Locanda Positano - San Carlos
617 Laurel Street
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Locanda Positano - San Carlos
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.locanda-positano.com/
- Phone: 6505915700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm (Brunch and Dinner Saturday and Sunday Only)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Emanuel Medardo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We tailored our catering to fit your needs. Please contact us for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Gusto is an exquisite venue for private dining, with state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment built in to the private dining room.
Our glass-enclosed private rooms provide privacy as well as a sophisticated atmosphere for our corporate clients and special occasion events.
- Private Party Contact: Ramona 6505915700x
A word from Locanda Positano - San Carlos
At the heart of Italian cooking is the ability to be spontaneous and flexible with the freshest ingredients available. Locanda Positano strives to source from local farmers and turns their bounty into delicious fare to share. Our artisanal pastas, regional dishes, and signature Neapolitan pizza sing with true Italian simplicity and love. Our intimate dining room transports our customers to coastal Italy with a sleek modern Italian eatery decor with full bar and exhibition style kitchen. Dress up or dress down - we welcome you with open hearts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Locanda Positano - San Carlos reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (55)fit for foodies (44)great for outdoor dining (32)special occasion (23)great for lunch (21)hot spot (17)good for groups (16)notable wine list (14)romantic (14)kid-friendly (14)vibrant bar scene (12)great for brunch (11)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- birthday dinnereileenVIPDined on 9/14/2014The evening was wonderful. The food and the service was excellent. The bartender Rosa was very nice and attentive. She makes excellent cocktails! They treated me so nice on my birthday!Special Features:
- Amalfi CoastyummytummyDined on 9/11/2014Neighborhood gem made more pleasant by good food and most of all by the friendly greeting of the hostess and amiable, quick and knowledgeable service of our waiter, Fabio. He answered our questions about how the dishes were prepared. Noting that he was Italian we asked about the translation of the different types of pasta. The pasta with fresh grape tomatoes, herbs, clams and butter was fresh and light. My husband had the "priest's collar pasta" w mushrooms and peas and Italian sausage with a light cream sauce. He devoured it. For dessert, don't miss the incredible "tartufo".Special Features:
- Worst Dining Experience EverOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014I had a reservation for 2. We were seated at a bistro table outside on the corner. The weather was very cold and windy and I asked to be seated inside. WE were then seated at the pizza oven. My seat was on the end next to the wine glasses. Waiters were constantly reaching over me for glasses throughout the entire evening. My pizza was served cold. It was inedible! I sent it back and told her to take it off the bill. About 10 minutes later the pizza guy across the counter hands me a pizza cooked correctly. No apology or follow up from the snooty waitress. The pizza was originally taken off the bill then added back on after being handed the wrong bill. At the very least our drinks should have been complementary.
- LPOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2014Why was this rated so high? The food was lousy and the service the same. Lobster pasta had no taste and the portion was small.
- Better for 2 peopletastyfollowerDined on 8/22/2014Great restaurant, food is delish. We were a 4 top but set for a table that was better for 2 people, it was hard to fit drinks, bread plates and an appetizer on there. I've been before with 4 people and our table was a much bigger table.Special Features:
- What a Great Find!!LynieRVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were a party of six...none of us had ever dined here before. We ALL LOVED this restaurant. Their customer service, ambience and most importantly the food was wonderful!! We had drinks at the bar first and were given a sample taste of an appetizer...nice touch. In our group,we had a variety of salads and our entrees included the veal, halibut, lasagne and eggplant parmigiana. They were all great and served HOT! They also treated us to a dessert and lemon cello. I highly recommend Locanda Positano!!!!Special Features:
- Very enjoyable!cherribombDined on 8/15/2014We really enjoyed sitting outside and our food exceeded expectations. We had the meatballs, prosciutto arugula pizza, and the black ink seafood pasta. All dishes were excellent. Good wines by the glass to compliment the food. Our waiter was entertaining, knowledgeable, and made sure everything came out at the right time.Special Features:
- Local starPaulDined on 8/11/2014On our second visit to Locanda Positano, our expectations were high based on our previous experience, and we were not disappointed. We shared a Caprese salad; the mozzarella, basil, olive oil and trace of balsamic were perfectly tuned to prepare us for the entrees. My salmon was served with grilled local cauliflower and roasted potatoes, my guest had orichiette, with a wild boar ragou. both dishes were delicious and accompanied by a 2008 Barolo, made the meal one to remember. The service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Ben M.BenofpremierDined on 8/11/2014Good Ambience, our server, the manager was nice got good recommendation on wines and food as well. Had a good time in celebrating my daughter's 23rd Birthday.Special Features:
- Yum yum yumfoodieforeverDined on 8/9/2014Their food is always delicious and the staff very welcoming--always a treat to dine there.Special Features:
- Great ServicebaywesVIPDined on 8/2/2014We have been going here for years and this time they really did a great job. We had 3 little kids with us ages 4.5 and 8yo. The server ordered they pasta before we even selected a drink. Smart! Had their food out and had them happy while we were waiting for our meal. The meals were excellent. I had the carbonara which is always a delight. Our friend we were with celebrating her moving out here to the bay area and starting a new job at Stanford got the sea bass and loved it. My wife got a pizza and it was delicious as well. When the kids finished the server brought out tiramisu for the kids as a treat for being well behaved which was really nice. Again, this place always does a great job.Special Features:
- Another wonderful dining experiencekaaaliiVIPDined on 7/29/2014This was the 5th or 6th time I've dined here and the staff consistently delivers once again! From the welcoming greeter and wait staff to the amazing food keeps us coming back. We started off with the red plum salad and then I had the daily risotto with mushrooms, shrimp and truffle oil and my husband had the fresh pasta with sausage, mushrooms and peas. Everything was fresh and flavorful. We topped off our dinner with the Limoncello dessert, refreshing and not too sweet! Who could want for more?Special Features:
- first timeluvItaliaDined on 7/29/2014Looking for another San Carlos spot, suggested this to a friend. We both thought our meals were excellent and authentic. He has traveled the world and pronounced his gnocchi the best he's ever had outside of Italy. Can't wait to return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good foodErikaVIPDined on 7/27/2014We have been to Positano many times, and the food and service are always good. We took our friend and he really like the pasta and salad. Desserts were good as well and they treat us with warm welcoming.Special Features:
- chicasVIPDined on 7/24/2014After shopping at then San Carlos farmers market it was nice to sit down a and enjoy a good bottle of wine, great delicious food, fun environment and a yummy desert to end the nightSpecial Features:
- Just okay food with poor serviceluvfoodVIPDined on 7/24/2014Thankfully, I had reservations and was seated right away. I ordered a glass of wine and didn't see it until 10 mins later. Service was poor. The lady taking our order appeared to be the manager. We ordered a salad to share. Nice thing, she split it for us. Each ordered a pasta dish that was bland and nothing to come back for. The main dish came out while the salad plate was still on table resulting in no space on the table (small table). The lady behaved as if it was our fault there wasn't room on the table for the meal. Never got a refill on drinks or water for that matter. To top it off, the lady asked "How you girls doing?" I had to glare at her and say "Excuse me?" It wasn't "Girls" it was me and my male friend! Not coming back!
- foodloverforlife64Dined on 7/24/2014Not sure why is the place is packed. There food is less than mediocre. I dined at Gusto the week before and it is great. How can 2 places owned by the same people be so different?
- Birthday LunchTheItalianGirlDined on 7/24/2014We had 13 guests for a birthday celebration. Filippo was a wonderful server. He explained the menu to everyone, recommended a wonderful Italian wine (Pinot Grigio), and was very patient with all the ladies. Some ordered the sausage pasta, the Marguerita Pizza and the breast of chicken. The portions were large and all the food was tasty. It was a warm day, so the ladies had a choice of Gaspacho cold soup or choice of salads. All the ladies loved their Italian style dishes.Special Features:
- DanCDined on 7/22/2014Locanda Positano is in a good location, right on a main downtown street, and finding a place to park is not difficult. It was a bit crowded and noisy, but the service was quite good, very attentive and cheerful. They have a great menu with lots of authentic Italian dishes from all parts of Italy. Their pappardelle pasta with wild boar ragu was fantastic! While I do prefer authentic Italian-style pizza over American versions, I thought their pizza was just so-so. Overall a very good restaurant, and I'll probably go back, but not quite one that I would rave about.Special Features:
- Awesome diningJudyADined on 7/20/2014Love this place! The food is incredible and super sweet ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Decent PickGreenSmoothieDined on 7/18/2014My husband ordered the Lasagna, which was ridiculously large and OK, per his tastes. I munched on the Margarita pizza which was absolutely delicious. The service was the highlight - very prompt and friendly, without overshadowing the table. I would recommend to try it at least once.Special Features:
- FantasticWanderlustVIPDined on 7/16/2014Great food, outstanding service, friendly staff . A taste of Italy in San Carlos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Great restaurant with great service. The ambiance and the food were delightful.Special Features:
- Great for Relaxed DinnerklinpvDined on 7/7/2014Dinner for 3 on a Monday night. Restaurant was active - close to full, though no one sitting at what looked to be a nice bar. Two or three tables were 4-top G'sNO - may be a market niche. Service was quick and attentive. Wine list good, 'market' pricing. 3 of us split 2 salads; peach & arugula salad (good) and a kale salad (excellent). Perfect quantity for the three of us. We had pizza's; all great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/28/2014My only negative comment is that a couple with a toddler (and stroller) were seated next to us, in very close proximity, after 9:00 p.m. when we were finishing our meal. This was the first and only child I have seen in the restaurant and it took away from our otherwise great experience. There were toys on the table and one of them went flying under our table. Great restaurant and bar environment that is really not a place for small children.Special Features:
- KdoeshairDined on 6/28/2014This place has just about the best service of any restaurant I've been to. So attentive, they make sure you are happy and have everything you need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodGrandmasAndGrandesToquesVIPDined on 6/19/2014Pretty good, but not great. Though perfectly enjoyable, and service was good, it doesn't live up to the marketing. Maybe they can fool the suburbanites, but it wouldn't play in SF. We were seated at next-door sister restaurant, Gusto, ordered from both menus. Look, there's lots to like, and they make a big deal about the chef's CV, but in reality most of the food is just OK with some definite high points. Having been to Gusto before, I was disappointed to learn the two were basically the same, and the unofficial second visit confirmed my original opinion. The chef likes to come out and introduced himself. He asked two elderly ladies next to us how the food was, they gave him bad news. I felt bad for him, but as they said, "He asked"Special Features:
- Good Italian Foodmls9Dined on 6/19/2014I went here with a friend and both our meals were just OK. It was a bit pricey but the service was very good. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend but it wouldn't be my first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints. Always good.WilsonAUSVIPDined on 6/18/2014This was my 4th visit here, and the food was great, and the service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2014This is our families second meal at Postiano. Service is exceptional. The wine list is amazing. The food is wonderful. I am looking forward To our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Excellent authentic Italian dishes. Friendly atmosphere and good service!Special Features:
- SERVICE was TERRIBLE!!GailDined on 6/12/2014The server AnnaLisa was not only incredibly "BAD"- we were completely ignored and had to flag her down for every request. She knowingly poured a substitue wine (wine ordered was not in stock) and did not mention it until we questioned the label. She said "oh, that was out of stock" and rolled her eyes. The 4 people in our party spent $150 on our dinner and there is no excuse for RUDE inattentive service when you are spending that kind of money on Pizza, Salad and a couple bottles of wine. As business owners and will not be bringing any of our clients to this establishment! Your server just cost you future business and a BAD reputation!Special Features:
- 1fanofdiningVIPDined on 6/11/2014Owner (or manager) was greeting customers, making sure all were taken care of, service was wonderful - food excellent.Special Features:
- Ristoranti a tutto bello...LocalFoodieDined on 6/5/2014The best authentic italian food from San Francisco to San Jose....there is no better food and no better service.... Spempre fantastico..........grazie Tulio e Enzo, Annalisa, Fabio e Philipo ...tutto la familia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy food, great service!WonderfulDined on 6/1/2014Tried for the first time for brunch, and we were all very happy with the food. Very friendly staff made the whole experience great. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- maybe mid week or lunchtastygirlVIPDined on 5/24/2014We went on Saturday night. We have been before and enjoyed it. This time though it was way too noisy. They need a bar above beside energetic. It was just plain loud and so hot. I wondered why they had the black industrial size fan at the bar. After awhile I realized why. Even the younger couple next to us. and she was in a sundress, said it was too hot. I might go back for lunch or try mid week..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 382 reviews are from the Locanda Positano - San Carlos reviews archive.
- Great Sservice and good foodErikaVIPDined on 5/16/2014We have been going there to eat for a while and never get disappointed. Food is consistently good no matter what you order, and service is always excellent. The onwers always welcome us personally. Definately the place to go back over and over again.Special Features:
- great food!RamblistDined on 5/15/2014Locanda Positano - San Carlos never seems to disappoint.Special Features:
- Not a great experience...SCResidentDined on 5/11/2014Our family went to Locanda Positano for Mother's Day and after being greeted warmly when we arrived, things went downhill from there. Our female server was disinterested from the moment we sat down, and we had to ask multiple times for parmesan cheese or water refills. The food was reminiscent of my bachelor days, with pasta made with little imagination and the taste indicative of limited cooking skills. Our kid's meals were plain pasta with butter sauce. Each meal's presentation was unimaginative with the food not at all memorable. The only menu item we did not try was the pizza, so I cannot attest to whether that was any better. To make matters worse, each meal was over $18. Try nearby Town or Sneakers if you want a better meal.
- Sunday brunchscfoodieVIPDined on 5/11/2014Went with extended family for Moms day brunch and exceeded our expectations ! Menu had many options and was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.