Locanda Positano - San Carlos
617 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Locanda Positano - San Carlos
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.locanda-positano.com/
- Phone: (650) 591-5700
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm (Brunch and Dinner Saturday and Sunday Only)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Emanuel Medardo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We tailored our catering to fit your needs. Please contact us for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Gusto is an exquisite venue for private dining, with state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment built in to the private dining room.
Our glass-enclosed private rooms provide privacy as well as a sophisticated atmosphere for our corporate clients and special occasion events.
- Private Party Contact: Ramona 6505915700x
A word from Locanda Positano - San Carlos
At the heart of Italian cooking is the ability to be spontaneous and flexible with the freshest ingredients available. Locanda Positano strives to source from local farmers and turns their bounty into delicious fare to share. Our artisanal pastas, regional dishes, and signature Neapolitan pizza sing with true Italian simplicity and love. Our intimate dining room transports our customers to coastal Italy with a sleek modern Italian eatery decor with full bar and exhibition style kitchen. Dress up or dress down - we welcome you with open hearts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Locanda Positano - San Carlos reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (20)special occasion (17)good for groups (17)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (10)hot spot (10)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (8)romantic (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Food was great , service great. Very attentive. Wish there were more vegetarian dishes to choose from. Otherwise all was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsJimPVIPDined on 11/8/2014I have been to Positanos many times and it never disappoints. Enzo is always there to welcome along with his beautiful hostess Irina. The food and service are consistently first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good- VERY NoisybillsharjDined on 11/6/2014Our pasta dishes were delicious as was our kale salad. I asked for a quiet table...almost impossible here as the noise level is deafening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a sidewalk gatheringOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/31/2014We had a group that met on Laurel Street for drinks and appetizers during the Goblin Walk. The service was fast and very friendly and we enjoyed our spot watching the kids in costume trick or treating at the local businesses while the street was closed to cars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family dinner - outstanding!scfoodieVIPDined on 10/17/2014We seem to always take our friends & family to Positano. The food is outstanding & pricing is fair for the portions and quality. Service was very good. It does tend to get very loud as the evening progresses is my only comment! Veal & pasta are excellent choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little gemdwhincaDined on 10/11/2014We had a very enjoyable time. The service was the best I've received in a long time. The food was very good and I liked the wine selection. My only critical comment is while everyone else had a healthy serving on their plate, the lobster ravioli left me hungry. It was a small serving. But I will be back, for the lasagna.Special Features:
- If you miss Italy...ClimateBestByGvrnmntTestVIPDined on 10/10/2014About as close to an authentic Italian experience as you will find in the San Carlos/Italy area. Charming, casual, warm and friendly. Service is Italian too - let them know if you are in a hurry, otherwise, relax and enjoy! Food is excellent.Special Features:
- My fav lunch spotfoodlover1VIPDined on 10/8/2014Good Italian food - I like the bread and dipping olive/garlic stuff that's brought to the table as an appetizer :) Hidden gem!Special Features:
- We had a great timeMattDined on 10/4/2014We had dinner here Saturday night for my friends 40th birthday. We were able to get outside seating and the food and service was great. By sitting outside, the atmosphere was relaxing however you could get a more vibrant, fun atmosphere by sitting inside, near the bar if you want so it is nice to have these options.Special Features:
- Good spot for GF customerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014I was excited to try items off your GF choices. The dish I chose was good but I'd like to come back and try others, especially the pizza. I had the pasta with italian sausage, wild mushrooms and peas in a creamy white sauce. It was a little bland for my taste and the mushrooms didn't stand out much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RonnieDined on 10/1/2014Food and service are great. Too noisy for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SF experience in the BurbsNiceDined on 9/27/2014Every time we come here, it feels like we are dining in SF, but most patrons are dressed poorly and don't seem to get the "reservation" concept. The food is average, the service is overly attentive and you get to know your dining neighbors because they are 18 inches away from you. If you are looking for "romance" or a nice quiet dining experience, then this is not the place. If you want to know what its like dining in SF, where you are seated in an intimate, loud, "turn the tables as fast as possible" environment, then this is the place. The food itself comes out lightning fast, the staff is overly accommodating if you want something special made or altered. It is fairly average Italian fare, which there are an abundance of on the PeninsulaSpecial Features:
- Excellent ItailianRaymondDined on 9/27/2014First time in. Very good service, attentive but not overbearing. Good explanations of specials. I'm not sure what the main ingredient is within the oil dip brought out with the warm bread, but it's got great flavoring, could be a meal in itself. The quality of the food and presentation of the food was high. Will easily go back again.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch,except for kit. noise!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/25/2014Took my friend to Positano for her birthday lunch. We were warmly welcomed, attentively served and enjoyed the food. However, throughout the latter half of our meal the kitchen crew was continually POUNDING on something...I mean really LOUD! They were otherwise noisy as well. We had chosen a table near the rear of the room because there was a large group of women at the front we felt the rear table would suit us better....oh well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Great Experience!LynieRVIPDined on 9/24/2014This is our new favorite restaurant!! Love the food, service and ambience! We were here for the first time about a month ago...our second visit was equally as great...Thank You!! We sat at the bar for a drink first...and John, the bartender was friendly, informative and provided great service. We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Great place for dinnersweetdiningDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant has great food. The best part about it for me is that they do a gluten free pasta and it's really excellent. Also the servers are very knowledgeable about both the food and the wine. I've been there several times, taken friends there and we are always satisfied.Special Features:
- birthday dinnereileenVIPDined on 9/14/2014The evening was wonderful. The food and the service was excellent. The bartender Rosa was very nice and attentive. She makes excellent cocktails! They treated me so nice on my birthday!Special Features:
- Amalfi CoastyummytummyDined on 9/11/2014Neighborhood gem made more pleasant by good food and most of all by the friendly greeting of the hostess and amiable, quick and knowledgeable service of our waiter, Fabio. He answered our questions about how the dishes were prepared. Noting that he was Italian we asked about the translation of the different types of pasta. The pasta with fresh grape tomatoes, herbs, clams and butter was fresh and light. My husband had the "priest's collar pasta" w mushrooms and peas and Italian sausage with a light cream sauce. He devoured it. For dessert, don't miss the incredible "tartufo".Special Features:
- Worst Dining Experience EverOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014I had a reservation for 2. We were seated at a bistro table outside on the corner. The weather was very cold and windy and I asked to be seated inside. WE were then seated at the pizza oven. My seat was on the end next to the wine glasses. Waiters were constantly reaching over me for glasses throughout the entire evening. My pizza was served cold. It was inedible! I sent it back and told her to take it off the bill. About 10 minutes later the pizza guy across the counter hands me a pizza cooked correctly. No apology or follow up from the snooty waitress. The pizza was originally taken off the bill then added back on after being handed the wrong bill. At the very least our drinks should have been complementary.
- LPOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2014Why was this rated so high? The food was lousy and the service the same. Lobster pasta had no taste and the portion was small.
- Better for 2 peopletastyfollowerDined on 8/22/2014Great restaurant, food is delish. We were a 4 top but set for a table that was better for 2 people, it was hard to fit drinks, bread plates and an appetizer on there. I've been before with 4 people and our table was a much bigger table.Special Features:
- What a Great Find!!LynieRVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were a party of six...none of us had ever dined here before. We ALL LOVED this restaurant. Their customer service, ambience and most importantly the food was wonderful!! We had drinks at the bar first and were given a sample taste of an appetizer...nice touch. In our group,we had a variety of salads and our entrees included the veal, halibut, lasagne and eggplant parmigiana. They were all great and served HOT! They also treated us to a dessert and lemon cello. I highly recommend Locanda Positano!!!!Special Features:
- Very enjoyable!cherribombDined on 8/15/2014We really enjoyed sitting outside and our food exceeded expectations. We had the meatballs, prosciutto arugula pizza, and the black ink seafood pasta. All dishes were excellent. Good wines by the glass to compliment the food. Our waiter was entertaining, knowledgeable, and made sure everything came out at the right time.Special Features:
- Local starPaulDined on 8/11/2014On our second visit to Locanda Positano, our expectations were high based on our previous experience, and we were not disappointed. We shared a Caprese salad; the mozzarella, basil, olive oil and trace of balsamic were perfectly tuned to prepare us for the entrees. My salmon was served with grilled local cauliflower and roasted potatoes, my guest had orichiette, with a wild boar ragou. both dishes were delicious and accompanied by a 2008 Barolo, made the meal one to remember. The service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Ben M.BenofpremierDined on 8/11/2014Good Ambience, our server, the manager was nice got good recommendation on wines and food as well. Had a good time in celebrating my daughter's 23rd Birthday.Special Features:
- Yum yum yumfoodieforeverDined on 8/9/2014Their food is always delicious and the staff very welcoming--always a treat to dine there.Special Features:
- Great ServicebaywesVIPDined on 8/2/2014We have been going here for years and this time they really did a great job. We had 3 little kids with us ages 4.5 and 8yo. The server ordered they pasta before we even selected a drink. Smart! Had their food out and had them happy while we were waiting for our meal. The meals were excellent. I had the carbonara which is always a delight. Our friend we were with celebrating her moving out here to the bay area and starting a new job at Stanford got the sea bass and loved it. My wife got a pizza and it was delicious as well. When the kids finished the server brought out tiramisu for the kids as a treat for being well behaved which was really nice. Again, this place always does a great job.Special Features:
- The following 408 reviews are from the Locanda Positano - San Carlos reviews archive.
- Another wonderful dining experiencekaaaliiVIPDined on 7/29/2014This was the 5th or 6th time I've dined here and the staff consistently delivers once again! From the welcoming greeter and wait staff to the amazing food keeps us coming back. We started off with the red plum salad and then I had the daily risotto with mushrooms, shrimp and truffle oil and my husband had the fresh pasta with sausage, mushrooms and peas. Everything was fresh and flavorful. We topped off our dinner with the Limoncello dessert, refreshing and not too sweet! Who could want for more?Special Features:
- first timeluvItaliaDined on 7/29/2014Looking for another San Carlos spot, suggested this to a friend. We both thought our meals were excellent and authentic. He has traveled the world and pronounced his gnocchi the best he's ever had outside of Italy. Can't wait to return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good foodErikaVIPDined on 7/27/2014We have been to Positano many times, and the food and service are always good. We took our friend and he really like the pasta and salad. Desserts were good as well and they treat us with warm welcoming.Special Features:
- chicasVIPDined on 7/24/2014After shopping at then San Carlos farmers market it was nice to sit down a and enjoy a good bottle of wine, great delicious food, fun environment and a yummy desert to end the nightSpecial Features:
- Just okay food with poor serviceluvfoodVIPDined on 7/24/2014Thankfully, I had reservations and was seated right away. I ordered a glass of wine and didn't see it until 10 mins later. Service was poor. The lady taking our order appeared to be the manager. We ordered a salad to share. Nice thing, she split it for us. Each ordered a pasta dish that was bland and nothing to come back for. The main dish came out while the salad plate was still on table resulting in no space on the table (small table). The lady behaved as if it was our fault there wasn't room on the table for the meal. Never got a refill on drinks or water for that matter. To top it off, the lady asked "How you girls doing?" I had to glare at her and say "Excuse me?" It wasn't "Girls" it was me and my male friend! Not coming back!
- foodloverforlife64Dined on 7/24/2014Not sure why is the place is packed. There food is less than mediocre. I dined at Gusto the week before and it is great. How can 2 places owned by the same people be so different?
- Birthday LunchTheItalianGirlDined on 7/24/2014We had 13 guests for a birthday celebration. Filippo was a wonderful server. He explained the menu to everyone, recommended a wonderful Italian wine (Pinot Grigio), and was very patient with all the ladies. Some ordered the sausage pasta, the Marguerita Pizza and the breast of chicken. The portions were large and all the food was tasty. It was a warm day, so the ladies had a choice of Gaspacho cold soup or choice of salads. All the ladies loved their Italian style dishes.Special Features:
- DanCDined on 7/22/2014Locanda Positano is in a good location, right on a main downtown street, and finding a place to park is not difficult. It was a bit crowded and noisy, but the service was quite good, very attentive and cheerful. They have a great menu with lots of authentic Italian dishes from all parts of Italy. Their pappardelle pasta with wild boar ragu was fantastic! While I do prefer authentic Italian-style pizza over American versions, I thought their pizza was just so-so. Overall a very good restaurant, and I'll probably go back, but not quite one that I would rave about.Special Features:
- Awesome diningJudyADined on 7/20/2014Love this place! The food is incredible and super sweet ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Decent PickGreenSmoothieDined on 7/18/2014My husband ordered the Lasagna, which was ridiculously large and OK, per his tastes. I munched on the Margarita pizza which was absolutely delicious. The service was the highlight - very prompt and friendly, without overshadowing the table. I would recommend to try it at least once.Special Features:
- FantasticWanderlustVIPDined on 7/16/2014Great food, outstanding service, friendly staff . A taste of Italy in San Carlos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Great restaurant with great service. The ambiance and the food were delightful.Special Features:
- Great for Relaxed DinnerklinpvDined on 7/7/2014Dinner for 3 on a Monday night. Restaurant was active - close to full, though no one sitting at what looked to be a nice bar. Two or three tables were 4-top G'sNO - may be a market niche. Service was quick and attentive. Wine list good, 'market' pricing. 3 of us split 2 salads; peach & arugula salad (good) and a kale salad (excellent). Perfect quantity for the three of us. We had pizza's; all great.Special Features: