Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe
2879 Grand Avenue
Los Olivos, CA 93441Neighborhood:
Santa Ynez Valley
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.losolivoscafe.com/
- Phone: 8056887265x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 2:45pm; Afternoon Menu: 3:00-5:00 Dinner: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
Now serving Breakfast from 8:00-10:30am on Saturdays and Sundays!
Open 7 days a week
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Chris Joslyn
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: From assisting you in choosing your wines and selecting your customized menu, we take pride in making your event truly a Central Coast experience. The Los Olivos Cafe has served guests since 1995. Now the Wine Merchant and our outside catering division can offer more to what we bring to you. Our beautiful wine country is the perfect place to host a memorable event. Allow us to make your catered affair truly special. We take great pride in bringing you remarkable food paired with gracious hospitality and an award-winning wine list.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room seats up to 40 guests and is the perfect venue for an intimate gathering. Our attentive service, exceptional food, and award-winning wine list will set the scene for an unforgettable event. Our private dining room is available to reserve for lunch and dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Negrete 8056887265x214
- Special Events: Visit our website www.LosOlivosCafe.com to view our upcoming special events and you can always check us out on facebook at Los Olivos Cafe!
A word from Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe
At the Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe you really do get to taste the Central Coast. They take great care in selecting each item that makes its way on your plate. Choosing ingredients that are local, wild, and organic whenever possible. You will enjoy the rustic-elegance of the Cafe paired with friendly and attentive service. Their extensive wine list offers the best wines of the Central Coast Region. The best part is after you dine you can take home your favorite wines at competitive pricing and bring the taste of the Central Coast home with you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe - Best Restaurants in Santa Ynez Valley ›
Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (79)fit for foodies (60)great for outdoor dining (51)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (48)romantic (41)great for lunch (40)hot spot (15)good for groups (14)great for brunch (13)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Visit this gem in Los OlivosRbofrbDined on 9/14/2014Had three experiences on a recent visit to the area. All were very consistent from arrival through ordering and dining. Everyone was hospitable and friendly as well as sincere. The food meant all expectations and the wine list is a real treat. Some of the dishes like Lamb shank and short rib were outstanding. Don't miss a chance to experience this special place. Ask for Kyle as your server.Special Features:
- Hide the salt from Chef!QBwashereVIPDined on 9/11/2014Normally love this place for lunch. Had our 1st dinner here & couldn't finish either dish due to way too much salt. I love salt so not usually a problem for me but my husband who eats anything & everything under the sun barely touched his salmon w/eggplant. My lamb shank was just as bad but I must say we both loved the polenta fries. Service was stellar & wine tastes for suggested food pairing helped us select the right glass to go w/our different courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemChristelDined on 8/31/2014Romantic, wonderful food and extensive wine menu. Love it and will come back!Special Features:
- Wonderful evening in Los OlivosEatlovebehappyVIPDined on 8/30/2014One of the best finds in this quaint town. Beautiful restaurant, incredible food...although we were a bit overwhelmed with the size of the portions! We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating on the porch was a mistakejcdboDined on 8/30/2014We arrived at 5:30 pm on a Saturday with reservations and a plan to leave by 6:45 pm for a play in Los Olivos. We dined on the porch because the evening was warm. The flies were unusually frequent and bothersome. It appeared our server and others shared duties at stations both inside and on the porch. Bad news, as this increased our wait time between visits to our table. Dinner took just over an hour so we asked our waitress to bring our check at the same time as our 2 glasses of aperitif and dessert. More delays before she came back to clarify just what aperitif we had ordered. The check came first with one glass of the wrong aperitif. We ran out of time, and had to pay and leave before ever finding our waitress or getting our dessert.Special Features:
- Fabulous Birthday Party!!foodie4lifeDined on 8/29/2014Los Olivos Cafe has been the venue for many of our family birthday parties and special occasions. We are fortunate to live locally, and have the utmost respect for the wine selection and variety of foodie friendly fare!! I would highly recommend this restaurant next time you make a trip to the Santa Ynez Valley. Cozy and intimate, yet has that "neighborhood gem" feel. Very accommodating staff...our waiter and bus staff was very attentive to all our requests. My mom's birthday was a smashing success!! Thanks to all the great people of L.O. Cafe!!Special Features:
- The best of the best!DinerextraordinaireDined on 8/26/2014A long standing favorite in the central coast wine country, the cafe salmon, not on the menu but available to those who are in the know... Delicious!!!! When I want to spoil myself... I head to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Los Olivos CafeNCG3054Dined on 8/24/2014I love this place and dine here frequently. The menu is full of fresh items and nice variety of choices for everyone.Special Features:
- Great dinnerPjacrouxVIPDined on 8/17/2014We both had pasta dishes which were great. Service was good but we lost our waitperson for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful !!!JungDined on 8/16/201411 years ago, I was fascinated by the phenomenal movie "Sideways", as most wine-lovers did. But, I've had no time to visit this place ever since. And finally I got there, bringing my family. The wine, food, service and even deserts ... everything was perfect. We had pinot noir from Santa Maria/Santa Ynez valley and these were so fresh and flavorful. With all beautiful landscape of Santa Barbara region, we really enjoyed the visit to Los Olivos Cafe. Cheers !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/13/2014Extraordinary food, friendly service, great wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatIheartlosolivosDined on 8/9/2014We have eaten here before. Wonderful food and very attentive staff, I say that even on a busy Saturday night. We will always return. Big portions too.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceFlyingYaYaDined on 8/7/2014I haven't eaten at Los Olivos Café in a few years, but the food and service met my recollections and expectations. I highly recommend it for lunch or dinner or that special occasion! Dining there is such a nice way to end a wine-tasting adventure in the Santa Ynez Valley!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were pleased!HeidiAVIPDined on 7/29/2014This was our second visit to the Los Olivos cafe (the first visit was way back in 2007). We were happy the first time we went and were not disappointed this time either. The food was great, service was great, it was quiet and not crowded since it was a Tuesday night. My only complaint is that I ate WAY too much - so much that I left my credit card there and forgot to even sign the check after our server brought it back, DUH! They called me and since we were already half an hour into our return drive home, were kind enough to cut up the card for me because we didn't want to turn around.Special Features:
- Los Olivos Wine Merchant and CafeLuv2dineoutDined on 7/28/2014We have enjoyed lunch here on several occasions and have never been disappointed. Everything we have order has been exceptionally tasty: The artisan cheese plate, various salads and pizzas, the Reuben sandwich and wines and local beers. We have always dined outsideon the patio and love the atmosphere and the scenery. The service was excellent as well.Special Features:
- Great ServiceLockyDined on 7/19/2014Excellent experience at Los Olivos Cafe. Phenomenal wine selection at reasonable prices and great food. Kyle was an incredible waiter and provided the perfect balance of attentiveness without being overly intrusive !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HopefulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Good food and service. Not that romantic. Pretty noisy. Better for a party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 sisters dinner outSkeetersDined on 7/18/2014My sisters and I celebrated our 9th annual "sister trip" by attending the Los Olivos Cafe. We were seated at a table by a door and were not pleased with the foot traffic of the waitpersons. We asked for the newly opened table by the window and were promptly moved by our vary capable waiter. He was courteous, respectful and helpful. the Salmon and mushroom ravioli were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/14/2014I've eaten at this establishment three previous times, all very positive... and I am sorry to say that our recent experience was troubling. I am sorry I did not say something when I was there. The first course of salads was fine...but things went downhill soon after...we waited over 45 minutes for our second course...when the food arrived, the pizza was undercooked and the fries I had ordered were soggy. The turkey burger was on a "focaccia bun" which was doughy, too thick, more bread than meat...The house wine at $8 was well priced but was totally unmemorable, made me wonder why even offer it? Our waiter was oblivious to the fact that we weren't getting good service, we had to enlist others to get the job done...Special Features:
- Getting SidewaysTECTustinDined on 7/10/2014I have been here about 4 times and it's always great. I had the Ravioli and it was really good. Last time I had this awesome Turkey Lasagna which I was dissappointed that they didn't have it this time. I love everything about this place. The only down side is I wish the menu had a little more variety and options. Besides that this has always been one of my favorite places.Special Features:
- SidewaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Went here since this restaurant was in the movie sideways. Great food and wonderful atmosphere. Tremendous wine selection even by the glass. Great service.Special Features:
- Solid everytimeFoodluvDined on 7/5/2014Been coming here for many years now. This time was delicious, as usual. What's impressive about the Los Olivos Cafe is that everything we've tried on the menu is good. And, they're consistent. The do what they do very well. Great wine, great food, great atmosphere. What's not to love? We try to go here every time we head up to the SY Valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salmonGoodeatingDined on 7/4/2014The only complaint I have is my salmon was a little bit on the dry side. Other then that everything was fine. My husband was very happy with his lamb shanks dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodCarmineDined on 7/3/2014My wife and I usually stop here when were in the area and the food is always consistently good. You can't go wrong - good food, good wine, nice atmosphere and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table by the door or kitchen?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014I admit that I chose this restaurant because of my love for the movie Sideways. Our choice of seating didn't start off that great, especially when there were other tables avalible. About 15 minutes after we were seated a huge party came in and took over all open tables. No problem, we came in on a booked night. We were seated at the table closest to the kitchen but the table was far enough from the door that it didn't bother us at all. The staff were attentive and friendly. I would have to say that the service was perfect overall. Tha ambiance was eclectic and sophisticated. The food was very good. We will definitely come here again when in town.Special Features:
- A delightful experience!SheilaDined on 6/25/2014This is a charming, low-key place to enjoy great food and shop for great wines at a reasonable price. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this restaurant!!Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerAgarfDined on 6/24/2014Amazing food and service. We had the cheese plate appetizer, mushroom ravioli, chicken sausage and pasta and the braised lamb shanks. We were all impressed with the quality of our dinners. The wine list is extensive. My husband chose a wine flight which was 3 glasses and a healthy pour of each. Split dessert and the tiramisu was super. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Phenomenal in all ways!!PhlovesfoodDined on 6/19/2014This is a fantastic cafe with exceptional food, outstanding service and great wine. Do not miss this when you go toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always visit whenever in townFLDinerDined on 6/14/2014Been visiting wine country for past 3 years and always include this as one of our night's out. This visit, restaurant quite lively but have been there when was perfect for casual romantic evening. Food always fresh and pretty consistent in quality. Only drawback this visit was guests with us ordered ravioli asking for substitute of marinara for cream based sauce. It was delivered "drowned" in marinara. Tasted fine, but did not look appetizing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicefoodislifeDined on 6/1/2014Start with the service: Our waitress was wonderfully attentive without being intrusive. She genuinely seemed to enjoy serving us and helped to make the meal a special occasion. The food was excellent. I have eaten here several times in the past and always before had the wonderful baked brie. This time we went for something different -- ordered far too much food -- and it was all good. I particularly liked the special duck confit, and the pate plate.Special Features:
- SDRunnerDined on 5/25/2014Our 4th time to this restaurant. Every time we visit Los Olivos to visit wineries and see the entrance to Neverland, we stop for dinner at Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe. I could be sarcastic and say there are not many opportunities in town for a quality dinner. But that has changed over the years, and the last 3 years has seen a wonderful revival in the fortunes of Los Olivos. The economy is clearly improving as there are more restaurants, more wineries, etc. in the town itself. That said, we always go back to the Wine Merchant & Cafe and are NEVER disappointed. It's always crowded, the food is fantastic and the wine selection superb.Special Features:
- Love this placeBurmeseTravelerVIPDined on 5/22/2014My Caeser salad was amazing, although charging me $2 to add a couple of anchovies seemed excessive. At least I should have been told beforehand. We both loved our Orchiette pasta. And a large portion too. Fabulous. Thank you for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 680 reviews are from the Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe reviews archive.
- Another great mealSusanDined on 5/19/2014Always a great place to stop for lunch. Fantastic wine list.Special Features:
- AmazingJunieDined on 5/16/2014Beautiful setting, Beautiful food, great wine:) great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodMichael4535Dined on 5/16/2014Food was okay. Service was okay. Ambiance was okay. Noise level was loud. It was just okay - and a little disappointing.
- Perfect Romantic DinnerkrishnarupaDined on 5/10/2014I've know this place from the Sideways movie, and had the chance to visit the wine country with my wife. The service was great, they were able to give perfect advice on the food, specially because we are both vegetarians. My wife is not much into wine but the waitress could find a white that would fit for her, and found a perfect red from Curtis that was a perfect match with my ravioli. Dessert was GREAT. Definetly a very calm nice place to a couples dinner.Special Features:
- Wine country diningWorldDinerVIPDined on 5/10/2014Good food, solid wine list, but service was so so, we've had more memorable service @ other local places. The restaurant wasn't that busy either. My wife had beef pappardelle and I had the burger, both we're good. We brought our own bottle of Syrah, but the wine list is extensive. The place doubles as a wine shop so wine lovers can indulge too. Vibe seemed just a bit off as 1/2 the venue is a wine shop while the other 1/2 is a restaurant. Kind of a hybrid feel here and felt torn between truly enjoying meal and wanting to spend more time examining wines - perhaps if service was a bit more welcoming and on par w/ service typical of other area eateries rating would have nudged higher.Special Features:
- Great Fixed Price Meal with Wine!HilltopgalDined on 5/8/2014We celebrated a small birthday gathering and ordered from the fixed price, three course menu which included a glass of wine. The selections were great. The ravioli was a hit, the short ribs were very tender, but the sauce was a bit heavy and covered the taste of the ribs. The barata and beet appetizer was exceptional - a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/30/2014We never miss our favorite table on the beautiful patio for a lunch that is always expertly prepared and paired with wonderful local wines. They use the very best ingredients and change their menus to reflect the bounty of the seasons. Don't visit wine country without a stop at this charming restaurant.Special Features:
- A great meal every timeksb48VIPDined on 4/29/2014We always stop in when in town and are return guests at the cottage owned by restaurant owners of Wine Merchant. We love the cottage and the food is fantastic and fresh every time. We shared a salad and pizza for lunch and LOVED our meal. The pizza is well seasoned, perfectly cooked and delicious. The Greek salad is fresh, crisp and full of delicious ingredients. We also enjoyed a wine tasting at the bar. A wonderful afternoon...and we will definitely return.Special Features: