806 State Street
New Haven, CT 06511Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lorcio.com/
- Phone: 2037776670
- Hours of Operation:
Friday Lunch Special
(3 Courses $19)
11:30 - 2:30
Sunday 4:30 - 9:00
Tuesday - Thursday 5:00 - 9:30
Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 10:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Francesco d'Amuri
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: L'Orcio has a private dining area that works well for small intimate functions as well as large groups of up to 50. Menus are customized to customers requests.
- Private Party Contact: Alison 2037776670
A word from L'Orcio
L'Orcio is an upscale dining establishment serving Contemporary Italian Cuisine. In house made specialty pastas like Gnocchi, Papparedelle and Eggplant Ravioli are only part of the L'Orcio experience. Chef d'Amuri, an Italian native, also works his magic grilling whole fish and juicy steaks and offers a variety of meat and fish dishes daily. Desserts like Tiramisu', Charlotte agli Amaretti and Lemon Tart are also prepared in house. A relaxing and elegant ambiance with a European flare is the perfect backdrop for lunch, dinner or spirits. Located in a refurbished historical home the restaurant offers three unique spaces for their guests. Whether you're having a cocktail at the handsome bar, an intimate dinner in the elegant dining room or Appetizers with friends under the Wysteria covered Pergola in the courtyard all of your senses are sure to be pleased. Family owned and operated with an eye for detail L'Orcio has a lot to offer. Come in for a meal, a drink or just to say "Ciao."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
L'Orcio - Best Restaurants in New Haven ›
L'Orcio reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (52)neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (45)romantic (44)special occasion (37)notable wine list (16)good for groups (16)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- PatrDined on 10/18/2014Food was excellent but it took way too long for it to appear.Special Features:
- Almost perfect dinnerDickK72Dined on 10/18/2014My wife and I had dinner here Saturday Oct 18th and were impressed by every dish except the special - Eggplant Parmesan - which regrettably was overcooked and just mush - most disappointing for an otherwise fine restaurant.Special Features:
- Solid choice for Italian foodGburyGuyDined on 10/15/2014Little more than a mile from Yale University, this small (~10 table) neighborhood restaurant was a pleasant choice for a pre-theater dinner. Especially nice was the swordfish entree, garnished with root vegetables.Special Features:
- jp88Dined on 10/12/2014Wish that we had not waited 14 years to try L'Orcio, best Italian food and possibly best restaurant we have been to since living in CT. Everything about the meal, service, and setting was true best value for the money! We are genuinely independent from the restaurant and these words are sincere. Being we are not familiar with New Haven and parking, we were confused about where it was safe to park without getting towed or a summons. Although the surrounding side streets had available places, we were unsure what "zone 3" parking meant. Maybe parking communications might help visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Im a foolEatwellDined on 10/11/2014We live 10 min. from L'Orcios and I have never been there. Myself and my wife go out dinning often. We enjoyed the food, the service, the atmosphere, and just the total experience. I don't want to share but its too late for that. One does have to make reservations if you dont want to eat at 10pm on the weekend. But that goes having a great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereCarlosDined on 10/11/2014My first time here with friends and Overall it was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Italian DiningTartanjugDined on 10/10/2014The food and service are spectacular! From their homemade pastas to their salads and desserts, you will not find a better restaurant in New Haven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian in New HavenVisitorfoodieDined on 10/7/2014Great good, especially the pastas and the seafood!Special Features:
- Gmkathy2Dined on 10/3/2014While visiting New Haven we wanted some really good Italian food. We definitely found it here. My husband had ziti with sausage and a red sauce which he raved about. I had a ravioli dish with wild mushrooms, it was sooo good. For dessert we shared a marscapone and Nutella crepe....There are no words to describe this wonder. Excellent meal, helpful hosts at the front desk and great, knowledgeable wait staff. Great bartender and generous sized drinks. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant with Dining AppealRhodyFanDined on 9/26/2014Though one doesn't have to be dressed up, the atmosphere is respectable and, for those interested, even a bit romantic. The food and service was excellent. A definite do again. Nice for out of town guests whom you want to impress.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Good was excellent, service was good. Very nice comfortable environment. Very pleasurable experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treatLisaCDined on 9/20/2014We've been here three times and only dropped off our new college student at the end of August. The food is amazing and the staff is extremely friendly. We're making this our go-to every time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant is a favorite for us. I love the farro salad appetizer and the filet mignon with the gorgonzola sauce is my favorite entree. My husband is especially fond of the veal dishes. If weather permits, the outdoor patio with hanging vines is the nicest outdoor seating in the area. The inside is beautiful too with nicely crafted woodwork.Special Features:
- House-made pasta!FiresignDined on 9/14/2014Great rustic Italian fare w/ traditional favorites & new twists (chickpea ravioli). House-made pasta was fantastic. Prices for food & wine were reasonable, & wine list is mostly Italian in origin. Appeared to be a nice garden courtyard out back for dining; though, we were not offered the option to sit there. Only point of improvement would be the table service. The dining area is fairly intimate & was not at capacity, & other larger groups seated after our small party received their courses much more quickly. Over 2 hours for a meal with no appetizer or dessert was overly drawn out. Server did not offer any details on dishes/specials, and was not especially attentive. Timing & attention issues seemed to be server specific.Special Features:
- Craig BenderCDBndrDined on 9/13/2014Got there early 5:45 seated right away, there were only a few tables seated at this point, apps and drinks came right out, the place was filling up. The entrees took way too long from the time we places our order at which time it still was not very busy. Fortunately the food was good and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeresaDined on 9/5/2014The food was delicious, The setting was very pretty. Nice outdoor area. Good value. Pleasant serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Lovely pergola over outdoor seating. The meal was flavorful, the service inpecable and the dessert worth going back for just for dessert!Special Features:
- Friday lunch in the garden!MajaDined on 9/5/2014Fridays are the only days L'Ocio's is open for lunch--would that it was more--and it won't be long before their lovely pergola-covered garden is closed for the season, so make a reservation right now! The three-course special menu had many delicious choices for under $20, and the service was friendly and attentive. What a plesant way to start the weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Haven mustJimatehereDined on 9/3/2014Very pleasant interior courtyard is the perfect setting for enjoying food that will make you think fondly of Italy. If you have never been to Italy here is your chance, go to L'Orcio in New Haven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect patio dinner experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/30/2014Patio is perfect oasis to catch up with friends & enjoyed great food! Shared house appetizer, three of us had sea bass which was delicious & beautifully presented and fourth guest's lamb chops were cooked to perfection. Waitstaff perfect, didn't rush us, made sure pace of the meal allowed us to enjoy our time together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Patio! The Patio!dmmkhesanhhill861Dined on 8/24/2014We love L'Orcio for special occasion dining and have never had a bad experience there. The outdoor patio in back seems to be better and more charming every year as the greenery on the overhead arbor fills out more and more with every season. To be fair, we have only eaten inside once ( winter) and while the food was its consistent very good to excellent, the ambiance of the outdoor patio is what appeals to us. It's like being on the set of a Broadway play with the facades of the neighboring buildings -- not ugly, just natural for a neighborhood in New Haven -- rising up beyond the walls of the patio. Beats the heck out of sidewalk dining every time. Even in the heat of summer it's lovely out there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Italian near YaleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Great ambience in the outside seating area, attentive and thoughtful service, excellent Italian restaurant near Yale. Travelling through for college drop off, couldn't have been better. Wet pastas were superb. Great salad choices. Good wine list.All five of us loved our food, ranging from picky foodie-type right down to meat 'n potatoes high school student.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGBdimoVIPDined on 8/21/2014This restaurant was one of the best I've been to in a long time! Everything was outstanding...and take it from me who is 100% Italian. It was truly great on all levels - ambiance, service and of course the FOOD!!! They also have a GREAT garden area in the back. If you are in New Haven and looking for a great place for dinner - run!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014Beautiful outdoor space. Solid meal enjoyed by all.
- Good as usual, kitchen very slowRistoranteUomoVIPDined on 8/19/2014Branzino remains a standout as do the home made pastas. Kitchen on this visit, on a slow overall night, was very slow. Over two hours for dinner, not sure what the issue was but everyone was pretty tired after it was over!I would recommend this to a friend.
- PastaeatingoutDined on 8/9/2014It's a small place and they make their own pasta. The menu offers a variety of dishes which feature their pasta along with meat, chicken and seafood dishes. The food is amazingly well prepared and served piping hot. The garden is lovely in the summer for a romantic special occasion. They also have a great wine list.Special Features:
- Good Food Ambiance Needs workSavannahDined on 8/8/2014The food was very good. Wait staff was ok. Waited too long for our wine. Need more wine by the glass selections also. There were too many flies buzzing around. Very annoying and grotesque to bat flies away while you are eating. We felt the place was way too loud. They first wanted to seat us at the table right near the bar. GLAD we changed our table. Bar area needs to be walled off to buffer noise. Place also needs noise bafflers put in place here and there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experienceYaleVDined on 8/1/2014Never fails to impress. My cousin has a garlic / onion food allergy and because all dishes are cooked up fresh, she could pick and choose from the menu and was so delighted with the flexibility offered to her. Service is always excellent and dining on the patio is wonderful. Super wine list. Excellent food as always.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening in New HavenWatermanDined on 7/29/2014Everything was perfect. The atmosphere is great, the food was excellent, and the staff was friendly.Special Features:
- small, simple & suburb diningpoet173Dined on 7/29/2014A cozy restaurant that evokes a sense of community but ensures a private dining experience with lots of elbow room. Everything we ordered was delicious and although the menu and service were high end, the interaction was unpretentious. Nice wine selection. We recommend the Tiramisu - possibly the best we've ever had.Special Features:
- A focus on qualityBfp855Dined on 7/26/2014The food is carefully prepared and the high level of ingredients is evident in every bite. This is not the Italian cuisine most people are used to and may not be for everyone. Many of the dishes are simple and I am glad they leave the wow and fusion to other establishments. The beauty of The food in Italy is it's simplicity and in my opinion nobody does it better than L'orcio.... If you can treat yourself to Spaghetti Carbonara (not on the menu) you will not regret it. The Nutella Crepe is quite wonderful as well so save room after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tmvnjvDined on 7/25/2014Highly recommend! The outdoor seating is so pleasant and it's hard to believe your are sitting on State St in New Haven, it feels very private. Our server was amazing and answered all of our questions.She helped us make our wine selection by allowing us to sample a wine we ended up not ordering and in the end we were pleased with our Montepulciano. And then there's the food, wonderful! The homemade pasta is light as a feather, we ordered 2 ragu's one Norma and then the chicken cacciatore special all over pasta. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed!Special Features:
- Great mealJimFoodDined on 7/22/2014Experience, food and service all very strong. I'd recommend the restaurant and come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EllieDined on 7/19/2014Once again we enjoyed a delicious meal. This was our third visit and each time it gets better. We have dined both inside and outdoors, enjoyed both. The salmon was fabulous and my husband had the lamb chops and said they were perfect. I can't wait to return and highly recommend L'Orcio.Special Features:
- Best outdoor dining in New HavenluvnewhavenDined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful dinner at L'Orcio and I highly recommend this neighborhood restaurant offering fabulous Italian (not red sauce Italian mind you) food. The outdoor patio is very special and extremely pleasant on most summer evenings. I had the lobster ravioli which was packed with lobster. Great special selection list. Everyone in our party cleared their plate. Desserts are also greatl, the best tiramisu on the planet. When we don't sit on the patio, we like to eat at the bar, cozy but nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnertable42Dined on 7/18/2014Beautiful night for outdoor dining in the sunken patio area. Relaxing ambience, delicious food, attentive and friendly staff! An enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Food was mediocre at best. Service was terrible. I had really high expectations for this restaurant and was mightly disappointed. Liked the bartender though! And the outdoor patio was really pretty. Goodfellas down the road has much better food.Special Features:
- Not your typical Italian restaurantgdel64Dined on 7/16/2014From the tomato sauce to the excellent veal every dish at L'Orcio was a treat to the pallet. Everything was so fresh and tasty. Anything on the menu is a good choice. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantasdfghDined on 7/13/2014Nice Italian restaurant near downtown New Haven. Menu is limited to their specialties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good as usualRistoranteUomoVIPDined on 7/3/2014Good food as usual, not too many exciting choices but everything is very good. Branzino special was very good. Place was almost annoyingly loud on this particular night, very hard to have a conversation at our table for 4.