Locanda Vini e Olii
129 Gates Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11238Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Locanda Vini e Olii
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.locandany.com/
- Phone: 7186229202x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - 11:00am - 3:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michele Baldacci
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We don't have a private room, but we do occasionally rent out the restaurant for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Michael 7186229202x
A word from Locanda Vini e Olii
Serving traditional Tuscan cuisine in a renovated 19th century pharmacy since 2001. Homemade pasta, grass-fed Piedmontese beef, and some of Italy's best wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Locanda Vini e Olii - Best Restaurants in Clinton Hill ›
Locanda Vini e Olii reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (44)romantic (36)notable wine list (32)special occasion (30)good for groups (14)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- hungrygrlhungrygrlVIPDined on 10/17/2014Our first dinner here as we could never get a reservation before, very positive experience all around. Noise level could be better, as with many other NYC restaurants, hard to have a decent conversation. We ( ll 4 of us )look forward to returning soon. Entree portions are a bit large for me, otherwise our meal was lovely.Special Features:
- ugly cookies make it betterdandelionhunterDined on 10/17/2014Celebrating my birthday early, I felt their desire to turn the table more than hospitality. The famous olive oil was bland and tiny. The charcuterie del mare was a creative take on octopus and tuna but fell flat. After reviews boasting of food made with passion, I would have settled for food made with high quality sea salt. The mushroom pasta was mediocre. The saffron thread pasta with pine nuts and sardines was unappealing, vaguely fishy with the sandy texture of breadcrumbs. I fished through to find pine nuts and mostly found sardine bones. The steak was good quality but bare- served only with arugula. Only the ugly almond cookies were redeeming. Glad I didn't have my hopes up to celebrate in style here. Good thing I enjoyed my wine.
- 10 Year Anniversary DinnerCharacterZeroDined on 10/17/2014A great experience with my wife celebrating our 10 year anniversary. Excellent food and service. Loved the bottle of wine from Campania we enjoyed with our meal. Nice menu. Very friendly staff. Look forward to a return visit. The space is also memorable. Thanks !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMaxtheBostonDined on 9/24/2014We had a wonderful, relaxed, dinner. I will return when we are in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic Italian restaurantHOLLYMIGGIEDined on 9/24/2014My wife and I celebrated her birthday at the restaurant. The food was great and our waiter was wonderful. The only thing was finding the restaurant was a bit difficult because there outside sign say Lewis drug store? But once entering the establishment it was a neighborhood gem with a great wine list. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails, meh foodsf2bkDined on 9/23/2014I would go back for the cocktails and olives. The food was quite bland and uninspiring.Special Features:
- Tuscany in BKFeedMeFoodDined on 9/16/2014I noticed the adorable Locanda Vini e Olii when I was riding my bike and have been meaning to try it ever since. When I looked it up I was thrilled to find that it in addition to being housed in an artfully converted neighborhood pharmacy the reviews all lauded the cuisine. In the tradition of Tuscan cooking our meal let all in ingredients speak for themselves. Simple and well executed food and a space that makes you want to stay for hours. Having dined in Tuscany where the dinners don't start until 10pm and end whenever you feel like it I was disappointed to be the only ones left in the place after keeping a 9pm reservation. But hey, it was a Tuesday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- theliegeDined on 9/13/2014Food and service are very good; seating is tight. Cardboard menus are cute but for a quality place they should spend a little more on the menu stock.Special Features:
- Beautiful PlaceMrshaxDined on 9/9/2014The design of the restaurant is beautiful, the service is very good, the homemade vermouth a are wonderful, and the food is nothing. It is lacking in creativity, flavor and presentation. The food did not match the atmosphere. But my husband had the bacala and he said that was delicious, we are planning on going back to sit at the bar order this FANTASTIC bottle of wine we had some olives and maybe some sides. I am not planning on going back for dinner unless they change chefsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Love the food and atmosphere. Not a big bar, but great drinks and enjoyable and knowledgeable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!almin1204VIPDined on 9/4/2014it was my first time at Locanda Vini e Olii and I was pretty impressed, Food was very good! In particular, baccalá, pappa al pomodoro e tagliata. Pasta was wonderful too, sage pappardelle was delicious. I wasn't too crazy about potato/pancetta ravioli with board ragú. Waiter Gabriele was the best, very friendly and professional. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- husband birthdaySuesueDined on 8/20/2014The food was amazing my husband and I enjoy it. The service was great. My husband had the roasted duck he kissed his fingers very very good, I had the Rabbit but too salted but they were nice to replace it with something else so i had the roasted Duck amazing. I would recommend just for a night out or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom and Dad's DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014After a day in NYC, we wanted to bring my parents to this restaurant that we were introduced to by friends a few months ago. It is not easy to please mom and dad when it comes to dining in Italian restaurants. Mom is from Sicily and Dad is Roman, a true Italian food snob. Well, they were blown away!! Dad suggested trying the tasting menu. I was concerned because both my husband and mom are pretty limited in the foods they would try normally but they thought it sounded like a great idea. Al I can say is the food was amazing, the ambiance superb, and the wine, suggested by the owner, was perfect. The owner came by frequently to check on us, delivering the food himself on a few occasions. Mom and Dad continue to rave about Locanda Vini e OliiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love it!brooklyonDined on 8/2/2014The place isn't very convenient but I would like to come back again. I wish I had this restaurant in my neighborhood. Foods we ordered were all delicious. I enjoyed real Italian foods. You can't find tripe in not many restaurant. They We were four women. All love love love the restaurant design which they kept the gems of the original drugstore. So lovely.Special Features:
- LJP1947Dined on 7/31/2014Perhaps it was because you had had a private party previous to opening to other diners on Thursday night, but we were disappointed with the food, its presentation and service, especially considering the cost. I always order heirloom tomatoes when they are in season and on the menu, and know how excellent they can be, but these lacked the distinctive, delicate taste characteristic of the finest ones. The beef in itself was excellent, and cooked to perfection, but the pile of uninteresting greens piled carelessy next to it made the entire plate unappealing. More care could have been taken with the presentation. I have no problem paying the premium for an excellently prepared and served meal, which I did not feel was the case here.Special Features:
- Two great dining experiencesBobMinchakDined on 7/27/2014The chef's tasting menu, family style, is the way to go. The plates seemed to keep coming with delicious experiences I would have never put together. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Great food and great wine and great service!Special Features:
- Delicious Food & Lovely AtmospherebkrestaurantfanDined on 7/27/2014I've been here for dinner twice and most recently for brunch. The service is always stellar and the food is always memorable. I love this neighborhood as well, very charming and laid back. Will definitely come back here many times!Special Features:
- Second RateafreviewDined on 7/26/2014This place got very good reviews but honestly it's a just another 2nd rate nyc italian restaurant. All the food was undersalted, and all the ingrediantes seemed a little bit mushed together. I would not go back.Special Features:
- top notch pastasrepeatcustomersDined on 7/25/2014Locanda Vini e Olii is perfect for a special occasion or simply a delicious Italian meal. With reasonably priced soups and salads, to creative and perfectly cooked fresh pastas, we've returned to this restaurant a number of times. If ever you have the opportunity, order the home-made pasta with mushrooms and the raspberry tart.Special Features:
- ManhatexplorerDined on 7/19/2014Tuscan style, with a few highlights from other regions. Overall a varied menu, freshly prepared, and good recipes. Pasta dishes were fantastic - fresh pasta cooked perfectly and great ragu. Interesting wine list, with some unusual selections, and well priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luburyDined on 7/13/2014We are from Montreal and we came 3 times in 1 week. We were sure to be satisfied and wanted to taste differents dishes and everything was very good and in a pleasant ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad... Not the bestILovegoodfoodDined on 7/12/2014It's ok ... Not the best I have been to for the money ... But not the worst...
- Thumbs upOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Great place, great food, great vibe. Some terrific wines too.Special Features:
- Nice dinner for 2reviewernicknameDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I had a lovely dinner here, and look forward to bringing more people back to try the tasting menu.Special Features:
- The following 136 reviews are from the Locanda Vini e Olii reviews archive.
- Always a good time but..NomNomDined on 6/20/2014I visit this restaurant once a year for a family member's birthday and every tim the service from start to finish and end to end is phenomenal. The food is wonderful, the waitstaff is friendly and accommodating and the atmosphere makes this restaurant absolute gem of the proliferation of New York Italian places. Usually the service is top notch. On my most recent visit our server was rather cool and indifferent throughout the meal and could find no way for an undecided member of our party to place an order slightly later than the rest of the group. Inconvenient for the server, sure but when you're spending 3 or 400 dollars on dinner you don't like to feel rushed.Special Features:
- MeganphDined on 6/15/2014For a great night out, you can't go past Locanda Vini e Olii. Full disclosure, I live around the corner, so I find myself there at least weekly and it never fails to impress. The food is fresh and delicious - traditional Tuscan style, the service impeccable and it's in the cutest old drug store on the planet. It's always going to be a 5 out of 5 from me.Special Features:
- Great food, inattentive serviceedillaloDined on 6/7/2014Locanda Vini e Olii has a lot of great things going for it: the restaurant is housed in a unique space that retains a lot of character and interesting elements; with high ceilings and a good use of mirrors, it feels spacious inside; also, the food is very good and offers unique plates many people may not have encountered before. But the service is downright infuriating. We were greeted warmly & quickly when we arrived, but things quickly went south from there. Perhaps due to it being a Saturday night, but it often felt like we were neglected & forgotten. No checks on how the food was, no offers of more wine, tons of staff hurrying past the table but not even trying to clear our plates, and we had to hunt down a server to get our check.
- Good food, wonderful old settingMrBrahmsDined on 6/5/2014A beautiful old pharmacy, now a lovely restaurant setting. Good food - we had duck and pasta. Great appetizers - chicken livers and a nice salad. Delicious bread pudding for dessert. Drinks were good. The waiter was kind of brusque - maybe he thought it was funny. I didn't. Kind of inappropriate for such a nice place. But still worth the trip.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfettoargentDined on 6/4/2014Always beyond standards! Food is seriously delicious and ambience is great. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedPhilDined on 6/4/2014Live in the area, never been before. If I had to guess I'd venture that the two waiters had an interest in the place - they were both very knowledgeable of the menu and moved efficiently within the room. The tripe was excellent (serious portions, and I'm something of a gourmand), the duck, however, was a little tough. I plan on going back to try some new parts of the menu.Special Features:
- arjayDined on 5/31/2014great meal, food excellent, a little hard to hear your tablemates as it is very noisySpecial Features:
- Absolutely FabulousMerniejVIPDined on 5/31/2014Ever since I first went to Locanda Vini e Olii 5 years ago, I have dreamed about their tomato and bread soup. Their food tastes like it has been cooked with more love than can fit in the kitchen. I would highly recommend this restaurant to any foodie who wants a quiet meal and to enjoy the best of Brooklyn!!Special Features:
- PerolaDined on 5/30/2014We had a wonderful time. Great light northern Italian food available, good wines and a great original spaceSpecial Features:
- Great food, not enough waitstaffElExigenteDined on 5/29/2014The food is exceptional, authentic, Northern Italian but the dining experience is undermined by the lack of waitstaff serving the always full restaurant. We saw only two waiters on the floor, occasionally aided by the host, hustling the tables so that service was brusque and frenetic. If one is looking for a relaxed dining experience, this is not the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulAllthebestDined on 5/24/2014Absolutely wonderful. Food was delicious and authentic. Sardines in Soar was as good as when I had it in Venice - perhaps even better. Everyone in our group raved about their food. Great wines. Great desserts. Best food we've had in a long time, and we eat out a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014The service was inattentive, unenthused. Granted the restaurant was very busy, but if our server had been a little bit apologetic about the slowness, all would have been forgiven. The food varied in quality. The Branzino was excellent, a pasta dish was lackluster, and another was totally bland– like eating chewy cardboard covered in a grayish, flavorless sauce. Considering this is Italian food and expensive at that, I'd expect something with a few more dimensions than a box of grocery store pasta and canned sauce. Too bad, we were expecting a better experience given the personal recommendations of friends. But hey, great wine recommendation. Off night? Unsure. But much too far off the mark for the price to return.Special Features:
- A neighborhood treasurebrooklynetteDined on 5/11/2014We've been coming here for over 10 years, and it's always a pleasure. From the amazing charcuterie, to the homemade pasta, to the delicious main courses, everything is worth trying. The anchovies on toast were terrific. The black pepper pici pasta is one of my faves. And the desserts are no less delectable, especially the sachertorte and the pannetone bread pudding with fruit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but...FoodluvrDined on 5/9/2014Food was very good - authentic Italian. Would have been a much more pleasant experience if there were less tables (very close to each other) and less noise. Very difficult to relax and enjoy the meal because you are practically in the conversation of the person next to you. Would highly recommend a table or two less - would reduce the noise level
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2014An exceptional restaurant matched by its very special ambiance. It's one of those places that you almost don't want to recommend as you want to keep it for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedsa1m0ne11aDined on 5/2/2014The servers were very rude and pushy. We were a party of 6 and ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings. The wine was fine but the food was uninteresting and none of the ingredients tasted particularly fresh or well-prepared. For comparably priced Italian in the neighborhood, I would suggest Romans instead.