479 St. Alexis
Montreal, QC H2Y2N7Neighborhood:
French / CanadianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantlorignal.com/
- Phone: (514) 303-0479
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wild Game, French / Canadian
- Executive Chef: Marco Santos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from L'Orignal
Restaurant L'Orignal is a little country getaway in the middle of old montreal. Friendly staff welcome you try a specialty cocktail or two, maybe some oysters and some great terroir dishes. For an intimate night or a group get together, we'll provide a great evening!Continued
*Please note we reserve double settings on weekends and you may be seated after or before another guest.
We hope to see you soon.
*Please note we reserve double settings on weekends and you may be seated after or before another guest.
We hope to see you soon.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'Orignal reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)hot spot (6)romantic (5)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (3)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Found it very expensivealiaDined on 10/31/2014Food was OK but nothing special, food list is OK and choice is sufficient. At the end it seems more a homemade cooking. No excitment.Special Features:
- Good eating!NedKeeneDined on 10/27/2014The menu is very unique, with definite adventure in the meats. My deer tartare was excellent, and companion's burger seemed to be the cooked version of my tartare! Service was a bit chaotic, but charming. Taxis were ordered when requested. Ambience is cozy but lively.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableDillsdinnersDined on 10/25/2014This modern looking lodge wasn't the best but was very good. First we started off with a bottle of Kung fu girl reisling from Washington, we both had tried the bottle before and is always enjoyable. The appetizer was an amazing cheese curd soufflé in a tomatoe soup. Best way to describe it is the best velvety grilled cheese in a homemade tomatoe soup. A great comfort food. Next we shared the pan crusted cod and the quail. The quail was amazing and cooked to perfection but the crusted cod was lacking in flavour and would stay clear of and highly recommend they remove from the menu. I would recommend trying it out as it was enjoyable but wasn't the best meal of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic frenchNJFoodieVIPDined on 9/16/2014We happened upon this wonderful little gem. So glad as it was the best meal we had in Montreal. The menu was fairly limited but everything on it was absolutely French. Deer, rabbit, quail, etc. delicious. Great personal service too. Only negative is that we had to leave our dog at the hotel while we enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made us feel specialTTWLVIPDined on 9/16/2014We will return. The food was well prepared and the restaurant was cozy. What more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Great restaurantJacomoVIPDined on 9/15/2014Restaurant is freshly renovated and just re-opened on the day we ate there. We were worried as we ate there once before and the good was great and we were worried that renovations meant new management, which it did not.Thankfully, the food has not changed, it was again a great dinner that all 4 of us enjoyed.Special Features:
- Cozy CanadianaOnLikeDonkeyKongDined on 7/28/2014This place was so cozy, all it needed was a bunch of woollen HBC blankets to make it feel like you were out in a cottage. The food was extremely good from the tuna tartare to my braised rabbit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 345 reviews are from the L'Orignal reviews archive.
- Terrific.dhenwoodDined on 7/13/2014This was our second dinner at L'Orignal. Bold stuff, beautifully prepared, with friendly service. Love the Quebec-ish mix of French and the wild woods. Will be back for sure.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTJacomoVIPDined on 7/10/2014The best meal we had in Montreal this summer. We are here for another 3 weeks and will definitely go back becore we leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousAndiDined on 3/1/2014We happened to go right when they introduced a new menu, and all I can say is everything we had was excellent. The pasta dish we shared, not sure what it was called but had duck meat in it and a soft poached egg right on top, was divine, we also shared the venison bavette, which was also delicious (hubby's favorite). The bison tartar was great, fresh and clean tasting, and the tuna tartar was nice. And last but not least dessert, hubby had an apple pie type thing, and he said it was great, and I had what can only be described as a deconstructed s'mores, it was so good, I don't think I even offered my husband a bite!! And I'd also like to add that our server, Shannon was so nice and helpful, she helped make the whole evening lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingAshleyDined on 2/21/2014We love L'Orignal and eat there regularly. Oysters are THE BEST in town - always...never disappoints! Had the beef tartar for the first time and LOVED it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Montreal FavouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/19/2014This is my "go to" restaurant when in Old Montreal. The food is very good and the service is always friendly and welcoming. There is always a good variety on the menu, the room is eclectic, the servers in their plaid shirts fit the rest of the wood decor. The servers are knowledgeable regarding the menu. Even though my last time there our server announced it was her first night she and the other servers were very attentive and always checking to make sure all was well. Service is friendly and you feel like part of the family. Good choice of oysters on the menu. Seafood is fresh and very good.Special Features:
- One of the best meals thatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014One of the best meals that I've had in recent memory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/17/2014Came to L'Orignal with a group of 14 that proceeded to grow to 17. The service was incredible; we were all accommodated even though our group grew a couple of times. Our bill was divided by person, even though we didn't explicitly ask for this at the beginning of our meal (bonus!) and the food was delicious, especially the kale salad. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cold winter's nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2014our reservations were on a very cold sunday night which made the restaurant very quiet. i sensed that the place could get hopping and the bar scene become very vibrant. the dishes were cleverly prepared with just the right amount of seasonings. the kale salad was the best i ever had and yes the oysters did not disappoint. my husband raved about his chicken dish. portion size was just right. the cocktails were on the small side. wine list was good. a perfect dining experience on a cold winter's night for three bostonians. merci!Special Features:
- Highly RecommendSunheeVIPDined on 12/30/2013Excellent food and service, great ambiance, gorgeous interior restaurant and perfect locale. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great place overallMtlmumDined on 12/17/2013First, the ambiance was great, cozy and low-key, with friendly staff. The food was gourmet without being fussy, a simple and short but perfect menu, with choices ranging from tartar to bison burger. I would recommend to anyone and will be back soon myself!!! Thanks L'Orignal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters FTWlaBouffeDined on 11/25/2013Great ambience - walked in to a foyer smelling of deep forest pine, and inside we were cocooned in the atmosphere of a trendy but cozy stone cottage (with a bar!) Loved it. Extraordinarily friendly waiter, chummy+accommodating. Dining companion loved the quail starter and juicy pan-seared trout. Seafood plate (oysters, clams, shrimp and 1/2 lobster) good but pricey at $75. Delighted with oysters and perfectly cooked everything. Dessert was supremely cheesy goat cheese-cheesecake and amazing deconstructed s'more with a bar of intense dark chocolate (with no bitter aftertaste), hazelnuts, graham cracker and homemade toasted marshmallow. YUM - perfect dinner for a cold night. Service was a bit slow, place was a bit noisy, would still go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food service ambience allmarcusDined on 11/23/2013Food service ambience all great. Had rabbit, wildboar and bison tartare. All were a little off the wall and weregreat foodexperiences. A little on th expnsive side - but then you get what you pay for. Wines in particular were more expensive then at other restarurants intherea.Special Features:
- Way to expansive for whatrip134Dined on 11/9/2013Way to expansive for what you get. You can easily cook the same at home. Too much salt and other seasoning in every course.
- BrianKBriankDined on 11/2/2013Just amazing, great food, you do not see these kind of food just anywhere!Special Features:
- Love itAshleyDined on 10/26/2013We are regulars at L'Orignal - food is amazing, service is great. Never disappoints! AMAZING OYSTERSSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticHoneymoonerDined on 10/25/2013We were seated timely and met by polite waitstaff. Perfectly prepared dishes and ample portions as well. We traveled to Montreal for a few days and this is a place I would visit again when we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like your meats...MtlFoodFindDined on 10/25/2013Great food, especially the meats. We had the chicken and the boar. I was sceptical about ordering chicken in a restaurant since its usually nothing special, but it was the most tender pollo I ever tasted in my life. The boar (sanglier) was also tasty and different.. Overall, great food experience!Special Features:
- Great food, but music way too loud!FoodieforlifeDined on 10/14/2013The food and service was very good, however the loud pop music was a nuisance. We were a table of 6 and trying to have a conversation and loud 80s pop music was so distracting. We asked for it be turned down, which they did, but then five minutes later cranked it up again. For a lovely restaurant in Old Montreal, with stone walls and cozy atmosphere that was totally out of sync. Would recommend food but not restaurant ambiance.Special Features:
- Toujours aussi surprenantBullittDined on 9/28/2013Quand nous sommes arrivés j'étais un peu déçu du changement de menu, mais après avoir choisi nos entré et plat principal, je peut vous dire que nous étions tous incroyablement ravi de tout nos choix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite serviceShera22Dined on 9/27/2013I have been going to L'orignal for many years and the service is always so good ! Shannon is definitly their superstar!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningRustyDined on 9/25/2013Beautiful room. Friendly excellent service. Tastey creative food. We will tell our foodie friends and will certainly go again - soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/23/2013L'orignal was an underwhelming dining experience. The food was mediocre for the expensive dinner tab. It was basically overpriced diner food. Our waitress/hostess was polite and mildly friendly. The majority of the menu choices were gamy dishes like rabbit and venison.
- Delicious Dining ExperienceanthonyDined on 9/20/2013Loved the food and the service was very good. Especially appreciated the variety of meats on offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was absolutely delicious.Pisc87Dined on 9/17/2013The food was absolutely delicious. Although the portions appeared small at a first glance, they were definitely very filling. Overall, I had a great time and I enjoyed both the food and the wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden SurprisejmomDined on 9/3/2013Tucked away in an alley - this energetic, quaint restaurant provided for a great evening filled w curiously,delicious food, friendly service and an energetic vibe - great music!! You will not be disappointed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is different butnotimpressedDined on 9/2/2013The menu is different but in the case I would stick with what I know, not worth the 'adventure'.
- Don't surprise meFoodlovrDined on 8/26/2013We are a foodie family and we review the menu ahead of time since we have an 8 and a 10 year old. While they have adventurous palates, its good to know there will be something for everyone. The menus that are posted in the restaurant app (their own app) lists rabbit and brussel sprouts and leg of boar. The menu at the restaurant did not have any of these items listed. So that was disappointing. It turned out well anyway but they need to make sure the menu they post is accurate. They are one of the only restaurants open on a Monday night in Montreal. Great for people who like something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoked Duck was awsome!MTLfoodieDined on 8/26/2013I enjoy eating in fun trendy gems in any city... Well Montreal has something to say thanks for with this place! The service was good, our waitress was very pleasant, maybe not the most versed in terms of wine, but she made up for it in her kind way! - the food was one fantastic bite after another! The decomposed desserts were just as great at the main courses. My only complaint is that food service is no where near "quick", but it's well worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Creative CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2013Visited Montreal for the weekend and wouldn't miss my favorite restaurant there. Had a delicious duck breast appetizer that had the essence of pastrami seasoning and a nicely prepared venison shank for my entree. What also makes the experience special is the warm room and great staff. It's a completely inviting place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous spot for Sunday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2013I'm in town for business with colleagues and we had a wonderful Sunday night dinner at L'Orignal. The menu was so eclectic that the only issue was trying to decide which entree to go with. The green salad was super fresh and flavorful, two of us ordered the elk and lobster "surf and turf" which was phenomenal and our other colleague ordered the braised venison, which he loved. The vibe was relaxing but the music really fun and enjoyed by everyone. We almost cancelled because the attire on a few reviews described it as "dressy" and we were a little tired from traveling to get dressed up. Turns out, at least on a Sunday night, "smart casual" is probably more accurate. We could have blended fine in nice jeans and jackets. Great place!Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2013I really enjoyed the food and my service was attentive. The place is very clean with a causal elegance to it. I enjoyed every bite of the Green Salad, Black Cod, and Special German Cake. Good experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best oysters!VinoVillegasDined on 8/12/2013Had a great time on a "Industry Monday" where numerous specials were available. After some great oysters, I went for the pork loin schnitzel with German style mashed potatoes, it was huge and delicious! Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!VisitingDined on 8/10/2013This is the best meal I have had since I moved to Montreal 4 years ago. My dining companion from Toronto said it was the best meal she could remember having had in a long time herself. Incredibly original menu. Freshest ingredients prepared in inventive ways and combinations. A flavour revelation with every bite. What dining out should be. Gracious, warm service that you would expect if you were a regular, even though it was our first time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.