Loteria Grill - Santa Monica
1251 3rd Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Loteria Grill - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://loteriagrill.com/
- Phone: (310) 393-2700
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - close
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jimmy Shaw
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Bienvenidos! We are thrilled to be considered to cater your next event. Here at Loteria Grill, we help you plan a fantastic menu for your special celebration whether it is a company luncheon, cocktail party, picnic, family reunion, or you just want the perfect setting to taco about.
A word from Loteria Grill - Santa Monica
Jimmy Shaw opened the first Lotería! Grill in the summer of 2002 at the Farmers Market in Los Angeles, and ever since has been serving our guests a menu full of regional Mexican specialties as delicious as what he grew up enjoying in Mexico City.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Loteria Grill - Santa Monica - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Loteria Grill - Santa Monica reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (13)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (11)neighborhood gem (11)kid-friendly (11)fit for foodies (8)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (5)special occasion (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)romantic (2)Show More
- Love this place and keep returningJayRyVIPDined on 11/9/2014We love Loteria. The chicken mole tacos are so bomb and try the jalapeño margarita too! I drive a great distance to visit this restaurant because I love the food and the vibe. Can't say enough good things about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haute MexicanSandyjkVIPDined on 10/26/2014Delicious inventive tasty upscale Mexican food from this chain. They know what they are doing. Wide variety of dishes with new flavors.Special Features:
- New Favorite on the PromenadeWilliamCDined on 10/24/2014I know Loteria's food from the Farmer's Market location. This is the same menu in a restaurant setting. Our table had the guacamole, chips, and salsa all of which were excellent. The tortilla soup is thick and flavorful. My wife had the carnitas, which were perfectly executed. I sampled the red snapper ceviche which tasted much like a Mexican seafood cocktail - sweet, slightly spicy, fresh, crunchy with tender pieces of very fresh fish. I had the chicken mole. There are as many moles as there are Mexican grandmothers who make them. This is one of the best - rich, dark, complex, smooth. The juicy chicken is literally smothered. Ordinarily, this is a plating negative to me, but not here. Come here for the mole.Special Features:
- EDWARDVIPDined on 9/27/2014Loteria Grill has a prime location on the Santa Monica Promenade, and offers tasty Mexican food. My family enjoyed the chicken quesadillas as well as the chicken nachos. Nachos are offered in two sizes and the large portion should definitely be shared. The service was very good and prices reasonable considering the restaurants location.Special Features:
- Portions too largeradmanVIPDined on 9/22/2014Good food, fine service, comfortable partially outdoor setting. Fair prices. But portions are too large. I would prefer a slightly lower price and portion sizes that do not encourage overeating.
- Really goodFoodAddictDined on 9/21/2014Although it's a bit loud the food and experience was worth the trip. We would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the greatest experience(s)HatterVIPDined on 9/20/2014I made 2 separate reservations at Loteria over the past 3 weeks. My GF and I finally ate there the 2nd time. The problem is that the restaurant failed to hold a table on the outer patio so we could sit outside with our dog, despite the fact that I specifically asked for an ouside seat each time in my reservation. The 1st time, I even spoke to the manager and clearly informed him that we would be coming with a dog. We were offered sincere apologies and a 25% off coupon for our inconvenbience the first time around, but had to leave to eat elsewhere. This second time, we had to wait for 25 minutes past our reservation time for an outside table to open up. We did, however, receive very good treatment from our server.Special Features:
- Not like Studio City!FoodisTheatreVIPDined on 9/19/2014Having been to lunch at the Loteria in Studio City and truly enjoyed both the atmosphere and cuisine, I was surprised to find the Santa Monica branch to be inferior. The meal was completely underseasoned and tasteless. Instead of their pick-your-protein/style/sauce option, I had the skirt steak and my friend had the carnitas, both specialty plates. Can't recommend either dish. (In fact, the side dish of zuccini reminded me of food in a nursing home.) We actually left quite a bit of food on the plates -- not because we weren't hungry but because it wasn't worth eating. Two lunch meals and two margaritas plus tip was $90. Nope. Not returning.
- Fine, not unbelievabletheronesDined on 9/2/2014I had friends in from out of town and they wanted a place to sit where they could people watch. Unfortunately, it was the day after Labor Day so the Promenade was quiet. The food was fine. Nothing exciting. Basically cooked by line-cooks and not chefs, but for Mexican. that might be a better thing!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Fantastic food! Complete booked out- we were sitting directly on the bar, next to the kitchen- it was a great experience because we watched the cooks how the prepared the meals for the guests.Special Features:
- Increíble comidaimachefDined on 8/13/2014No puedes encontrar un restaurante con mejor comida Mexicana que Lotería y por lo mismo precio. Mi recomendaciónes son los nachos y taquitos. Al restaurante, cuando los machos son súper buenas, las salsas encima cambiare la textura de los chips después de poco de minutos. Creo que sería mejor sí pongáis las salsas al lado. También, mi horchata tenía una porcentaje de agua más grande como me gusta. Después de todo, la experiencia era súper buena y mi amigo y yo lo disfrutemos muchísimo nuestros reunión en Loteria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, weird servicefeedmeseymourDined on 8/9/2014I love Loteria and have been a fan since before they expanded beyond the farmers market. So nothing was wrong there. But the timing of our meal was really off. We eat ordered an entree and an appetizer, and everything came at once, along with a comment from the waiter about how much food it was. Maybe if it came out in courses it wouldn't have seemed like so much food? It was frustrating. Getting the check took a long time, but that bothers me less. Also, despite making a reservation. We were seated in a weird location right by the kitchen/where the waiters gather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgTucksterDined on 8/3/2014The food at Loteria is pretty good. However, this particular location is not managed well. The restrooms were very dirty and were still dirty after telling staff and leaving Loteria, restrooms had not been cleaned. The service was not good at all. Forgot to bring 2nd drink order. All in all, a disappointing experience compared to how they have been reviewed previously.
- A Great Spot for Mexican on 3rd!MattmanDined on 8/2/2014We had great food and great service. Margaritas are excellent and the staff takes care of you. However, if it's hot outside, you may not want to sit in the back of the restaurant as it gets very warm back there.Special Features:
- Delicious food, gluten-free menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014I have long been a fan of Loteria grill. Food is delicious, and I particularly appreciate the gluten-free menu. I only wish the music weren't so loud- it made conversation challenging.Special Features:
- The following 18 reviews are from the Loteria Grill - Santa Monica reviews archive.
- Interesting foodPlainjaneVIPDined on 7/22/2014I had a late lunch reservation (2 p.m.) so they were out of 2 of the 3 lunch options for DineLA. Still, the crab tostada appetizer was creative and delicious and the desert tacos yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Happy Hour!SusyDined on 7/19/2014First time at this restaurant, the location was nice and we loved the theme...... Our server was not as attentive as the others around us... One of the other servers noticed as well and we were brought a complimentary drink which was really nice of them. The happy hour menu was great, especially if you want to try different things in small portions. We would definitely be back!Special Features:
- A Pleaser-On-The-PromenadeDinoVIPDined on 7/13/2014Every item our party experienced, was ¡muy bien! The tacos arrachera; carnitas en salsa morita, in a flavorful spicy chile sauce; and ochinita pibil, achiote & citrus marinated pork, that was slowly roasted in a banana leaf. Chef Jimmy Shaw's specialty for the evening - was red snapper (perfectly seared) in a tomato, onion, olive and caper sauce. It was served with black beans, white rice, & plantains. The margaritas Pepino (cucumber) are refreshing while the jalapeño has kick - both magnified our dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to ChipotleMariaDined on 6/28/2014This place was terrible. Food was not fresh, all predone, no kids menu which is unacceptable in an area like this and very expensive. You are better off spending your money at Chipotle, honestly.
- Meeting SpotcorygDined on 5/9/2014Loteria is a perfect meeting spot for friends, whether its a birthday party or meeting up with visitors to the area. The food is great (2 fish tacos + sharing guac), the portions are good (not huge but filling), the drinks strong, the vibe energetic, and the location perfect.Special Features:
- Festive Cinco de mayoUclakickerDined on 5/5/2014Everything was festive that evening. The mariachi was very good and the ambiance was full of energy. Food was excellent and the Tamarindo Margarita was a great new flavor! Not our first time at Lotería... certainly not our last either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lower ExpectationsMexifoodDined on 4/18/2014This place had so much potential from their website. However, I found the pro bad it as plate disappointing. They give you 1 beef and the rest are vegetable, chicken and pork. Overpriced, shelled out over 80 bucks for an appetizer, 2 tacos, probaditas, and drinks. Had to go to pizza slice place to get full.Special Features:
- mexican food taken seriouslyTexascountessDined on 4/13/2014Extreme care taken in the preparation of this food. The sauce that comes with the chips is so full of flavor....The margaritas couldn't be better. Terrific tortilla soup. superb tacos. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Taco placeSVMJRVIPDined on 3/29/2014Tacos are are of high quality in this place, although a bit priceyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great MexicanKimberlyHVIPDined on 2/20/2014We went here on several recommendations we found on the web (LA Times, etc.) as one of the top Mexican restaurants in LA. I should have known we wouldn't find quaint on the Santa Monica 3rd Street Promenade but I still expected great. Overall the food was very good but the margarita was not. I like mine on the tart side but this was too much. We both had almost instant heart burn/acid reflux (not typically a problem for either of us) but it really stood in the way of enjoying the food. We tried to doctor the margarita a little but it just wasn't good. The waitress was very accommodating and took them back and did not charge us for them. The queso was delicious and the mole is very good as well.
- Excellent food and margaritas.GooglegirlVIPDined on 2/13/2014Excellent food and margaritas. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/29/2014excellent all the way around. well worth the money well worth the calories. great service. terrific foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Casual diningMariaDined on 1/25/2014The place is perfect for casual dining. Loteria Grill offers a very good Mexican cuisine with contemporary twist. The sward fish skillet was not overcooked even dough the fish was served in small cubes. Nice combination of flavors in all dishes. The service was good, however a little too long waiting in between water glass and serving. A little bit too noisy.Special Features:
- Truly enjoyed every minuteLaurensMomDined on 1/19/2014Truly enjoyed every minute we were at the restaurant!! Looking forward to going again!!!Special Features:
- Good time and good foodEvitaDined on 1/10/2014Location: Can't beat the promenade, about 1 1/2 blocks from Harvelle's where we went to after dinner. Environment: Our table was in the back of the restaurant, the noise level was fine; our group of 7 could talk to each other w/o screaming. Drinks: Really good ginger margaritas: not too sweet, just slighty sour. Food: I had carne arrachera tacos, which I think it's flank steak; the beef was tasty and tender. It came with just the right amount of rice and pinto beans, both very flavorful. I can tell you what my friends had, but we all had a great time. Service: Excellent; nobody rushed as through dinner; we would have stayed longer had not had plans for after dinner. Overall: Exceeded my expectations! Great place for a BD celebration!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissatisfiedKristenDined on 12/31/2013The atmosphere was nice; however, the service was lacking. 10 minutes after ordering drinks I was told they did not have any rum for a rum and coke,there were bottles on the shelves of the bar. After this, our entire group was served dinner except for one. She waited while the group finished dinner. When she was served, her plate was covered in sour cream, she is lactose intolerant. The same meal had been ordered by others in our party without sour cream. Our server was slow to offer help. Rather than make the group wait 20 minutes for her to be served again, she scraped everything off and hoped for the best. My meal was good, but my experience was not. Our group was not a priority at all, I don't plan on returning to this restaurant.
- Very original restaurant conceptJaxsonDined on 10/31/2013The service was very good and the food portions were great. I loved the ambience and the decor was so original.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, prices kinda high thoughNateDined on 9/27/2013Had a really good dinner, great guac and salsa and would definitely go back again. Prices are a bit high for some areas, lots of extra charges that are really not necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.