208 West 70th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
GreekPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.loirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2128758600x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Friday open 5:00PM-11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Maria Loi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We offer three private dining rooms, accommodating 6 to 50 guests. we can also reserve the entire restaurant for up to 500 guests for events such as bar/bat mitzvahs, weddings, movie premieres and company holiday events. Please contact us directly for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Loi Restaurant 2128758600
A word from Loi
“Loi will offer an original twist to Greek dining for brunch, lunch, cocktails and dinner,” says Maria Loi, who was recently appointed the International Ambassador of Greek Gastronomy for the renowned Chef’s Club of Greece. “The restaurant will share many of the Loi family recipes to traditional Greek dining, which have been passed down from my great grandmother. Loi is about real food, cooked with Greek olive oil and using authentic and fresh ingredients. It is about healthy and delicious dining that brings family and friends together.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Loi reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (16)romantic (14)good for groups (12)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- No show by the restaurantWestSideJVIPDined on 7/1/2014Restaurant closed!!! Sign on door. Still on Open Table. Cafe Luxembourg to the rescue.
- first visit, but there will be moreBetsyknitVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food, the service were both wonderful on a recent saturday night. We ate octopus and eggplant appetizers, followed by lamb, eggplant moussaka, mussels. Everything was lovely, including the owner/chef, who came to visit.Special Features:
- Loi TestaurantRB14Dined on 6/25/2014Simply an outstanding geniune Greek experience. Food is to die for. Appetizers are fab - notably must have grilled squid. Followed by the Greek chopped salad, entrée we shared to try a good mix. Desserts were great - love the tog art with honey. Most important is the chef, Maria Loi. What a host!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choice!RidgeJDined on 6/22/2014My family and I went with my kids. Maria, the chef/owner could not have been more gracious and friendly. She immediately approached the kids, gave us our own private room which was amazing and spectacular service. They don't have a kids menu but there are enough choices where I could find food for the kids to eat.we had a great time and the food and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At Last Expectations ExceededCWrightVIPDined on 6/20/2014This was by far the best dinning experience we have had in the last 10 months. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted great. The lamb melted in my mouth, the grouper not only perfectly cooked by so flavorful. Maria Loi, knows what she is doing, and that she personally visits each table is just a bonus. We even got a tour of the kitchen. This is a must and one of the few places we will return to over and over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Home-style GreekFasitaVIPDined on 6/20/2014Loi is like an extension of my kitchen, only no clean up! Maria Loi's Greek cuisine is delicious and healthy. True Greek food is inherently simple Mediterranean flavors. Perfect fish and octopus all year round. The vegetables vary from dandelion all the way to escarole always green always enliven by lemon and the finest Greek olive oil produced by people the chef knows. Lamb comes three different ways: grilled, baked,ground. Chops, roasted baby lamb, ribs, gyro and of course in moussaka. Impossible to tire of this. But, if like me you are eating there once a week ask for a dish of the Greek peppers from the jar in the kitchen. The small slender pale green pickled peppers will brighten up your mouth in an exciting way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK but overpriced and disappointingwarygaryDined on 6/15/2014It's a nice space and not very noisy, which was great. The food was OK, not really special and not worth the higher prices than restaurants of comparable quality. Service was a bit uneven. We had at least 3 servers, and they each asked us questions that we had already answered to another one. A couple of the menu items, when we asked, were described as "the same thing".
- If only the food were great...criticVIPDined on 6/15/2014At Loi we enjoyed extraordinarily warm service; we were treated like family. If only the food matched the feeling. Not that it was all bad—complimentary corn crackers and yoghurt dip that began the meal were addictive. The octopus was very good, and the salt-baked fish for two was excellent. However, the arugula salad was under-dressed and tough. The same unattractive greens appeared as a bed under undistinguished roasted beets. A side of sauteed wild greens was overcooked and unpleasant. Moussaka and orzo with seafood were pleasant, but below the quality of top Greek restaurants. Rice pudding, a daily special served warm, was gloppy and unworthy of a good diner. Loi needs to turn its attention back to food. Personality goes only so far.Special Features:
- Hellenic hotspotFasitaVIPDined on 6/12/2014Loi's nearly Lincoln center location makes it a gathering spot for broadcasters and locals alike. Delicious healthy Greek food and gracious spacing between the tables make an ideal atmosphere for eating and visiting. Beautiful private dining rooms are ideal for both the discreet business dinner and intimate party. I gravitate to a table by the window where I never tire of the delicious Bronzino (lavraki) romaine & feta salad and moussaka. Best of all, is leaving with something for breakfast. spinach pie heats up a dream with an egg or two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The experience at LoiupperwestreviewerVIPDined on 6/10/2014Simply perfect. The food, the service, the ambiance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- brilliant findellenNDined on 6/10/2014try the Octopus - its the best in the States! The Marouli salad was to die for. And don't forget the YOGURT - nothing can match!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceCecileDined on 6/8/2014The food was delicious and the staff very polite and the place is beautiful. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perennial FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/8/2014I am in New York often and never leave without a trip to Loi. It is an expansive space, with intimate corners and welcoming to children. The food is superlative - the beauty and healthfulness of the ingredients are center stage in every dish. I love stopping by after theater (as do many stars of motion picture and stage) for late night dining and conversation. On my last visit, I heard one American icon of Broadway theater tell Maria Loi, the proprietor, that she changed the Upper West Side neighborhood for the better. Beautiful food, loving service, relaxing ambience - this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loi an Upper Westside Gem!GurmetguiderDined on 6/7/2014If you want excellent food and and service in an upscale setting where you can carry on a real conversation, look no further. We have eaten here several times and Loi is consistent in its delivery. Seafood and lamb are just what you would expect from a terrific Greek restaurant. There are some excellent wines for reasonable prices and if you are unfamiliar with the list, just ask the sommelier. All of this for a very fair price.Special Features:
- If you love Greece, you'll love LoiDbprinceDined on 6/7/2014Attentive service and elegant surroundings reminiscent of Greece augmented delicious and very fresh fish and fine Greek wine to make our first meal at Loi a memorable one. They get all the details right. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigredVIPDined on 6/7/2014So sorry to see this great restaurant close. Maria is fabulous chef and hands on management .will look to see where she relocates great menu choices so well preparedSpecial Features:
- excellentMikeVIPDined on 6/4/2014Always great food and the service is the best. Top notch. They make u feel like Ur the only people thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1031 reviews are from the Loi reviews archive.
- Upscale neighborhood restaurantluv2cookVIPDined on 5/31/2014Always feel welcome with good food and pleasant surroundings.Special Features:
- A great place for a get togetherGalinaVIPDined on 5/30/2014I've been here many times and the food is reliably delicious. I'm a fish and veggies person and the Greek take on these brings new excitement. Another plus is the fact that unlike a lot of other restaurants of this caliber the serving portion is actually enough to make one feel like one got something for the price one paid! What I like especially is the way the chef walks around and meets everyone and a noise level that makes conversation possible! Try it, you'll like it.Special Features:
- Locals love LoiFasitaVIPDined on 5/29/2014We continue to love Loi. The modern Greek food is terrific. I appreciate the fact that Loi is really two restaurants in one. A more casual feeling in the front where I have staked out a window table. The back with white table cloths and tuxedoed servers is quiet and perfect for a romantic, business or large group for dinner. The Lavaraki is superb no matter what table you sit at.Loi inspires real loyalty and rewards its guests with consistently delicious food and warm hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichaelDined on 5/24/2014Food was good. Service was good. Roka salad was very disappointing at $14-15.00. Least expensive glass of wine was too high at $14.00.Special Features:
- Loi - great Greek in NYCRonAVIPDined on 5/21/2014Loi provides excellent Greek cuisine, the real deal. Maria Loi somehow is able to serve a full house without any undue waiting times, reservations are always honored, staff is friendly and professional. This restaurant has brought the West Side up a few notches!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Sublime!AnnaDined on 5/18/2014In one word: EXQUISITE! Maria's food is incomparable!The ambiance is beautiful, simple and elegant,the music is great! You will probably have the chance to meet the chef herself,Maria is always there, and will make sure you have an amazing time.She really makes it feel like home, no wonder she has a huge crowd of regulars who love going back every day! The Greek salad is one of the best in New York, the fish is incredible, the lamb is crazy good, and my personal favorite: the steak!Large selection of wines and cocktails, and don't forget to have taste the the baclava and the ekmek! The Greek yogurt is honestly the best I've had!Special Features:
- Simply the bestAmarnelDined on 5/17/2014Loi is the best greek restaurant, hands down, in Nyc. When the chef that can prepare fresh delicious food that rivals the food your grandmother, mom or aunts made - its a HIT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good delicious but serviceDinerDined on 5/17/2014Unfortunately we only had 45 minutes to eat. I told the waiter as soon as we sat down he said that was fine. But.... It took 15 minutes to get our drinks and our appetizers came first and I told the waiter we could get all our food together . But we got our dinner. 45 minutes later so we are fastSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful wonderfulBobreitanoDined on 5/16/2014What I require when I dine out is simple, a fine environment and a great bar and special food. Loi is one of the few oases in New York where other diners are not on your elbows and one can hear oneself think and talk. But that is only step one. The bar is generous and skilled. That is step two. Then comes the food. Specifics are meaningless because you may not order the lamb or the salmon. But it is all special with a Greek accent that is special and authentic and vibrant. Dessert? Well, save a lot of room. We both ordered twice and would have gone for thirds if reason hadn't conquered basic urges. I love this restaurant. Oh and the waitstaff is gracious and attentive and invisible. Perfect!Special Features:
- Great find in UWSupperwestreviewerVIPDined on 5/15/2014It's easy to miss this Greek restaurant, because it's not on a busy street and has a discrete facade, but feels like a great find! THeir menu includes healthy and refined options and they were very welcoming. The owner, Maria Loi, was there and came over to say hello. As we were talking, she explained that they only use olive oil instead of butter in their food and that they never fry anything, which I thought was kind of cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLeighEllenDined on 5/14/2014Took my friend for dinner the other night for pretheatre and it was amazing. We had the salmon tartar and the perfectly cooked scallops topped with lamb bacon. The grouper was out favorite entree. Not only was the food delicious, but they were very timely getting us out for our show. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blessed quietlisaeatsDined on 5/13/2014It's so rare to find a restaurant where you can hear your dining companions. Good food, too. And the decor is very attractive, elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly GreekJaydineDined on 5/11/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our Mother's Day luncheon here. Service was superb and lamb kabobs from our special menu were amazing. Lovely ambience, including enough quiet for conversation.Special Features:
- Quiet, elegant, great food, serviceFrankBeachamDined on 5/9/2014Loi was recommended by a musician friend as having great food and being a quiet restaurant so you could each other talk. It was both, with excellent service and ambience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- deceived and exploitedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/8/2014We were very disappointed in our dinner at Loi last night. The staff was terribly disorganized. Some were disheveled. We asked to see the wine list waiter said " I am your wine list". We were totally confused. He had no idea about how to serve wine. There were many other untrained staff who didn't know what to do. The waiter must have asked us about 4 times in a few minutes what we wanted to order. Four meals we selected were not available. Our meals were tasteless, soupy and unappetizing. Since this was a dinner to celebrate a birthday, friends of ours ordered special desserts for us but we were led to believe this was complementary. The food was tasteless, the service was laughable but the prices were as high as ever. We felt deceived.
- Florida fan clubJupiter001Dined on 5/8/2014We never miss a dinner at Loi when we're in New York. Maria always comes to the table to chat which makes us feel very welcome. The sald is the crispiest Greek salad in New York and who could miss her baklava for dessert?Special Features:
- So so and foreverdinerdivaDined on 5/3/2014If you are disparate to try a mediocre Greek restaurant, go here. Soup was yucky and crab cakes not worth the calories. Simple grilled fish was fine, lemony and olive oil. Our server came to the table once. The most attentive person was the water server. No one took a drink order. No one filled the bread basket. Meal took a very long time. We were comped dessert and a glass of wine, neither of which I could partake. Why bother?
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2014We've been there before and this time was disappointed. There were many servers of all kinds walking around, but it was more than 10 minutes before someone asked about drinks. We got our drinks and waited for a server, but finally had to call someone over (not the waiter who was supposed to be ours) to finally take our order. We were in the restaurant at 6:30 and it was well after 7 before we got anything to eat. The fish I had was very good, but the two others had the lamb dish, which they found colorless and ordinary. Your prices are high enough to expect excellent service and food.
- LoilcdinerVIPDined on 5/3/2014Great for pre-Lincoln Center dinner. We told them what time we wanted to be out, and they timed it just right. My only complaint was a weak latte - the food was delicious and beautifully served.I would recommend this to a friend.
- An authentic Greek restauranttherealSteveZissou1Dined on 5/2/2014The food is terrific, the service is superb and the waiters very knowledelable. The wine list includes a number of excellent Greek wines that are fairly priced. And Ms. Loi is always there to ensure that every diner is pleased.Special Features:
- delicious and great servicestssVIPDined on 5/1/2014I love this place, so glad we found it--the eggplant slippers appetizer is the best!Special Features:
- Fantastic Food -- Love Maria!!foodieDined on 4/29/2014I absolutely love this restaurant. I've been here a million times and it just gets better. The food is fantastic and the service is truly exceptionally friendly. I always have the best time there. I would definitely recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time at Loi!LoiFanVIPDined on 4/27/2014I've been to Loi many times and always have a great time. The food and service are both excellent - it's one of the best restaurants on the upper West Side. If you are the neighborhood and want experience fine dining, skip Cafe Luxembourg and give Loi a try!Special Features: