Logan - An American Restaurant
115 W. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Logan - An American Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://logan-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 7343272312
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Thad Gillies
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our space is available for rent for parties up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Ryan 7343272312
A word from Logan - An American Restaurant
LOGAN- An American Restaurant opened in November 2004, with a commitment to providing Ann Arbor a unique and truly sensational dining experience. We are a small, independently owned and operated business. As such, we feel we can be attentive to the small details that separate great restaurants from the rest. For example, Chef-Owner Thad Gillies and his staff prepare from scratch each day the culinary components that are the base of everything we do. When they combine these elements for your dining pleasure, they transcend the French cooking techniques used to create them, in fact, they also transcend the many culinary traditions our kitchen draws from to create our “New American Cuisine”. Great food alone does not make a great dining experience, though; we feel that great wine, beer, and spirits are an essential part of that experience, as well. We are seek to offer you the very best of all of these we can obtain, always with a focus on excellent value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Logan - An American Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Logan - An American Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (106)fit for foodies (104)notable wine list (72)romantic (68)neighborhood gem (33)hot spot (14)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- One of Ann Arbor's Best RestaurantsBethDined on 9/12/2014Our party of six enjoyed a wonderful evening at Logan. The food was excellent, especially the duck breast special. The wait staff was friendly and attentive. We will definitely be returning the next time we're in town.Special Features:
- reliablerickVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had an excellent meal at Logan. The food was well prepared, (a great amuse bouche) the wine advice was excellent, the wine choices were very good-unusual and reasonably priced-and the service was attentive but not hovering. The menu does not change items very often so we space our return visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointingHappytodineDined on 9/6/2014Although the food was good, it was a bit on the pricey side. My glass of wine was quite expensive and a very small pour. A gentlemen, possibly the owner?, made his rounds to many of the tables servicing them, however, did not make it to our table to even ask how our meal was. Will we return? No sure.Special Features:
- Special Occasion venuewendellDined on 9/3/2014Oustanding wine list and scrumpcious scallop dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for something differentthomps97VIPDined on 8/29/2014Chefs use wonderful combinations of ingredients, and there is plenty of variety of menu items, from red meat to vegetarian. We had the tasting menu, and the chefs were able to adapt it for a gluten free diet. The wine pairings were interesting; reasonably valued, and gave us a chance to try things that we might not taste normally. Kevin, the sommelier, is enthusiastic and appears to love this sort of thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Logan never disappoints, as usual it was my best meal in Ann Arbor. My wife had wild boar bolognese, which was delicious as usual. I had the shrimp, which included the best mole sauce I've ever had. Don't pass this place up, it is truly a special experience.Special Features:
- Ann Arbor hot spotCrossgrovesVIPDined on 8/26/2014Great menu and location but wine list overly pricey. Arrive early to find parking space in busy downtown area.Special Features:
- Awesome in Ann ArborSHUjavDined on 8/23/2014Logan was a perfect spot to go foodie in Ann Arbor. Must have tasting menu and go all in with the wine pairings. Those that eat at Logan will be champions.Special Features:
- ParkCityLocalVIPDined on 8/23/2014Simply the best chef in Ann Arbor! Reserve early since they are busy...the secret is out!Special Features:
- Best in MichiganBGoldDined on 8/23/2014I think this is now my favorite restaurant in Michigan. Have had 2 meals there, spaced about a year apart. I was thrilled by the first one and not at all disappointed by the second one. Ezquisite food in an understated, elegant setting.Special Features:
- Perfect 50th Anniverary CelebrationSLuckeyDined on 8/19/2014In looking for a special place to take my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary, I came across Logan - An American Restaurant. The menu looked unique and interesting, but what really caught my attention was the 5 course chef menu with the wine pairing. I thought this would be perfect for my parents, and was I right! Our table of four (my parents, my spouse and I), had an elegant, exciting, educational, and thoroughly enjoyable evening tasting delicious food with perfect wine pairings. My parents were delighted with their special night. Thank you Logan, for making my parent's celebration so special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent experiencejackDined on 8/15/2014Although Logan's has been in town for a while, this was our first visit...which engenders the question "what took you so long. The atmosphere is almost austere. The staff very professional and courteous. And the menu was full of great choices. Every course, for all 4 of us, was original and excellent. I thought the price, given the originality and quality of the food, was very fair and competitive with Ann Arbor's burgeoning restaurant scene. We will be back and not just for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Excellent Experience!Foodie2TimeDined on 8/14/2014I had never been to Logan before and decided to try it for a special occasion with my son. We both enjoy good food and wine, so we tried the Chef's special 5 course meal. Each course was paired with a wine of their choosing that complimented the food. The courses was thoughtfully prepared, elegantly presented and absolutely delicious! The wine selections were also superb. We would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Excellent as always!DaveDined on 8/14/2014We had 2 appetizers, the Ceviche and the Avocado-Crab with Ponzu sauce. Both were excellent. For entrees, a seared Mahi-Mahi dish and an off-menu special, Duck Breast with roasted radishes, were our choices. The flavors and platings were spectacular. Dessert was a Pear Fritter with vanilla bean ice cream, which we shared. In summary, our evening exceeded our high expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteSrf41VIPDined on 8/13/2014Always a wonderful meal. Do try the Tasting Menu and Wine Pairing it is always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishBobbiDined on 8/13/2014Wonderful New York strips...wine and beef reduction sauce. Potatoes, corn salad and Logan salad with fried garlic chips, all good.Special Features:
- Always greatOTuserDined on 8/13/2014Logan is expensive, but the food is always superb and the wine list is excellent. Service is knowledgeable, and the atmosphere is quiet and elegant, good for conversation.Special Features:
- Off night?mikeyDined on 8/12/2014This was the 3rd time we have eaten at Logan. The first two, in 2013, were exceptionally good meals, and we were looking forward to the same. However, the only item we ordered that night that could be called "exceptional" was the rice pudding. Much of the food either lacked flavour, and/or seemed to be an experimental pairing of ingredients that did not go very well together. Drinks, service, and environment were all very good to excellent, but the food just wasn't up to par that night. Given the cost of eating at this restaurant, having average-tasting (or weird-flavoured) food is really not acceptable. Hope to return someday for another try, but we'll wait until the menu changes substantially.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperienceVIPDined on 8/9/2014over priced. There are other places in town with comparable food and wine or better that are less costly.
- Wonderful localOceanluDined on 8/6/2014My son and I who are avid cooks came here on a recommendation. We could not have been happier. Intricate, well thought out dishes beautifully cooked and presented. Staff had very good suggestions and great wine pairings.Special Features:
- Nothing special.FetaLovingGreekGuyDined on 8/2/2014This was the restaurant I was most looking forward to and most disappointed with during our trip to Ann Arbor. The fennel salad came warm as if sitting out and the garlic chips on the Logan salad tasted like burnt bitter kettle chips. The gnocchi were giant and very heavy. My partners stomach was upset after eating then. The pork tenderloin (best thing of the night) was cooked perfectly but then sliced making it dry by the time we received it. Service I guess you could call it that. Was good when our waitress was around but she kept disappearing for long periods of time.
- Tasty meal, nice service at LoganThanksDined on 8/1/2014We had dinner at Logan (for the first time) on a busy Friday night and it was a great experience. Menu was varied (lots of fish/seafood), but I hade the lamb and my husband had pasta. Both were delicious, filling, nicely presented, and graciously served. The drink selections and wine were great too. Nice spot for a "treat" or special occasionSpecial Features:
- AwesomeMyDearWesleyVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had a chance to go back to Logan for a small celebration. The food was great as expected. The short ribs and cheese grits were out of this world. Kevin, the sommelier, once again demonstrated his skill by bringing us a wine that went well with entrees including scallops and short ribs. Logan gets my vote as the best restaurant in Ann Arbor, and it is one of my favorites anywhere in the countrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting dishesBellalunaDined on 7/29/2014First visit. Split pot stickers. A little crispy but very tasty. Nice sauce. I had the duck confit. Very tender and delicious. Loved the presentation and accompaniments. Hubby had the Thai scallops, house specialty. As everyone has said, they are beautiful and delicious with great sauce and best mashed potatoes we've ever tasted. We enjoyed meal and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Expereince!AwesomeBrunchBuffetDined on 7/26/2014Great date night restaurant, with great romantic ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceA2foodguyDined on 7/26/2014As usual great food and service. The southern fried grits appetizer and pork tenderloin entree were amazing. The fried perch entree was heavily breaded but still tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Love Love LoganBethVIPDined on 7/25/2014Always excellent food, drink and service. Even with all the other restaurant options, Logan is still head and shoulders above the others in quality and service. Reservations are necessary, so book early as they book up.Special Features:
- Something specialKathyWDined on 7/24/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at Logan! Managed to get a table by the window - which we loved! The food and drinks were superb. Next time, we'd like to try to the Chef's special 5 course meal.Special Features:
- Still ImpressiveGR8FoodDined on 7/12/2014This is our second visit to Logan to celebrate a birthday. Food very distinctive as well as tasty. Noticed this time that the space was a bit tight for my taste, but understandable given the space limitations in downtown Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014The food and service were impeccable. The sommelier's expertise took the meal to another level. It was really fun to tell him what we were having and to let him surprise us!! He was spot on every time, and we learned new things as well. Wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/10/2014We had another great evening at Logan. Kevin introduced us to an amazing wine from Sicily and the food, as always, was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoganTheBigCDined on 7/10/2014Great service topped only by the food. Meal was very nicely paced even though we were there early prior to a cowd and could easily have been raced through a meal. Not the case at all. Interesting menu. Solid wine selection. Gourmet but unpretentious. Loved ever minute we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sure BetLuckyGirl55Dined on 7/10/2014When coming up to Ann Arbor for a concert, it is hard for my husband and me to choose a restaurant other than Logan ... even though there are so many enjoyable restaurants in AA. Every visit to the Logan -- now numbering 6 or so -- has been an absolute delight. Food ... service ... wine guidance -- all superb. We especially like turning friends on to this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/9/2014Logan consistently delivers great quality food and outstanding wine selections. Kevin is superb at picking a wine off the list that complements the food, matches our palate yet takes us out of our usual comfort zone. Appreciate the adventure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerBR01Dined on 7/5/2014This past weekend I took my family to dinner at Logan. We had two outstanding appetizers followed by 4 outstanding meals. I found the menu to be quite interesting with many options to select from. What was so notable about the meal was the manner in which all the flavors in my meal complimented one another. The entrées were well thought out. I was also extremely impressed by the wine selections. Although we did not get a bottle on that particular occasion, our daughter had a mixed drink that she really liked while my wife had a glass of pinot noir that was quite good. We then shared two desserts that were both quite delectable. An excellent first experience at Logan. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very lovelyHennyDined on 6/28/2014Good food. The chef is trying some innovations. The flavor combinations are interesting. Not everything works but most does.
- Always a favorite spotcrabbydadDined on 6/28/2014We travel from East Lansing to dine at Logan frequently because the food is great, the wine list is spectacular and the vibe is great. It's a big city restaurant in a little town. We always have a great experience at Logan.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014Excellent food, wine and service. We will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week bonusKermitKDined on 6/26/2014Went to Logan for the first time during restaurant week. We had an amazing experience: every morsel of food we had was absolutely delectable! Wish they would have included a dessert on the RW menu, but the bread pudding was totally worth the splurge. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost greatTomHDined on 6/25/2014Logan has been and remains one of our favorites. While still enjoyable, this experience didn't quite measure up to previous meals. Our server seemed less upbeat, the temperature was too warm and the meal, while very good, just couldn't overcome the rest of the experience. I chalk it up to the pace of restaurant week and won't let it affect plans to return to this terrific restaurant.Special Features: