Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar
271 Dartmouth Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lolitaboston.com/
- Phone: 6173695609
- Hours of Operation:
7 Days a week, 5:00PM - 2:00AM
Full Menu served until 11:00PM
Late Night Menu served until 1:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Brian Roche
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night
A word from Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar
Located in Boston's pristine Back Bay, Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar is a bawdy neighborhood cantina serving playful interpretations of Mexican-inspired cuisine. With a selection of over 180 choice tequilas, Lolita offers guests a decadent Mexican experience. The dark, polished decor is lightened by notes of crimson and amber, presenting a vibrant and youthful ambiance fit for a night of revelry. Serving food & drink seven days a week until 2AM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (88)hot spot (86)good for groups (68)special occasion (52)late-night find (51)fit for foodies (42)romantic (42)neighborhood gem (38)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Muy Bueno!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014This was our second visit...after our first visit we knew we wanted to come back and share it with friends... great food, drinks, & our server was fantastic! The granita w/tequila to cleanse the palette & the pop rock cotton candy are nice touches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I want to go back every weekBkleinDined on 9/16/2014This place was amazing. Took our group for a work dinner and was not disappointed. The service was a tad slow, but not enough to annoy us. Corn bread- best I've ever had ( and I live in Georgia) Shrimp ajillo: jumbo shrimp packed with flavor Lime garlic chicken: cooked to perfection and full of labor- the aave Brussel sprouts were incredible Lastly, although the flavor was great for the cuatro leches, the cake was too dense. Definitely a cool touch with the cotton candy at the end! I would come back every week and have become a huge Lolita advocateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, active nightlifeLisaDined on 9/6/2014Love the food, everything is delicious! Drinks are spot on, which explains the noise factor. Loud at night, definitely a vibrant bar sceneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishJFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I were very impressed. We loved everything we ordered and we ordered alot! The service was lightning fast. We loved the extras...and I'm not going to say it and spoil the surprises that await newcomers. We had a great date night. My only complaint is that it was SO loud that I had a hard time talking to him. I wouldn't go back with another couple because I would struggle to communicate. It was fine for just the two of us.Special Features:
- Lolita reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014the food and ambiance were great. Service wasn't. I had called and pre-ordered a dessert to be brought with a candle since we went there to celebrate my husband's birthday. They forgot completely to bring in the dessert, and we just ended up not getting since I was waiting for his surprise and all that came was the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service great foodDREWVIPDined on 9/4/2014Loved the service from our waiter. He was cool, fun and best of all, knowledgeable. He steered us towards some adventurous offerings based on our likes in drinks and food and I ended up with a great tuna I wouldn't have otherwise gotten. If you haven't been you have to go.Special Features:
- Great Drinks!CubanfoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014Every time I visit Boston, always come here. Great specialty cocktails, tacos and guacamole. Love the dark ambiance and bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gimmicks that WorkNomBostonDined on 8/25/2014Lolita is a basement bar restaurant decked out like a dungeon. It's noisy and crowded for a Monday night, but the food was unexpectedly good. There's also salsa, chips, grapefruit amuse buche, and cotton candy complementary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it! Fun, good food & drinks!dmvcwdVIPDined on 8/20/2014This is an unexpected little gem! I thought it was going to be kitchy & average food... very happy to report that the food was very good, the atmosphere is fun, dark, romantic & goth! Highly recommend checking this place out, definitely great change of pace to boring dining venues. Starters: meat balls (w/mole sauce) & chorizo, both were great tasting. Trio of salsas are fantastic & a nice change from the typical one note you're offered at Mexican spots. Main selections: lime & garlic chicken and Crispy Pork, both were great tasting & we'd order again. Dessert: don't pass up the Chocolate BreadPudding option! It's more like a brownie with espresso ice-cream & hot fudge, not heavy just yummy! Margarita: our fave, go classic w/AVION tequilaSpecial Features:
- something differentJudyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Ambiance and design is unusual--dark and funky but kind of fun. Good service and my husband liked his chicken dish very much. My shredded pork tacos were ok, but nothing special. Love the surprise at the end of the meal!
- Mystery awaits..YumODined on 8/16/2014Sat night, my boyfriend&I were de-virginized by Lolita& it was an experience we'll seek again. Passing by this spot during the daytime leaves one curious as the door with Lolita above it is all you see.Is it a speak easy, does someone really like their name&, they named a store after it, but then you see the menu (at night, a bouncer)& you realize I have to see what this place is about. Definitely, make a reservation, the bar is small& not every patron will allow you space to yell a drink order&the bartenders don't necessarily see you 2or 3 rows back, you'll be thankful you secured a spot. Its dark&deliciously vampy inside, fair amount of non-dining lush spots to lounge in, noisy with a young professionals crowd, food tasty, tequila smooth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool SpotIsabellaVIPDined on 8/14/2014Brought some friends from out of town for dinner. The food is good, and decently priced. Has a cool Gothic Mexican Cantina vibe. We loved the grapefruit and dry ice pre dinner treat and post dinner green apple and pop rocks cotton candy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/12/2014Lolita's is a lot of fun! It is dark and eerie inside; red chandeliers and some creepy artwork. This adds to the ambiance. The drinks are fabulous; especially the Spicy Cucumber Margarita! The food is tasty too. Yummy chips and salsa. It is a fun place to go, although it is quite dark and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CupcakeWonkVIPDined on 8/9/2014Came here for my 26th Birthday - wonderful atmosphere and great service for a group of 6. Food was great with reasonable prices -- will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Romantic and DramaticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014We made reservations for Lolita for my birthday. The interior and atmosphere were fantastic. It's absolutely a romantic and dramatic place. The food is very good and I enjoyed the appetizer with the chips and house made salsas. The Brisket Tacos were really good and the Ginger Peach Sangria was the highlight of the night. Service was fine and quick. The only thing I didn't love was how small and cramped our table was. Other than that it was great and we will be going back!Special Features:
- Not Tex-Mex, but great foodcandice0128VIPDined on 8/3/2014We're from Texas now living in the Boston area, so we are always looking for some great Tex-Mex. While Lolita, is not Tex-Mex, it had some great flavors and great food. We got the blackened shrimp queso for an app. It came out piping out & was absolutely delicious. We also order some margaritas, which were great too. The ambiance is also great. Kinda dark, but bright at the same time. We will definitely keep Lolita on our list of places to come back too!Special Features:
- The missing reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/30/2014I had booked a table for twelve 6 weeks in advance yet, amazingly, when I arrived, they had no record of it. Finally, when I showed them my Open Table confirmation, they said they would try to help us out. To their credit, they accommodated us, but it wasn't "oh, I'm so sorry for our mistake" attitude I would have expected. All this considered, the food and drink are good here, in a boisterous, subterranean setting.
- Moody, not your typical RestaurantprettynotbadDined on 7/29/2014My girlfriend and I both enjoyed our time spent at Lolita. The ambiance of the restaurant and bar was interesting and added a bit of excitement. We were pleased to not see the typical sombrero and disheveled look of a Tex-Mex place, but more of a risque approach to design. The reason to come here was definitely the mojitos (soooooo good). The food was good, we both enjoyed the salmon dish I ordered, but the soupy vertical nachos left much to be desired (though if one enjoys queso dip this might not be so bad). We definitely enjoyed all the little touches that made our dining experience great.Special Features:
- fun, tasty, great drink selection!ksgshmoopsVIPDined on 7/28/2014Great late night spot! Went in for a 1045 reservation with a party of 4, and even though there was a little miscommunication and slow start, our server Justin noticed the issues without anything being said, and he was quick to make sure we were all happy and well accommodated. The drinks are really fantastic, and the food is really fun, always hits the spot. Try the corn! It's delicious! For drinks the White Lie and the strawberry rhubarb concoction are out of this world. We all left really happy and excited to come back. Thanks Justin for really taking care of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican with a flaresmithan2VIPDined on 7/28/2014GREAT food and drinks.. wish we saved room for dessert, but the cotton candy with pop rocks at the end was a fun twist.. brought back childhood memories. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Loved it.nansea1956Dined on 7/26/2014We fully enjoyed our evening at Lolitas. Had to make reservations well in advance, so expectations were high. Chips and salsa(s) were delicious, spicy to really spicy, something for everyone. Ordered their triple guacamole which was great, crabmeat, bacon on guac - who knew! Dinners were delicious, crispy carnitas were just that, crispy on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside. Just the right amount of spice. Overall the dinner was great, the only negatives was that we were not all that comfortable - the restaurant was warm, A/C was not adequate, plus our party of 5 was put at a table for 4, so there wasn't much elbow room. Overall, very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience and atmosphereMRV1Dined on 7/23/2014Lolita's was a great choice for a date night dinner, a vibrant atmosphere with plenty of lounge areas and impressive decor and styling. The good was delicious and reasonably priced and the complimentary offerings like the granita, chips and salsa, and cotton candy with tattoos made for a fun and unique experience. The service was average but nothing to complain about. I would highly recommend Lolita's!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican Food DefinedFoodCapoDined on 7/20/2014Along with the atmosphere and amazing drinks, the food will seduce you into coming back. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner TreatIsabellaVIPDined on 7/19/2014Organized a dinner here for a friends birthday. Its just such a cool restaurant. The food and drinks were great. The girls from out of town just loved the decor and also the apple flavored cotton candy dessert! I know we will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find...My2CentsVIPDined on 7/15/2014You may miss this low key gem if you walk by too quickly. But when you enter a few steps down to this off the street eatery, you will be amazed. A little "dark and mysterious" decor that send offs a cool vibe. The "smoking" melon pallete cleanser with a shot of tequilla is a great way to start the meal (and the night). Salsa and chips were amazing and the guacomole assortment was out of this world. The speciality drinks and sangria are top notch. Tacos were fantastic. The post dinner cotton candy was a playful touch to the experience. Would definitely recommend and would return.Special Features:
- SamiDined on 7/15/2014It was a little annoying that I couldn't be sat until the other person in my party arrived. He was parking the car and we were trying to catch a movie and I was going to order for us while he looked for parking. So be aware of that. The food and cocktails were great. Our server looked as if she had come from the beach and threw a black jacket on for work, while the other employees were all dressed in back, catchy outfits, however her service was great, she had great energy about her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $7 Tacos...?TS52VIPDined on 7/14/2014Lolita's was good, and it is good for a group because of the $7 tacos on Monday. However, it is not all you can eat for $7--they charge every time they bring more out, so that was somewhat deceiving. Still, the food was fresh and flavorful. The sangria could use some work, and they didn't have the ceviche the evening we went. But it was definitely an amazing night out with friends, and I would go back to explore more of the menu!Special Features:
- lots of fun!bosdinerDined on 7/13/2014Fun atmosphere...great chips...cool vibe...friendly.Special Features:
- Fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014Fun place in the Back Bay area! Great selection of tequila as well as cocktails. The chips and different salsas to try we're great. I had the quinoa salad with chicken and it was delicious! Couldn't believe I found that in the menu! At the end of the meal, they have you an enormous cotton candy to share. Loved the decor inside, sexy and gothic vibe, with low lightening. Went there with a friend to catch up and it was hard to have a conversation since it was pretty loud in there. Overall a pretty fun place. Preferred the bar over a table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very unique!HappyDinerDined on 7/10/2014I tried going to Lolita once without a reservation and wasn't disappointed to learn at the door that there was a 1 hour wait. This time, I remembered to make a reservation ahead of time. I made my reservation through open table the night before and managed to snag a 2-person table for 6:30! We sat to the side, pretty close to the bar but my friend and I had enough space to really catch up. Drinks and food were amazing! I LOVED the shaved ice palette cleanser in the beginning and the cotton candy at the end! It's so unique and different from other restaurants. I'm definitely coming back again and bringing all my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos galoreTonyDined on 7/7/2014Can't beat $7 all-you-can eat taco special! Great date night out.Special Features:
- SeatingLycheeMartiniDined on 7/2/2014The restaurant should make it known that patrients are not seated until entire party shows up - even when the table is reserved.Special Features:
- Fabulous!RoseDined on 7/2/2014This was out first time eating dinner here. Just have been for drinks before. We had a great time. Sangria is the BEST! Food was very delicious. We had great service and a great time. It's very fun to go here. They give you cotton candy and tattoos to end your fun experience. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite placesAmandaDined on 6/30/2014I frequent Lolita's and have always had a good experience. Food and drinks are great. As for our server this time, not the greatest I've had. Some of my party thought she was somewhat rude or not as knowledgeable about the menu and it was their first time here. I'll still go back, though, since I enjoy the ambience and everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy but a great spot for drinks.FintileDined on 6/29/2014Ive seen places very similar in San Diego come and go. Dark ambiance, one note lighting and Vegas dance club music over the speakers. Although here in Boston I think it works. It has a very dark new age vampire den feel to it. Like Queen of the Damned meets Blade. I feel its just too red. Food was decent. They used soft flour tortillas for the tacos and they felt like they just pulled them out of a bag, placed the filling in and had it sit a couple minutes under the heat lamp. However poor the taco shell was the filling was great. Had both the Mahi and the Garlic steak tacos.Service was attentive and the margaritas were killer! 1 pitcher of the Diablo and you're mouth is on fire! All in all I'd go back and this time finish the cotton candy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot! Hot! Hot!SageDined on 6/29/2014Great food, great drink and great atmosphere! The 3 different kinds of guacamole are yummy. The special drink list is awesome! You'll keep coming back to try them all! Cumber is my favorite! I had the shrimp this time and was not disappointed. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTomJohnDined on 6/27/2014We love this place! Great drinks, food and atmosphere! Love the cotton candy too! One of the mist places ti fine in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and great drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/17/2014Everyone was so nice to us from making a reservation, to seating us early and being patient w/a late comer in our group. The frozen flavored ice at the begining of our dinning experience was a nice touch. The food was very good. The drinks were perfect. The cotton candy at the end was a throw back to our childhood. It was a great night out.Special Features:
- OriginalDutchieDined on 6/16/2014This restaurant was like no other Mexican experience. From the dry ice tequilla slushie to the cotton candy wih the bill- I was blown away with this restaurant's originality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough callbackbayfoodieVIPDined on 6/15/2014Food was absolutely delicious (brisket tacos, shrimp queso, margaritas), prices reasonable and service was outstanding. So what's the problem? Well, you have to see it to understand fully, but it's located in a dark basement, no windows, with red and black patterned wall paper, "clubby" music and red crystal chandeliers. I can only describe it as feeling like a dungeon with a strange, gothy ambience. If that weren't enough, as you leave you can see photos of "Lolita," as the hostess described her, a young model with creepy makeup resembling a cross between a Tim Burton movie and Heath Ledger's Joker. I'm not sure why, but the whole thing was a little unsettling. If you're adventurous, give it a try, but don't bring kids.Special Features: