Loft Bar and Bistro
90 S. Second St
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Loft Bar and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.loftbarandbistro.com/
- Phone: 4082910677
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 11:00am - 1:30am, Sunday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Adrian J. Mullen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Loft has catering available in the direct vicinity of the restaurant. We create custom menus specifically tailored to your theme or needs. We can either perform full service or we can drop-off. For drop-offs we can also do set-up and break-down with a service charge. Lease refer to our banquet menus to give you an idea of what we offer. Bear in mind some of our banquet dishes are not available for offsite catering. Pricing is determined by what type of function you are hosting.
- Entertainment: Loft has live entertainment and DJs at scheduled times. They are available to hire for any special event (wedding reception, holiday party, birthday parties, etc).
Our brainstormer pub quiz is a lot of fun with prizes for the winners. Our jazz night is a wonderful way to relax. The DJs play a variety of music to listen or dance to.
We also have 3 HD TVs to observe sporting events.
Tuesday: 7:00pm: brainstormer pub-quiz
Thursday: live jazz: 7:00pm to 10:00pm, 10:15pm to close dj & dancing;
Friday: 10:30pm to close: DJ and dancing;
Saturday: 10:30pm to close: DJ and dancing;
- Special Events: Loft Happy Hour
Everyday Monday-Friday 3PM to 7PM
- Cross Street: San Fernando
- Public Transit: Lightrail runs in front of Loft, exit at Santa Clara Station on 1st St. or 2nd St.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are many places to park within walking distance from us. The surface parking lots that are closest to us, City Park, do not except any validations. The closest parking lot that we validate for is Pavilion Garage, just past 2nd St. and San Fernando on your right. Safeway also has there own garage, bewteen 2nd St and 3rd, but you must get validation from Safeway. We also validate for the multi-level garage between 2nd and 3rd on San Carlos and 4th St garage on San Fernando.
A word from Loft Bar and Bistro
Loft is American bistro dining at it's finest in a chic, relaxed atmosphere. We serve lunch and dinner daily with an added brunch menu for Sundays. We have a wonderful assortment of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, steaks, seafood, pastas with something for everyone on the menu. Some of our signature dishes include crispy calamari, carpaccio, roast artichoke, NY steak, meatloaf;etc. Loft's wine list feature California wines that pair well with all our cuisine. Our spacious bars are stocked with premium liquors, specialty cocktails, signature martinis and mojitos. Our restaurant is located in the heart of downtown in close proximity to the convention center and all the major hotels.Continued
Loft is available for private parties, corporate events, meetings, dinners, luncheons, with seating up to 250.All dining areas can be reserved privately or the entire restaurant for a buyout.
Loft is available for private parties, corporate events, meetings, dinners, luncheons, with seating up to 250.All dining areas can be reserved privately or the entire restaurant for a buyout.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Loft Bar and Bistro - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Loft Bar and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (14)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (7)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (5)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (3)special occasion (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Cute place, would try again.LittlePuffyDined on 8/28/2014ItWe went for an early dinner before a show. Super cute ambiance with lots of exposed brick and historic charm. Cant speak to how vibrant the bar scene is, it was pretty quiet at 5:00. My chicken salad was just okay -I'd give it a 2 or 3 - my daughters give the vegetarian pasta and vegeterian stir-fry each a 4. Service was good until the food was served, then got scarce.. I'm sure there are probably great things on the menu if you know what to order. I would give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!!!ERuizDined on 8/24/2014Loved it. I love that the Loft is just a few feet away from the Improve, for the before and after drinks and food. Great FoodSpecial Features:
- Wish food was as good as servicevanillajlaDined on 8/22/2014We have been to capers in Campbell and didn't think the food was worth the price. We had a gift certificate to this sister restaurant chAin and decided to check out loft. The food is the same, sub par. I have no desire to back to either restaurant.Special Features:
- District aOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014A group of 14 had dinner on Saturday night and it was wonderful from all points of view. Our reservation was for 6:30 and we were seated right away. The service and food were excellent. (They even helped me find a plug for my dying cell phone). I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- melsjDined on 7/15/2014The food was delicious, and the service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Bad choice. Incompetent waitstaff.Geon490Dined on 6/29/2014We had two people handling our selections, and between the two they could not bring us the correct items. They tried hard to please, but were not able to get the job done. Also, all the pork items on the menu were unavailable do to poor kitchen estimation of the demand over the weekend. Finally, they refused to honor the complementary dessert item that is advertised at their website as a Sunday only special; obviously we were there on a Sunday.
- Nothing excitingkikiDined on 6/27/2014Food was OK. Just conveniently located near the SJ improv and better than eating at the improv...Special Features:
- Anniversary LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014We went for a late lunch as part of celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. It was quiet, but the service was wonderful; our server took great care of us. Marvelous food! Nice, low key dining experience. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Disappointing but still have hopeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014We've been long fans of capers and have eaten at the loft several times. We went after my daughters graduation with a group of 9. The ambiance was not pleasurable. Our table was downstairs, not in the loft and it was loud, uncomfortably close, and the service was sub par. Drinks were slow... Our food timing was fine but we had also wanted wine with dinner and it was so slow it wasted the attempt to eat hot food with wine. A real disappointment on a special evening. The food is good so we may go back but never again with a larger group or if we want attentive service. Our table was a mess from lack of attention. Empty glasses, empty bread plates, water glasses empty from not being refilled.I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was okm7heinesDined on 5/17/2014for lack of a better description it was old school food. everything was ok. albeit a little pricey for ok.
- The following 412 reviews are from the Loft Bar and Bistro reviews archive.
- Girls nightSigrunnDined on 4/4/2014A great restaurant to bring friends and the significant other, we both enjoy seafood and my scallops was cooked to perfection. I asked them to replace the rice for steamed vegetable and they did. I've been to this restaurant a dozen time and will be back very soon!Special Features:
- Food was grate also was theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014Food was grate also was the service Nice place for a happy hour or dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't ever sit outside-st level!SprocketteVIPDined on 3/9/2014Food was quite good as long as you didn't order from the happy hour menu. Don't EVER sit outside at street level. We were accosted by aggressive panhandler who honestly scared me and had me hoping he didn't have a gun. Service was ok, not great. They have great potential but poor execution. Hope they improve!
- Mixed BagcheapoYromanticoDined on 2/28/2014Pros: Service excellent. Most food items were delicious: Prawn with Avocado Cocktail, Low-Carb Tri-Tip, the Pork xxxx (forgot which dish- it was the one with the sauce). Cons: Dressing on my salad was oily. I ate half of it. Wasn't going to complain, but when the server asked how it was, I told her - and she offered to get another! No, thanks. Then she took it off the bill! A good move, because...for dessert I ordered the Cherries a la Gran Marnier. There were no cherries, but raspberries, and the creamy sauce had NO flavor of Gran Marnier. Disappointing, especially as it was the most expensive dessert on the menu. I should have asked to have it removed or replaced, but we had a show to get to. Oh- my black coffee was lukewarm.
- AverageBennylynnDined on 2/15/2014The menu was pretty basic. The food was fine and the service was fine. Nothing to return for and nothing bad. I am sure there are much more interesting choices nearby.Special Features:
- Good Food Fair AmbienceDaveBDined on 2/15/2014Had dinner at the Loft before a play at the San Jose Rep theatre allowing plenty of time before the show started. We told the waiter/bar tender we were not in a hurry still with appetizer, soup and entrée we were done in an hour, which is a bit fast for us however someone else might like that. Seating needs a lot of improvement, we were elbow to elbow with the people sitting next to us which was uncomfortable for them as well as us. The woman next to us commented that she had to be careful not to drink our water to give you an idea how close we were. Overall the food is very good but the layout of the place needs a lot of work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very badOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/201430 min wait and even with reservations . Poor service and menu for valentines was mediocre and food was cold.
- no foodeat2liveDined on 2/14/2014we had a reservation at 8, and were seated in a few minutes, and some time later got some water, and sometime later someone came to take our order. And that was it. Finally, at 9:30 pm, and with little hope of getting any food in the near future, we had to leave. On the plus side, there is a safeway store nearby, and they sell food too.
- Disappointing Valentine's DayAmbianceIsMyThingDined on 2/14/2014This place has a very hip, urban vibe, & I'm pretty sure I would have normally given it at least a 3-star review had I not eaten there on Valentine's Day. To sum it up, I think they sacrificed quality (food, service, ambiance) for quantity (# of diners). Being a special occasion, we each ordered 2 drinks & filet mignon. The drinks were great (~$10 each) & the FM (~$40 each) was good but not great (they ran out of mashed potatoes so we ate the FM with rice!). Also, there was little privacy- my husband said it looked like a speed dating setup & we could hear everyones' conversations. Ultimately, our 4 drinks & filet mignons came out to $150 (not including $15 for parking). In the end, just not worth $175! Would go back but only for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, but expensiveaeztheticDined on 2/14/2014Service was a bit sub-par, but they were very busy on valentines day. The food, all of it, was excellent. For the price though, I would expect the food to be as good as it was AND have a more upscale ambiance. Would I go back again? yes, possibly. But its not very good value, its just very good food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our experience dining at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014Our experience dining at this restaurant for Valentines Dinner was terrible. I think they were short on staff and weren't able to handle the crowd that was coming in. The tables downstairs were too close together which didn't leave for much privacy. Worse of all, the servers were bringing food to every table that were not correct. It was also a chilly night and the front door was kept open due a line up and people coming in to dine. Because of this my food got cold really fast since we sat near the front doors.
- Valentines Day DinnerBillybassoonDined on 2/14/2014Dined on Valentine's Day. Restaurant was packed but had made reservations and we were seated within 5 minutes. Service was pleasant and quick. Our salad came before our drinks and our entrees came almost immediately after the salads. I'm sure they were trying to turn tables but no one hovered or rushed us. Never been disappointed at the Loft!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodLovegoodfoodDined on 2/14/2014I had the short rib at this restaurant and it was very good. The seating was terrible. We sat at a table that was so small and wobbly, we were surprised our food did not fall off,whenever we tried to cut or eat it. There was barely enough room for our plates and beverages and the waiters etc barely have enough room to serve. I don't think we will be going back soon.Special Features:
- Great Food, poor ambienceFluteboy1Dined on 2/14/2014Our reservation was honored on Valentines Night We were seated on time. However, our dining table Was smaller than a cocktail table. They could barely Fit the bread plates & silverware .. We ordered 2 glasses Of wine and we had to get rid of one bread plate to Put them on the table .. We shared a Caesar Salad , but Before we finished half of it our Entree came.. We felt rushed & cramped at the same time listening To the conversations of diners 1 foot away on both sides. Food was very good.. Overall experience was BADSpecial Features:
- Too Many TablesKEMHDined on 2/14/2014I was lucky to get a reservation for Valentine's Day dinner. The food is fine, it is expensive for what you get. The reason that I write this review is not to be too critical, but let the restaurant rethink it's special events. On a day like Vday, it makes sense that a restaurant would do whatever to make extra money (that's good business.) But, they loaded up the space with tiny cocktail tables and barely enough space between to get to the back chair. The tables were too small for the plates. My advice to the restaurant is to try out the set-up, sit at a loaded up table with people right next to you and make sure that you are offering a dining experience of which you can be proud
- MixedRobGDined on 2/14/2014Food was very good. Service was both good and bad. Excellent staff, but some of the little things were not right. Appetizers came out remarkably quickly and we're delicious. Unfortunately, the main course came out on its heels, so you didn't get a chance to truly enjoy the experience. Up to that point the service was almost too good, if that's possible. After that, service kind of disappeared. This was Valentine's Day, so I get it that it's a busy day. Would definitely come back, just felt like something was missing when we were done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okwinetimeDined on 2/7/2014This place was cool atmosphere. I dine out A LOT and definitely have my pet peeves.....a major one is when the main course gets delivered before appetizers and salads are finished. The place was rather empty so it's not like there was a rush for the table. We were in absolutely no hurry. I tend to have certain expectations when I dine out and I definitely got irritated as my rack of lamb came half way through my salad! The food itself was ok, too much sauce on the rack, the veggie stir fry was so so. I'll try it again and order something different, but it seemed a bit pricey for the overall experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for before San Jose RepOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/6/2014Location is within walking distance of San Jose Rep. American food, salads, fish, steak, good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-concert dinnerFoodiesDined on 2/6/2014Parking across was expensive at $5 an hour, Loft doesn't validate. We wanted to eat at a place close to the SJC Performing Arts before the Australian Bee Gees concert on a weekday. We ordered from the dinner menu, happy hour menu didn't have enough selections. Our bill was about $100 for 4. The steak was tough and not as my son expected who is a culinary student at the Culinary Arts Institute in San Francisco. Pastas were just so so, limited vegetarian and vegan selections. We would have had great food and ambiance if we went to Il Fornaio. I think the Loft is just a restaurant bar, not a bistro. I will not recommend to friends who are foodies, like us. But to someone who likes the bar scene, who just wants to drink and eat happy hour food.Special Features:
- CelebrationDebbie71Dined on 1/31/2014Good place for singles or a group. Accommodating. Great selection of food. A bit louder than I like, but that seems to be the trend anymore. Went there for birthday celebration with a small group and enjoyed ourselves. Service started out slow when they were packed, but once groups thinned out, it was great. And the service staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 1/31/2014We visited before catching a concert. It took over half an hour for our food to come out. The manager had to check in with the kichen and compensated us with a round of drinks. Unfortunately we missed the beginning of the show. The ambiance was very nice. Food wasn't bad. We might give them another chance if we ever come back to the area.Special Features:
- Not the best experienceMuttiBDined on 1/31/2014With my reservation, I had asked for a table upstairs, but upon arrival, I was asked to choose a table downstairs or sit at the roof top garden where heat lamps were on but the MD did not recommend it. Neither he nor other staff indicated that 2 people in my party had arrived earlier and were indeed up at the roof top. After finding each other we ordered dinner while still waiting for our 4th person. Our food arrived 6:55pm at the same time when person # 4 arrived who placed his order immediately, indicating that we were heading for a 8:00pm show at the REP. His food was served at 7:40pm which left him very little time to eat. Let's hope this was an exception, as we like to patronize this place also in the future.Special Features:
- Great place for dinner!Kie914Dined on 1/24/2014Had dinner with a friend here. Great service and food. Enjoyed and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service, Great Appetizer!ChrisVIPDined on 12/31/2013My wife and I went in on New Year's Eve for supper before a party. The first seat we were shown to was on the patio which was really loud. Happily, the hostess was able to find a quieter spot for us inside the restaurant where we enjoyed the steak bites appetizer (possibly the best app ever!), a nice glass of wine, and some supper. My Scampi Scallops were salty, but my wife liked her chicken. My take-away is that we would definitely go back here for a good time out, not necessarily for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and happy hour drinkswebguyDonDined on 12/26/2013had a great time after Christmas for my wife's birthday. Great food and happy hour drink special until 7pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secret Santa done almost rightBigKneemsDined on 12/19/2013The wait for a table - even with a reservation, the service, the food, all expected and/or better than expected. The organization however, could've been better. They seated a party of 10 with only two square tables together. The seating arrangement made for a cramped dinner, for both my party and the party near us. That aside, everything was great and highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a fun little placePatrickDined on 12/19/2013Good food, reasonable prices, nice little jazz band downstairs with a decent bar upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little neighborhood gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/19/2013Booked for a holiday dept lunch for 5 attorney's. They loved the food and thought the Loft was a great place for our small event. We were seated on the upstairs patio, which was covered and heated. We practically had the area to ourselves. We loved it. Service was a little slow, but we weren't too offended because we saw as we came in, several other larger company parties going on at the same time. Overall, we were very satisfied.Special Features:
- Nice and quite place for lunchkcna3VIPDined on 12/16/2013Nice and quite place for lunch with an extensive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Got a unwelcomed callCorneliaDined on 12/8/2013I had a reservation for 20 people and 2 hours before the reservation, I got a call saying I can still come at 6pm, but I had to be finished by 7:30pm because of a private party. I thought that was rude on managements part. He advised me he was doing it so I could have time to make reservations somewhere else. We ended up going and once we got there the waitress gave us a Happy Hour menu that read Happy Hour was EVERYDAY 3-7pm. We were there before 7pm and some of the guest wanted food on the Happy Hour menu... they advised they could not get those items for Happy Hour prices on food, only on drinks. Those guest did not order food. Service was rushed. food was good, we stayed past 7:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.