Logan - An American Restaurant
115 W. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Logan - An American Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://logan-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 7343272312
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Thad Gillies
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our space is available for rent for parties up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Ryan 7343272312
A word from Logan - An American Restaurant
LOGAN- An American Restaurant opened in November 2004, with a commitment to providing Ann Arbor a unique and truly sensational dining experience. We are a small, independently owned and operated business. As such, we feel we can be attentive to the small details that separate great restaurants from the rest. For example, Chef-Owner Thad Gillies and his staff prepare from scratch each day the culinary components that are the base of everything we do. When they combine these elements for your dining pleasure, they transcend the French cooking techniques used to create them, in fact, they also transcend the many culinary traditions our kitchen draws from to create our “New American Cuisine”. Great food alone does not make a great dining experience, though; we feel that great wine, beer, and spirits are an essential part of that experience, as well. We are seek to offer you the very best of all of these we can obtain, always with a focus on excellent value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Logan - An American Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Logan - An American Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)special occasion (95)notable wine list (73)romantic (57)neighborhood gem (36)hot spot (17)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (7)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Amazing Foodfoodsnob1Dined on 10/22/2014Not only did we have a spectacular meal, but the bartender created a hot toddy to take the chill off that was incredible. We got the 5 course chef meal and were not disappointed. I highly recommend Logan.Special Features:
- 5 star foodmargeDined on 10/17/2014The food at Logan's is five star. My mole sauce was as good as any I've had in Mexico . The pork chop special was mouth-watering and innovative. The wine list is extensive although pricey. They have a nice selection of wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Great food and wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Menu variety was good. All of our party choose a different selection from the menu. All the food tasted great with excellent presentation. Wine selection was also good. I hope that Logan's is very successful and can expand out of their small store front location. I would call it intimate but not romantic now.Special Features:
- MooseDined on 10/10/2014The wait staff was outstanding, food was excellent! Wine list impressive! A bit noisy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food and great peopleTacitusDined on 10/10/2014The food is incredibly creative, the service is first rate, you are treated as a friend, the wine list is excellent, an effort is made to find interesting wines at a reasonable cost. There is no better food--delicate flavors and original recipes. Something new every time.Special Features:
- niborVIPDined on 10/9/2014Delicious meal......unusual specials and wonderful ingredients.....can't wait yo go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Logan's for dinneralkmaar90Dined on 10/9/2014First time at Logan's. The food, the staff and the drinks were all great. The staff really likes their job and that makes the whole encounter better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectluv2dineDined on 10/4/2014My favorite restaurant in Ann Arbor. The service is fantastic, the food matches the service, and the prices are high, but absolutely worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/4/2014Logan has become a favorite spot to dine when we are visiting our daughter in Ann Arbor. The kitchen takes fresh food and does wonderful things with it. The scallops were outstanding, as was the salmon. The perch was a bit disappointing--tasty and tender but more than "lightly breaded" for this quality of restaurant. Service could not have been friendlier or more efficient. Overall, dining at Logan is never boring to the taste and is really quite delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, overpricedAllieDined on 10/4/2014Seemed a bit expensive and unnecessarily pretentious ("The chef asks that you order your appetizer at the same time as the meal"), but the food was very delicious. The salmon appetizer, although delicious, came with just two very small rolled pieces of salmon, so that was disappointing. However, the meals were generously sized and very tasty. I got the Moroccan Hen, which was seasoned with a perfect blend of Moroccan spices, and my husband got the lamb, which was also seasoned perfectly. The sides were good, too. We also splurged on dessert and coffee. The pear fritters were well worth it, but neither one of us could taste the bacon in the "bacon-pistachio" ice cream. Overall, very good food, but I don't think I'd return for the price.Special Features:
- Third time not a charmDrewinA2Dined on 10/4/2014We've dined at Logan twice before and had sublime meals and excellent service. This time we went for an anniversary dinner and the service was disappointing from the start. The server didn't introduce herself and acted like she was doing us a favor. Her timing was off the entire evening. We sat with empty glasses for 10-15 minutes twice while looking for our server so we could order more wine. We had to ask her. She never offered. The food didn't have it's usual spark. The ceviche and crab and avocado were ho-hum. The lamb was good but the perch tempura was soggy and blah. We've had better perch in dive bars up north. It's disappointing when you pay high prices for so-so food and bad service, especially when it's been so much better before.Special Features:
- Is Logan slipping?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014Logan used to be my favorite restaurant in A2: great food and service. I was disappointed during my last visit, when we had very below average service. The server was very unfriendly (seemed annoyed to have to serve us, actually) and had gross, chipping-off nail polish (hope it doesn't land in my food!). Worse, I was surprised to see they hadn't changed their menu in a long time; we hadn't visited in well over a year and it seemed nearly identical. Two patrons said the pork tenderloin was very good. The pasta with asparagus was ok. Overall, I'm sorry to say this is no longer my favorite spot, having become a run-of-the-mill A2 restaurant that meets the status quo, rather than exceeding it.Special Features:
- Great food, great experienceAlmaVIPDined on 10/3/2014So delighted to have finally dined at Logan, it most definitively lived up to our expectations. Service was superb, the food delicious, and the cocktail menu was fun and inventive. I have a few favorite restaurants in Ann Arbor and I try to get to them all every time I visit; after this meal, I'll most definitively add Logan to my list.Special Features:
- best fine dining for any occasionBethVIPDined on 9/30/2014Our dinner visit was 6:30pm on a Tuesday evening. Reservations are a must, as the 7 and 7:30pm slots were full. Service is outstanding, full bar with mixologist, amazing wine list, but the food is an experience that demands your attention and leaves you looking forward to your next visit. Simply exceptional and has been consistently for 12 years.Special Features:
- Delicious anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Very good service, wonderful food and romantic atmosphere. Perfect date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperiencefinedinerDined on 9/26/2014An excellent restaurant to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overdone lambPaigeReaderDined on 9/20/2014Very knowledgeable sommelier. Excellent crab-avocado starter. However, my sliced leg of lamb was over-cooked. I asked for medium rare, but the meat was gray. The server was apologetic and brought me another plate, but that overdone lamb never should have left the kitchen. There's no way whoever sliced it didn't see it was over-cooked, and even the server said he "wondered" about it when he put it on the table. (??) I was given a discount on my meal, which was very thoughtful. Ponzu cauliflower: disappointing -- soggy. Pear fritter: nothing special. The flavor of the diced pears in sauce was odd and detracted from the dish. Too much ponzu on menu. Should offer other salad dressing options. Too much fennel pollen on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably DelightfulGuest411Dined on 9/19/2014Logan is one of our "go-to" restaurants. We can always rely on the food and the service being top-notch and we especially love sitting at the bar, where we can interact with some of the staff. Mark and Kevin always make excellent recommendations! The decor is a bit blah and dated, but the food is consistently delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulHungryGirlDined on 9/18/2014Great evening, as usual. I asked for a special table because of my husband's birthday and we were seated at the window. Excellent wine - and they helped us choose something to fit our tastes. Dinner was superb - creative, well seasoned, and delicious. The lamb was very tender. Ann Arbor is so fortunate to have Logan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Ann Arbor's Best RestaurantsBethDined on 9/12/2014Our party of six enjoyed a wonderful evening at Logan. The food was excellent, especially the duck breast special. The wait staff was friendly and attentive. We will definitely be returning the next time we're in town.Special Features:
- reliablerickVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had an excellent meal at Logan. The food was well prepared, (a great amuse bouche) the wine advice was excellent, the wine choices were very good-unusual and reasonably priced-and the service was attentive but not hovering. The menu does not change items very often so we space our return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointingHappytodineDined on 9/6/2014Although the food was good, it was a bit on the pricey side. My glass of wine was quite expensive and a very small pour. A gentlemen, possibly the owner?, made his rounds to many of the tables servicing them, however, did not make it to our table to even ask how our meal was. Will we return? No sure.Special Features:
- Special Occasion venuewendellDined on 9/3/2014Oustanding wine list and scrumpcious scallop dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for something differentthomps97VIPDined on 8/29/2014Chefs use wonderful combinations of ingredients, and there is plenty of variety of menu items, from red meat to vegetarian. We had the tasting menu, and the chefs were able to adapt it for a gluten free diet. The wine pairings were interesting; reasonably valued, and gave us a chance to try things that we might not taste normally. Kevin, the sommelier, is enthusiastic and appears to love this sort of thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Logan never disappoints, as usual it was my best meal in Ann Arbor. My wife had wild boar bolognese, which was delicious as usual. I had the shrimp, which included the best mole sauce I've ever had. Don't pass this place up, it is truly a special experience.Special Features:
- Ann Arbor hot spotCrossgrovesVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great menu and location but wine list overly pricey. Arrive early to find parking space in busy downtown area.Special Features:
- Awesome in Ann ArborSHUjavDined on 8/23/2014Logan was a perfect spot to go foodie in Ann Arbor. Must have tasting menu and go all in with the wine pairings. Those that eat at Logan will be champions.Special Features:
- ParkCityLocalVIPDined on 8/23/2014Simply the best chef in Ann Arbor! Reserve early since they are busy...the secret is out!Special Features:
- Best in MichiganBGoldDined on 8/23/2014I think this is now my favorite restaurant in Michigan. Have had 2 meals there, spaced about a year apart. I was thrilled by the first one and not at all disappointed by the second one. Ezquisite food in an understated, elegant setting.Special Features:
- Perfect 50th Anniverary CelebrationSLuckeyDined on 8/19/2014In looking for a special place to take my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary, I came across Logan - An American Restaurant. The menu looked unique and interesting, but what really caught my attention was the 5 course chef menu with the wine pairing. I thought this would be perfect for my parents, and was I right! Our table of four (my parents, my spouse and I), had an elegant, exciting, educational, and thoroughly enjoyable evening tasting delicious food with perfect wine pairings. My parents were delighted with their special night. Thank you Logan, for making my parent's celebration so special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent experiencejackDined on 8/15/2014Although Logan's has been in town for a while, this was our first visit...which engenders the question "what took you so long. The atmosphere is almost austere. The staff very professional and courteous. And the menu was full of great choices. Every course, for all 4 of us, was original and excellent. I thought the price, given the originality and quality of the food, was very fair and competitive with Ann Arbor's burgeoning restaurant scene. We will be back and not just for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Excellent Experience!Foodie2TimeDined on 8/14/2014I had never been to Logan before and decided to try it for a special occasion with my son. We both enjoy good food and wine, so we tried the Chef's special 5 course meal. Each course was paired with a wine of their choosing that complimented the food. The courses was thoughtfully prepared, elegantly presented and absolutely delicious! The wine selections were also superb. We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Excellent as always!DaveDined on 8/14/2014We had 2 appetizers, the Ceviche and the Avocado-Crab with Ponzu sauce. Both were excellent. For entrees, a seared Mahi-Mahi dish and an off-menu special, Duck Breast with roasted radishes, were our choices. The flavors and platings were spectacular. Dessert was a Pear Fritter with vanilla bean ice cream, which we shared. In summary, our evening exceeded our high expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteSrf41VIPDined on 8/13/2014Always a wonderful meal. Do try the Tasting Menu and Wine Pairing it is always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishBobbiDined on 8/13/2014Wonderful New York strips...wine and beef reduction sauce. Potatoes, corn salad and Logan salad with fried garlic chips, all good.Special Features:
- Always greatOTuserVIPDined on 8/13/2014Logan is expensive, but the food is always superb and the wine list is excellent. Service is knowledgeable, and the atmosphere is quiet and elegant, good for conversation.Special Features:
- Off night?mikeyDined on 8/12/2014This was the 3rd time we have eaten at Logan. The first two, in 2013, were exceptionally good meals, and we were looking forward to the same. However, the only item we ordered that night that could be called "exceptional" was the rice pudding. Much of the food either lacked flavour, and/or seemed to be an experimental pairing of ingredients that did not go very well together. Drinks, service, and environment were all very good to excellent, but the food just wasn't up to par that night. Given the cost of eating at this restaurant, having average-tasting (or weird-flavoured) food is really not acceptable. Hope to return someday for another try, but we'll wait until the menu changes substantially.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceVIPDined on 8/9/2014over priced. There are other places in town with comparable food and wine or better that are less costly.
- Good Food/Fair ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2014I love the food at Logan. If you are a foodie and you enjoy tasting new/current trends this is the place for you. Chef Thad is very creative in the kitchen and is always coming up with new and unique dishes. I must recommend the salmon. It's one of the best I've ever had! The only issue I had on my most recent trip to Logan was the service. Usually I have a wonderful server who is very knowledgeable and caring. Unfortunately, my most recent visit was not the same. She was very lackluster and inattentive. It was like we were a bother to her and she really didn't pay much attention to us. We had to go to the extreme of flagging down another server just to get bread. I also wanted a refill on my wine, but she never asked. Boo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful localOceanluDined on 8/6/2014My son and I who are avid cooks came here on a recommendation. We could not have been happier. Intricate, well thought out dishes beautifully cooked and presented. Staff had very good suggestions and great wine pairings.Special Features: