Lopez Southwest Kitchen
2196 Lee Road
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
Lopez Southwest Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lopezonlee.com/
- Phone: 2169329000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Michael Herschman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Seve 2169329000
A word from Lopez Southwest Kitchen
Lopez is the preeminent Southwest/Mexican Restaurant in Ohio. Originating chef, Rick Bayless inspired the menu, and the tradition of bold & exciting regional Mexican & Southwest flavors continues to dominate the nightly menu, as the kitchen is led by Chef Michael Herschman. An incredible line of 100% agave tequilas, signature margaritas, spicy & vibrant creative tacos, fajitas, fresh fish & uncompromising vegetarian fare flows out of the all scratch kitchen. Surely, Lopez Southwest is a tremendous Cleveland imitation of a Chicago interpretation of a Santa Fe presentation! Please call us whenever you wish to discuss details for any reservation, or for parties greater than 6. The Lopez Patio is like no other and the destination for wonderful al fresco dining in ClevelandContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Lopez Southwest Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Cleveland Heights ›
Lopez Southwest Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (58)great for outdoor dining (58)fit for foodies (44)hot spot (26)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (19)special occasion (11)kid-friendly (10)romantic (9)great for lunch (8)late-night find (6)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Dinner outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Great food especially the fish tacos! Our server was exceptional. She gave a great explanation about the margaritas and all the types of tequila as we were not experts. The patio was perfect for dinner before going to Cain Park. Will be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best taco everjzsimmonsDined on 8/7/2014We grabbed dinner here before a concert at Cain Park and really enjoyed our visit. It was beautiful outside, so we sat next to the patio but inside with a great breeze. Very nice atmosphere. The 1/2 priced blood orange margarita was tasty, but a little weak. Decent beer selection with a large margarita menu. The menu is expensive for Mexican, but the party if 4 I was with all loved their meals. I had the best taco ever, lobster with guacamole. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!MjgswgDined on 8/2/2014Lopez has the BEST margaritas in town!!!! :). The staff is friendly and helpful---and the food is phenomenal!!! Love it!Special Features:
- great mexican food for years!!JonesyDined on 8/2/2014Lopez has been providing outstanding Mexican food for decades and they just keep on rolling. Tons of options and all are really good. Plus they keep changing up the menu with great new dishes.Special Features:
- Lobster TacoshedgestdiDined on 8/1/2014So I will admit, my return trip to Lopez was with the intent of getting Lobster Tacos. They are delicious. Lopez serves other Mexican food. I however prefer the taco list. Good restaurant, with good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner but not consistentJJD2001Dined on 8/1/2014I used to not care for this restaurant due to the over priced drinks and over priced food. The food has gotten better and I think it is worth the money. The drinks.... not so much. Our last visit was this past weekend and there were some highs and lows. The calamari was pleasantly awesome (and I will definitely order it again in the future). We ordered two burritos - one with skirt steak and blue cheese and the other was the pork special. The steak one was a lot better the last time we ordered it a few months back so that left us disappointed. However, the other was excellent and will keep us coming back. I wish that the food and service would be consistently good every time so I can stop doubting whether or not to go back.Special Features:
- experiencelopezDined on 7/18/2014The food was good but the service was average.This is my second time coming in and I had to wait a long time for our server to greet us, then even longer to get our drinks. It was not many people in the restaurant the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Foodie" Tacos are the BESTDocjavadudeDined on 7/18/2014Lopez has become one of our favorite spots in the Cedar-Lee area. This occasion was for dinner before a concert at nearby Cain Park. Blood Orange Margarita with spicy rim was a standout among the four we tried. Best tacos of the night: Barbacoa (OMG it is so AMAZINGLY good!), Lobster, and Mole-crusted seared tuna. The jalapeno cheese grits simply cannot be missed. My only gripe is the minimum order of tacos (2) -- it would be great to be able to order one taco (they are massively stuffed) with multiple sides. It is a LOT of food to have 2 tacos, grits, and guacamole sampler. But it is all SO GOOD it's worth the indulgent belly-stuffing!Special Features:
- bfromcranbfromcranDined on 7/15/2014Been going there for years, however since Michael Hershman to over as Executive Chef it's become even better. This is not your typical Mexican restaurant. It's far exceeds any Mexican restaurant around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local Tex/MexJayMinkDined on 7/12/2014From the tequila options to signature food options, Lopez did not disappoint. Been quite awhile since visiting this locally owned watering hole and enjoyed two different enchiladas: eggplant and the amazing lobster. Highly recommend you pair this eatery along with a movie at the Cedar Lee Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOOOOVE LOPEZ!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/11/2014We LOVED our dinner (as usual)! Our steak fajitas were cooked to perfection. Our server Kristi was the best!! Great night...will be back soon. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LopezMrWonderfulVIPDined on 7/10/2014An excellent restaurant with diverse selections. Sitting outside was gloriousSpecial Features:
- SunflowerSunflowerDined on 6/21/2014This place is one of my favorites. It is consistently excellent in all aspects.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentRobbVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food is always excellent and the service outstanding. Hugh, the manager, runs an exemplary establishment. This place has its regulars, in addition to the occasional visitor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningMadcowDined on 6/16/2014We ate outside on a Monday summer night and it was lovely. I always appreciate the wait staff at Lopez and wasn't disappointed. The waiter was very helpful and non-intrusive. The food was great. I do wish that there were more vegetarian options on the menu, though.Special Features:
- Glad to have found my way backOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014I had been to Lopez many, many years ago and was so happy to find my way back again with my husband. We had a wonderful table on the patio and were greeted with enthusiasm and kindness by the valet and the General Manager. The food was fantastic (beware of the hot sauce on the table!) and we loved our server, although we were disappointed that he went M.I.A. when it came time to clear the table and pay. There were also plenty of gluten-free options on the menu. My only constructive criticisms would be the excessively salty tortilla chips and the disappearing act from our server. We will return again soon.Special Features:
- always goodmycuzinvinyDined on 6/7/2014designer Mexican. very tasty and consistent. Lobster tacos are always great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2014The food was very good. The jalapeño polenta was excellent as was the lobster ravioli. The service was ok.Special Features:
- Lopez is a winner!CalienteDined on 5/24/2014Great experience at Lopez; nice atmosphere, good service and fantastic food. The veggie fajitas were served with more than the usual onion/pepper mix. Would go again soon!Special Features:
- jsjuliaVIPDined on 5/23/2014This is one of my favorite restauarants in Cleveland, I have never had a bad meal! You must order their guacamole and shrimp and grits. Their margaritas and mojitos aren't too bad either!Special Features:
- Great food, expensive drinksJJD2001Dined on 5/17/2014We hadn't been to Lopez in a couple years so we thought we'd give it another try and bring some out-of-town guests. Our table was not ready until 15 minutes after our reservation time which started the night off on a bad note. However, the fresh salsa and chips were excellent. Our burritos/tacos were phenomenal (duck confit burrito, skirt steak burrity and lamb puffy taco were so good that I would go back next week just to get those again). However, the service was a bit slow and our server seemed to be a tad forgetful. I think the margaritas are over priced especially for now strong (or not strong) they are. I will definitely go back but will try to go when there is some sort of happy hour. Keep up the good work on the food!Special Features:
- Dining at LopezMarytDined on 5/10/2014We recently dined at Lopez and the experience was just as we expected: excellent! We've been there before and so this time we took some friends who couldn't say enough about it! Everything from the vibrant decor to our very friendly waitress...and the restaurant mananger, who checked on our table, were as we expected: excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 483 reviews are from the Lopez Southwest Kitchen reviews archive.
- Always a good spot!Lokes10Dined on 5/3/2014Every time we go to Lopez, we always have a great time, eat a great meal and have excellent service. I highly reco the lobster tacos and their guac is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lopez Does Not DisappointDrJennyDined on 4/19/2014Every time I visit Cleveland Hts, I request to go to Lopez. Their by the glass wine list is good, the salsa is really fresh, the atmosphere is fun, and I just tried the eggplant enchiladas and thought they were to die for. I'm sorry I only get to come once a year.Special Features:
- home runFoodrxDined on 4/12/2014Took my out of town family to enjoy a meal. Good service great food and drinks. Sat outdoors on the beautiful patio. Everyone was very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is usually more energetic,OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/26/2014It is usually more energetic, but we arrived early because we were seeing a show. The food was very good, but I miss some of the old entree items ( mezcal chicken)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine for pre or post movieMoofVIPDined on 3/25/2014Have been frequenting Lopez for years. The quality of the food is not as good as in the past. Skimpy on sauces and dressings and the Charred Caesar was covered in shredded cheese but the flavor was uninteresting. Guacamole had an old avocado look and taste. The chicken enchilada was dry and uninviting to eat. Margaritas were good. Steak fajitas fine. The service was excellent, and the staff are very friendly! We would go back, but only to pair it with a movie across the street; but we will be very careful what we order. Will stick with the fajitas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice change of paceHarleyraddocVIPDined on 3/22/2014We have always enjoyed dining at Lopez. We have had experiences that ranged from good to fantastic, depending on a mix of food, crowd, and service. This night, very crowded, slow service, but good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cleveland's finest SouthWest diningShakaVIPDined on 3/21/2014There are other restaurants in the area, some new, some old. But all of them pale in comparison to the consistent dining experience we get from Lopez. We typically dine here a half dozen times a year, and love to try the various new/special items offered by the chef. As always, I suggest the puffy taco special, it never fails to amaze. The BMF burritos are always a good bet, as is the taco bar. Beyond that, what more can I say that I haven't already said in prior reviews for Lopez? Best SW/mex style dining in Cleveland. I could name off a few close competitors, but Lopez remains our #1 ... go check it out ASAP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Goodeats3Dined on 3/11/2014The food was absolutely delicious! Very generous portions too. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good foodRobbVIPDined on 3/9/2014As usual, the food was excellent, service terrific and portions plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good timeEatingoutwithkidsVIPDined on 3/8/2014Usually end up at Lopez about 1/month, but have been there for some reason 3 times in the past 4 weeks. Had a great time each visit - ranging from hanging out at the bar with some work colleagues to bringing the family to dinner. Food is usually very good, some choices I think better than the others. I personally like the tacos and the fajitas or order off the specials (the current smoked trout puffy taco is really good). The guac trio is also a favorite. Servers are very nice and attentive. The drinks are really great, I am a classic margarita kind of person - usually get it with the spicy rub and never disappointed. The tequila list looks pretty good, but admit I am no expert. Overall a very good place to go.Special Features:
- Good authentic Mexican mealMikeys23Dined on 3/8/2014First time at Lopez. Remember it from when it was Lopez and Gonzalez many years ago. Always received great reviews, though I was never able to visit. Diverse crowd. Lot of families, though I wouldn't necessarily consider it a family-friendly restaurant (they do have children's menu). Menu had lot of options. Several smaller plates (appetizers, etc) if not interested in big meal. Watch out for the chips and salsa. Quite addicting, and server just kept bringing. Guac trio was fantastic. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican Food in OhioEngleVIPDined on 2/25/2014Really great tacos. Nice combination of flavors. Only negative, don't think there is much booze in the margaritas. Need to have Rick Bayless come back and show them how to make a great margarita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best margaritasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014East or west these margaritas are the best. Get a flight of four and try 4 different flavors. Been to the trendy one on the west side and this is 10 times better. Great food, great service, great drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great restaurant! FromMariMoDined on 2/15/2014What a great restaurant! From the hostess greeting us to our waiter being attentive but giving us space to take our time and dine! Love this place. The best margarita in town!Special Features:
- Excellent Mexican fusionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The menu has lots of delicious choices. The food a service were excellent. Will definitely be back when in Cleveland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Lopez, but this wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/1/2014We love Lopez, but this was not a great experience. No one came to our table for 15 minutes, and then the server just said, "I'll be back in a minute." My husband's chicken was very dry, and not flavorful. The wrong dinner was brought for one of us, and then the wrong dessert was brought.
- Palate-pleasing Tex-Mex ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/4/2014Everything from the chips and salsa and margaritas to the entrees and desserts were delicious! Large portions were enough for a 2nd meal the next day. Awesome service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of EnergysnipsVIPDined on 1/4/2014On weekends, Lopez SW Kitchen is not a place for a quiet dinner. (smile) We visited Saturday night after catching a film at the Cedar Lee and the place was hopping. As usual, the food was excellent, the servers busy, and the restaurant loud. We shared the Lobster Guacamole which was very good. albeit very meager on the lobster. Next time I will just order the traditional Guacamole. We love their salsa so after too many chips, neither of us could finish our dinners. I really enjoyed my Pulled Pork ‘Wet Burrito Style’ Enchilada and my companion enjoyed her seasonal vegetable fajitas. All and all we enjoyed the energy of the place and the food and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.