L'Ottavo - San Francisco
692 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
L'Ottavo - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 4159223944
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-Th 5:00pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-sa 5:00pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from L'Ottavo - San Francisco
L’Ottavo Ristorante has delighted locals and visitors to San Francisco for 20 years with our authentic Italian cuisine. Our small family-run restaurant feels intimate, cozy and tucked away from hectic city life. At L’Ottavo, you can picture yourself stepping out of San Francisco and into a neighborhood restaurant in Rome where the food is consistently delicious, the service is friendly and attentive, and the atmosphere is comfortable and unpretentious. Our menu offers chicken, veal, beef and fish dishes and an ample selection of delicious pasta. Our customers especially rave about our Homemade pasta, Lasagna, Veal Saltimbocca, Chicken with Marsala wine and Mushrooms, Lobster Ravioli and New York Steak, as well as our daily specials, which feature fresh selections from our local markets. Come visit us for old world Italian charm, a flavorful Italian meal and classic Italian wines. We are walking distance from Union Square, located near major hotels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'Ottavo - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)romantic (14)fit for foodies (12)special occasion (7)good for groups (7)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Little Gem on Sutter StreetPatMo83Dined on 10/16/2014L'Ottavo is a lovely little Italian place. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We always go there when in San Francisco. They usually have terrific fish dishes on daily specials. This is a solid choice that will not break the bank! Enjoy!Special Features:
- Wonderful Welcoming and YummyLaighniDined on 10/13/2014I was tasked to find a spot for a work group dinner during Dreamforce 14. Planning a dinner for my co-workers, and trying to choose a good restaurant for 15 people with different tastes was a bit daunting. L'Ottavo ended up being a perfect choice! Everything was fabulous! The food was great - cooked to perfection and presented beautifully. The portions were perfect, not too big, not too little. The service was very good as well. They were very accommodating for our group. I agree with the other reviewer, it was like being in a neighborhood in Italy. I could not have picked a better place. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Took foreverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Our waiter was very nice, but our food took a very long time. There were two tables that were seated after us (one party of 2 and one party of 5) and served before us and paid and left before we even got our check. No air conditioning.Special Features:
- Great Italian foodsince2012VIPDined on 10/8/2014I had a great dinner with a friend. The service was fantastic too. Lots of pastas to choose from...Make your reservation and go. You will be pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice and relaxing as usualjackyVIPDined on 10/7/2014A great San Fran restaurant. Do not miss it! We come herr every trip and have not been disappointed yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!since2012VIPDined on 10/6/2014Second time here and was just as happy with the visit. Great food and great service. We will be coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MisleadingOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/4/2014I have no idea how this place was reviewed so well on Open Table but we were very misleading. We actually made reservations at another place while we were there. I'm convinced they bought their streak from RALPHS.
- Delicious - again!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/28/2014We eat out fairly regularly, and one of the restaurants we continually return to is L'Ottavo. The food has been consistently delicious. We usually start with the soup, this time it was a Crab Bisque, which we've had before and is always good. Very nice way to start the meal. I had the chicken breast stuffed with pesto, bacon, spinach and parmegian cheese in a diced tomato cream sauce, and it was great. Followed with a delicious Almond Mocha Ice Cream Torte, which was a nice way to finish the meal - not too heavy! Would highly recommend the restaurant. Food is great, nice-sized portions. Ambiance is old-school Italian restaurant, with music playing subtly in the background. Easy to have a conversation during dinner. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Customer Dinner of 6OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Great Food! Go with the Specials and wine list is very reasonable .Special Features:
- Great Find!pislasDined on 9/8/2014Right across the street from our hotel - Marine Memorial Hotel! Great location near Union Square. Excellent food and service !!9Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Like ItalywaugDined on 8/23/2014Our party of eight had a great Saturday night dinner at L'Ottavo. The atmosphere, decor and relatively small size of the restaurant reminded me of many similar restaurants we found in Italy. Everyone was very happy with their dishes. I would highly recommend this restaurant as an excellent choice for great Italian food very near Union Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming old Italian styleoaklandraterDined on 8/18/2014This was our first meal at L'Ottavo. The decor is charming and staff are welcoming, helpful and efficient. The menu is large and various, including antipasti, soup, salads, pastas, chicken, meat and seafood, plus a variety of daily specials in every category. But the food, though tasty, is heavy. We had crab bisque, which was excellent, followed by our entrees (we each ate about 3/4) and a sorbet to share. Portions are large; you won't go away hungry! On a Monday night, the restaurant was full. Patrons included couples and families with kids of different ages. Despite the Upper Union Square location, there weren't many tourists; this is a neighborhood place with many regulars. But I don't know that we'll return; we just prefer lighter fare.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodfrankcDined on 8/15/2014I had the salad and a simple pasta. Both were good. The service was very good. The place was nice enough. Nothing spectacular, but good. I would eat here again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Loved this restaurant. It is going to a staple in our weekend trips to SF. Friendly service, old world atmosphere. Flavorful, hearty dishes. Very cozy and comfortable. Will recommend to our family and friends. Excellent experience overallSpecial Features:
- Awesome timesince2012VIPDined on 7/16/2014Great food great service - every time we go we are so happy....can't wait to dine there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy but food very goodBrianADined on 7/10/2014Ordered veal parm special. Portion was a bit small but very good. Bruschetta also very good. Issue was noise level. We could hear table next to us as if they were at our table. Experience was disappointing given everything we read on open table was mostly positive.
- Great Placesince2012VIPDined on 7/7/2014Recently had dinner at L'ottavo, and I was very impressed. The ambiance is great, the server was friendly and welcoming, and the food was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, not good.HonestfoodEDined on 7/3/2014I thought we had gone to the wrong place... My family and I had just gone to a Giants game and were hoping to warm up with some fresh minestrone soup and a nice glass of wine. This place had neither. We ordered minestrone and came a red-colored cabbage stew with filler vegetables that had no flavor. The montepulciano had been open far too long and was served with a heavy pour and in the wrong glass. My gnocchi dumplings were fresh and clearly made in house, but the entree was destroyed by the canned sauce they served over it. The service was lovely. With extensive restaurant experience, I felt empathy for the staff who were doing the best with what they had. This place is in a great location and has potential, but please, go elsewhere.Special Features:
- A great restaurant!since2012VIPDined on 7/2/2014This was a wonderful restaurant that we found within a couple blocks of our hotel. First time there and we will definitely be coming back. The crab soup with out of this world...and the fresh pasta delicious. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 111 reviews are from the L'Ottavo - San Francisco reviews archive.
- AmazingjackyVIPDined on 7/1/2014The whole experience was excellent. Staff is friendly and knowledgable. The food was so good. And the portions are very large. Excellent value. Will share things next time and we are definitely going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic eveningsince2012VIPDined on 6/30/2014This was our first time at the L'Ottavo Restaurant. It came highly recommended and it lived up to the recommendation. Great food and super service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something has changed here! sorryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014Possibly the restaurant has changed ownership? After reading the reviews and goigng to the restaurant, I thought I had gone to he wrong place! The staff were trying, however this is not an authentic Italian restaurant.The staff member preparing the appetizers,up front was wearing a big loose t-shirt. It just didn't give us the feeling we were in an authentic Italian restaurant. The caprese salad and the entree's were below average. We didn't finish our meals;left without coffee or desert. I use opentable in numerous locations in NA and Europe, and I have never missed it this bad before. I will be cautious about opentable reviews. I completely blew this one! Sorry, but I can't recommend L'Ottava as a $$$ authentic Italian restaurant.
- Good food, reasonable pricesFineDinerVIPDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I had an early dinner at L'Ottavo before we went to the opera. Although the restaurant was sparsely populated due to the early hour, the service and attentiveness of the staff was excellent. The food was very good. It wasn't entirely clear whether this is an Italian restaurant actually run by Italians, but they pulled off an impressive simulation nevertheless.Special Features:
- small neighborhood restaurantSueEllenDined on 6/22/2014I was staying at a great hotel right on Union Square with my 2 teenagers and wanted to go to a more neighborhood Italian restaurant that would remind me of when I lived in SF 25 years ago. This was the place. I had fusilli with gorgonzola sauce that was unbelievable. My only sadness was no fridge in my hotel so I had to give our leftovers to well-fed homeless people on our walk back. Great restaurant!!1Special Features:
- great neighborhood findssfoodieDined on 6/16/2014Have eaten here twice before and this was the best meal yet. Delicious spinach ravioli (super rich and creamy) and pasta with gorgonzola sauce; excellent house wine. Not noisy, so you can actually hold a conversation. Great experience overall; good for a special week night out or for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint little restaurantNjkayeDined on 6/2/2014Very nice traditional Italian restaurant within walking distance from many hotels in the Union Square and Nob Hill area. The food was very good and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodLadybugDined on 5/23/2014We have come here for years and always find the food and service to be consistently good. Even on busy weekend nights, you can find a table without waiting long. It feels like a neighborhood place, welcoming and warm. The lobster ravioli's are my favorite and the canneloni's were very good too.Special Features:
- Pre theaterTheatergoerDined on 5/3/2014The hosts were most attentive. Food was good, but not outstanding. Very quiet at 6:00 pm on a Saturday, but lively and full before 7:00. We will go back; excellent value.Special Features:
- One of our favs in Union SquaremodavaDined on 4/29/2014We just love this little place. Food is always great and the servers are warm and helpful. I had the veal piccata and it was excellent!!!!Special Features:
- Great experienceM1234567Dined on 4/26/2014Wonderful food and service. Consistent since I have been going over 2 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian restaurantSteveMDined on 4/8/2014Excellent Italian restaurant with very helpful wait staff.Special Features:
- This place is awesomejackyVIPDined on 4/8/2014I have eaten here several times and loved everything both times.Food is great! Everyone is great there. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Italian restaurantsince2012VIPDined on 4/6/2014It's a really cute Italian restaurant. The lasagna was my favorite - so yummy and the perfect portion size! We arrived early and had 2 additional diners with us and they immediately accommodated us.Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkRitzVIPDined on 4/5/2014I selected this restaurant because of location. I was having dinner with my son and he lives up the street. Being from the East Coast where we have wonderful Italian food, I believe I'm a bit spoiled and picky when it comes to Italian food. It was just okay. I had the capres salad as an appetizer which actually was very good. For dinner I had cannelloni stuffed with spinach and cheese. I thought the pasta sheets are too thick and the spinach tasted like creamed spinach. It was supposed to have a creamy tomato sauce over-the-top. Very little sauce on it and to me to seemed a little bit on the dry side. We did not have any dessert so I cannot comment on the desserts. It was just okay not a place that I would go back to
- Food was great, noise level badArchaeologistDined on 3/29/2014Three of us dined here. We had reservations, and were given what appeared to be a terrific table in a quiet part of the restaurant. Unfortunately, a group of 6 came in soon after us, and were placed across from us. The acoustics in the place are not great, and we could barely have a conversation because the group was so loud. That said, the food was excellent. I had the red snapper, and the fish was fresh, the preparation terrific. While I would not necessarily travel across the city to come here, the location near Union Square is good, and the food is good. Maybe go on a night when there might be fewer parties.Special Features:
- midweek dinnernunezlDined on 3/4/2014I was in town for a conference and didn't know where to dine. I found this restaurant on a list of places close to the hotel and decided to try it. We had a late dinner and had the place practically to ourselves. The waitress was incredible...friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating to requests for off menu items. The food was simply amazing. I wish this restaurant was in my home town, I'd be a regular there for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findsince2012VIPDined on 3/2/2014My husband and I were looking for a quiet dinner and excellent food. Definitely some of the best Italian we've ever had! Our waitress was attentive and knowledgable and wine she paired for us was excellent. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for a pre-theater dinnerDeliciousandNutritiousVIPDined on 3/1/2014Went for a pre-theater dinner and had a lovely meal. Familiar decor and dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!since2012VIPDined on 2/23/2014Everytime I come back to L'Ottavo, the food is unbelievable, the value, the ambience, the staff, just everything is magnificent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be better knownCharlesDined on 2/22/2014We stayed at the Ritz Carlton and asked the concierge for a recommendation. I had passed this restaurant walking a few blocks away. He was not aware of it and sent us somewhere else. His recommended spot was ordinary at best. The next night we went here and could not have been more pleased. This is the type restaurant a hotel like the Ritz Carlton should refer their guests to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.