240 Westheimer Road
Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.olivierhouston.com/
- Phone: 7133606313
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Olivier Ciesielski
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from L'Olivier Houston
L'Olivier Restaurant & Bar is a Modern French and American Bistro nestled in the eclectic mix of the Lower Westheimer/Montrose neighborhood and has fit into this scene by standing out. L'Olivier's patio is casual and playful, the bar elegant and refined, the dining room sumptuous yet modern.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
L'Olivier Houston - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Montrose ›
L'Olivier Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)special occasion (31)notable wine list (29)neighborhood gem (23)romantic (17)good for groups (16)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (7)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Paradis sur TerreReginaDined on 10/23/2014Every visit to L'Olivier Houston is perfect. I can't dine there enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMaxieDined on 10/22/2014Everything was great.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We had the five course tasting menu which I would highly recommend. The chef does a wonderful job of pairing different types of food not only on the entire menu but also on the plate itself. It allows you to explore the various tastes and textures of each dish while allowing you the flexibility to return to your own favorites. The lamb chops were absolutely sublime.Special Features:
- Faux Pas GourmandForkTenderDined on 10/1/2014I selected L'Olivier to celebrate my good friend's birthday. Service from the start was disappointing. Waiter acknowledgement took 15 minutes. We ordered champagne and a Sazerac. Waiter returns with two glasses of champagne. Food order was also botched. Ended up with two orders of the fried chicken and champagne special after a 30 minute wait. Complained about the pace of service and was comped smoked salmon and toast. Nice complement to fried chicken, right? Fried chicken was fried hard (a.k.a. burned) without any seasoning except for pepper. Was ready to leave after this, but waiter insisted we stay for the special birthday dessert--chocolate mousse on a decorated plate. Sad. Most of our meal was comped, but will not return.
- L'Olivier is a WinnerSethVIPDined on 9/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at L'Olivier. My wife loved her oysters, sourced from the Northeast, and mussels. My short rib was excellent. The apple tart for dessert was incomparable. If you enjoy champagne, they have one of the largest champagne lists in Houston. Thanks Chef Olivier for a memorable meal.Special Features:
- L'OlivierHappydinerDined on 9/20/2014We enjoyed our meal and ambiance at L'Olivier. Our servers jack and Tao were very knowledgeable with regards to the menu and wine list. The food presentation was beautifully executed. The chef's visit to the table to check on our meal with a quick chat was also an appreciated gesture. We will definitely return to sample the tasting menu.Special Features:
- Excellent and convenienthoustonfoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014An easy stop on the way downtown for culture vultures! Wonderful food especially the fish dishes and a strong wine list. Not at all noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak frites awesome!DoxielvrDined on 9/12/2014The steak frites was outstanding, the beef bourguignon excellent. the salad with buffalo mozzarella was very tasty but the figs promised in the salad were missing and no response when we asked about the figs. Apple tart and floating island very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindClaudeDined on 9/10/2014Understated. You'd hardly see it if you weren't looking for it. Any chef would be proud to serve this food. Duck confit done right. Not the gravy-laden grease mess I've had elsewhere. Moist, delicious, simple. Served with a side of beans in a jar with duck breast. Perfect scallops. Appetizers were tasty and well-presented; portions were modest. Desserts were creative. The apple one was the best. Quiet, sparsely-attended dining room. Classy decor with views--not sounds--of the kitchen thru glass. Service was OK. Not quite on par with the caliber of the food, but pleasant enough. The wine list was adequate. You'll find something you like, but you won't have too many pages to read. Prices were fair for the quality. I'd go back.Special Features:
- DeliciousJbobDined on 9/3/2014Great food and reasonable prices much better than George's bistroSpecial Features:
- AKAstridDined on 8/30/2014Excellent meal from start to finish! Great wine selection and wonderful service from out waiter Daniel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor quality food and worse serviceEatingHTownDined on 8/29/2014Dined at L'Olivier during Houston restaurant week. My girlfriends cocktail tasted like kitchen cleaner, the bread basket (which was a $2 add on to the set menu price- weird?) had 2 bread rocks and 1 decent roll. The pork was incinerated and had the taste of straight charcoal. Cheese course was not to our expectation - the Roquefort seemed to have been molded and reformed for some reason. Finally the desserts were impressive only because I did not think a waffle and ice cream could be bad. I was unfortunately wrong. Service throughout seemed clueless to the menu, confused when we wanted to order a single glass of one of the recommended wines instead of the full pairing and oblivious to our dislike of
- a great neighborhood French placeellabellaDined on 8/27/2014we dined during the restaurant week and surprisingly the place was pretty empty . The food was delicious and prepared with care , The watermelon gazpacho however was overpowered by tomato juice which I did not expect . The pork medallion were tender and flavourul. overall all our dishes were well prepared The service was very attentive , may be too attentive, I guess since we were the only other table We had to ask for the restaurant week menu twice before it was brought to us . I can understand why overall good experience and would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better every time we visitFrequentDinersVIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I have enjoyed lunch (once) and dinner (perhaps 5 times) since "discovering" this restaurant in May 2014 /-. As good as any in Houston but needs more exposure - at least is not too difficult to schedule a reservation so maybe keep it somewhat to ourselves. Great and broad menu, excellent wines. Well worth the cost but not overly expensive. Best features overall are the food quality and menu; and as good as any service/staff in Houston from opening the front door and a personal greeting to excellent table staff and followup/attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!girlfriendsdinearoundDined on 8/20/2014A very quaint spot and definitely neighborhood gem. The Beef Bourguignon was delish and the Terra Rosa Malbec paired by the chef took it over the top!Special Features:
- A fine French restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014I dined with a group of people and we all had a great time. They had many small dishes on the menu which gave us a chance to sample a wide variety of French cuisine. The chef even came out to explain several of the dishes to us and ended up staying at the table to chat with us for a while. That was a real treat. I would definitely go back there again, Much fun was had by all.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014O'livier is a fantastic experience for a special occasion or a casual night out with friends and family. O'livier is an award winning chef (and former Tony's chef) that best describes himself as a cook who loves food and making his guest experience sublime. Every meal I've had there, from the acclaimed fried chicken to classic bouillabaisse is flawlessly executed.Special Features:
- L'OlivierJW1221Dined on 8/16/2014There are some good food items at L'Olivier, but the restaurant suffers from poor service and training and uneven portion choices. We waited 40 minutes for ordered wine and asked for bread. I almost left then. The instant that we got wine, the kitchen service threw down our first course. The pate was good, but the two pate slabs were larger than the small amounts of toast and pickles. Second course was too big for me, but my wife's entre was tiny and our wine was served late. The waiter cleared her plate quickly, leaving me to dine alone -- poor training was evident. The dessert was good, floating island, but needed better execution. I prefer Etoile for both food and good service.Special Features:
- Excellent timeIrena007Dined on 8/15/2014We had a party of 10 for dinner on a Friday evening during Restaurant Weeks. We all enjoyed a cocktail at the bar while waiting everyone to arrive. The bartenders were friendly and the ambiance was bright and cheery. Perfect way to start the evening. During dinner, our waiter was very friendly, helpful with all of our questions, and patient while we all selected our food and drinks. The food was amazing. I had the smoked salmon, duck leg confit, Brie & Compte cheese course and the crème brûlée. I also opted for the wine pairings, which were all very good with the food. Everyone loved their meals and even with 4 courses, the portions were appropriately sized that we all managed to eat most of our food. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WillyDined on 8/13/2014Why have I taken so long to try this gem?! Will definitely return -- probably to experience an evening meal.Special Features:
- Uniquely GreatFuzzyVIPDined on 8/8/2014Have been wanting to go to L'Olivier for a while, but was cautious about the $$$ and fear of heavy creamy french food. Decided to go since they had a Houston Restaurant weeks menu. Restaurant is nicely decorated, and tasteful. Not over done and stuffy. After reviewing the menu, I decided I wanted to eat off the regular menu. The food was tasty yet subtle. Nothing over powering, but still an explosion of subtle flavor. The service was good. Our waiter was a bit edgy at first, but he warmed up. The Sommelier is just hands down fantastic. Not arrogant, and you can TRULY see his passion for wine and especially people. Watch this guy… he has trained with some huge Houston names, and is going to be a star. It was a great experience!Special Features:
- Great Awesome FindBoyzrusrDined on 8/8/2014Our food was Wonderful!! The steak tartare was the best I've ever had and the Branzino was amazing. Our waiter was very helpful knowledgeable and entertaining. I love the fact that you could hear without trouble and yet it seemed to be a happening place. We are planning to return soon with all of our friends. The prices were reasonable and the wine menu was smart.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceMarkDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I tried this place for Houston Restaurant Weeks and we really enjoyed our experience here. Had a drink and snack at the bar before dinner. Bartender was great and service spot on. Pate was amazing. Got seated and had really great service and delicious food (beef bourgignon and duck confit were excellent). The way in which the waiter (Eric) described the menu items made them sound even more appealing than the menu - he is talented. Overall a very pleasant experience which I would repeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnjadoreallerauxrestosDined on 8/8/2014After being seated and having checked the menu we sat, and sat, and sat, waiter never showed up. Finally we acted and he showed, but seemed spaced out! We placed order and it was brought out wrong, TWICE. Then one of us three found some kind of fabric thread in her steak salad. The extremely small beef gratin looked like the meat was pulled pork (what meat there was). It was also served with a side of salad greens, which should have been noted on the menu, we then would NOT have ordered a salad as a first course.Special Features:
- GREAT ANYTIMESuburbanGourmetDined on 8/5/2014We ate a very late lunch here, receiving attentive service and delicious food beautifully presented. Our wine choice was very good and at a reasonable price, and the gracious hospitality was appreciated. We plan a return visit.Special Features:
- Excellent fooddinerDined on 8/5/2014We went for for lunch during Restaurant Week and one of us had that menu. We both enjoyed our meals very much. The food has always been excellent. The last time we were there we could not talk to each other because it was so noisy but this time it was very pleasant. Our service was very friendly and professional but extremely slow considering we were eating at an off hour and there was not a crowd. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Slow Lunch ServiceCroissantDined on 8/5/2014I can't speak to the dinner experience or weekend experience but from my first time going to L'Olivier for a business lunch I would say avoid it on weekday lunches. The service was incredibly slow. It not only felt under-staffed but the actual staff were slow to attend to us. They were nice enough when speaking but they never once apologized for the long wait. We started eating our appetizers a full hour and 25 minutes after we sat down, and it wasn't because we ordered slow. It was nearly 2 full hours before our main courses were out. What was supposed to be an hour and a half business lunch turned into THREE hours. Great food. Slow, unapologetic service. Would love to try for dinner some time though.Special Features:
- Restraint WeekDissipointedDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I went to L'Olivier on Saturday night. I had the smoked shrimp and my wife had the pork both were excellent. We will definitely be retuning.Special Features:
- Fine Dinning in MontroseHolostoiVIPDined on 8/2/2014Everything from the greeting to the chef stopping by was great and made dinning here a true gem. The tasting menu options represents a great value and I highly recommend the wine paring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never FailsOut2LunchVIPDined on 7/30/2014Lovely Restaurant, fabulous food, the best service (Eric). What more can I say?Special Features:
- Raw Chicken NightmareUTexaslawyerVIPDined on 7/23/2014My best friend and I recently went to try out L'Olivier for the first time. In light of their recent praise in the Houston Chronicle, we accepted the very slow service as the staff there was very friendly. We tried a mix of items from the menu as well as several wines. Alas, we tried their infamous fried chicken. Unfortunately, the inside was raw. The owner, Olivier could have cared less. Overall, the rest if our meal was ok, but nowhere near worth the $225 we spent. (The apple tart was superb.) Clear your schedule, though because you may need every bit of the 3 hours it took us to dine on what was very mediocre cuisine. Chef Olivier needs some cooking lessons.
- Great raw bar at L'OlivierOpenTableDinerVIPDined on 7/16/2014We had some great food from the raw bar during this trip to L'Olivier. Loved the King Crab and the New Zealand Langoustine! The Royal Osetra Caviar was served nicely as was the Smoked Salmon. Loved the Cheese plate as well. The wine list is growing and we enjoyed our selection. L'Olivier is worth a try, if you haven't been.Special Features:
- World Cup Brunch1DestinyDined on 7/13/2014The Sunday fried chicken brunch was wonderful. Best fried chicken, best mac n' cheese, perfectly cooked green beans with just the right amount of garlic. Chef Olivier visited with us at our table; he is both personable and amusing. The waitstaff was friendly and helpful. We had a terrific dining experience and we look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As each and every time...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2014At L' Olivier a fantastic dining experience, always.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/28/2014Heard about this restaurant awhile back and finally made a reservation - so happy we did - everyone was very pleased with everything they ordered (to the point that you are saying to each other, "You have to try this!" and sharing all around) and the service was outstanding! Between the 4 of us we decided we would have to visit several more times in the very near future just to try all the items on the menu that intrigued us! The chef came out and visited all the tables which I always appreciate and felt was 'above & beyond' the already very attentive service. And, although it was a Saturday night we could all hear each other clearly which is soooo nice! We would highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 122 reviews are from the L'Olivier Houston reviews archive.
- First time to the restaurant.NicoleDined on 6/27/2014The starter salad and truffle ravioli appetizer were really good. I had the short ribs which came highly recommended by the waitstaff. I thought the rib meat had an overly strong flavor though. The potato cake that it came with was good. I wasn't excited about the shaved brussel sprouts or the risotto that we ordered as sides. The a la carte fish was disappointing - it lacked flavor. All of the seasoning was on the skin of the fish which we didn't want to eat. The nutella brownie melts in your mouth - very tasty. I would have preferred vanilla ice cream instead of the flavor that came on top of it, however. Overall good, just not amazing. The interior of the restaurant is lovely although I didn't find the chairs comfortable.Special Features:
- ImpeccableReginaDined on 6/26/2014No matter what day, no matter what meal, no matter who's working, every single visit to L'Olivier is a delightful experience, enhanced by carefully & artistically prepared dishes, and topped off by superb service. Comme si l'ensemble de l'univers existe dans un seul endroit!!!!Special Features:
- Outstandingbossgirl123Dined on 6/15/2014My husband and I are foodies, and the meal we had at L'Olivier was as fine as any we've had anywhere in the world. Highly recommend this wonderful restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Service EverslubieVIPDined on 6/15/2014The wrong dish was delivered to me by mistake and I didn't realize it until I had already tasted it. I was happy with the dish and told the waiter not to worry about it. Within minutes, the correct dish was delivered and the entire was table was able to sample the original order without charge. I really liked the mistaken dish better. However, I am totally impressed with a restaurant that has this level of concern with customer satisfaction. In fifty years of dining out, I have never experienced this before.Special Features:
- Always PerfectReginaDined on 5/30/2014L'Olivier never disappoints, and always delights. Every meal is a work of art!Special Features: