Lodge on the Desert
306 N. Alvernon Way
Tucson, AZ 85711Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Lodge on the Desert
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lodgeonthedesert.com/
- Phone: (520) 320-2014
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7 - 10:30 AM
Lunch: 11 AM - 2 PM Dinner: 5 - 9 PM Sunday through Thursday and 5 - 10 PM Friday and Saturday.
Daily Happy Hour: 4 - 6 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marcus van Winden
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For meeting and event planners from mid-size conferences to seminars; class reunion to family reunion; awards dinner to recognition lunch to civic breakfast; Lodge on the Desert's location is convenient and accessible. For banquets or catering of any sort, let Lodge on the Desert staff help facilitate a memorable event. To check event guest room or event room availability for your retreat, reunion, conference, or corporate meeting, contact Director of Catering, LeeAnn Perry-Walker at 520-320-2011.
- Private Party Facilities: For smaller, more intimate dining options, contact Justin Skoda.
- Private Party Contact: Justin Skoda 520-320-2014x
- Cross Street: Alvernon and Broadway
- Public Transit: A SunTran stop is conveniently located less than one block from the Lodge's main entrance.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Lodge on the Desert offers its guests and diners ample, dedicated, private, complimentary, lighted parking lot.
A word from Lodge on the Desert
The intimate restaurant at Lodge on the Desert is framed with floor-to-ceiling windows and overlooks a spacious secluded Saltillo-tiled outdoor private patio featuring a four-sided fireplace for optimal year ‘round al fresco dining. It reflects, as does the bar, a genuine, richly authentic Southern Arizona historic charm and ambience including rough-hewn artist-design hand-painted wood beams and Mexican tin chandeliers. This is the ideal venue to showcase Lodge on the Desert’s ‘new American’ upscale and contemporary cuisine, blending flavors from America’s melting pot with cooking techniques both traditional and unconventional. The culinary team's focus includes incorporating fresh ingredients from local growers and organic producers resulting in menu items that are well balanced and flavorful.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Lodge on the Desert - Best Restaurants in Tucson ›
Lodge on the Desert reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (26)great for outdoor dining (25)neighborhood gem (24)romantic (22)fit for foodies (20)good for groups (11)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (7)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- This was an OK RESTAURANTStarDined on 11/2/2014Food was acceptable. Service OK. Food used to be better. Very quiet in the restaurant. Breakfast on Sunday noon would be nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LashVIPDined on 10/31/2014Another excellent meal at LOD. This eve, wife and I dined on their patio, which is pretty well protected from the elements.Wife had the rib eye steak medium. She says LOD has about the best steaks around, and this is what she usually orders. She said the potatoes and spinach served with the steak were delicious. I had their rack of lamb, med. rare. Turned out to be a generous portion. It was served as ordered. Was very tender and very good. The potatoes and side dishes were also excellent. We have dined here several times and always had excellent food, and service. Can't forget the excellent service here. We highly recommend this restaurant at Lodge on the Desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014We had a terrific meal at the Lodge on the Desert on Sunday, October 26, 2014. We arrived at 11 and were told that the brunch menu usually ends at 10:30, but the chef was still happy to serve us brunch or from the lunch menu, our choice. We ordered from both menus -- fish tacos, eggs, omelet, toast, bacon, homemade jam, breakfast potatoes. All excellent. Pretty patio dining. I grew up in the neighborhood and used to hang out at the Lodge on the Desert in the 1950's -- it's been renovated, but the charm is still there. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice!gglauDined on 10/25/2014Whether you stay at the Lodge or elsewhere, the restaurant is an excellent choice (we had both breakfast and dinner there)--great food, excellent service, wonderful atmosphere. The night we had dinner at the Lodge, they were putting on a wedding for 150 guests . . . we were worried that our service/food might suffer, but both the food and service were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Pleasant ExperienceTerrytDined on 10/24/2014We dine here at least once a year and always have a very nice time as the food is always good. I wanted to sit outside because their patio is wonderful, but mosquitos always target me for dinner! Our server was very nice and efficient and our food did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Serene and deliciousdesertguyDined on 10/24/2014Very impressed by our first visit to Lodge on the Desert. Setting is quiet and relaxing. Seating is indoor, outdoor and a combination of both. Jerry, our server, was helpful and efficient. I'm not usually a dessert eater, but the poached figs with cardamom gelato was wonderful.Special Features:
- MarciDined on 10/21/2014We chose the Lodge because of a recommendation of a friend and it is on the Dining Card. We dined comfortably on the outdoor covered patio. We chose the patio menu and completely enjoyed our meal, the service that was provided and the ambiance of the outdoor setting.Special Features:
- awesome dinnerDarkshogunDined on 10/20/2014Great fine dining experience for my third anniversary. Lowered the music when i asked, attentive staff and my fiancée ' s scallops were cooked to perfection. Great drinks and awesome atmosphere. Better than my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be excellentZwoofDined on 10/16/2014As you can see from our ratings we enjoyed our visit to LOTD restaurant. To make it truly excellent, here are a few point to consider. It took quite a while before we had anything to eat. We never received bread. Chef Marcus remarked, that was a mistake and that normally bread with olive oil is being served. The little saucer for the oil on the table was proof of that. Jacob our waiter was extremely friendly an accommodating. The wine list is rather limited however very reasonably priced. We look forward to the new wine list which is apperently in the worksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatBarbDined on 10/11/2014Every time we & friends have gone here, it is always the same. Great Food, friendly people & great service. That is what make a good restaurant great. Joshua (hope I got it right) is a delight. Never did we have the MIA (missing in action) server. I believe they have a new Chef, even so the food is the same quality. We have been to this restaurant before and will return. There is no downside to this place. We also received a welcome back from the manager. Plus they made me Sangria, which was not on their menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/7/2014The food was very good but the service was extremely slow. We had a 3 year old child with us and it took 2 hours for the whole dinner, which is a long time for a child. I am not recommending this restaurant due to the slowness of the service.Special Features:
- Didn´t live up to expectationsaneduDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant was highly recommended, but the food did not live up to expectations. Service was great, great waiter, chef came out to greet us, ambience was nice and quiet, good for a romantic dinner. But the food was not up to par, lobster bisque was terrible, steak was described as best in town and was far from it, some items were under-seasoned, didn´t risk ordering dessert. Disappointing over all.Special Features:
- Tucson GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2014I'm a native Tucsonan yet never dined at the Lodge. After having dinner there I wish I had gone there a long time ago. The food was very good and the service was outstanding. The waiter took our special requests with no issue and perfectly timed the service of each course.Special Features:
- Summer menu too limitedDaveDined on 9/14/2014We had previously been to Lodge on the Desert for dinner during non-summer months and found the menu to be very interesting. Unfortunately, during the slow summer season, the menu is very limited and unimaginative. We won't return during the summer again.Special Features:
- Excellent food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We dined at Lodge on the Desert for my birthday. The food and atmosphere was outstanding and worth going back for; however, we were disappointed in the service. We were never brought bread plates and even when they brought out our appetizer to share, we had to specifically ask for plates. There were only two tables seated in the main dining room inside, yet there were long lulls between being given the menu and ordering and then again at the end of the meal before getting our check. The diners at the table next to us expressed frustration with trying to get coffee/dessert and then the check, as well.Special Features:
- LODGE ON THE DESERTOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at The Lodge on the Desert this Thursday evening...service was excellent and the food was both creative in taste and presentation. We will recommend to any friends coming to Tucson....an excellent experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poorly doneLuv2eatDined on 9/11/2014Service was lousy! We waited twenty minutes after finishing and then had to ask bus girl for dessert menu. After receiving that, we waited another twenty minutes to order dessert, and the waiter never came. We asked bus girl for check and left without dessert. Steak was ordered medium rare, and came medium well and tough
- Lovely old place. Excellent food.JudyDined on 9/7/2014This is an old hacienda type Lodge. We went specifically for dinner. Food is sourced locally. Presentations are quite unique. Our server was very knowledgeable about the offerings and we enjoyed his 'speeches'. My partner had the rib eye steak-outstanding. I had the duck breast w/ truffle risotto/excellent. Delicious and delicate Napoleon dessert. We were seated by the window overlooking a rather closed in courtyard. There were no expansive views, but plantings in the courtyard and a lovely fountain. I wasn't too happy that another party was seated right next to us since the dining room was not busy at all, but we managed. We entered the Lodge lobby while looking for the restaurant and that is so lovely in it's Hacienda decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experiencelovethelodgeDined on 8/23/2014First time we have been here & definitely will come again. Attentive, knowledgeable, friendly wait staff. Relaxing atmosphere, wonderful food. Even the two trained chef/sous chef with me found the food to be beautifully presented & wonderfully prepared. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Restaurant!LakeGirl247VIPDined on 8/18/2014I make a point to eat at Lodge on the Desert each time I visit Tucson. It is always a memorable experience!Special Features:
- Excellent dining experiecepalatepleaserDined on 8/16/2014Great atmosphere . Service was impeccable and the food was delicious and very reasonably priced. This will be our new favorite place to go.Special Features:
- The following 395 reviews are from the Lodge on the Desert reviews archive.
- Desert TreasureSavorinaDined on 7/26/2014Lodge on the Desert is a most pleasant dining experience. Interesting, understandable food. Calm and competent service. Convivial, but quiet atmosphere. Fish was perfectly cooked and attractively presented. Thoroughly enjoyable dining and socializing experience.Special Features:
- NiamhDined on 7/26/2014Food was great as well as presentation. Staff was eager to please and attentive. I would definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef outstandingbirthdYDined on 7/10/2014The preparation of the dishes was fantastic. The beef tenderloin perfectly done. Vegetarian dish was blue corn tamale and the spices paired with it made fabulous flavors.Special Features:
- jimfoodDined on 7/7/2014Went to dinner at the Lodge on the Desert for our 30th anniversary. Meal and service was excellent. The local, grass-fed ribeye melted in my mouth and the complementary wine brought out to drink with our appetizers was a nice touch. both our entrees were exceptional and our waiter bringing out the bottle of of Johnny Walker Blue to serve me at our table was a highlight. Dessert and the dessert wines were excellent as well.Special Features:
- donbDined on 6/29/2014Disappointing to say the least. Rib eye over cooked, duck so, so. Since it is almost 30 miles from SaddleBrooke, I will probably never dine there again.
- luvwiningDined on 6/25/2014Very enjoyable experience will be back again in the near futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectBarbDined on 6/24/2014The people and the food were great. I had one of the best steaks I have eaten in a while. I would without a doubt go back. There were 4 of us. We all enjoyed our evening there. Jerry was a attentive service. Kudos to him and the chefSpecial Features:
- pumpkinVIPDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed the quaint dining room and had a nice table by the window. The bread that came in the beginning of the meal was really good as well as our dinner. The waiter was helpful as to what to order. We enjoyed our wine at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!!FoodiesDined on 6/15/2014Food was good--service so so. Waitresses friendly but slow. We were the only persons there for lunch(party of five). We asked for water and were given it eventually but never offered a refill. Same with the coffee. When our food arrived we were warned about hot plates--which were not even warm.Special Features:
- Wonderful hidden restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2014The restaurant at the Lodge on the Desert is hidden on the side of the Lodge. However, it is worth seeking out. The menu included very interesting choices, the food was great, the service was outstanding, and the setting was beautiful.Special Features:
- AnnaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014The restaurant was excellent! The food was extraordinary and the service superb!Special Features:
- Lodge on the Desert still a Winnermab19VIPDined on 6/6/2014We've been curious since the Star Power Chef left to his own restaurant, how the new Chef would be. There is not a beat missing and in fact it's probably as good or better now. I had an appetizer for an entree and my husband had the duck. Other dishes at our table were the chicken and the salmon. Beet salad and a couple of desserts. Go Lodge!Special Features:
- Perfect Place for our Anniversary!FoodaholicDined on 6/5/2014My husband and I celebrated our 22nd year anniversary here. It was the perfect place... romantic, elegant, quiet, great service... We were spoiled with free champagne with our delicious meal and a complimentary creme brulee for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceSuziefayeDined on 6/3/2014The service was poor. Our waiter told us that the salmon was caught in the Atlantic. The chicken dish was swimming in oil. The striped bass was tasty, but too much salt. The servings were small.Special Features:
- UnderwhelminggramsciDined on 6/3/2014The waiter did not know the wines well. Our wine was not cold enough; and we had to ask for an ice bucket. The salad was fresh but the dressing had an unpleasant flavour. My fish was nicely presented but not noteworthy; my spouse's chicken was however excellent. The menu was new for the summer, but when we ordered the cheese dessert neither choice (Manchego or Saint Andre) was available!! The plate we accepted instead had 4 or 5 small, square (?) slices of unripe, bland "Brie" and a teaspoon of acidic Danish Blue, with tasty raspberries and flavourless blackberries. The final and thankfully free touch: white chocolate coated pine nuts and roasted garlic. Unpleasant and pretentious.
- More training needed for server!MaxineDined on 5/23/2014My friend and I were celebtrating her 76th birthday on the patio. Our server brought menus and seemed anxious to take our orders. Since this was our first time at Lodge on the Desert, we were wanting to experience a relaxed lunch & needed some extra time. Before our meal was done, the waitress brought the bill! After our lunch, I asked for the dessert menu. She brought one dessert menu. I asked if she could bring another. Who brings one menu when two people are eating? After our meal, the bill arrived once again. I put cash, a coupon and expected to get my change back so that I could add more for a tip. I never got the change so went looking for the waitress inside. I asked her if everything was o.k. and she said yes.Special Features:
- Pleasant SurprisestxdesertgirlVIPDined on 5/16/2014I had not been back to LOTD since Ryan Clark left. I have to admit the food was delicious, and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- SukiDined on 5/16/2014A bit of a disappointment. I got the duck breast and my husband got tuna (fish of the day). Both were over cooked. The ceasar salad was very good, as was the soup. Wine list is very limited and fairly pricey. Service was very good.Special Features:
- Mothers Day FailMothersDayFiascoDined on 5/11/2014We had never been so we looked forward to going there for Mothers Day. It was obvious right away they were not prepared for a normal Mothers Day crowd. We ended up being there 2 hours and 25 minutes. Our server, Raymond did his best and was very cordial. The food was well below what you would expect from a chef as nothing had flavor and the main course was what I could make at home. We asked for bread to help fill our stomachs in between the long waits for each course and they were out of bread. This was at 1PM. Unacceptable. The manager is responsible: not enough staff, food not ready and to run out of bread, pretty bad. The menu was way too limited if you did not want the 4 course deal. Doubt we will ever return.