Palm Avenue
Sarasota, FL 34236Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 9415529688x
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for light breakfast, coffee, lunch and dinner, Monday - Sunday 7:00 am - Close
Barista Coffee Bar & light breakfast bites begins at 7 am
Lunch service at Louies Modern, 11:30 am - 4 pm
Dinner service, 4 pm to close
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar
A word from Louie's Modern
Downtown Sarasota’s newest dining hotspot on the street level of the award-winning Palm Avenue Garage showcases culinary ingenuity, freshness and quality. From creative light bites such a to small plates and entrees and price points from $4-$24, diners can enjoy an interactive dining experience of Classical Modern cuisine including an open air kitchen and wood burning oven and grill.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Louie's Modern - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Louie's Modern reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)neighborhood gem (72)special occasion (57)hot spot (52)great for lunch (38)great for outdoor dining (38)vibrant bar scene (36)good for groups (35)great for brunch (24)romantic (21)late-night find (17)notable wine list (15)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Hit and miss summer menuAvidDinerVIPDined on 8/28/2014The summer$39 tasting menu is two steps forward and one step back. Actually a tumble. Among the limited choices, the pair of scallops and crab ravioli were quite the best, but the ahi tuna Asian style salad was too vinegary to be edible. Although there was a suggested wine pairing, no wine could possibly stand up to the mouth-puckering acidity of the dish. Dessert was a serving of tiny chocolate truffles that in most restaurants of this class are giveaways at the end of the meal. As is usually the case here, the service was pleasantly efficient and the bar continues to be top notch.Special Features:
- Always excellentrudytootieDined on 8/22/2014WE love Louie's Modern for a "downtown" evening out. Took our guest who hail from NY to dinner, and we all were very satisfied with the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmoshpereJewelsDined on 8/20/2014Felt like we were in New York! The atmosphere was beautiful in the center of the room. The appetizers looked divine and tasted very fresh. My kale and salmon salad was absolutely wonderful. Looking forward to going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014I have been to Louie's Modern a couple times. The ambience is great and it's in a spectacular location in downtown Sarasota. The food is excellent; I had a frittata and it was prepared well and the presentation is spectacular. I also drank a BrightEyes and I really enjoyed having a brunch cocktail with fresh pressed juice. I will return during the busy season to have their amazing brunch and bloody mary's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit over the topOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014The food was good, but a bit over the top. One of my pet peeves is when a restaurant uses a french word to make an ordinary dish sound mysterious. For example: Cuvee Short Rib - gorgonzola polenta, red cabbage confit, oven dried grapes. 1. Curvee is a french term used to describe wine in a batch vat or tank. In this case it seemed to be a sort of brisket 2. Confit (French) is a generic term for various kinds of food that have been cooked in oil or sugar water (syrup). Shredded cabbage here. I won't even bother with oven dried grapes as I did not even find any, but I can only assume they were raisins. Otherwise, a slightly overpriced but good diner.
- Great place, great foodEc1203Dined on 8/8/2014Absolutely great food and overall great place. Have eaten at many great restaraunts in NYC, LA and honestly this is right up there with them. A must try when in Sarasota.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeKDined on 8/7/2014Try their four course special for $39.95 and wine pairing for an extra $10. This was great and a real value. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- excellent exerienceDonaldVIPDined on 8/4/2014great food!!! EXCEPTIONALLY attentive service. Itesm on emnu were fresh and well prepared especially since it was a Monday and the executive chef was off. Well done!Special Features:
- foodiesDined on 8/1/2014There were 4 people in our party and everyone enjoyed their meal. We were there for a pre theater dinner. The selections were nice but pricey. We will come back again possibly for a lunch or brunch.Special Features:
- Delicious DinnwrDeega3Dined on 7/29/2014We have been wanting to try this restaurant out for some time and finally went for a nice family dinner. Everything was absolutely delicious and service was great. We loved everything about the restaurant and can't wait to dine there again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant experienceDeParisDined on 7/26/2014Very pleasant experience in (belated) first visit, pre-theater. Very attractive room; pleasant, knowledgeable and attentive server. Excellent gazpacho, excellent burger, only minus was beef tartare which included some gristly pieces. Very pleased with house cocktails.Special Features:
- cindiVIPDined on 7/23/2014Great modern setting. The food was great. Modern twists abound. Superior service
- So-so foodLunchieDined on 7/23/2014Lunched: scallop salad: scallops were seared right but noodles& dressing were blah. Companion hD Louis burger--nice presentation but sloppy slaw on burger ruined it. Chocolate donut dessert was ok but not great, also should arrive on service plate! Rolls w/ whipped butter---nobody whips butter anymore--stale & tired.Special Features:
- Excellent lunchSandiDined on 7/21/2014Our group of 5 women enjoyed the lunch, service, and ambiance!Special Features:
- My regular favorite!HappyinSarasotaVIPDined on 7/20/2014Louie's Modern gets it right...the food is great, service attentive and friendly, atmosphere feels "buzzy" enough to be fun, with the kitchen and ovens in full view. I have real dietary restrictions and they are able to modify dishes to fit. I take out of towners there when they visit and everyone has been delighted with the experience--keep it up, LM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre TheatreKrisDined on 7/19/2014This location is great for parking above, relaxing before the many performing opportunities offered by Sarasota. The food is fun and novel. The service is quick and responsive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!vbsrqDined on 7/18/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Louie's! Started with a drink in the bar...then a delicious dinner. Try the Kale Caesar Salad with salmon - fabulous! My husband loved his étouffée. And our server was wonderful - attentive, helpful with recommendations, and made a quick requested change without hesitation. I've already suggested to friends that we plan another night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Louie's was greatLuv2DineDined on 7/12/2014I had heard and read a lot about Louie's and we finally went on a date night. The food was so good we will definitely be back. I loved the feel of the restaurant. There were a lot of people there but the tables are nicely spaced so you don't feel like you are on top of the next table (or eating with them). The service was really good. Try the Shrubbery cocktail - so good.Special Features:
- Love this place!NancyVIPDined on 7/12/2014My go to place when I want a fun night and delicious meal. Best cocktails in Srq.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuddyweiserDined on 7/12/2014We did not care for the "techno" type of music, it really doesn't work well with an upscale dining experience and was not complimentary to the otherwise lovely environment. Might be okay for the bar area but felt it was totally inappropriate for the dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as thrilled this time...anthonyjvDined on 7/12/2014Beautiful restaurant--Sarasota meets Miami meets LA meets NY! Service was great. Drinks were great. Food, however, not so great. This was the second time eating there and remembered liking it more the first time. Our party decided to try the different "snacks" and "small plates" rather than have a larger meal. These were very uneven in value and quality. Two deviled eggs for $4.00? Delicious but worth the price? No. Same with the pimento grilled cheese--two very small quarter pieces for $6? The chicken and waffle drumstick was just odd--under the heavy batter was slimy chicken skin and very little meat. Other portions very small for the price--calamari and rosemary fries. Other restaurants in Sarasota are doing these better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemCLIFFSIDEVIPDined on 7/10/2014A downtown great place to eat Moving to the area used too excellent resturants from NYC area and Louie's hits the mark in Sarasota. Excellent service ,I have allergies staff able to accomate all requests Wonderful Kale Carasar salad great pairingsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VacationerSuburbaniteVIPDined on 7/5/2014New restaurant find. Have been to sister restaurant, and found this just as good if not better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice menu choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/3/2014we were six people for dinner before a production at Florida Studio Theater. All six enjoyed their meals, very nice choices from small plates to main dishes, price range varies so everyone can eat what they wish and spend what they wish. Nice cocktail menu, service very good as usual. Being summer before a holiday weekend, there were less people dining than in the past so noise was not a factor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentBertVIPDined on 7/2/2014Have been at Louie's many times and have always had a excellent experienceSpecial Features:
- Mg reviewMGReviewVIPDined on 7/1/2014No Manager presence during meal or when we left at 9.30 pm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014It was wonderful. The food is great. the place is beautiful. I love eating there.Special Features:
- Really good food/creative drinksalucashDined on 6/28/2014We had heard great things so decided to try it out. The menu/drink list is the placemat and had some really great, different choices. We had a glass of malbec and a special mixed vodka drink (Shrubbery - excellent!) as well as the very good assortment in the bread basket (yummy focaccia bread sticks and velvety butter). Lamb meatballs (small but tasty) on a bed a delicious couscous and the Barrata, a salt block with an heirloom tomato and very fresh mozzarella salad on top. Really good! Overall a good dinner with interesting food choices and twists on the classics. We may go back but will call the restaurant for better time options.Special Features:
- A find in SarasotaRichard13VIPDined on 6/26/2014A beautiful restaurant with great food and service, so good we returned a second night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TravellingfoodieDined on 6/26/2014Something for everyone. Gluten Free options, Vegetarian options. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic ambiance and great foodPickyeaterDined on 6/21/2014Start with a cocktail bc they were creative and different. We shared a lamb meatball app which had a subtle mint flavor. They were tasty and complimented the cocktails. Our entrees were excellent but the wood oven duck was truly outstanding. We're from NY and this felt like Manhattan dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very modern, in food and atmosphereMisoHungryDined on 6/21/2014Have dined 3 times now; service has always been great, very prompt to start and they let me take my time between courses. I really enjoy the atmosphere, it is clean, comfortable, and the noise level is lively. Louies has a very diverse and creative menu, very accommodating to vegetarians like me and meat lovers like my husband. The kale caesar is outstanding, very lemony and fresh tasting. Another stand out item was the burrata appetizer, the tomatoes were full of flavor and the salt block added some extra appeal both in looks and taste. Will definitely return to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome, simply awesome.DJayDined on 6/21/2014There a lot of restaurants in Sarasota, but while many claim to have a world class chef at the helm, many serve lackluster and unimaginative plates. Not true at Louie's Modern! We will return again and often. The food was excellent, service unparalleled and a very comfortable ambience that allows you to enjoy your evening. One of the best meals we have had in the are for quite sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014We were very impressed with our dining experience and would definitely dine here again. We had a great server and were treated very wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisefmpgDined on 6/21/2014The service was excellent, the food delicious, but it's really a noisy venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryVIPDined on 6/21/2014They need more summer items (lighter) on the menu.Special Features:
- Louie DeliversLkwdRnchFoodieDined on 6/15/2014My son and his wife took us to Louie's for Father's Day and we had a fun and tasty experience. Their Waffles and Biscuits Brunch was stocked with great and unique choices. The decor and ambience are a nice find on the increasingly vibrant downtown Sarasota restauranr scene. We plan to return to try Louie's Modern for dinner. A terrific dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & AtmosphereMarieBVIPDined on 6/14/2014We've been to Louie's Modern before but this time 4 of us went for Sarasota restaurant week - 3 courses for $29. Each course offered 3 very well thought out choices, not as sophisticated as the regular menu choices, but well executed. Portion sizes were also smaller than normal, and there was no side with my entree (a crab cake) other than literally a tablespoon of jicama slaw, but we found that we were all satisfied at the end of the meal. Decor and background music are modern and sexy.Special Features:
- Good food, bit noisyRPDinerDined on 6/14/2014Our table ordered both prix fixe and a al carte items and all found the food and presentation excellent, service good, but room a bit noisy. PS. Try one of their excellent and unusual cocktails.Special Features:
- 2dine2niteDined on 6/13/2014We had a great experience all around. Our drinks were great and lamb meat balls were delicoious. My loved the lemon cold soup.Special Features: