Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe
2879 Grand Avenue
Los Olivos, CA 93441Neighborhood:
Santa Ynez Valley
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.losolivoscafe.com/
- Phone: (805) 688-7265
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30am - 2:45pm; Afternoon Menu: 3:00-5:00 Dinner: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
Now serving Breakfast from 8:00-10:30am on Saturdays and Sundays!
Open 7 days a week
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Chris Joslyn
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: From assisting you in choosing your wines and selecting your customized menu, we take pride in making your event truly a Central Coast experience. The Los Olivos Cafe has served guests since 1995. Now the Wine Merchant and our outside catering division can offer more to what we bring to you. Our beautiful wine country is the perfect place to host a memorable event. Allow us to make your catered affair truly special. We take great pride in bringing you remarkable food paired with gracious hospitality and an award-winning wine list.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room seats up to 40 guests and is the perfect venue for an intimate gathering. Our attentive service, exceptional food, and award-winning wine list will set the scene for an unforgettable event. Our private dining room is available to reserve for lunch and dinner.
- Private Party Contact: Matthew Negrete 8056887265x214
- Special Events: Visit our website www.LosOlivosCafe.com to view our upcoming special events and you can always check us out on facebook at Los Olivos Cafe!
A word from Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe
At the Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe you really do get to taste the Central Coast. They take great care in selecting each item that makes its way on your plate. Choosing ingredients that are local, wild, and organic whenever possible. You will enjoy the rustic-elegance of the Cafe paired with friendly and attentive service. Their extensive wine list offers the best wines of the Central Coast Region. The best part is after you dine you can take home your favorite wines at competitive pricing and bring the taste of the Central Coast home with you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe - Best Restaurants in Santa Ynez Valley ›
Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (80)fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (55)great for outdoor dining (46)special occasion (44)great for lunch (38)romantic (36)good for groups (19)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- perfect dinner locationAngelaDined on 11/8/2014after a long day of winery visits, this was a wonderful place to have dinner. awesome food, service, and they made our anniversary celebration so special. love!!!!!Special Features:
- World Class Restaurant644SteveVIPDined on 10/31/2014We had dinner there one night and lunch the next day. There were four of us and we each thoroughly enjoyed the meals we ordered and the ambiance and service were amazing. Would put this up with the top restaurants in SF.Special Features:
- Santa Barbara County FoodSTANCODined on 10/29/2014We recently moved to the area and are trying different restaurants. The wine country was one of the areas we wanted to try. This is our second local restaurant and we are very impressed. The Wine Merchant offered a unique computer reservation system (Open Table) that was simple and efficient.When our group of four arrived, we were given the opportunity to chose our table. After we set down, water and menus were presented and specials were discussed. We ordered and were quickly served. We enjoyed our meals and were then brought a dessert with a candle on the top to celebrate my wife's birthday. I gave prior notice of the special day when I made the reservations on Open Table. We were very impressed with the service, food and ambiance.Special Features:
- Disappointedhard2impressVIPDined on 10/25/2014All 4 of us were disappointed in the quality of the food served. And it was so loud that we almost had to yell to each other to have a conversation. Will not return for dinner but lunch would be a possibility.Special Features:
- Saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Great dinner! Started out a little loud as several groups had been in for early dinner/drinks. But, they left and it was perfect. Server was wonderful, great suggestions on meal and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Restaurantwideangle81Dined on 10/24/2014Los Olivos Wine Merchant and Cafe is a solid restaurant, with something on the menu to please anyone's tastes. The dishes are simple but delicious, and many of them offer subtle twists on classics. As with most restaurants in this area, the wine list is huge, and you'd need to visit dozens of times to try everything.Special Features:
- DinnerKarebearDined on 10/16/2014We had a great experience at Los Olivos when we took our friends from Williamsburg Virginia to the restaurant. The salmon dish was amazing in flavor. A few of us had the meal that included the entree, salad, dessert and a glass of wine. That was a good selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place!TanklessDined on 10/15/2014Wonderful service (thank you Robin) and the food was out of this world!! Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine ListGlennDined on 10/12/2014Very reasonable. Had a Pinot Noir that retails for $42 and the restaurant only charged $52. Almost unheard of!Special Features:
- "Sideways" ...might lead you hereDvineSiplicityDined on 10/11/2014We chose to dine here during a self created sojourn to Los Olivos to visit sites from the movie "Sideways". The design and atmosphere are lovely, though it's clear that the layout was changed for the movie filming. But let's talk about the food, which was truly superb. They offer a diverse menu, but it is not overwhelming. This tells me the kitchen is focused and not over stretched. I had an amazing pasta with a light garlic purée sauce, tomatoes and chicken sausage. The flavors worked together perfectly. My husband had a fantastic skirt steak, perfectly seasoned and cooked to perfection. They have a great wine list and I do recommend the lavender bubbles to get you started. Of all the "Sideways" places, this is tops- a must!Special Features:
- MarkVIPDined on 10/10/2014Very stable Los Olivos restaurant. Excellent service and very good food. It can be a bit loud at times but I guess that falls under the energetic category. Quite lively when many guests arrived at 8 PM. We're fortunate to have such a fine well run restaurant in our little town.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceCLJAKOVIPDined on 10/9/2014After wine tasting at most of the best tasting rooms in the Santa Ynez/Santa Maria/Lompoc area, go here for dinner. Great menu with many and varied choices and great wine list (although the wine list was rather expensive with no reduced prices for local wines - not many "economical" prices here). But, the food makes the day.Special Features:
- Loved it!ReturnDined on 10/7/2014Friendly staff and interesting food that was well-prepared and tasty made this a memorable lunch with out-of-town friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of Los OlivosCaliforniabillDined on 10/1/2014We've been here many times for lunch and finally had dinner. It was a warm night we ate outside the ambience was wonderful and the dinner was fabulous. We love Llosa leave us and this is one of the best restaurant in town!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014I went for my birthday and really enjoyed it! The food and the service were excellent! Of course they have a terrific and extensive wine list. The cheese plate paired with the wine flight as an appetizer were well paired and delicious and extremely filling. It was an very enjoyable night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Wine Country!CettsVIPDined on 9/21/2014This was our 3rd time here! We always have enjoyed a great meal, excellent service and of course, outstanding wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsFineWineDineDined on 9/15/2014We expect the restaurant to be touristy with the Sideways connection. The Sideways connection was not the star of the show. Actually the food, wine, and service are the stars. Our salads and pizza were tasty and served with perfection. The wine, a flight of Bernat, was very good. The town of Los Olivios is charming and worth the stop between Santa Barbara and Paso Robles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit this gem in Los OlivosRbofrbDined on 9/14/2014Had three experiences on a recent visit to the area. All were very consistent from arrival through ordering and dining. Everyone was hospitable and friendly as well as sincere. The food meant all expectations and the wine list is a real treat. Some of the dishes like Lamb shank and short rib were outstanding. Don't miss a chance to experience this special place. Ask for Kyle as your server.Special Features:
- Hide the salt from Chef!QBwashereVIPDined on 9/11/2014Normally love this place for lunch. Had our 1st dinner here & couldn't finish either dish due to way too much salt. I love salt so not usually a problem for me but my husband who eats anything & everything under the sun barely touched his salmon w/eggplant. My lamb shank was just as bad but I must say we both loved the polenta fries. Service was stellar & wine tastes for suggested food pairing helped us select the right glass to go w/our different courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemChristelDined on 8/31/2014Romantic, wonderful food and extensive wine menu. Love it and will come back!Special Features:
- Wonderful evening in Los OlivosEatlovebehappyVIPDined on 8/30/2014One of the best finds in this quaint town. Beautiful restaurant, incredible food...although we were a bit overwhelmed with the size of the portions! We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating on the porch was a mistakejcdboDined on 8/30/2014We arrived at 5:30 pm on a Saturday with reservations and a plan to leave by 6:45 pm for a play in Los Olivos. We dined on the porch because the evening was warm. The flies were unusually frequent and bothersome. It appeared our server and others shared duties at stations both inside and on the porch. Bad news, as this increased our wait time between visits to our table. Dinner took just over an hour so we asked our waitress to bring our check at the same time as our 2 glasses of aperitif and dessert. More delays before she came back to clarify just what aperitif we had ordered. The check came first with one glass of the wrong aperitif. We ran out of time, and had to pay and leave before ever finding our waitress or getting our dessert.Special Features:
- Fabulous Birthday Party!!foodie4lifeDined on 8/29/2014Los Olivos Cafe has been the venue for many of our family birthday parties and special occasions. We are fortunate to live locally, and have the utmost respect for the wine selection and variety of foodie friendly fare!! I would highly recommend this restaurant next time you make a trip to the Santa Ynez Valley. Cozy and intimate, yet has that "neighborhood gem" feel. Very accommodating staff...our waiter and bus staff was very attentive to all our requests. My mom's birthday was a smashing success!! Thanks to all the great people of L.O. Cafe!!Special Features:
- The best of the best!DinerextraordinaireDined on 8/26/2014A long standing favorite in the central coast wine country, the cafe salmon, not on the menu but available to those who are in the know... Delicious!!!! When I want to spoil myself... I head to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Los Olivos CafeNCG3054Dined on 8/24/2014I love this place and dine here frequently. The menu is full of fresh items and nice variety of choices for everyone.Special Features:
- Great dinnerPjacrouxVIPDined on 8/17/2014We both had pasta dishes which were great. Service was good but we lost our waitperson for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful !!!JungDined on 8/16/201411 years ago, I was fascinated by the phenomenal movie "Sideways", as most wine-lovers did. But, I've had no time to visit this place ever since. And finally I got there, bringing my family. The wine, food, service and even deserts ... everything was perfect. We had pinot noir from Santa Maria/Santa Ynez valley and these were so fresh and flavorful. With all beautiful landscape of Santa Barbara region, we really enjoyed the visit to Los Olivos Cafe. Cheers !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/13/2014Extraordinary food, friendly service, great wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatIheartlosolivosDined on 8/9/2014We have eaten here before. Wonderful food and very attentive staff, I say that even on a busy Saturday night. We will always return. Big portions too.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceFlyingYaYaDined on 8/7/2014I haven't eaten at Los Olivos Café in a few years, but the food and service met my recollections and expectations. I highly recommend it for lunch or dinner or that special occasion! Dining there is such a nice way to end a wine-tasting adventure in the Santa Ynez Valley!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 699 reviews are from the Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe reviews archive.
- We were pleased!HeidiAVIPDined on 7/29/2014This was our second visit to the Los Olivos cafe (the first visit was way back in 2007). We were happy the first time we went and were not disappointed this time either. The food was great, service was great, it was quiet and not crowded since it was a Tuesday night. My only complaint is that I ate WAY too much - so much that I left my credit card there and forgot to even sign the check after our server brought it back, DUH! They called me and since we were already half an hour into our return drive home, were kind enough to cut up the card for me because we didn't want to turn around.Special Features:
- Los Olivos Wine Merchant and CafeLuv2dineoutDined on 7/28/2014We have enjoyed lunch here on several occasions and have never been disappointed. Everything we have order has been exceptionally tasty: The artisan cheese plate, various salads and pizzas, the Reuben sandwich and wines and local beers. We have always dined outsideon the patio and love the atmosphere and the scenery. The service was excellent as well.Special Features:
- Great ServiceLockyDined on 7/19/2014Excellent experience at Los Olivos Cafe. Phenomenal wine selection at reasonable prices and great food. Kyle was an incredible waiter and provided the perfect balance of attentiveness without being overly intrusive !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HopefulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Good food and service. Not that romantic. Pretty noisy. Better for a party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 sisters dinner outSkeetersDined on 7/18/2014My sisters and I celebrated our 9th annual "sister trip" by attending the Los Olivos Cafe. We were seated at a table by a door and were not pleased with the foot traffic of the waitpersons. We asked for the newly opened table by the window and were promptly moved by our vary capable waiter. He was courteous, respectful and helpful. the Salmon and mushroom ravioli were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/14/2014I've eaten at this establishment three previous times, all very positive... and I am sorry to say that our recent experience was troubling. I am sorry I did not say something when I was there. The first course of salads was fine...but things went downhill soon after...we waited over 45 minutes for our second course...when the food arrived, the pizza was undercooked and the fries I had ordered were soggy. The turkey burger was on a "focaccia bun" which was doughy, too thick, more bread than meat...The house wine at $8 was well priced but was totally unmemorable, made me wonder why even offer it? Our waiter was oblivious to the fact that we weren't getting good service, we had to enlist others to get the job done...Special Features:
- Getting SidewaysTECTustinDined on 7/10/2014I have been here about 4 times and it's always great. I had the Ravioli and it was really good. Last time I had this awesome Turkey Lasagna which I was dissappointed that they didn't have it this time. I love everything about this place. The only down side is I wish the menu had a little more variety and options. Besides that this has always been one of my favorite places.Special Features:
- SidewaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Went here since this restaurant was in the movie sideways. Great food and wonderful atmosphere. Tremendous wine selection even by the glass. Great service.Special Features:
- Solid everytimeFoodluvDined on 7/5/2014Been coming here for many years now. This time was delicious, as usual. What's impressive about the Los Olivos Cafe is that everything we've tried on the menu is good. And, they're consistent. The do what they do very well. Great wine, great food, great atmosphere. What's not to love? We try to go here every time we head up to the SY Valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salmonGoodeatingDined on 7/4/2014The only complaint I have is my salmon was a little bit on the dry side. Other then that everything was fine. My husband was very happy with his lamb shanks dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.