Lotus Thai - Downtown
906 Market St.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
Lotus Thai - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lotusthaisd.com/
- Phone: 6195950115
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Vegetarian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Lotus Thai - Downtown
The flavors and elegance of modern Thai cuisine unfold at Lotus Thai, award winning Thai restaurant and bar located in downtown San Diego. Lotus Thai presents a menu honoring regional recipes from Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Southern Thailand.Continued
Happy Hour $3 Draft Beers $5 Soju Cocktails $5 Appetizers
"Best Thai" San Diego Magazine 2010, 2011, 2012
Happy Hour $3 Draft Beers $5 Soju Cocktails $5 Appetizers
"Best Thai" San Diego Magazine 2010, 2011, 2012
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lotus Thai - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (9)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (8)romantic (3)hot spot (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014Great food! Try everything on the menu, there are some real gems. The fried rice is amazing and any leftovers are great with eggs the next morning. I'm a real fan of their curries as well. And for those who like it spicy, they aren't afraid to bump up the heat when you ask for "Thai spicy".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food, but...RockyRacoon2011Dined on 8/2/2014Spent the day at Safari Park and was very tired and hungry. Parking on a game night is horrific! Took 20-minutes and $10. Ignored for 40+ minutes, after being seated. By then few tables remained, watched as waiter cleaned and mopped, asked hostess to help us, another 10+ minutes passed, waiter finally took our order, got another waiter to help us after waiting again for about 40+ minutes for our appetizer, were told there was a mistake with our order. We believe it was never turned in. If the food was not SO good here, we would have just left. It was 10:45PM or later when we were finally able to leave. The food was awesome as usual. This all started at 8:00PM. Ridiculous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was great...service NOTpup1VIPDined on 7/27/2014Food was good as always. Noise level was very high and it was difficult to talk across our table for 4. Waiter messed up our order. Brought 3 of 4 dishes and we finally got the right 4th dish much later. Not a terrible thing, but disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for big group & food greatBkjgDined on 7/26/2014Came with a group of 20. Everyone was very happy with the food, drinks and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicedebsDined on 7/16/2014Delicious food and wonderful service. I think what I chose to eat did not settlt well with me as I had intestinal problems the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Thai options2AussietravelDined on 7/2/2014After travelling around the US eating some pretty mediocre Thai (we prefer healthier options over some of the calorie rich American food) - we finally found a place that knows spice and chilli. We asked the waiter to make a beef salad authentic Thai - and that is what we got- super spicy and full of flavour. Thank you - and the wine and beer was great value too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place!Foodie1Dined on 6/16/2014Best thai food downtown and the ambiance and service is spectacular! Real authentic thai cuisine with exceptional chefs cooking right in an open kitchen:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thai-liciousValueshouldequalserviceDined on 6/13/2014What a great find. This restaurant is just a block or so outside of the core of the Gaslamp but well worth the extra block. Food was excellent. Our server was so kind, professional and genuinely interested in helping us have a wonderful meal. Ask for Alejandro-he was terrific.Special Features:
- Great Vegetarian ItemsCarlaDenimDined on 6/13/2014Excellent food, fresh ingredients, good service. I came with my family and everyone was happy with their meal. I appreciate the availability of vegetarian items, including the Tom Kha soup that came with lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great thai foodfoodieloverDined on 5/12/2014Was on vacation and the wife and I wanted some thai food. Heard good things about this place and tried it out. Food was great! She had beef pad see ew and I had the red curry with chicken. We were both very happy with out dishes. We would go back if we are in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 50 reviews are from the Lotus Thai - Downtown reviews archive.
- Special DinnercandyDined on 4/25/2014I planned a special dinner for my daughter, myself, and five of our dearest girl friends. When we arrived at Lotus Thai that Friday evening, our table was already set. We were seated on the far corner of the restaurant with the bench on one side and chairs on the other side of our table. I gave the waitress our orders and we were served drinks and the main dish in a timely manner, which was exactly what I had hoped. My daughter and I were able to share our gifts and presentation without interruption from servers. Then, dessert followed. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed our evening meal. In retrospect, we might've also enjoyed the table with all chairs and also have a better window view and try brunch for a quieter evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushedgazzy214Dined on 4/24/2014We had a reservation for 8:45 and sat by 9. We were taking our time ordering appetizers and drinking wine until our last friend came. Unfortunately, we felt rushed by our server. She wasn't very friendly and seemed to be in a hurry. I know we were one of the last tables but it's never nice to feel like you have to hurry up and that you are somehow an inconvenience. If there can't be good service at 10 pm then the restaurant should not take reservations past 8 pm. Hope this helps!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014Good value comes to mind. For example the squid in my Tom Yum soup was generous, large pieces, tender, and fresh. I was pleasantly surprised! The flavors of all the food were excellent. This place has done a great job making the atmosphere nice for a Thai restaurant too. I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food-Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014My husband and I went to Lotus Thai for the first time Saturday night. The restaurant ambience was pleasant and the food was very good. Unfortunately the service left something to be desired. I watched my server go behind the bar and drink his water but never came by to refill my ice tea. I tried to make eye contact but he was so inattentive he didn't notice. I eventually had to take my glass up to the bar to get my refill. He never brought the check either, we eventually had to ask someone else for it. It's too bad because the restaurant has a lot of things going for it...I would recommend this to a friend.
- this place needs a major oil-changeAmunDined on 2/15/2014literally... unauthentic in spite of all the Thais working at the restaurant. Overly greasy (on the cheapest & worst oil possible) mediocre quality dishes...
- great menuelnyDined on 2/14/2014great menu and tasty food. a good place to eat in any situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeJettypopDined on 2/14/2014Amazing food great prices the ascetics of the resturant was very Thai influenced which you don't always find in Thai resturants very attentive staff even with how busy they were.. Highly recommend the lucky Buddha beer yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Let us speak of LotussdwaDined on 2/14/2014Lotus Thai offered great food and service. The atmosphere was elegent and lively, although it was a little difficult to carry a conversation due to the noise. Overall, it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Avoid going to Downtown locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014We've gone to Lotus Thai several times downtown, but the service and food does not seem to be as good as the Lotus Thai restaurant in Hillcrest. There always seems to be a problem with reservations at the downtown location, and the food always comes out subpar in comparison to the other location. Would much rather go to the Hillcrest location from now on.
- food was greatchloeVIPDined on 2/6/2014service was unorganized and slow. Servers were very sweet!
- Very poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/1/2014We selected this restaurant on Jan.1st based on the positive reviews. The food was great but the service was not acceptable. After a mix up with the drinks, we ordered appetizers and for main course wonton soup for 2 kids, sea bass and 2 curry's. The soup came with the appetizers, so the 2 kids already had their dinner served. When we had finished main course it became apparent that they wanted to clear the table for next guests since we were clearly discouraged to even consider dessert.
- Excellent menu choices, ingredientsSundew12Dined on 12/26/2013Excellent menu choices, ingredients, atmosphere, and service. The mild level was good, not bland, plenty of flavor. Decorations and table settings all nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Date Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2013My husband and I went here on a date. The service was great - order taken promptly, dishes taken when finished, drinks refreshed etc. The bar was a little lacking, though they did have moderate wine list, cocktails, and some beer on tap. The food was good - we would eat here again if we were in the mood for Thai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great timeVeggieloverDined on 10/16/2013Really great Appetizers. Very friendly service. Great selection for vegetarian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good thai foodPaulaSSZDined on 9/26/2013The food and service were good. The waitstaff was attentive even when it got busier. They even have a happy hour, although I can't imagine going there for happy hour, maybe it's to lure people to stay for the food, but they don't need to do that. The food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Thai food near GaslampOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/24/2013Beautiful Thai decor, good food, good attentive service. Located near Convention Center, Petco Park and Gaslamp district. Great for quick dinner and drinks before a game or after a meeting. Fair selection of dumplings for Happy Hour plus beer, wine and soju cocktails. DH and I shared an order of shrimp dumplings , fire grilled chicken and drunken noodles. We had enough left over for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FOOD, OKay service...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2013I've never had a dish here that I've been disappointed with. If you like complex flavor profiles this place is for you. They have great lunch specials and the food is always prepared with the freshest ingredients and comes out quickly even on busy evenings. The service is ok at best. They are not so quick to refill your water and do not check on you. I have to give this place 4 stars for the food, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go again for sureCapitalTreasureDined on 6/16/2013The food and service were both outstanding. We had a moderately sized group of 6 and really enjoyed the food. It's fairly authentic Thai with lots of fresh foods.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting cocktailsMartinDined on 6/2/2013Went here the other night with some friends. The place looked a little overly formal, but the cocktails were all interesting, with fruits and other ingredients that were distinctly Thai, and not the kind of thing you'd find in most places. As a vegetarian, I ordered the pad thai, and it was good, but probably too much food for me to finish. It was a little on the expensive side, but I would try it again. The appetizer veggie spring rolls were probably the tastiest thing we've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice party placeAndreaDined on 5/18/2013We were having a party there. The food is so good and my friends really enjoyed. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heretofore I wasn't familiarOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/15/2013Heretofore I wasn't familiar with Thai cuisine, but the restaurant staff recommended dishes that were excellent. The service was great, the ambiance pleasant.
- In town on business and wentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2013In town on business and went as it was recommended at the best Thai in San Diego. I ate at the bar and the bartender and waiters were all very attentive. The ambiance is warm, inviting and modern at the same time. The lana gyoza was incredible; light dough, fried crisp, almost flaky and a delicious dipping sauce. I had the Crying Tiger for dinner, which, I'm sad to say was slightly disappointing. The chili lime dipping sauce was amazing, but the spring salad was lackluster and the very generous cut of steak was very greasy. Overall I enjoyed my night and would be willing to go back and try more!
- We went for lunch on Saturday,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/30/2013We went for lunch on Saturday, was quiet......LOVED the food. I am a true Thai lover as is my 13 year old. We had a first time Thai-er with us and she loved everything too.......thank, always enjoyable food staple, glad it was so well done
- Booked for a large party (17)OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013Booked for a large party (17) and they were able to accommodate us easily. Flexible when we were running a bit late too. The food came out quickly, the service was very attentive, and the food was actually quite good. All in all a very positive experience and I would definitely return here with a group or on my own next time I am in downtown San Diego.Special Features:
- Food is good. Atmosphere isOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013Food is good. Atmosphere is also nice, but the service didn't go so well. It took a long time to get refills on our water, and our food was basically thrown at us and given to the wrong person (they could have asked if they didn't know). There wasn't enough interaction between the waiter and our group, which is unfortunate because I would have liked knowing that we were valued customers.Special Features:
- we a dinner for 5. EveryoneTravelerVIPDined on 3/15/2013we a dinner for 5. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal. We each ordered different things and shared. Food and service were excellent!
- Best Thai in San Diego!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013I've actually been to Thailand several times so I know good Thai food when I get it. Lotus Thai was absolutely OUTSTANDING! The flavor of their food was delicious and the heat (spice) was right where I wanted it. If you want authentic Thai food for reasonable prices then look no further than Lotus Thai!!! They also have a good selection of beer on tap and a decent wine menu to go with the exceptional food.Special Features:
- Food is good but nothing exceptionaChaseDined on 3/10/2013Food is good but nothing exceptional. Prices are higher due to location and ambiance which makes it good for a date.
- Just not too bad. Food notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2013Just not too bad. Food not bad and nothing to tell you guys at all. Service poor to fair. In Thai place they don't ask how spicy you want and bring whatever - too spicy for my daughter and not spicy at all for me. Forgot about silver and serve soup in coffee cups. Price tag is not working for that kind of place.
- Celebrated a birthday here.rubbacatDined on 2/19/2013Celebrated a birthday here. The staff was wonderful & very good food!Special Features: