1110 Montana Avenue
Santa Monica, CA 90403Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.locandaportofino.com/
- Phone: 3103942070
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wine
A word from Locanda Portofino
Since 1995, passion and devotion keeps Locanda Portofino one of the most authentic Italian restaurants on the westside. Where freshness and quality collaborate to create traditional such as egg tagliatelle bolognese, flavorful Neapolitan meat ragu, exotic spaghetti with sea urchinContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Locanda Portofino - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Locanda Portofino reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)romantic (26)fit for foodies (25)special occasion (18)notable wine list (18)great for outdoor dining (17)great for lunch (7)hot spot (6)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Excellent food - $$$$ but worth itPhasorVIPDined on 10/18/2014My only complaint is the corkage fee of $40 is exorbitantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!ParisienneVIPDined on 9/26/2014One of our city's most delicious, warm, fun restaurants! Loved by all! The food is exquisite, the entire experience fabulous! Recommended for everyone, on all occasions. A real treasure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/22/2014Overall the food was very good, but way too pricey for what it is.Special Features:
- Good OverallDbrookmaVIPDined on 9/6/2014Good food, but poor service. Food takes far to long to come out, over an hour between salads and entree. The staff loves to hang out with their regulars, so if that makes you feel less than, or forgotten about, then this is not the place for you.Special Features:
- Came backcjbtoonzVIPDined on 8/29/2014We wen with another couple. We had both been early fans of Locanda Portofino, but a few years ago, and totally independently, we both had stopped going as it seemed to have become a poor value. By way of example, you shouldn't be charging folks over $20 for a fist-sized portion of pasta. And it would be nice if there were more than 1 or 2 option in each wine category that was less than $80. But the service was great. The food was really good. And it seemed the wine list was moderately expanded.Special Features:
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 8/23/2014The food was not as good as it has been on previous visits. The soup was salty, and both our entrees were lukewarm. Nobody even came by to check if everything was okay, in fact we never saw our waiter after he took our order, the food and check were delivered by other waiters. We will not be back.
- ExcellentbmcgDined on 8/16/2014This is a wonderful neighborhood resteraunt with authentic food and professional staff. The majority of the menu consists of simple Italian preperations executed at an extremely high level. Arguably the best Italian food in Los Angeles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!ParisienneVIPDined on 8/14/2014The best Italian food in Los Angeles, very warm, friendly atmosphere.Special Features:
- Locanda always has good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2014We have been here multiple times and always had a very good meal. Their pastas are really special and they will tweak the recipes to get it exactly how you want it prepared. We sat outside on a nice night. Even though it's in a parking lot on the Montana strip, it was very enjoyable. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- ExcellentBollyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Some of the best Italian in LA. My wife and love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like ItalyPickyVIPDined on 7/18/2014This trattoria reminds me of being in Italy or even New York. It's small, cozy and dark. The food is good, not great, but definitely pricey for what it is. A casual restaurant on Montana should offer better prices.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner on Montana AvenueDebraCADined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed our meal at Locanda Portofino last weekend. The spaghetti vongole was the best ever! Very pleasant ambience.Special Features:
- LikebuttaDined on 7/8/2014Always consistently great meals and knowledgeable waiters. Wonderful and complimentary wines to match a quality meal. The veal chop is hard not to keep ordering as it is prepared so perfectly. Only complaint was I ordered Sea bass and it came out first and was already cooled down from the kitchen .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentically ExcellentLou28DawnVIPDined on 6/25/2014Great Italian restaurant! The food, staff, and atmosphere was the real deal, this is completely authentic Italian. Our waiter was wonderfully attentive, but not intrusive, and his stories of "the homeland" added to our enjoyment of the evening. The evening specials added to an already complete and flavorful menu. I highly recommend this establishment.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood GemLadyJadyDined on 6/25/2014My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary with a weeknight dinner favorite. My seafood risotto was a little spicy but overall it was good. We remember the food being better but it could be because we were rushing home to relieve the babysitter. Times have changed.Special Features:
- Outstanding GemBillWVIPDined on 6/22/2014The food is excellent and the staff is attentive and friendly. Once you have been here a few times they treat you like family. This place is consistently outstanding.Special Features:
- The following 263 reviews are from the Locanda Portofino reviews archive.
- Good food, but a tad priceyBartenderDined on 6/20/2014We came here on the recommendation or a full-blooded Italian from Italy, not an Italian-American and she raved about the food. The food is definitely amazing. Pastas were so good!!!! The food was a little pricier that I'd thought for more of a neighborhood gem type place. But the pasta was good.Special Features:
- Italy or Santa Monica...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/10/2014Each time I eat here I wonder, am I in Italy or Santa Monica? The outside tables on a parking lot and view of a street, Professional wait staff that can be excellent or moody, (helps if you speak Italian) Relaxed food service that borders on did they forget us but totally encourages conversation and a meal celebration (Opposite of lets turn this table restaurants) It's expensive but worth the price. Locanda has been around forever because of the whole vibe as well as the outstanding food. You can imagine you're back in Italia enjoying a long meal with really, really good food. Relax, take your time and and enjoy your meal experience.Special Features:
- Don't be fooled by the strip mallLadoodieVIPDined on 5/30/2014Ignore the strip mall setting because this is one of the finest Italian restaurants you will have the pleasure of dining at. No kidding. Spaghetti with sea urchin, sounds gross, tastes amazing when they do it. If you are lucky enough to come on a day they have osso bucco, you would be mistaken not to order it. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff treats us like familysmonicaVIPDined on 5/25/2014We always eat here (early) with our young children and the staff treats us and our girls like we were family and (thankfully) tolerates our kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive but deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2014the patio is nice and the food is delicious ! we had a veal with lemon and capers and the taste was very fresh but small portion for 36 dollars. the wines are rather expensive but when we were there a few people brought their own wine (corkfee is 14doll). we did not know about this so spend more than 60 doll for 4 glasses of red wine. the service is fast and good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Extremely overpriced. The food was good, but not worth $75 for two pastas and water.Special Features:
- OverpricedOverpricedDined on 4/22/2014They charged me $40 for a 6oz piece of salmon! The food tasted ok, but was not worth the money. It reminded me of a tourist trap restaruant in rome.
- Over pricedKentEDined on 4/3/2014Went with my friend, a regular who frequents Locanda Portofino 2-3 times a month, we went on a Thursday night and the restaurant was busy. We were seated immediately but it took 30 minutes for the waiter to take our order. My baked cheese appetizer ($18) came lukewarm (cheese was warm, sauce was cool), seems like it was prepared beforehand and microwaved to order. My pasta ($28) was good but not extraordinary. Corkage was very high ($40) for LA. I won't return to Locanda.Special Features:
- Italian foodBollyVIPDined on 4/2/2014Best Italian in LA. Great little spot to enjoy a little vino and great food..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food excellent. AuthenticconohsirVIPDined on 3/31/2014food excellent. Authentic Italian. Very pricey esp lunch - $100 for two plates of pasta, one glass of house wine and a pellegrino!!Special Features:
- Ridiculously expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/28/2014The price point would indicate fine dining in an elegant setting. What you get is a neighborhood cafe with tiny portions with inflated prices.
- Dependable Quality and ServiceAJB435VIPDined on 3/25/2014Though I have only been here a few times, it has never disappointed. The food and service is excellent and it continues to serve the Santa Monica community for a number of years. I would definitely consider this as a staple Italian destination.Special Features:
- Genuine and authentic ItalianBLUEDined on 3/17/2014Genuine and authentic Italian food! Food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianCCDINERVIPDined on 3/16/2014A dinner for 4, with 2 bottles of Cervarro Della sala , delicious arugula salads, branzino and pasta..the bread does need to be upgraded...focaccia please!.....just the best.the room is small and can get noisy..but the feel is truly authentic and the long time waiters , Andrea, and Zoran are true professionals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Overpriced Poor AttitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/12/2014This is an overpriced restaurant with an attitude. We were never welcome, the service was poor and almost rude. I paid $200 for a meal that I could have gotten at any Italian restaurant in Santa Monica or Brentwood. The pasta was no better than Buca Di Beppo. I will never go back and we eat out all the time in every restaurant. Don't get me wrong, the food was good but $27 for a small portion of pasta? Thats just wrong with an attitude.Special Features:
- Excellent as always!MicheleDined on 2/28/2014I love this restaurant ! Food is great, really nice wines. Friendly and great service. Appreciate they have valet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Marsala was cold whenFoodieDined on 2/24/2014The Marsala was cold when served on a cold plate. THe oriechette was under cooked and as hard and as tasteless as a rock!
- A little touch of Europe in SMLAgourmandDined on 2/23/2014This was our second visit, and first for lunch. Immediately you feel transported to Italy by the intimate size of the restaurants two yo ohms and sidewalk seating. The service was rapid, professional and courteous - not overly bubbly and invasive as in some restaurants -- professional. The menu is extensive. We opted for pasta dishes, one was the special of the day: Spaghetti ala sea urchin. OMGosh!! This was a work of culinary art for the palate. Sublime blend of perfectly cooked pasta with a touch of olive oil, garlic and ever so slight tomato, capped with fresh Santa Barbara sea urchin. WOW!! We accompanied the meal with a lovely Chablis (1/2 bottle) and finished with a shared tiramisu. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to previous experiencelabelmanceVIPDined on 2/22/2014The Westside is swimming in Italian. I used to consider this restaurant in the top 10%. We came early in order catch the theater. The wait staff seemed distracted. Although reasonably attentive during the meal, we sat and sat and sat with totally empty plates for the longest time. The place was filling up so you'd think they'd appreciate the opportunity to have a table for four vacated. They did not seem understaffed. Just oblivious. They only asked if we wanted desert and/or coffee AFTER we had already asked for the check. The portions were small, though taste and presentation were very good. And the prices were exorbitant for what was presented. Not inline with restaurants of equal or even a bit higher status.
- Just the foodPalisadiandinerDined on 2/15/2014You go here for the caliber of food, not the ambiance. Staff is really friendly, but you can get a bit forgotten if you sit outside.Special Features:
- Locanda PortofinoAnthonyVIPDined on 2/5/2014Hidden gem in santa monica. Andrea and the guys that work there are some of the best waiters you will find. I dont look at a menu - i let them order the food and wine to match and they never disappoint! a must for anyone in santa monicaSpecial Features:
- over rated and over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/1/2014I have avoided this restaurant for years because I remembered that it was way overpriced, but decided to go when friends wanted to dine with us there.. I should have stayed home. The service was surly and mostly absent and the food is mediocre at best. The prices are off the charts. They try to be a cozy neighborhood spot, but it is anything but. I will NEVER return .
- Enjoyable!Love2eatVIPDined on 1/29/2014It's a nice spot for a dinner for two, maybe four, but too small and crowded for larger parties. We enjoy going for the intimate feel of the the place and the service is great. The food is a solid, but not exceptional. The italian wines are good. Romantic or for couples, not families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, authentic Italian foodKajRVIPDined on 1/28/2014Locanda Portofino has been our destination for those special occasions, and even not so special occasions. They always make it special. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. We always enjoy Zora's advice for selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.