240 Westheimer Road
Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.olivierhouston.com/
- Phone: 7133606313
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Olivier Ciesielski
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from L'Olivier Houston
L'Olivier Restaurant & Bar is a Modern French and American Bistro nestled in the eclectic mix of the Lower Westheimer/Montrose neighborhood and has fit into this scene by standing out. L'Olivier's patio is casual and playful, the bar elegant and refined, the dining room sumptuous yet modern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
L'Olivier Houston - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Montrose ›
L'Olivier Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)special occasion (34)notable wine list (29)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (24)good for groups (11)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (9)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- AKAstridDined on 8/30/2014Excellent meal from start to finish! Great wine selection and wonderful service from out waiter Daniel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor quality food and worse serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Dined at L'Olivier during Houston restaurant week. My girlfriends cocktail tasted like kitchen cleaner, the bread basket (which was a $2 add on to the set menu price- weird?) had 2 bread rocks and 1 decent roll. The pork was incinerated and had the taste of straight charcoal. Cheese course was not to our expectation - the Roquefort seemed to have been molded and reformed for some reason. Finally the desserts were impressive only because I did not think a waffle and ice cream could be bad. I was unfortunately wrong. Service throughout seemed clueless to the menu, confused when we wanted to order a single glass of one of the recommended wines instead of the full pairing and oblivious to our dislike of
- a great neighborhood French placeellabellaDined on 8/27/2014we dined during the restaurant week and surprisingly the place was pretty empty . The food was delicious and prepared with care , The watermelon gazpacho however was overpowered by tomato juice which I did not expect . The pork medallion were tender and flavourul. overall all our dishes were well prepared The service was very attentive , may be too attentive, I guess since we were the only other table We had to ask for the restaurant week menu twice before it was brought to us . I can understand why overall good experience and would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better every time we visitFrequentDinersVIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I have enjoyed lunch (once) and dinner (perhaps 5 times) since "discovering" this restaurant in May 2014 /-. As good as any in Houston but needs more exposure - at least is not too difficult to schedule a reservation so maybe keep it somewhat to ourselves. Great and broad menu, excellent wines. Well worth the cost but not overly expensive. Best features overall are the food quality and menu; and as good as any service/staff in Houston from opening the front door and a personal greeting to excellent table staff and followup/attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!girlfriendsdinearoundDined on 8/20/2014A very quaint spot and definitely neighborhood gem. The Beef Bourguignon was delish and the Terra Rosa Malbec paired by the chef took it over the top!Special Features:
- L'OlivierJW1221Dined on 8/16/2014There are some good food items at L'Olivier, but the restaurant suffers from poor service and training and uneven portion choices. We waited 40 minutes for ordered wine and asked for bread. I almost left then. The instant that we got wine, the kitchen service threw down our first course. The pate was good, but the two pate slabs were larger than the small amounts of toast and pickles. Second course was too big for me, but my wife's entre was tiny and our wine was served late. The waiter cleared her plate quickly, leaving me to dine alone -- poor training was evident. The dessert was good, floating island, but needed better execution. I prefer Etoile for both food and good service.Special Features:
- Excellent timeIrena007Dined on 8/15/2014We had a party of 10 for dinner on a Friday evening during Restaurant Weeks. We all enjoyed a cocktail at the bar while waiting everyone to arrive. The bartenders were friendly and the ambiance was bright and cheery. Perfect way to start the evening. During dinner, our waiter was very friendly, helpful with all of our questions, and patient while we all selected our food and drinks. The food was amazing. I had the smoked salmon, duck leg confit, Brie & Compte cheese course and the crème brûlée. I also opted for the wine pairings, which were all very good with the food. Everyone loved their meals and even with 4 courses, the portions were appropriately sized that we all managed to eat most of our food. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WillyDined on 8/13/2014Why have I taken so long to try this gem?! Will definitely return -- probably to experience an evening meal.Special Features:
- Uniquely GreatFuzzyVIPDined on 8/8/2014Have been wanting to go to L'Olivier for a while, but was cautious about the $$$ and fear of heavy creamy french food. Decided to go since they had a Houston Restaurant weeks menu. Restaurant is nicely decorated, and tasteful. Not over done and stuffy. After reviewing the menu, I decided I wanted to eat off the regular menu. The food was tasty yet subtle. Nothing over powering, but still an explosion of subtle flavor. The service was good. Our waiter was a bit edgy at first, but he warmed up. The Sommelier is just hands down fantastic. Not arrogant, and you can TRULY see his passion for wine and especially people. Watch this guy… he has trained with some huge Houston names, and is going to be a star. It was a great experience!Special Features:
- Great Awesome FindBoyzrusrDined on 8/8/2014Our food was Wonderful!! The steak tartare was the best I've ever had and the Branzino was amazing. Our waiter was very helpful knowledgeable and entertaining. I love the fact that you could hear without trouble and yet it seemed to be a happening place. We are planning to return soon with all of our friends. The prices were reasonable and the wine menu was smart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceMarkDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I tried this place for Houston Restaurant Weeks and we really enjoyed our experience here. Had a drink and snack at the bar before dinner. Bartender was great and service spot on. Pate was amazing. Got seated and had really great service and delicious food (beef bourgignon and duck confit were excellent). The way in which the waiter (Eric) described the menu items made them sound even more appealing than the menu - he is talented. Overall a very pleasant experience which I would repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnjadoreallerauxrestosDined on 8/8/2014After being seated and having checked the menu we sat, and sat, and sat, waiter never showed up. Finally we acted and he showed, but seemed spaced out! We placed order and it was brought out wrong, TWICE. Then one of us three found some kind of fabric thread in her steak salad. The extremely small beef gratin looked like the meat was pulled pork (what meat there was). It was also served with a side of salad greens, which should have been noted on the menu, we then would NOT have ordered a salad as a first course.Special Features:
- Disappointing ExperienceOpTReviewsDined on 8/6/2014We tried L'Olivier for HRW, 8/14. We had high hopes to find a new french restaurant for our rotation, but the experience was very disappointing. Service was slow & poor - even though the restaurant was nearly empty (there were maybe 6 to 7 tables with diners). The two waiters responsible for the floor were at a total loss - and it didn't help them that the kitchen was also slow. The portions were minuscule and even poorly made - you could hardly find the Beef in the sea of mashed potatoes in the Beef Gratin, and the Profiteroles were totally underwhelming. How can anyone mess up Profiteroles?! I know French food isn't meant to be a value-based meal, but even at $20, they managed to make this a terrible value with poor service and weak food.
- GREAT ANYTIMESuburbanGourmetDined on 8/5/2014We ate a very late lunch here, receiving attentive service and delicious food beautifully presented. Our wine choice was very good and at a reasonable price, and the gracious hospitality was appreciated. We plan a return visit.Special Features:
- Excellent fooddinerDined on 8/5/2014We went for for lunch during Restaurant Week and one of us had that menu. We both enjoyed our meals very much. The food has always been excellent. The last time we were there we could not talk to each other because it was so noisy but this time it was very pleasant. Our service was very friendly and professional but extremely slow considering we were eating at an off hour and there was not a crowd. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Slow Lunch ServiceCroissantDined on 8/5/2014I can't speak to the dinner experience or weekend experience but from my first time going to L'Olivier for a business lunch I would say avoid it on weekday lunches. The service was incredibly slow. It not only felt under-staffed but the actual staff were slow to attend to us. They were nice enough when speaking but they never once apologized for the long wait. We started eating our appetizers a full hour and 25 minutes after we sat down, and it wasn't because we ordered slow. It was nearly 2 full hours before our main courses were out. What was supposed to be an hour and a half business lunch turned into THREE hours. Great food. Slow, unapologetic service. Would love to try for dinner some time though.Special Features:
- Restraint WeekDissipointedDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I went to L'Olivier on Saturday night. I had the smoked shrimp and my wife had the pork both were excellent. We will definitely be retuning.Special Features:
- Fine Dinning in MontroseHolostoiVIPDined on 8/2/2014Everything from the greeting to the chef stopping by was great and made dinning here a true gem. The tasting menu options represents a great value and I highly recommend the wine paring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never FailsOut2LunchVIPDined on 7/30/2014Lovely Restaurant, fabulous food, the best service (Eric). What more can I say?Special Features:
- Raw Chicken NightmareUTexaslawyerVIPDined on 7/23/2014My best friend and I recently went to try out L'Olivier for the first time. In light of their recent praise in the Houston Chronicle, we accepted the very slow service as the staff there was very friendly. We tried a mix of items from the menu as well as several wines. Alas, we tried their infamous fried chicken. Unfortunately, the inside was raw. The owner, Olivier could have cared less. Overall, the rest if our meal was ok, but nowhere near worth the $225 we spent. (The apple tart was superb.) Clear your schedule, though because you may need every bit of the 3 hours it took us to dine on what was very mediocre cuisine. Chef Olivier needs some cooking lessons.
- Great raw bar at L'OlivierOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 7/16/2014We had some great food from the raw bar during this trip to L'Olivier. Loved the King Crab and the New Zealand Langoustine! The Royal Osetra Caviar was served nicely as was the Smoked Salmon. Loved the Cheese plate as well. The wine list is growing and we enjoyed our selection. L'Olivier is worth a try, if you haven't been.Special Features:
- World Cup Brunch1DestinyDined on 7/13/2014The Sunday fried chicken brunch was wonderful. Best fried chicken, best mac n' cheese, perfectly cooked green beans with just the right amount of garlic. Chef Olivier visited with us at our table; he is both personable and amusing. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful. We had a terrific dining experience and we look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As each and every time...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2014At L' Olivier a fantastic dining experience, always.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/28/2014Heard about this restaurant awhile back and finally made a reservation - so happy we did - everyone was very pleased with everything they ordered (to the point that you are saying to each other, "You have to try this!" and sharing all around) and the service was outstanding! Between the 4 of us we decided we would have to visit several more times in the very near future just to try all the items on the menu that intrigued us! The chef came out and visited all the tables which I always appreciate and felt was 'above & beyond' the already very attentive service. And, although it was a Saturday night we could all hear each other clearly which is soooo nice! We would highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time to the restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014The starter salad and truffle ravioli appetizer were really good. I had the short ribs which came highly recommended by the waitstaff. I thought the rib meat had an overly strong flavor though. The potato cake that it came with was good. I wasn't excited about the shaved brussel sprouts or the risotto that we ordered as sides. The a la carte fish was disappointing - it lacked flavor. All of the seasoning was on the skin of the fish which we didn't want to eat. The nutella brownie melts in your mouth - very tasty. I would have preferred vanilla ice cream instead of the flavor that came on top of it, however. Overall good, just not amazing. The interior of the restaurant is lovely although I didn't find the chairs comfortable.Special Features:
- ImpeccableReginaDined on 6/26/2014No matter what day, no matter what meal, no matter who's working, every single visit to L'Olivier is a delightful experience, enhanced by carefully & artistically prepared dishes, and topped off by superb service. Comme si l'ensemble de l'univers existe dans un seul endroit!!!!Special Features:
- Outstandingbossgirl123Dined on 6/15/2014My husband and I are foodies, and the meal we had at L'Olivier was as fine as any we've had anywhere in the world. Highly recommend this wonderful restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Service EverslubieVIPDined on 6/15/2014The wrong dish was delivered to me by mistake and I didn't realize it until I had already tasted it. I was happy with the dish and told the waiter not to worry about it. Within minutes, the correct dish was delivered and the entire was table was able to sample the original order without charge. I really liked the mistaken dish better. However, I am totally impressed with a restaurant that has this level of concern with customer satisfaction. In fifty years of dining out, I have never experienced this before.Special Features:
- Always PerfectReginaDined on 5/30/2014L'Olivier never disappoints, and always delights. Every meal is a work of art!Special Features:
- Dinner on the PatioEKwilson36VIPDined on 5/29/2014We had a lovely time last week. The short ribs are amazing! For my husband, being able to bring his 4 legged pal gal was the best - Dali loved the patio.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2014loved the food...nice quiet date night with great wine and service!
- Bordeaux Wine DinnerBellaireBoyDined on 5/22/2014We attended the Bordeaux Wine Dinner and were treated to some delicious food and a Sommelier who absolutely knew his stuff. I think he had nearly 30 years of experience and was not pedantic and very eager to share his knowledge of this special area. The owner came by our table to check on the food and the Duck Leg Confit was amazing, the Poivre just as tasty. We had 25 or so people for this dinner and we had the side room, it was fun and I look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Took ForeverOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/21/2014Been to this restaurant a number of times. Always good food and service. This time the service was only so-so - a combination of in attentive service (egg., we had a bottle of wine and had to pour refills ouster lives) and very,very slow food delivery, even though the restaurant was not busy (only 4-5 tables occupied).
- MehBshipVIPDined on 5/11/2014We waited 30 minutes for our order to be taken. One server nearly spilled the starter in one of our parties lap. I ordered a second mimosa and the waiter brought it to me 30 minutes later. The Mother's Day prefixe was unexceptional. I was not pleased going here for a first time. Try Mockingbird Bistro for a better dining experience.Special Features:
- The following 110 reviews are from the L'Olivier Houston reviews archive.
- Outstanding French restaurantJimhVIPDined on 4/25/2014Friendly servers, excellent cocktails and wines, and extremely high quality French food make this a real gem. The bouillabaisse is full of seafood and not salty like in many other restaurants. Restaurant is very gluten friendly. Olivier can customize the menu to accommodate dietary requirements.Special Features:
- gourmet foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014Amazing. Able to find genuine gourmet food this side of New Orleans!Special Features:
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2014Overall I thought the food was good, but not great. However, the ambiance was very nice. I would consider going back.Special Features:
- DrearyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/17/2014Great waiter, but that's all I can say. Food mediocre. Zero ambience. Don't bother.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/12/2014Decided to try this with a group of friends. We had a great time. The hostess was friendly, the server was friendly and the food was outstanding. Definitely recommend the floating island dessert. We will definitely be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not hit the sweet spotdgfg99Dined on 3/29/2014L'Olivier has been heavily hyped in press reviews since opening, however one year on, the service does not match its aspirations. Table service was indifferent and very slow (for all diners) on only a moderately busy weekend night. Food was good, but not outstanding. Dessert was nothing special. Wine list too short for a top class establishment.Special Features: