806 State Street
New Haven, CT 06511Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://lorcio.com/
- Phone: (203) 777-6670
- Hours of Operation:
Friday Lunch Special
(3 Courses $19)
11:30 - 2:30
Sunday 4:30 - 9:00
Tuesday - Thursday 5:00 - 9:30
Friday & Saturday 5:00 - 10:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Francesco d'Amuri
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: L'Orcio has a private dining area that works well for small intimate functions as well as large groups of up to 50. Menus are customized to customers requests.
- Private Party Contact: Alison 2037776670
A word from L'Orcio
L'Orcio is an upscale dining establishment serving Contemporary Italian Cuisine. In house made specialty pastas like Gnocchi, Papparedelle and Eggplant Ravioli are only part of the L'Orcio experience. Chef d'Amuri, an Italian native, also works his magic grilling whole fish and juicy steaks and offers a variety of meat and fish dishes daily. Desserts like Tiramisu', Charlotte agli Amaretti and Lemon Tart are also prepared in house. A relaxing and elegant ambiance with a European flare is the perfect backdrop for lunch, dinner or spirits. Located in a refurbished historical home the restaurant offers three unique spaces for their guests. Whether you're having a cocktail at the handsome bar, an intimate dinner in the elegant dining room or Appetizers with friends under the Wysteria covered Pergola in the courtyard all of your senses are sure to be pleased. Family owned and operated with an eye for detail L'Orcio has a lot to offer. Come in for a meal, a drink or just to say "Ciao."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'Orcio reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (51)romantic (45)special occasion (43)great for outdoor dining (42)notable wine list (20)good for groups (19)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- loved itMary5567Dined on 11/19/2014we went here in November 2014 to celebrate our 26 th Anniversary I was looking for ROMANTIC place well I found it here at L'Orcio. Our food was hot an delicious there were no complaints. I definitely would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Italian on State St.RickDined on 11/7/2014Having just returned from 14 days in Italy and Sicily, we felt as if we had never left! The house antipasto platter was glorious with the best house roasted peppers and capers! The pasta is fresh, and the blood orange sorbetto...to finish. We can't wait to try the outdoor patio in the warm months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid during Restaurant Week!winendineDined on 11/6/2014I should have known better! I have to assume L'Orcio can do better than this, but it was Restaurant Week in New Haven. That should teach me not to bargain hunt, but 3 courses for $32 was too appealing. Service was rushed and inexperienced.Dishes were missing finishing touches- no ground pepper offered, the parmesan cheese mentioned in the menu description was missing from our dishes. Dessert was a rather runny creme brulee, served with a fork! Combine that with the fact we felt so rushed, we were asked for our order within moments of sitting down, and each course came out so fast it seemed obvious they were trying to turn over the tables! I understand it's a hectic week, but why not try to entice people into coming back?Special Features:
- TastyloveCTfoodDined on 11/5/2014Went here for New Haven Restaurant Week and was so pleased with my choice. The staff was welcoming and friendly and the atmosphere was warm and cozy. Perfect for date night or a fun night with friends. Food was delicious!! Everything tasted fresh and the choices were great! Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!PhillyDined on 11/5/2014We went to L'Orcio and enjoyed it so much. We wre taking a colleague to dinner to celebrate. The ragu was so delicious and such comfort food! I went back the next week and the people from the office want to go for our Christmas dinner! I can't wait!Special Features:
- Pretty goodAmorican81Dined on 11/4/2014The restaurant is cozy, service is exceptional, but the food is just not that memorable. We had the mussels, ravioli di ceci and papadelle pomodoro. The pasta was great, as you can tell its homemade, but all the sauces were quite bland. There is too many great italian restaurants around the area to not stand out in some way, and L'orcio unfortunately does not.
- Great Date!!LizDDined on 11/3/2014My friend and I have been dying to try L'Orcio's for a while now. It just so happened that they were listed as participating in New Haven Restaurant Week, so even better! We had great service, food, and wine! We scoped it out as a future date place for our significant others. Definitely a must try in New Haven - Upper State Street area!Special Features:
- Enjoy and relax. Not over the topLoriDined on 11/2/2014Nice and simple. Interesting and not confusing in taste. The trend to be different often leads to less than expected. Quietly comfortable for indoor dining.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice Italian RestaurantLPT1Dined on 10/25/2014The service and resturant were very nice. We ate upstairs it was a bit noisey but quaint. Our watress was just perfect with the timing and attention. My wife and daughter had the Gnocchi which they loved. I had the veal which was a bit tough with a bit of grizzel. I wanted it to be better as I only have it once or twice a year. I am willing to think it was just a fluke. The overall experiance was very nice and I would give it another try.Special Features:
- L'orcioNew2newhavenDined on 10/25/2014Excellent service, good cocktails, very good food. We enjoyed caeser salad, two entrees and dessert. Decent wine list. We had a terric waitress - she anticipated our every need and was quiet and deft. No silly fake friendliness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BellamammaDined on 10/24/2014Excellent food but service was a little slow. We didn't mind since we wanted to visit with friends & dine. Not the place to go if you have to get in & out. If you want a leisurely dinner, with great food, this is the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatrDined on 10/18/2014Food was excellent but it took way too long for it to appear.Special Features:
- Almost perfect dinnerDickK72Dined on 10/18/2014My wife and I had dinner here Saturday Oct 18th and were impressed by every dish except the special - Eggplant Parmesan - which regrettably was overcooked and just mush - most disappointing for an otherwise fine restaurant.Special Features:
- Solid choice for Italian foodGburyGuyDined on 10/15/2014Little more than a mile from Yale University, this small (~10 table) neighborhood restaurant was a pleasant choice for a pre-theater dinner. Especially nice was the swordfish entree, garnished with root vegetables.Special Features:
- jp88Dined on 10/12/2014Wish that we had not waited 14 years to try L'Orcio, best Italian food and possibly best restaurant we have been to since living in CT. Everything about the meal, service, and setting was true best value for the money! We are genuinely independent from the restaurant and these words are sincere. Being we are not familiar with New Haven and parking, we were confused about where it was safe to park without getting towed or a summons. Although the surrounding side streets had available places, we were unsure what "zone 3" parking meant. Maybe parking communications might help visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Im a foolEatwellDined on 10/11/2014We live 10 min. from L'Orcios and I have never been there. Myself and my wife go out dinning often. We enjoyed the food, the service, the atmosphere, and just the total experience. I don't want to share but its too late for that. One does have to make reservations if you dont want to eat at 10pm on the weekend. But that goes having a great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereCarlosDined on 10/11/2014My first time here with friends and Overall it was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Italian DiningTartanjugVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food and service are spectacular! From their homemade pastas to their salads and desserts, you will not find a better restaurant in New Haven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian in New HavenVisitorfoodieDined on 10/7/2014Great good, especially the pastas and the seafood!Special Features:
- Gmkathy2Dined on 10/3/2014While visiting New Haven we wanted some really good Italian food. We definitely found it here. My husband had ziti with sausage and a red sauce which he raved about. I had a ravioli dish with wild mushrooms, it was sooo good. For dessert we shared a marscapone and Nutella crepe....There are no words to describe this wonder. Excellent meal, helpful hosts at the front desk and great, knowledgeable wait staff. Great bartender and generous sized drinks. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant with Dining AppealRhodyFanDined on 9/26/2014Though one doesn't have to be dressed up, the atmosphere is respectable and, for those interested, even a bit romantic. The food and service was excellent. A definite do again. Nice for out of town guests whom you want to impress.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Good was excellent, service was good. Very nice comfortable environment. Very pleasurable experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treatLisaCDined on 9/20/2014We've been here three times and only dropped off our new college student at the end of August. The food is amazing and the staff is extremely friendly. We're making this our go-to every time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndyDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant is a favorite for us. I love the farro salad appetizer and the filet mignon with the gorgonzola sauce is my favorite entree. My husband is especially fond of the veal dishes. If weather permits, the outdoor patio with hanging vines is the nicest outdoor seating in the area. The inside is beautiful too with nicely crafted woodwork.Special Features:
- House-made pasta!FiresignDined on 9/14/2014Great rustic Italian fare w/ traditional favorites & new twists (chickpea ravioli). House-made pasta was fantastic. Prices for food & wine were reasonable, & wine list is mostly Italian in origin. Appeared to be a nice garden courtyard out back for dining; though, we were not offered the option to sit there. Only point of improvement would be the table service. The dining area is fairly intimate & was not at capacity, & other larger groups seated after our small party received their courses much more quickly. Over 2 hours for a meal with no appetizer or dessert was overly drawn out. Server did not offer any details on dishes/specials, and was not especially attentive. Timing & attention issues seemed to be server specific.Special Features:
- Craig BenderCDBndrDined on 9/13/2014Got there early 5:45 seated right away, there were only a few tables seated at this point, apps and drinks came right out, the place was filling up. The entrees took way too long from the time we places our order at which time it still was not very busy. Fortunately the food was good and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeresaDined on 9/5/2014The food was delicious, The setting was very pretty. Nice outdoor area. Good value. Pleasant serviceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Lovely pergola over outdoor seating. The meal was flavorful, the service inpecable and the dessert worth going back for just for dessert!Special Features:
- Friday lunch in the garden!MajaDined on 9/5/2014Fridays are the only days L'Ocio's is open for lunch--would that it was more--and it won't be long before their lovely pergola-covered garden is closed for the season, so make a reservation right now! The three-course special menu had many delicious choices for under $20, and the service was friendly and attentive. What a plesant way to start the weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Haven mustJimatehereDined on 9/3/2014Very pleasant interior courtyard is the perfect setting for enjoying food that will make you think fondly of Italy. If you have never been to Italy here is your chance, go to L'Orcio in New Haven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect patio dinner experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/30/2014Patio is perfect oasis to catch up with friends & enjoyed great food! Shared house appetizer, three of us had sea bass which was delicious & beautifully presented and fourth guest's lamb chops were cooked to perfection. Waitstaff perfect, didn't rush us, made sure pace of the meal allowed us to enjoy our time together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Patio! The Patio!dmmkhesanhhill861Dined on 8/24/2014We love L'Orcio for special occasion dining and have never had a bad experience there. The outdoor patio in back seems to be better and more charming every year as the greenery on the overhead arbor fills out more and more with every season. To be fair, we have only eaten inside once ( winter) and while the food was its consistent very good to excellent, the ambiance of the outdoor patio is what appeals to us. It's like being on the set of a Broadway play with the facades of the neighboring buildings -- not ugly, just natural for a neighborhood in New Haven -- rising up beyond the walls of the patio. Beats the heck out of sidewalk dining every time. Even in the heat of summer it's lovely out there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Italian near YaleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Great ambience in the outside seating area, attentive and thoughtful service, excellent Italian restaurant near Yale. Travelling through for college drop off, couldn't have been better. Wet pastas were superb. Great salad choices. Good wine list.All five of us loved our food, ranging from picky foodie-type right down to meat 'n potatoes high school student.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGBdimoVIPDined on 8/21/2014This restaurant was one of the best I've been to in a long time! Everything was outstanding...and take it from me who is 100% Italian. It was truly great on all levels - ambiance, service and of course the FOOD!!! They also have a GREAT garden area in the back. If you are in New Haven and looking for a great place for dinner - run!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014Beautiful outdoor space. Solid meal enjoyed by all.
- Good as usual, kitchen very slowRistoranteUomoVIPDined on 8/19/2014Branzino remains a standout as do the home made pastas. Kitchen on this visit, on a slow overall night, was very slow. Over two hours for dinner, not sure what the issue was but everyone was pretty tired after it was over!I would recommend this to a friend.
- PastaeatingoutDined on 8/9/2014It's a small place and they make their own pasta. The menu offers a variety of dishes which feature their pasta along with meat, chicken and seafood dishes. The food is amazingly well prepared and served piping hot. The garden is lovely in the summer for a romantic special occasion. They also have a great wine list.Special Features:
- Good Food Ambiance Needs workSavannahDined on 8/8/2014The food was very good. Wait staff was ok. Waited too long for our wine. Need more wine by the glass selections also. There were too many flies buzzing around. Very annoying and grotesque to bat flies away while you are eating. We felt the place was way too loud. They first wanted to seat us at the table right near the bar. GLAD we changed our table. Bar area needs to be walled off to buffer noise. Place also needs noise bafflers put in place here and there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experienceYaleVDined on 8/1/2014Never fails to impress. My cousin has a garlic / onion food allergy and because all dishes are cooked up fresh, she could pick and choose from the menu and was so delighted with the flexibility offered to her. Service is always excellent and dining on the patio is wonderful. Super wine list. Excellent food as always.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening in New HavenWatermanDined on 7/29/2014Everything was perfect. The atmosphere is great, the food was excellent, and the staff was friendly.Special Features: