Lotus Thai - Hillcrest
3761 Sixth Ave.
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Lotus Thai - Hillcrest
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lotusthaisd.com/hillcrest/hillcrest.html
- Phone: 6192998292
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Lotus Thai - Hillcrest
The flavors and elegance of modern Thai cuisine unfold at Lotus Thai, award winning Thai restaurant and bar located in downtown San Diego. Lotus Thai presents a menu honoring regional recipes from Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Southern Thailand.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lotus Thai - Hillcrest reviews from OpenTable diners
- The food was great and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013The food was great and the service was fast; even on v-day!Special Features:
- We were seated right awayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We were seated right away on Valentines Day! Btw, the drunken noodle is AMAZING!!!Special Features:
- Ive been here before, butSDrookieandVetDined on 2/14/2013Ive been here before, but this time I went for Valentines day. The service was kinda slow, but considering how busy. Wasnt to bad, food was great! Drinks were great! Its nice that they validate parking at the parking lot caddy corner from there place.Special Features:
- A Very Pleasant ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2013I'm not a Thai food expert but the food was well presented and flavorful. Prices are reasonable. Wait staff was very friendly and attentive. We were too late for happy hour but that looks like a really good deal! Parking was easy and validated at the lot kitty-corner from the restaurant. Would definitely go back and recommend Lotus Thai to a friend.
- Our party of 8 for a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/17/2013Our party of 8 for a birthday for my granddaughter was excellent. After our meals, the waitresses dimmed the lights throughout the restaurant, then they, we, and other patrons broke into song--Happy Birthday. Then the waitresses brought coconut ice cream (with a candle in it) and a present of a nice picture frame. A Fabulous time!!! William ThomasSpecial Features:
- Food was too spicy- we orderedJanislDined on 1/16/2013Food was too spicy- we ordered 2 out of 10 spiciness. Mango in desert was not ripe.
- Food was great, although serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/11/2013Food was great, although service wasn't at the same level. We were left sitting there for a long time waiting for the check. To their credit, they gave us a free dessert, but i would've just preferred the check in a timely manner without the extra calories.
- We've been to Lotus Thai amartyDined on 12/5/2012We've been to Lotus Thai a number of times and always found the service and food to be excellent. However, on this occasion, the service was inadequate. we were ignored for a good twenty minutes before anyone came to take our order. It didn't improve much from there.Special Features:
- Group DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012We had a reservation for 20 and they only put one server on our table, drinks, dinner and check were slow to come. Food was very good. Drinks were fair. Don't order a martini unless you like it in a wine glass - fail.
- Ordered a selection of entreesKozandiegoDined on 11/24/2012Ordered a selection of entrees and appetizers but all the sauces seemed to have thick sauces which seemed unusual for thai food. Flavors were good.Special Features:
- We had a lovely time at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/4/2012We had a lovely time at this restaurant. It was close by, food was delicious. Love the Mission microbrew!Special Features:
- We always love Lotus Thai..........Horn2trDined on 10/20/2012We always love Lotus Thai............the food is always great, service was not up to par this time, maybe because we had a group of 10.Special Features:
- We were visiting San DiegoOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/21/2012We were visiting San Diego and this had good yelp reviews for vegetarian items. The waiter was very aware of any food allergies/dietary needs and was very helpful. The entrance has a wonderful indoor wall of water and statues, so the ambiance was very peaceful and serene. We had very good service and went back again during our vacation. Many interesting menu items not always found by us on Thai menus. We had to eat early so I can't say anything about what it's like late at night. Also, the free parking in this area is a plus.Special Features:
- There were some misunderstandingsJanislDined on 9/7/2012There were some misunderstandings during our visit there. Mainly because so many people try to help you which is good thing but sometimes things get lost. I ordered mild curry and got spicy. Nobody came to check how we doing. Water lady kept refilling water too often. She asked if I want more and I said no. She still reached over and filled it. Language barrier? After finishing entree we had spilled rice on the table- they picked up dishes but never picked the rice which stayed on the middle of the table till we left. Waitress never offered desert and brought us the bill before we out tell something. After we ordered desert and were waiting for it another waitress brough us the bill again. We said that we are waiting for desert and no r
- Our drinks tasted wateredOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2012Our drinks tasted watered down. The "bartender" must have shaken it with ice too long. You only need to give it a brisk shake of 3-4 times. Our server, a taller Asian guy did not check in with us very often and our request for no cilantro on anything was met with a big mound of it in my Tom Kha. Food was obviously fantastic. Lotus Thai never lets you down in that regard. The manager/owner came to check in with us frequently after the entree arrived so we definitely appreciated that. The hostess was so kind as to offer us a free 2-hour parking at the lot across the street since there was no parking on the street.Special Features:
- This is one of our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2012This is one of our favorite Thai restaurants. Amazing food!!!Special Features:
- 22 August 2012: Met severalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/201222 August 2012: Met several friends for dinner at Lotus Thai and could not have been happier, other than maybe a larger table vs. a booth. Service was prompt and the food was wonderful. Recommend the lettuce cups - amazing, but remember to put the accompanying sauce on the cups. We each had three different types of curry dish. Sampling each others made it difficult to find a favorite because all were delicious in their own way. I'll be back next time I'm in town.Special Features:
- Bad smell!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2012My girlfriend and I were actually very excited to try out lotus Thai. We usually go downtown or to taste of Thai right down the road. Well unfortunately when we walked trough the door we noticed a very awkward "bad" smell in the air. We didn't think anything of it but when we were seated the smell was even worse! So much so that we politely collected our things and walked out. We eat Thai food regularly enough to know that it wasn't just the smell of a dish that was served!
- Highly RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/18/2012Excellent wine list, extremely delicious food. I highly recommend this place will return when I visit San Diego again. Thanks you guysSpecial Features:
- The food and service wereDavidDined on 8/11/2012The food and service were great! The only thing I would recommend is that they have better blinds on the window because as the sun was setting, we had to move around our table to avoid the sun in our eyes. Otherwise, this was a really good dinner and we really enjoyed it!Special Features:
- Be aware that if you orderfoodnwinelvrVIPDined on 8/6/2012Be aware that if you order the chef special "Massaman Short Rib", that they meant "SPARE RIB". We were expecting beef short rib, but instead got pork spare ribs that were tough and tasted like they weren't fresh. The rest of our meal was good, not fantastic but solid. We have other Thai restaurants we like better.
- They accomodated my largeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2012They accomodated my large group very well and did not get impatient or frustrated when I wasn't sure how many people were showing up. Treated our group with respect and also gave us privacy when we needed it. The food came out very quick once we ordered it and everything was so delicious. Definitely my favorite restaurant in San Diego.Special Features:
- Food was absolutely delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2012Food was absolutely delicious. Portions were great for sharing. Everything tasted fresh. The waiters weren't on you every 10 mins to see how you were doing they would periodically check in. The manager at the end of the meal stopped by to see how we liked it. It was a lovely place and I will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- A San Diego Thai GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/26/2012Outstanding Thai food! Their menu is unique and the service was perfect! I highly recommend Lotus Thai!Special Features:
- Ambience was great, food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2012Ambience was great, food was awesome and the perfect Thai food in the area.Special Features:
- With at least seven Thai restaurantDoofusVIPDined on 5/16/2012With at least seven Thai restaurants within a half-mile of Sixth and University, Lotus and Amarin are the two best choices for very diverse menus and dependable fare.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2012Fantastic Food and service was good. Good prices too!Special Features:
- The salmon dish is very good.mbinstcharlesVIPDined on 4/27/2012The salmon dish is very good. The pot of Thai wonton soup has many more wontons than I was expecting and is very tasty. Service is poor though.
- Made a reservation for 6pm,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2012Made a reservation for 6pm, arrived just a few min before. I'd forgotten to tell them I had a reservation & they didn't ask if I had one, so we were seated. Half way threw our evening, the manager, "Kitty", rudely interrupted & asked if we had a reservation, "I said, yes, & apologized for not checking in". Kitty then, in front of everyone, started lecturing in on how we needed to check in, bla, bla, then walks away still talking.. I was speechless & amazed at what just happened! I could not enjoy the rest of the evening and said we just needed to leave & made sure to tell the manager, "Kitty", how rude it was of her the way she handled that in front of everyone & how that is no way to treat your customers. Kitty would not look at me!
- took my family there, whoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2012took my family there, who ordered a pretty standard chicken pad thai, masaman curry, tropical chicken and island fried rice. everything was amazing! I live closer to a certain thai restaurant off university avenue (about a mile east) who everyone raves about, but personally I think lotus thai is much better.Special Features:
- The only negative was theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2012The only negative was the parking. I found out I could get a ticket from you for parking and was able to find a parking spot. Thank you.Special Features:
- Food could have been a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/2/2012Food could have been a little hotter and also the kuri wasnt spicy enough and was ordered spicy.Special Features:
- Wonderful service wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2012Wonderful service wonderful food everything was perfect
- Everything is wonderful thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2012Everything is wonderful there ,, love each visit .. the food flavor is amazing! Service is beyond great ! Love love love this place!Special Features:
- Best Thai food !OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2012The food at Lotus Thai was excellent. The service was superb! Enjoyed everything about the experience. Really glad we found this place.Special Features:
- The Coconut Soup with MixedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2012The Coconut Soup with Mixed Seafood was so delicious that even though I was full I had to eat more. The Cocktails were made just right I had the Silk Pearl and the Strawberry Lemon-drop. The waiter were prompt and attentive, this is my second time there and I will definitely be back for more. Oh try the Calamari during happy hour!!Special Features:
- Food was ok and the pricesJeffDined on 3/3/2012Food was ok and the prices were fair, but the service was lacking to say the least.Special Features: