Lockwood Restaurant and Bar
Palmer House Chicago
17 E. Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60603Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Lockwood Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lockwoodrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 917-3404
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Afternoon Tea: 2pm - 4pm; Dinner: Sunday- Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm. Lobby Bar and lounge opens at 11am daily offering a lighter fare menu and full bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, American, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Mathew Wiltzius
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining and Party options are available - please contact Oscar Perez at 312.917.1738 or email@example.com
- Special Events: Afternoon Tea is offered daily from 2 pm to 4 pm allowing you the opportunity to enjoy a classic teatime in the famed lobby of the Palmer House Hilton. Reservations are required.
- Cross Street: Between State & Wabash
- Public Transit: Lockwood Restaurant and Bar is located steps from the Monroe (Red Line) stop, as well as the Green, Orange, Brown and Purple stop on Wabash - Adams stop.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Valet parking available at 17 East Monroe, self parking available at 55 East Monroe. Discount validation is available.
A word from Lockwood Restaurant and Bar
Lockwood Restaurant & Bar is an ideal dining destination offering a truly unique, chef inspired, modern American menu highlighting locally and seasonally influenced fare. An extensive wine program is also available so that guests can select the perfect vintage to complement their meal. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and afternoon tea, Lockwood Restaurant provides a comfortably elegant setting for any and all occasions—including private events and receptions. Located on the lobby level of the historic Palmer House Hilton, Lockwood strives to deliver an unforgettable experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lockwood Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
romantic (10)special occasion (9)fit for foodies (9)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (7)neighborhood gem (6)vibrant bar scene (6)good for groups (5)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Terrible servicehpstinesDined on 11/7/2014We decided to give this Hotel and its restaurant another chance and unfortunately the only consistency is the bad dinner service. I will give them "props" for their breakfast service and our server who helped us feel a little better after the prior night's debacle but I will never ever have dinner there again.
- Delicious dinnerAudgeDined on 11/7/2014The mussels appetizer was classic, whipped ricotta spread delightful and chicken dinner Devine.Special Features:
- Lockwood - PalmerMySouthDined on 11/1/2014Great food, great ambience, service was a bit slow for a not very busy restaurant.Special Features:
- Perfect for pre-theater dinneropentabledinerDined on 10/31/2014We had tickets at the Bank of America Theater and decided to risk Lockwood despite mixed reviews online. Our experience was very, very good. I had the duck breast and my companion the skatewing and both were excellent. (The duck especially!) Also baby beet side was very good. Our dessert--shared the chocolate ball cake--was disappointing. Might not seek out this restaurant as a destination in itself but the food was definitely worth it. And the location is convenience itself. Service was terrific. We had a 5:30 reservation so the place was all but deserted when we arrived despite the crowd scene in the bar just beyond the restaurant. Would recommend to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for lunchChicagoean123Dined on 10/31/2014This was my first experience at this restaurant. Excellent food, service was little slow. Great place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StandardOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014I would consider this restaurant a standard. The food and atmosphere are good and what I would consider standard for a hotel of this caliber.Special Features:
- nice placedanchar42Dined on 10/25/2014girlfriend and I came here for date night; very nice venison and chicken, good deserts as well. coffee was nice but expensive. service was great and we didn't feel rushed by the server at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014Main course was very slow in coming out. Food was fine but nothing really special. Wait service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, would recommend!selfproclaimedfoodieDined on 10/18/2014My experience with Lockwood for the first time two days ago was, overall, great! The ambiance was calm and quiet (I was there for lunch with a friend), and the food was delicious, but I give it four stars because both my friend and I agreed that our dishes were a bit salty. I give the service three stars because, for one, our waiter initially forgot to bring one of our drinks and our waitress, shortly afterwards, forgot to remove the onion from my burger like I had asked. There were also crumbs left on our table when we arrived. However, our waitress was very accommodating and immediately corrected these errors as soon as we brought them up, and even gave us a discount on our meal to make up for it. So overall, would certainly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingEddieDined on 10/16/2014While the restaurant is attractive and the service attentive and pleasant, the food is mediocre. My seared scallops were ok, but bland. My wife had salad and soup, and both were below par. The salad was supposed to have pears and nuts, and there were only a few tiny slivers of unripe and tasteless pear, and the nuts were scarce and stale. The carrot soup had the obligatory foam on top, but tasted strange and without a rich carrot flavor. This is not an inexpensive restaurant, and the food should be much better for the price.
- Service is slowDKW1Dined on 10/15/2014So disappointed with the service at Lockwood! Do not go there if you are seeing a show. Told the waiter that we had to leave around 7 for ballet. At 6:45 we still didn't have our salads. Drinks were small and weak! Food was yummy but had to shovel it down. Not worth the$$$Special Features:
- Not very impressedDanZDined on 9/27/2014Arrived in Chicago to celebrate a Birthday. Made a reservation for dinner expecting at least a good table. We were sat was not too impressive. Appetizer, prawn, was undercooked and not edible. Main course was average and IMO not worth the price paid. Our server was average. Not impressed with this place.
- No need for reservationRazinhorsesDined on 9/20/2014One of the worst dining experiences I have ever had. Saturday night in Chicago and only two other tables occupied between 7:15 and 10:00PM. One of other tables sent soup back to kitchen. One member of my party ordered strip steak and received venison. Waiter argued about what was ordered. Tried to order my Ribeye without potatoe encrustation and waiter said that would degrade the entree. Portions were sparse, drinks were weak. Bill was neary $300 for 4 guests (before tip). Left hungry and broke.
- FineCaligirl74Dined on 9/19/2014Food was ok. Somethings were bad, some were very good so averaged out to ok. Service was slow!!!!Special Features:
- We had an excellent dinnerAnnandBillDined on 9/14/2014It was a busy area outside of the reastaurant, but it did not disturb. There were few clients, making is very quietSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No vegetarian optionsUnhappyDined on 9/12/2014Their website menu offered vegetarian options but when we got there they told us they had just changed the menu and they no longer had anything, I said well maybe we should go somewhere else then? Our waiter said to let him check with the chef so we did he came back and said they could make us a fresh made spaghetti with mushrooms so we stayed, it wasn't cooked well enough and was really hard to chew. Our appetizer came with bacon sprinkled on it. I could have gone somewhere else and had an amazing dinner for half the price. Very disappointed,Special Features:
- So disappointedDiningDiva1VIPDined on 9/11/2014The Palmer House is an exquisitly beautiful hotel. The tea is served near the open bar area so it is quite noisy. The tea is also very expensive for the marginal food you get. So disappointed. The hotel is worth staying at but pas on the high tea. Not worth the money.
- Excellent service/foodPlaygoerDined on 9/6/2014Always a pleasure to dine at Lockwood. We eat there whenever we stay at the Palmer House.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great staff! Felt like royalty. Brilliant display of food. Super ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Business ConnectionSLDragonDined on 8/27/2014Lockwood was fine for a business lunch with colleagues from the area. Meal was average and staff attentive without being intrusive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business BreakfastSFAEVIPDined on 8/21/2014Good place for a business breakfast. The service is always prompt and the food is good. I had asked for a round table for 5, and it was a bit cramped as it was stuck in a corner. Otherwise, good as always.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodJandBVIPDined on 8/20/2014Our halibut and steak were perfect. Our server was outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie2VIPDined on 8/13/2014Great food and awesome service. Palmer House shines with this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Service - Great FoodServiceVIPDined on 8/11/2014Celebrated a special birthday with friends who remembered a high school prom there in the 1950's. The hotel is spectacularly renovated. The restaurant staff handled all of my special requests from the hostess to the servers. While I was waiting I was offered a beverage until the rest of my party arrived. We had a variety of entrees from salads, to sandwiches and fish. Several of our party ordered bloody marys and were impressed with the appearance & taste. The Caesar salad I ordered with salmon was perfect; great dressing. Our birthday person had a lovely dessert with candle & the waiter and several others joined in singing happy birthday. Key lime pie was excellent. Portions were just the right size. And we were not rushed.Special Features:
- Convdenient locationPhilVIPDined on 8/4/2014Lockwood is very reliabvle and well located for meeting with people who are staying the hotel. I have used it several times for that purpose and hve not been disappointed.Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprise!TurnerduxVIPDined on 8/1/2014I love lamb and order it often when dining out. This was possibly the best I have ever had. The lamb sausages were a great touch! I think this restaurant deserves a little more respect...and customers!
- Nice selections, limited menuJandBVIPDined on 7/30/2014We have eaten at Lockwood Restaurant several times before and enjoyed the meals. This trip was no exception; from the Manhattan cocktail to the final bite of the entree. We usually do not have room for dessert, so I cannot comment on that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing atmosphere and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Recommended restaurant, bit pricey but worth it. Very beautiful scenery. If you have the time and don't mind waiting for service, go for it.Special Features:
- GreatMmmmsalmonDined on 7/27/2014We were staying at the hotel, and after a long day of walking around we didn't want to go far for food. We made a reservation online, as a precaution, and were seated early. The food was amazing. I always look for good salmon, and I finished my plate because it was astounding. If I'm ever back in the Chicago area, I would love to come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1018 reviews are from the Lockwood Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- Delicate surprisecitygoersDined on 7/21/2014Staying at the Palmer House for a two day stay in Chicago for the first time, my girlfriend and I were exhausted from walking around to all the stores. When we saw the menu, we knew the food must be pretty good, so we spontaneously ate here! Needless to say, the food was spot on perfect. I don't usually eat at fancy dining establishments but this is one place you should! The food was delicately and tastefully prepared along with a very professional and non-intrusive server who gave excellent wine suggestions for my girlfriend and me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster RollCatherineDined on 7/9/2014The lobster roll was delicious and worth going back for. I was a little disappointed in the side salad because the dressing was too bitter and some of the greens too peppery - not a great balance. The service staff were great - approachable and helpful.Special Features:
- disappointingtweepieVIPDined on 7/8/2014Asparagus salad was advertised with morel mushrooms. They were NOT on it when it arrived. Salmon was overcooked and dry.
- Food v executionOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014The food at Lockwood was outstanding, but the service didn't compare. I had to ask for my empty water glass to be filled, and there were crumbs on the sleek black table that were not wiped away between entrees and dessert. They are little things, but at this price point, you should expect more. We don't usually seek out hotel dining, but it was convenient before a show. I would go back for the food.
- A mustOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/4/2014This Perfect 10 in the Palmer House is too much of a secret. In fact, we chose Lockwood because we couldn't get reservations at a nearby restaurant. So we definitely lucked out. Pick/presentation of vegetables especially beautiful and halibut was perfect. We shared a glass of wine and the pouring was most generous. Ask to be seated in Mozammel's section!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodGBdinerDined on 6/30/2014Visited the Lockwood for dinner as we were staying at the Palmer House. Menu was a bit sparse but the food was really nice. Lovely atmosphere. Would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kmfioVIPDined on 6/29/2014Limited menu, pricey and no ambiance , however conveniently located in theater district
- Needs an update Fast!VisitorfromRIDined on 6/26/2014The food was vey well presented. My husband and I both has a salad,(a little to petite for the price), but vey god and well presented. We both like our fish lightly cooked. My husband had raw salmons, sent it back and it came out the same. He really does like it undercooked, but this was almost raw. I had halibut and it was dry and way over cooked. Still the meals felt fresh and well presented, and maybe just a bad night. The dinning room was another issue altogether. There were cubed lights on a chrome track All over the dining room. It was a very dated and eye disturbing look. It was actually uncomfortable. Very unattractive & date large cubes over old chandeliers did not work either. The restaurant decor didn't work w/ the food or lobby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected better considering.trysomethingnewDined on 6/20/2014Took a friend for afternoon tea. I had to ask for another teacup as mine was dirty. The floor around our table was also littered with crumbs and chunks of food from the previous diners. For the price, I would have expected a little more attention to such details. It was not crowded so there was no excuse. Tea selection was good. Scones excellent. Tea sandwiches so so. Desserts were good. There was nothing fabulous other than the fact it was in the lobby at the Palmer House, which is beautiful. If you want to charge $40 each for snacks and tea, check your tables before serving. Sitting down to a dirty teacup was not the way to set the tone for our meal.
- MehRecentDinerDined on 6/14/2014Slow, indifferent service. Informed waiter up front that we had symphony tickets and he forgot about us. Had to request service three times. Food was just OK. Did not come anywhere close to Tribune review's glowing terms. Not that expensive, but not worth the money.
- NickyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Service was so slow, we barely made our Symphony program. We had gotten there extra early, yet our food arrived very slowly. Very limited menu, and the arrangement of the menu was quite unusual.