Lopez Restaurante y Cantina
635 Cass St.
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Lopez Restaurante y Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lopezrestaurante.com/
- Phone: 8313244260
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00AM - 4:30PM
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30PM - 9:00PM
Friday- Saturday: 4:30PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Ignacio Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Give the Lopez family your wishes and enough time in advance and we will make your catering experience the best you've ever had with onsite cooking and mixing!
- Entertainment: Friday nights are real fun with a 17 year old magnificent piano player. Salsa and merengue nights occassional - ask for more details.
A word from Lopez Restaurante y Cantina
Feel at home with Mama Chela's home made Michoacan style food. Recipes that date back to our small town in Mexico for more than 3 generations. Try Mama Chela's specialties such as Chile Relleno, Enchiladas, and Manchamantel (her world known mole version). Amazing fresh mexican seafood dishes. Great menu for everyone with many vegetarian options and spicy sauces for spicy food fanatics! Enjoy the biggest Tequila bar in the whole Monterey county with over 100 premium 100% de Agave Tequilas and with almost every mexican beer available in the USA including a micro brew not easily found from Mexicali called Cucapa! Come in eat the best mexican food and drink the best margaritas in the peninsula. Meet the Lopez family and experience sometihng very unique!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lopez Restaurante y Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance2.3Noise LevelQuiet
kid-friendly (1)good for groups (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Not what we expectedredheadDined on 8/6/2014Our hotel recommended as a neighborhood favorite. However, on a Wed. eve in Aug. @ 7:45, we were the only ones in the restaurant. The service was very good, obviously. Food OK. Big open space, concrete floor; really no ambience.
- great family restaurant!TheStigDined on 6/7/2014Larger than life portions, food was seasoned well, service was impeccable and with a smile; Just ask for Jacky daughter of owner. Very hospitable great recommendations with menu selections for myself and girlfriend. We couldn't ask for more next time we vacation in Monterey again Lopez's will certainly be high on our to go list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 22 reviews are from the Lopez Restaurante y Cantina reviews archive.
- DisappointingTastebudDined on 5/5/2014Lopez's was an extreme disappointment. Even with a reservation we had to wait for a table, primarily because we were at the host station at least five minutes before our presence was acknowledged. Even though the restaurant was only half full, the service was extremely slow and the wait staff seemed overwhelmed. We were hoping the food would make up for the service, but were again disappointed. The enchiladas and tamales were mediocre at best, the mole sauce was barely edible, and the beans were runny. My family will not be returning to this place.
- Another Visit to LopezTomBVIPDined on 4/21/2014We came back to Lopez Restaurante y Cantina again for the second time during our four day stay in Monterey. We cannot get authentic Mexican food where we live, so we returned for another fine meal. Janet provided polite service. You will not leave hungry!Special Features:
- A Find in MontereyTomBVIPDined on 4/18/2014Lopez Restaurante y Cantina is off the beaten path in Monterey. It is the best Mexican food I have had in some time. I recommend the Camerones Rojo and A La Diabla Camerones which were perfectly seasoned along with garlic, peppers, and onions. Our server, Jackie recommended both dishes to us. She deserves kudos for the recommendations and for her cheerful attentive service.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceTxhartVIPDined on 3/30/2014You may not travel to Monterey to get Mexican food but you should! This small family run place has great food and service. Try the Chicken Mole, one of the best I've ever had. It's off the beaten path as well which makes it a great find for those looking for something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large group, great food and servicerickDined on 3/29/2014Every one of our group of 14 remarked about the great food - dishes were served at one time, presentation was outstanding and wait staff very friendly and helpful. Kitchen output was impressive given the small space and 2+ chefs - there was a delay in serving the dinner which is understandable give the size of our group. A full bar service bridged the gap. I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgiaGeorgiaDined on 2/26/2014We love Mexican food. This is the best! Family run, authentic. If you love good food and you're in Monterrey, you should not miss this - and have a Margarita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice findRichVIPDined on 2/24/2014We were traveling and hunted for Mexican. We found this place and while weren't sure about it on the way in, it turned out to be very good. The service was especially good, and everyone liked everything but for one dish. All in all,a nice surprise. I would go thee often if I lived nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go Elsewhere!Ric2Dined on 2/22/2014Food was marginal, wait staff TRIED, but didn't make it. Ambiance was that of a large barn.
- amazing tamalesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/1/2014We ate here for dinner with a group of 10 adults and kids. The place is a hole in the wall, but the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Mexican FoodSuzyQVIPDined on 1/19/2014This is ok. The restaurant was virtually empty when we were there. The food was fine and the prices very moderate. Nothing fabulous about this place but nothing to complain about either. Standard Mexican at good prices.
- The food has a bland tatecpadresVIPDined on 8/17/2013The food has a bland tate and lacking Mexican flavor.
- Mexican SurpriseyogiwanDined on 7/28/2013It is not often you find a Mexican restaurant in a neighborhood that serves other than the typical stuff. But Lopez Restaurante y Cantina is one of those exceptions. We were looking for something quick but good on a late Sunday and followed a suggestion from Around Us and verified vy Open Table. Menu selection was good. The food was really tasty and well prepared. Tamales and tacos were well above average to the point where we sent off recommendations to several friends who visit the area frequently. Strong recommendation for this neighbor hood (not too far from downtown) restaurant..Special Features:
- Urban GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2013We were in the mood for Mexican food while driving home one evening and found Lopez Restaurante y Cantina on Open Book. We decided to try it. We were immediately greeted and seated by a friendly gentlemen and asked what we would like to drink. The menu had a great deal of variety and family favorites. My chile relleno was the best I have ever had and the red sauce on my enchilada was delicious. We will definitely return and tell our friends.Special Features:
- Friendly and caringOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2013Really friendly and caring team. Went out of their way to ensure we were happy. The food was great.Special Features:
- OK Mexican food, but nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/7/2012OK Mexican food, but nothing to write home about. The hostess was clueless about OpenTable, so the reservation was pointless. Fortunately, they had room for us. The dining room was dark and windowless; the fajitas ordered by a large group smoked up the whole room: there was poor air circulation. The server was friendly.
- The food is really good, butRuthHDined on 4/13/2012The food is really good, but the atomosphere could use some work. Better lighting would help a lot.
- Authentic Mexican food. ImaginativKensnameistooshortDined on 10/21/2011Authentic Mexican food. Imaginative combinations. Very tasty.Special Features:
- Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2011We had a party of 8 including two toddlers who made too much noise, and they were patient about that. But, the margaritas were terrible. We ordered pitchers of two different kinds from their menu. They used "organic" tequila so maybe that was the problem; I don't know. One waitress for too many tables. My husband did not like the food at all; mine was okay but I've had much better!Special Features:
- Mmmm...TamalesKimmieWDined on 5/21/2011The tamales were sensational. I'm from southern California, and can honestly say, I've never had a tamale that well prepared from my town. The service was amazing. I wish I could remember the waitress's name...she was very attentive and friendly. If I ever make it back to Monterey, Lopez restaurant will be on my list of visits.Special Features:
- Ran out of Pacifico!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2011Service was slow. They didn't have calimari and they ran out of Pacifico beer. The refried beans were almost white, the chips ok and the salsa nothing special. It took 45 minutes to get our food and they werent busy. Needless to say, we won't return and we don't recommend it.
- Family run Mexican restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/12/2011Family run Mexican restaurant. Very friendly and attentive service. Not fancy, but good food and service in a pleasant setting.
- The servers are very friendlyEpdinsDined on 12/5/2010The servers are very friendly and personable (family operated). The food we had was very good and freshly prepared, reasonably priced. My husband and I each had a margarita--muy bueno! Try the fried ice cream for dessert--scrumptious! One drawback is that the restaurant is hard to find unless you know exactly where you're going (signage is not very large.) Other than that, we'll definitely be back!Special Features: