Lou & Mickey's
224 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Lou & Mickey's
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.louandmickeys.com/
- Phone: (619) 237-4900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: MONDAY - FRIDAY: 11:30 AM - 4:00pm PM
-NO VALET DURING LUNCH-
SUNDAY - THURSDAY: 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM
FRIDAY- SATURDAY: 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Lou & Mickey's can accomodate groups from 12-400. 2 private dining spaces, custom menus for sit-down dinners & receptions. Perfect for corporate meetings, rehearsal dinners & graduations.
A word from Lou & Mickey's
Gaslamp's "Favorite Steakhouse" is directly across the street from the San Diego Convention Center and two blocks from Petco Park. Join us for famous steaks, choice seafood, and exotic drinks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Lou & Mickey's - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Lou & Mickey's reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)great for outdoor dining (46)good for groups (37)notable wine list (34)romantic (32)fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (18)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Solid Steak PlaceTheDinerVIPDined on 11/9/2014A good meat and potatoes steakhouse with a lot of character.Special Features:
- Great for special occasions!woopsdzDined on 11/8/2014I surprised my husband with dinner at Lou and Mickey's for his birthday. They serve warm sourdough bread that melts in your mouth. I had the field greens salad to staft. Very fresh and I asked for ranch instead of the house dressing. For my entree, I had the 8 oz. filet mignon...one of the best I've ever had. I had it prepared medium well and it was perfect. Seasoning was wonderful. My husband had the Atlantic salmon served with a port wine reduction and loved it. We shared garlic mashed potatoes and sautéed corn. Delicious! We will definitely return in the future. They are currently renovating part of the restaurant. We ate inside but they have a huge patio that I bet would be nice to sit on during the evening and people watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConstructionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2014Everything was great overall. Would have appreciated being informed about the bar renovation in progress. thought the restaurant was closed as i approached it. the temporary entrance was also not clearly marked.Special Features:
- Overall FeedbackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014I was really impressed with the quality of the staff and service along with the ambiance of the place. It was a great place to bring a group and the food was amazing! I booked this on Open Table and took a chance with a large group. Wow! We all loved this place.Special Features:
- Classic Dining by Convention CenterDiningDivaDined on 10/27/2014I actually ate at Lou & Mickey's twice during a recent convention. Lunch was inside -- and it was very noisy. The food was fresh and delicious. I had the Crab Louie Salad. Went back for dinner and ate outside. Very pleasant indeed. Great steak perfectly cooked. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- FantasticTcaffDined on 10/26/2014We went to Lou and Mickey's on a Sunday night after walking past it the night before. Boy what a great decision. Located under the sign that welcomes you into the gaslamp district. It was one of the best meals I've ever had. In town for a professional conference, I dined with 3 of my staff and my gal and we all enjoyed fresh peruvian scallops, oysters from New Zealand, prime steaks, lamb, lobster, and local fresh fish. Everyone raved about the service and the food quality. I have recommended the restaurant to at least 10 others that were at the conference and each of them that went told me "that was the best meal I've had in quite a while." What can I say? I know how to pick them! Definitely recommend Lou and Mickey'sSpecial Features:
- Good night at Lou and Mickey'sdrs13Dined on 10/25/2014We had a great evening at Lou And Mickey's. The rolls were a sourdough style and very good. The bisque and chowder were both exceptional. My cohort had steak and remarked how good it was and I had the Mahi Mahi which was prepared well. We had the half of a mashed potatoes side and the broccoli side, The half portion was all that 2 people needed.Special Features:
- Great foodKendelmmDined on 10/19/2014We had a great time and great food! Our waiter was very attentive and the managers were great too. I brought in a cake for my moms birthday and they were very helpful with keeping the surprise. We all had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as usual!!!MoboDined on 10/12/2014Lou & Mickey's always amazes!!!! Even gave my hubby a free dessert for his birthday!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome eatery with good service4ChaosDined on 10/11/2014Fine dining, good location. Offers valet service, but nice to walk the Gaslamp.. Will definately return..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad foodHatrickDined on 10/5/2014Steaks were badly over cooked. What they called char broiled was actually badly burnt and tough. Steaks were not seasoned either. We were sat on patio right by door which was hitting my fiancées chair every time it opened. Bad experience.
- WayneAZVIPDined on 10/4/2014Great raw bar and appetizers'. My favorite dinner, is a dozen oysters, salad and a couple of appetizer's in lieu of a full entrée. Occasionally, enjoy having one of their great steaks or seafood entree's. My favorite restaurant in the Gas Lamp District.Special Features:
- Very Good place to gotktoutdinnerDined on 10/4/2014we had some friends coming from Mexico and they love it allSpecial Features:
- Pre-concert dinnerfoodieheavenDined on 9/28/2014We arrived early for dinner prior to a concert. I fully expected to wait in the bar area. I was told the bar area was full and if I did not mind, I would be seated at my reserved table. No problem. Dinner was stress free. I don't think that side dishes (French fries) should be an added fee however. I understand if the sides are unique but a potato doesn't cost that much! Everything else was perfect. We've talked about it for several days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tourist spotDmonty413VIPDined on 9/26/2014It is in a great spot in the gaslamp quarter. Great outdoors eating and excellent service. My halibut was a little overlooked but everything else was wonderful.Special Features:
- Awesome FoodChewieDined on 9/19/2014This was my second time dining at Lou and Mickey's and we ordered the same thing. Bone-in ribeye and Seafood platter. The seafood is fresh, the ribeye was cooked to perfection. Everything was great. We did enjoy the first experience better though. I felt like I was working a lot harder for the seafood the second time. There is also a variety of sauces that comes with the platter. I wish it was explained to us what goes well with what. Overall, it was a great experience though and I would definitely visit again the next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Great food. Steak cooked properly and very tasty. Favorite part was the caramel apple crisp.Special Features:
- Good food. Nice service but...MehhhVIPDined on 9/16/2014As the title says food was good. Service by Ashley was exceptional. Prices are exorbitant. Thing Las Vegas Casino Steakhouse. Too many other options in The Gaslamp to return for me.
- Lou & Mickey's is Gaslamp's finest.desertbirdDined on 9/13/2014Incredible raw bar, delicious, reasonable cocktails, and some off the best prime cuts San Diego has to offer. Their menu includes new cuts like a "bone-in filet" as well as the classic "baseball sirloin" which is not a very common cut anymore. I've had them both, and they rank tied for #1 on my list of favorites here. L&M's is the place my wife and I prefer when we do Gaslamp, and this last trip we brought some friends whom were equally impressed. Dress nice, enjoy the ambience, then grab your Chargers jersey and finish the night off in the quarter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY Style Steak House in SDPDSdinesoutDined on 9/13/2014There are several optioins now in the vibrant and youthful Gas Lamp Disctrict of San Diego - Steaks and Seafood are moderatley priced and you will enjoy yourself - I wish I could put this in the Morton's catagory but I can't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the money.NancyJoDined on 9/13/2014We were seated outside at a table with a dirty tablecloth. Since we were completely ignored by the waitstaff for the first 15 minutes we were there, I had time to clean it myself. When the waiter took our drink order it turned out that they did not have the wine on hand that we requested. The food was very good, and the waiter (once he waited on us) was great. However, I would have expected a better overall experience for the hundreds of dollars we spent there. We won't go back.Special Features:
- a great steak house!musiczmanDined on 9/13/2014a really great find in downtown san diego! the food, service and atmosphere was outstanding. it does get a little noisy at times but overall, an amazing experience for anyone that remembers what a great steakhouse should look like and be. this place is it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old time feelKazoo223Dined on 9/12/2014Best known for its beef/steaks. Ambience was great. Service excellent! Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DavidWashIngtonVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had been here last year and this is the reason that we came back for our vacation this year. Turns out, once was enough. We actually had the same server and she was wonderful. HOWEVER-- my crab cakes were horrible and undercooked. My spouses steak was over done. The bread rolls were not fully cooked and the butter was frozen (not a good combination). The mac and cheese appetizer was not bad. Overall, going here once is great, but as a place to return to-- nope. Lots of other places in the Gaslamp area to eat at.Special Features:
- Great steak!GrubberVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had dinner here on a sat night. Place was busy but service was excellent. We had a delay in getting our steaks so manager apologized and gave us free appetizer and drinks. Steaks were some of the best we've ever had. Will Definately go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abananasDined on 9/6/2014We love that we can get excellent, fresh seafood and steak here. Everything was cooked perfect and all the sauces for our food was amazing. To top off our enjoyable dinner, our waiter (Juan) was very attentive, gave great recommendations, and was able to handle our picky group.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2014The food was expensive, but excellent! Our waiter was attentive, friendly and professional. It did get a little noisy as the crowd built and it was difficult to hear each other across the table in our party of 6Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeterB11558Dined on 8/25/2014Great meal and outstanding service. We had our meal at the end of the Lunch service (3:30PM reservation), with a very attentive staff. Dined in outdoor garden, with hustle and bustle of city (railroad crossing gate) and near convention center and baseball stadium.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anothergreatoneDined on 8/22/2014It was a very expensive dinner. However, the food was top notch and the service outstanding. A great variety of chilled shellfish. Top grade beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Birthday DinnerMariaBDined on 8/22/2014This was our second time having dinner at Lou & Mickey's and it was absolutely fantastic. We started with the goat cheese and roasted garlic appetizer (amazing), then my husband had the baseball cut filet and I had the filet three-way (three different sauces). I had a wonderful grasshopper drink that tasted exactly like an Andes Mint and he had the Shark's Tooth (tropical drink). They let him select any dessert he wanted on the house for his birthday, so we split their sundae (homemade vanilla and chocolate ice cream, fudge sauce and carmelized pecans). Everything was wonderful and the service was top-notch. We will make this a regular stop when we are down in San Diego for dinner.Special Features:
- Sub-par for the priceJeffADined on 8/14/2014We have been to many Prime Steak restaurants and don't mind paying for a really awesome meal, but the just was not up to the standard that we expect for a $50 steak (with sides extra). Don't get me wrong, it was a _good_ steak, and the service was _good_, but both lacked sizzle. If this were a $30 steak (including sides) it would be rated higher. Just one more thing... the martini had two olives, which is somewhat of a faux pas for martini lovers.
- Excellent cookMarDeg50Dined on 8/10/2014Hi. This place is in a busy downtown area between buildings very close to train station and the Convention Center, with some attractive view. So, It isn't it's a little noisy and then a lot of people walking around great if you like to see a lot of peoples when you enjoying your meal.I make a reservationI am beginning to find something at the Coronado. I thought I going to be at the Coronado Lou,..when I figured it out its in a downtown I just leave it there and I'll come over.Great New Orleans Shrimps appetizer I recommended! Great parking $15.French onion soup I ask for not 2 heavy stuff, was to cheese for me. Homeless man stop and bother for quick group Glass of chardonnay great w file Mignon a baked 2 big potato & asparagus.Total $150.Special Features:
- Amazing Experience All Around!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Lou & Mickey's was the best dining experience that I have had in a long time! The food was great, the service was great, the drinks were great...really, EVERYTHING was great! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who can afford it! Definitely worth the price though!Special Features:
- Fantastic SteaksDinDin4meVIPDined on 8/3/2014If you are into steaks this is the place to be. Had the filet mignon and it was cooked to perfection (rare and juicy). Service was outstanding. Our waiter very well versed in wine selection and the steaks on hand. I was disappointed that Lou & Mickey's did not offer hot lava cake on the dessert menu. Slight oversight, overall experience was well worth it. Thanks Lou & Mickey's for a fabulous steak din din!!Special Features:
- Great steaks!boscobelanger1Dined on 8/1/2014The steaks here are awesome! We made a reservation at the last minute and they honored it even though we were 15 minutes late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gaslamp Finestchill1Dined on 7/29/2014I thought the Service was awesome. The staff was very Friendly and accommodating, the manager even helped me tie my Bow Tie so needless to say he went above and beyond for a customer. It was my wife and I 8th year anniversary and the waiter took note of that and made an extra effort to ensure that we had a wonderful dinning experience. The food was excellent & I would recommend anyone to visit. We had an 20oz bone - in Rib Eye and it was cooked to perfection. Bravo GuysSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 546 reviews are from the Lou & Mickey's reviews archive.
- Great experienceMikeVIPDined on 7/27/2014Took a group or work colleagues. Food is terrific and high quality. Great wine list with impressive display. The staff was professional and friendly, our waiter made it fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!!drumDined on 7/26/2014L&m showed my wife an amazing dinner during h e r bday and comic-con saturday. Foods amazing, view was even better!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food amid the ComicCon chaos!DowntowndinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014Great view and even better food during ComicCon! Service was prompt even with the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So happy they are open during SDCC!FrankWDined on 7/24/2014Was excited to see that during my trip to Comic Con this year they were open again. With cnet buying them out for the last few years to use as their headquarters, it had been a number of disappointing trips to SD. But back to normal, and hopefully for a few years! Great food, excellent crab cake, I was in heaven!Special Features: