Lockwood Restaurant and Bar
Palmer House Chicago
17 E. Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60603Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Lockwood Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lockwoodrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3129173404x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Afternoon Tea: 2pm - 4pm; Dinner: Sunday- Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm. Lobby Bar and lounge opens at 11am daily offering a lighter fare menu and full bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, American, Afternoon Tea
- Executive Chef: Mathew Wiltzius
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining and Party options are available - please contact Oscar Perez at 312.917.1738 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Events: Afternoon Tea is offered daily from 2 pm to 4 pm allowing you the opportunity to enjoy a classic teatime in the famed lobby of the Palmer House Hilton. Reservations are required.
- Cross Street: Between State & Wabash
- Public Transit: Lockwood Restaurant and Bar is located steps from the Monroe (Red Line) stop, as well as the Green, Orange, Brown and Purple stop on Wabash - Adams stop.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Valet parking available at 17 East Monroe, self parking available at 55 East Monroe. Discount validation is available.
A word from Lockwood Restaurant and Bar
Lockwood Restaurant & Bar is an ideal dining destination offering a truly unique, chef inspired, modern American menu highlighting locally and seasonally influenced fare. An extensive wine program is also available so that guests can select the perfect vintage to complement their meal. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and afternoon tea, Lockwood Restaurant provides a comfortably elegant setting for any and all occasions—including private events and receptions. Located on the lobby level of the historic Palmer House Hilton, Lockwood strives to deliver an unforgettable experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lockwood Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (22)fit for foodies (16)romantic (14)great for lunch (10)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- We had an excellent dinnerAnnandBillDined on 9/14/2014It was a busy area outside of the reastaurant, but it did not disturb. There were few clients, making is very quietSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No vegetarian optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014Their website menu offered vegetarian options but when we got there they told us they had just changed the menu and they no longer had anything, I said well maybe we should go somewhere else then? Our waiter said to let him check with the chef so we did he came back and said they could make us a fresh made spaghetti with mushrooms so we stayed, it wasn't cooked well enough and was really hard to chew. Our appetizer came with bacon sprinkled on it. I could have gone somewhere else and had an amazing dinner for half the price. Very disappointed,Special Features:
- So disappointedDiningDiva1Dined on 9/11/2014The Palmer House is an exquisitly beautiful hotel. The tea is served near the open bar area so it is quite noisy. The tea is also very expensive for the marginal food you get. So disappointed. The hotel is worth staying at but pas on the high tea. Not worth the money.
- Excellent service/foodPlaygoerDined on 9/6/2014Always a pleasure to dine at Lockwood. We eat there whenever we stay at the Palmer House.
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Great staff! Felt like royalty. Brilliant display of food. Super ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Business ConnectionSLDragonDined on 8/27/2014Lockwood was fine for a business lunch with colleagues from the area. Meal was average and staff attentive without being intrusive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business BreakfastSFAEVIPDined on 8/21/2014Good place for a business breakfast. The service is always prompt and the food is good. I had asked for a round table for 5, and it was a bit cramped as it was stuck in a corner. Otherwise, good as always.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodJandBVIPDined on 8/20/2014Our halibut and steak were perfect. Our server was outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie2VIPDined on 8/13/2014Great food and awesome service. Palmer House shines with this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Service - Great FoodServiceVIPDined on 8/11/2014Celebrated a special birthday with friends who remembered a high school prom there in the 1950's. The hotel is spectacularly renovated. The restaurant staff handled all of my special requests from the hostess to the servers. While I was waiting I was offered a beverage until the rest of my party arrived. We had a variety of entrees from salads, to sandwiches and fish. Several of our party ordered bloody marys and were impressed with the appearance & taste. The Caesar salad I ordered with salmon was perfect; great dressing. Our birthday person had a lovely dessert with candle & the waiter and several others joined in singing happy birthday. Key lime pie was excellent. Portions were just the right size. And we were not rushed.Special Features:
- Convdenient locationPhilVIPDined on 8/4/2014Lockwood is very reliabvle and well located for meeting with people who are staying the hotel. I have used it several times for that purpose and hve not been disappointed.Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprise!TurnerduxVIPDined on 8/1/2014I love lamb and order it often when dining out. This was possibly the best I have ever had. The lamb sausages were a great touch! I think this restaurant deserves a little more respect...and customers!
- Nice selections, limited menuJandBVIPDined on 7/30/2014We have eaten at Lockwood Restaurant several times before and enjoyed the meals. This trip was no exception; from the Manhattan cocktail to the final bite of the entree. We usually do not have room for dessert, so I cannot comment on that.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing atmosphere and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Recommended restaurant, bit pricey but worth it. Very beautiful scenery. If you have the time and don't mind waiting for service, go for it.Special Features:
- GreatMmmmsalmonDined on 7/27/2014We were staying at the hotel, and after a long day of walking around we didn't want to go far for food. We made a reservation online, as a precaution, and were seated early. The food was amazing. I always look for good salmon, and I finished my plate because it was astounding. If I'm ever back in the Chicago area, I would love to come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicate surprisecitygoersDined on 7/21/2014Staying at the Palmer House for a two day stay in Chicago for the first time, my girlfriend and I were exhausted from walking around to all the stores. When we saw the menu, we knew the food must be pretty good, so we spontaneously ate here! Needless to say, the food was spot on perfect. I don't usually eat at fancy dining establishments but this is one place you should! The food was delicately and tastefully prepared along with a very professional and non-intrusive server who gave excellent wine suggestions for my girlfriend and me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster RollCatherineDined on 7/9/2014The lobster roll was delicious and worth going back for. I was a little disappointed in the side salad because the dressing was too bitter and some of the greens too peppery - not a great balance. The service staff were great - approachable and helpful.Special Features:
- disappointingtweepieVIPDined on 7/8/2014Asparagus salad was advertised with morel mushrooms. They were NOT on it when it arrived. Salmon was overcooked and dry.
- Food v executionOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014The food at Lockwood was outstanding, but the service didn't compare. I had to ask for my empty water glass to be filled, and there were crumbs on the sleek black table that were not wiped away between entrees and dessert. They are little things, but at this price point, you should expect more. We don't usually seek out hotel dining, but it was convenient before a show. I would go back for the food.
- A mustOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/4/2014This Perfect 10 in the Palmer House is too much of a secret. In fact, we chose Lockwood because we couldn't get reservations at a nearby restaurant. So we definitely lucked out. Pick/presentation of vegetables especially beautiful and halibut was perfect. We shared a glass of wine and the pouring was most generous. Ask to be seated in Mozammel's section!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodGBdinerDined on 6/30/2014Visited the Lockwood for dinner as we were staying at the Palmer House. Menu was a bit sparse but the food was really nice. Lovely atmosphere. Would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kmfioVIPDined on 6/29/2014Limited menu, pricey and no ambiance , however conveniently located in theater district
- Needs an update Fast!VisitorfromRIDined on 6/26/2014The food was vey well presented. My husband and I both has a salad,(a little to petite for the price), but vey god and well presented. We both like our fish lightly cooked. My husband had raw salmons, sent it back and it came out the same. He really does like it undercooked, but this was almost raw. I had halibut and it was dry and way over cooked. Still the meals felt fresh and well presented, and maybe just a bad night. The dinning room was another issue altogether. There were cubed lights on a chrome track All over the dining room. It was a very dated and eye disturbing look. It was actually uncomfortable. Very unattractive & date large cubes over old chandeliers did not work either. The restaurant decor didn't work w/ the food or lobby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I expected better considering.trysomethingnewDined on 6/20/2014Took a friend for afternoon tea. I had to ask for another teacup as mine was dirty. The floor around our table was also littered with crumbs and chunks of food from the previous diners. For the price, I would have expected a little more attention to such details. It was not crowded so there was no excuse. Tea selection was good. Scones excellent. Tea sandwiches so so. Desserts were good. There was nothing fabulous other than the fact it was in the lobby at the Palmer House, which is beautiful. If you want to charge $40 each for snacks and tea, check your tables before serving. Sitting down to a dirty teacup was not the way to set the tone for our meal.
- MehRecentDinerDined on 6/14/2014Slow, indifferent service. Informed waiter up front that we had symphony tickets and he forgot about us. Had to request service three times. Food was just OK. Did not come anywhere close to Tribune review's glowing terms. Not that expensive, but not worth the money.
- NickyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Service was so slow, we barely made our Symphony program. We had gotten there extra early, yet our food arrived very slowly. Very limited menu, and the arrangement of the menu was quite unusual.
- Misleading MenuChicagoFoodieDined on 6/13/2014The food was OK, but we chose this restaurant before a concert downtown because the prices seemed reasonable for that area. Well, they mix in the appetizers with the entrees, so the selection is actually smaller and the prices double. Not something you want to find out there. Service was slow even though it was not very full at all. Might be a good place for a business meal, but not so much a romantic one. I would not go back.
- A great find near the theaters.TMoonDined on 6/11/2014This restaurant was excellent. it was just off the very busy and noisy lobby of the Palmer House, yet the restaurant itself was quiet. The service was excellent--the waiter had great knowledge of the menu and made excellent recommendations. As for the food, it was beatifully presented and absolutely delicious. We were attending a show at the Bank of America Theater, and the location could not have been more convenient.Special Features:
- Classy and classicMuledaddyVIPDined on 6/10/2014Lockwood at the historic Palmer House Hotel, one of the oldest, if not THE oldest hotel in Chicago has more class and ambience than any other in the loop. The bar area in the lobby is striking in its beauty. The restaurant menu is innovative and with a selection for everyone, from Steaks to Lamb to Fish to Duck there is something for all tastes. The wine list prices range from $40 up and have some remarkable lables. They even have gluten free breads and other choices.Special Features:
- BunkeyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/8/2014The food was adequate and the restaurant is most convenient for hotel guests - not sure I would chose to dine there otherwise. Service was pleasant and the people watching is note worthy.Special Features:
- GinaADined on 6/6/2014Excellent food and service, good atmosphere. Convenient for a business get-together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but slightly overratedPinotPaulVIPDined on 6/4/2014Tied from traveling so didn't want to venture out. Very creative menu. Had the radish salad and salmon entree. Both were very nice. I thought the salad could have benefitted from some additional lettuce as it was only the radish leafs. The salmon was very nice but a little too skimpy on the portion size. The damper for me was the service. The waiter was slammed so not really his fault. Noise from hotel lobby spills into the section of the restaurant where I was seated. If you want a quieter place ask for a table further inside. Probably not go back unless too tired to leave hotel.Special Features:
- ASCOascomemberDined on 6/1/2014Great Location to dine. Excellent food, good wine, nice and very elegant location. The service could habe been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantastickayessDined on 5/24/2014The meal here was wonderful and the service was friendly and relaxed. The sommelier picked out the perfect wine. I would recommend this place to anyone. I feel its location in the Palmer House might make people hesitate to dine here but this would make a great date night or a pre or post theater dinner and there was great people watching in the lobby bar outside the restaurant. Scallops, Halibut and Roasted Vegetable platter were delicious. We had the creme brulee and a cherry tart for dessert and we were not disappointed. I would go back for the prix fixe meal a value at $44.Special Features:
- The following 999 reviews are from the Lockwood Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- DinneroutVIPDined on 5/18/2014Service was top notch, especially as I was dining alone. I liked everything but the carrot and quinoa salad. There was too much pepper (or something?) on the carrots and the quinoa was completely undercooked. The rest of my prixe fixe dinner was nice and it came in at a good price for my expense account.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014Consistently inspired, creative dinner menu; lackadaisical, uninspired service; ambiance dated, uninspired, not consistent with rest of property; wine list adequate. Recommend as dinner destination, breakfast adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LockwoodMChicagoDined on 5/15/2014Great dinner, food and service. The only downside is the tables are adjacent to the hotel lobby bar (separated by a filmy curtain) which was LOUD making any business conversation almost impossible.
- mothers day dinnermannyoDined on 5/11/2014service great, food tasty, desserts yummy. portions could be larger.Special Features:
- Disappointing Mother's day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014We expected to have brunch in the beautiful restaurant space. instead we were taken upstairs to an area where the tables were generic round tables with cheap chairs. I felt like I was sitting at a wedding table. some tables had 1 -3 people which otherwise would fit 8. We were far from the food, so going up to the buffet was a quite a distance. They tried to make it up with giving out cheap carnations and plastic bracelets to moms...but i was disappointed. the only good thing that came out of it was the validated parking--we ended up using the full 4 hours which would have cost $40. The price of the buffet was $60 per adult and $30 per child. A huge rip-off for the lacking ambience...
- Not exactly for foodiesClarkDined on 5/11/2014Very elegant old-time comfort food brunch. Service was outstanding. Ambience lovely. Can't think if a better Mother's Day Brunch in the city. Hotel is so interesting and who gives free parking in this day and age?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.