1904 W North Ave
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
Bucktown / Wicker Park
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lokalchicago.com/
- Phone: 7739048113x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm -11:00pm
Brunch: Friday: 11:00am - 3:30pm, Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Art Wnorowski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: DJs after 10:00 PM
Wednesdays - House Music
Thursdays - Old School Hip-Hop / R&B
Fridays - Top 40
Saturdays - Party Jams
- Special Events: Birth Day, Rehearsal Dinner, Special Occasions, etc
A word from Lokal
This European-flecked neighborhood restaurant gets the urban vibe going with its stylish interior dressed in square tables, white molded chairs, and large canvases of modern art. The lounge area hosts guest DJs who pump up the volume when the lights go down, augmenting the retro feel. At LOKaL, lunch and dinner offer wholly different experiences, but each is worthy on its own. Brunches include: Duck Confit Benedict, Braised Pork Belly, French Omelets; while the dinner menu is more complex (showcasing the likes of NY Steak with truffle fries and apple slaw, Pork Tenderloin with potato pancake and mushroom cream or Goat Cheese Risotto with confit tomatoes, sweet peas and butternuts squash) . LOKaL is lauded for its fresh, first-rate ingredients often supplied by local farmers including Gunthrrop Farm, Nichols Farm, AquaTerra Farms and others.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Lokal reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (21)neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (10)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Great BrunchGoodEats2Dined on 10/19/2014Great brunch place. We enjoyed the Leek Bacon and Cheddar scramble and the Pork Belly and eggs. We also had "for dessert" the Nutella Frites which was amazing! Would definitely recommend and go back! Our waiter offered use refills on our Mimosas and Bloodys with no questions...Special Features:
- Casual Night outcherylDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter was excellent as was the food. Portions were not gigantic but just right. My husband ordered the cod with curried cauliflower which was super and I had the pirogi which were even better than the home made ones my mom makes. The food & beverage prices were reasonable. The restaurant was loud but every seat was filled. We'd definitely return.Special Features:
- Great dinner experienceWindyCityWoman34Dined on 10/11/2014I decided to try out Lokal for the first time as a place to take a friend for their birthday dinner and we were not disappointed. We had the steak tartar for an appetizer and it was delicious. For our main meals, I ordered the goat cheese risotto and my friend had the seafood pasta. We both really enjoyed our dishes (he cleaned his plate while I had plenty left over to take home). Our waiter was very helpful in terms of recommending drinks and dishes, and he gave us just the right amount of attention. I will definitely be going back there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food on a very busy day!KGeatsChicagoDined on 9/14/2014I went after the Bucktown 5k with a group of six. We were early and were able to seated about 30 mins early than out reservation. The hostess/server was very accommodating. The food was a hot with our group but by the end the service was a bit forgetful. I would try it again - it seems that was an off day with the crowds form the race.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014service was slow, but expected for a busy brunch. HOWEVER, when one in our group tried to order another drink and after a half hour asked where her drink was..... the 'manager'? who came over (wasnt the server/bartender/or kitchen staff that had helped us prior..... came over being rude and had a ridiculously snarky tone while apologizing because OBVIOUSLY THEY WEREN'T BUSY AT ALL. we were very polite and understanding while we waited almost a half hour for our food, and when one of the orders were wrong and we waited another 15 minutes for the correct dish to come out. it ruined the vibe for our group. other than the rude guy, everything else was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Love the bottomless mimosa & nutella frites! Good food and good music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch!SarahDined on 8/16/2014Came with two friends for a late brunch on Saturday. The service was slow at first, but once our server came over to take our order, she couldn't have been nicer. The food was really good - highlight for me was the truffle fries we shared for the table! Bottomless brunch drinks are a really good deal -- nice, strong mimosas and bloody Marys, can't beat the price. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Bottomless Mimosas & Breakfast FoodOccasionalDinerDined on 8/9/2014This is a nice restaurant for brunch. The food is good and they have bottomless mimosa and Bloody Mary's as along as you are eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceKatieADined on 7/20/2014They were totally slammed but took great care of us. Everyone enjoyed their meals. It was a little hard to hear my tablemates because the restaurant was so loud, but those bottomless mimosas can't be beat!Special Features:
- Stay awayEjisimsDined on 7/20/2014My girlfriend and I went for Sunday brunch and got bottomless mimosas and had to keep asking if they were bottomless because no one would fill our drinks up. The servers seemed extremely lost and confused about any way to run a restaurant. Also, it was so incredibly loud in there that We had to tell at eachother during the entire meal and when we left, we both had massive headaches. I ALWAYS tip at least 15%, but this was the first time in my life I left absolutely no tip. We also waited an extra 25 minutes for our check when we were trying to leave for a meeting. Rude, careless, ignorant service has reached an all time high at Lokal. I feel bad for the older floor manager lady that was there helping customers. She was the only one trying.
- Arrive TogetherOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014Their policy is to wait to seat a party until everyone is at the restaurant. A good policy and equitably enforced, but may make dining difficult for larger parties. Best to have everyone arrive together.Special Features:
- Hidden gemLichterDined on 7/12/2014I have been to Lokal a few times and keep coming back for the great food. I will admit that it doesn't look like much based on the outside, lack of design, and odd bathrooms but the food is delicious and the service is typically pretty solid.Special Features:
- long wait for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014We waited over 2 hours for our food on a Thursday night. Our waiter informed us that they only have one cook on Thursdays - it wasn't busy when we got there - it did fill up a bit but it wasn't crazy. Our waiter gave us whiskey shots due to the wait, comped a bottled of wine (per our request) and gave us a discount on the bill. The food was great but I was a bit too tipsy to drink it...doubt I'll be back.Special Features:
- The following 33 reviews are from the Lokal reviews archive.
- Ignored and forgottenFudi86Dined on 6/8/2014From the moment we got sat we waited 5 min just to get glasses for the pitcher of water that was in front of us. This set the pace for the entire dining experience. I should have known then that we were going to be given terrible service. Being someone that works in this industry it hurts me to spot out all the these things that went wrong. The server was not knowledgeable of the menu when he was told of an allergy at the table. There were moments of 5-8 mins that our drinks were empty without being asked for a refreshment. The food for our party was dropped a plate at a time with increments of time getting longer between drop. Starting with 3 min up to 12 min. No acknowledgement from the server/manager till I spoke of the issue to the host
- Bottomless bruchmavilasDined on 6/1/2014The Bottomless mimosa is only $7! I had the Duck Confit Benedict and it was delicious. My friends and I shared bites of our meal and all of there choices were equaling good: Steak & Eggs, Grilled Chicken Breast sandwich. The pricing was acceptable for the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite brunch spotZzzzDined on 5/31/2014I've been to Lokal a handful of times and I have loved every experience so far. The bottomless mimosas are an excellent price and the food is delicious. Each time I try to get something different and I haven't been disappointed yet. They add a yummy twist to everything. Each time someone visits me in Chicago and we plan to go to brunch I take them to Lokal and they also have great things to say.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blaring 90s music at brunch? Sure.MorganVIPDined on 5/18/2014The food and service was pretty good. It's located in a great area and close to the L. This is the place for you if you're an 80s child that loves 90s music :) it's like your at a club while eating brunch! Fun atmosphere. Bottomless mimosas etc during brunch :)Special Features:
- Good Brunchhut52Dined on 5/18/2014Good place for a different brunch menu. I had the scallop benedict and it was really good. Also, good for the bottomless mimosas.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchNataliejuneDined on 5/18/2014When my party of three and I first arrived there was a lot of confusion near the front due to an absence of a host. We were seated, but had to request our table to be wiped down. We were a caraf in to the bottomless mimosas until our waitress took our order. I had asked for no muffin due to a gluten allergy. However, I was served a muffin and my friends breakfast was forgotten all together. When it was finally brought to him it was not the correct order and had to be returned. The food is delicious, but either more or better staffing is needed. I love the restaurant and will come back. It was just an unfortunate experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch around!ColeDined on 5/17/2014Went for brunch with a group of 8. Was concerned about service and what not with such a big group. But that wasn't the case at all. We got seated on time and our server was great! Food was amazing and the bottomless mimosas were a hit! Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastydredreDined on 5/11/2014We went here for Mother's Day based on a recommendation and it didn't disappoint! The portion sizes were great and everything was fresh and tasty! They have in limited blood Mary's and mimosas for $10, be warned.... The bloody Mary's are a little spicy but have a nice smoky flavor to them. I would recommend this place and I personally will make the trip from the burbs to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a MotherBirthdayManDined on 5/11/2014My mother had a great time. That is all that matters to me today. Thank you for helping me make a special morning for her.Special Features:
- MarieDined on 5/3/2014Very good food but the portions were quite small. The menu is very reasonable, but some items (like the ahit tuna burger and portabello sandwich) definitely need side dishes. The service was quite slow, taking a long time on simple drinks and not bringing all drinks at once. The kitchen however was very prompt with our food, which was delicious. The daily specials also seem to be very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Loved the brunch! Fantastic sandwich and unbeatable prices on the mimosa deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, HospitalityreunionDined on 4/12/2014Came with a party of six women with disparate tastes in food and alcohol. Found incredible dishes and drinks for everyone. Because of the amazing service and spot on recommendations, everyone managed to try something new - and love it! We woke up talking about the food the next day - particularly the pork tenderloin with bacon maple potatoes, the goat cheese risotto and the butternut squash pierogies. Loved the Ginsky and Imbir. I'm a gin and wine woman, but left with a new appreciation for vodka. Looking forward to trying other creative cocktails.Special Features:
- I thought the restaurant wasOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/6/2014I thought the restaurant was very loud for such a small space. They also seem unprepared for the day - no cream for coffee and no celery for the never ending bloody Mary's.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall our first experienceChrisDined on 3/16/2014Overall our first experience was not great. The food was good but our service was not. We got bottomless mimosas and had to keep prompting and repromptimg for refills. We also had to ask for the check 4 times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night Dinner SpecialLichterDined on 3/8/2014I was referred to Lokal by a friend and took a date there on a Saturday night. Lokal has a Saturday night date special that is one app, two entrees, and a dessert for $39 as of this writing. Everything worked out well there and the two entrees (salmon burger and sirloin) were both excellent. Our dessert was the low point of the meal with rock hard frozen strawberries in a mousse. The server seemed busy (I think he was making us our drinks as well as serving food) but he was attentive when he was around. The noise level was a bit high but we were able to hold a conversation just fine. I would go back to Lokal to try out other items on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best around…..ChrisseyBabeDined on 3/1/2014Awesome restaurant. Great date night atmosphere with delicious comfort food just like my mother used to make. Service was outstanding, too. My husband and I were very pleased and will visit again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't bother making a reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2014Came in for brunch with a reservation for a large group - they would not seat us until our entire party arrived even though we assured them our tardy guests were on their way (and come they did!). There was nobody else waiting to be seated and there were only two empty tables large enough for our party, so I don't understand why they wouldn't seat us -- would they have given up the table we reserved had a similarly large party walked in without a reservation? Why make a reservation anyway?
- Good food, bad serviceCms33Dined on 2/23/2014I went to Lokal for brunch with a friend. We both ordered the salmon Benedict and shared the French toast. All slices of the French toast weren't cooked through but I enjoyed the Benedict so I didn't send the FT back. My issue came with the wait staff. For the last 30 minutes of our meal, 3 different wait staff opened and closed the windows next to us. We sat next to the window so it was really hot with the sun beaming in. We politely asked twice to keep one window open. The 1st waiter said it was fine so long as the others were closed. The 2nd waiter said no and closed that window but opened another. Then the 3rd waiter came over and rudely told us that another customer's complaint was more important than our preference. Won't be returning
- I came here for brunch onOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2014I came here for brunch on a Sunday. The brunch food menu was really good. However, it is a small place, I felt rushed to leave my table soon because they were starting to get a lot of groups wanting to do brunch. The $7 bottomless mimosa was so not worth it. Ive been to places where they keep them coming without asking so I was highly dissappointed.Special Features:
- Delightful DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014We went to Lokal on a Saturday night at 6pm - table of 10! It was our first time there and it was fun. The menu is small - but everything on it is unique - we had fish and chips, burgers, pasta - and much more. Everyone cleaned their plates! The waitress was excellent, attentive and funny too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely return for brunchShaneDined on 2/9/2014girlfriend and I made an 11:30 reservation the morning of and good thing we did. They were on an hour wait when we arrived. We waited only 10 minutes before we were sat. The $7 mimosas and $9 bloodies are an AWESOME deal, and they come with ample alcohol. Love that they bring a mini carafe of mimosas to the table when you order so you can refill at your leisure. Bloodies are pretty tall and I'd be shocked if you could down more than 2 in one sitting. Food was great. I had the pork belly and poached egg dish, YUM. The pork belly wasn't overdressed or seasoned, it had a nice charred/BBQ-ish flavor that was succulent and tender. Couldn't get enough of that. Only qualm was that food actually came out TOO fast, leaving little time to relaxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great restaurant!FoodieDoodieDined on 2/1/2014Thank you opentable for recommending this restaurant. Great food, great drinks, attentive waitstaff. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchJesLDined on 1/25/2014We had brunch around 2:15; most of the brunch scene had cleared out by that point. We had the Pork Belly & Eggs, the Duck Confit, the Leeks Bacon Cheddar Scramble, and an order of French Toast to share. The scramble was amazing - I often forget how delicious leeks are, but clearly the chef here hasn't! The pork belly and duck confit also went over very, very well. The french toast was quite good, but not especially notable -- it was lovely to split, but there are more interesting items to order as your main dish. Our party also got the bottomless mimosas and bloody marys, and they were not stingy with either - although we did occasionally wish they'd refill just a little faster! But we'd wish that no matter how fast they brought them...Special Features:
- Not Good for GroupsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/19/2014Food was delicious. I had a party of 12 that decreased to 6. Your entire has to be there in order to be seated, if not you will be waiting an hour or more....Special Features:
- Rush Rush RushTysonDined on 1/19/2014Service was poor and rushed the entire time. Poor management of "bottomless" mimosas and Bloody Mary options for brunch. Wasn't offered additional drink, then told "no" when asked for ONE refill of a mimosa. Food was average. Got cold fast. Nothing special or unique.
- Great for brunch. Had a groupcaugusDined on 1/11/2014Great for brunch. Had a group of 6 and were allowed to sit and chat. Food was excellent. great brunch and bottomless mimosas.Special Features:
- Perfect place for brunchlynnaDined on 1/11/2014Can't say enough fantastic things about Lokal. Found it going through Yelp and seeking bottomless mimosas. Great prices, food was amazing. We started with the Banana and nutella frites. Honestly, we thought it was going to be fries with nutella and bananas on it. But it was even better!! It was a Nutella and banana sandwich fried with fresh strawberries on top and whipped cream. AHHHMAAZZING. I then got the Shrimp salad and my friend got the chicken sandwich. Both meals were delicious and the mimosas…well we had about 3 small carafes.. so good! 100% recommend going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.