Locanda Del Lago
231 Arizona Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Locanda Del Lago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lagosantamonica.com/
- Phone: (310) 451-3525
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michelin-Starred Gianfranco Minuz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Lago's services are available for private parties inside the restaurant or off-premises catering. Whether it's a business location or a party for family and friends, whether the event takes place at the restaurant or at the location of your choice, Lago's catering specialists will handle every detail.
- Special Events: Lago's services are available for private parties inside the restaurant or off-premises catering.
A word from Locanda Del Lago
Lago spotlights the cuisine of Bellagio on Lake Como, Northern Italy and features the ultimate upscale restaurant experience with exceptional flavors and meticulous, friendly service since opening in '91. It’s a favorite of foodies, celebrities, locals and travelers. The freshest seasonal ingredients available from the Santa Monica Farmer’s Market are served in traditional and innovative recipes, and pastas, focaccia, desserts and gelato are housemade daily. The popular bar offers Happy Hour nightly and distinctive Artisanal cocktails. Great patio with view of 3rd Street Promenade. Lago’s wine list has received an Award of Excellence from WINE SPECTATOR every year since 1995 and has over 400 selections from Italy and California. “Don’t miss the Ossobuco alla Milanese” - GOURMET. "There’s no better place to people-watch than at the outdoor patio” - FROMMERS. "Recommended" - MICHELIN. "Perfectly crafted pastas" – ZAGAT. "Best Italian Cuisine" – LOS ANGELES TIMES.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Locanda Del Lago - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
Locanda Del Lago reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (10)notable wine list (9)neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (8)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (4)late-night find (3)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fantastic local restaurantBrettDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I have been to Lago before but have mainly hung out at the bar with our friends. The staff is great here. Extremely friendly and help create a very relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere. The food is also fantastic. They make homemade pasta every day and it's unlikely that you'll pick something on the menu you won't enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea bass from heavenHospitality007Dined on 11/8/2014Try their chilean sea bass best I have had and great preparation experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable ItalianTolucanDined on 11/4/2014Good, old-fashioned Italian at this spot on the 3rd St Promenade in Santa Monica. Decor is fine, service was friendly and prompt without rushing, food is good and there is no attempt to spoil old-style recipes. Wine list is decent with a lot of variety in varietals and pricing. Lots of good Italian in Santa Monica, but this will be on my return list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDisgruntledVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had a great meal and great service. The ambience was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hungry BearHungrybearDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I dined outside and listened to some great music provided by one of the street musicians nearby. The ocean air was very comfortable and the ambience was great. I had their Lasagna with meat sauce and it was incredible! Susan enjoyed their Tagliatelle with boglognes sauce and loved it too. They make their own pastas and breads and use fresh produce from the open air market in the promenade. We had a small mixup,with our wine but they corrected it quickly and all was well. Their Tiramisu was not the best we've had and that would be the only less positive comment we would be able to make. Bear and SusanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian on 3rd St PromenadeDncee11Dined on 9/11/2014Very nice, busy spot in a hot location, lots of foot traffic. Great food in moderate portions. The house made pasta is terrific! Outside seats are fine but the 3rd St side is very busy - like being in a fish bowl. Overall very good and worth a visit if you are in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DannigirlDined on 9/6/2014We went for a batchelorette party dinner - got to watch the 3rd street promenade scene while dining on a fabulous dinner, My favorite was the taglitelle bolognese. Fabulous!!! Have a reasonably priced great wine list. Our servers were fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite place in Santa MonicaBlueRidgeFoodiesVIPDined on 8/22/2014We visit Santa Monica 3 or 4 times a year on business. We discovered Lago about two years ago. All the food is great but we always order the seasonal tasting menu and wine pairings. This was our 5th visit. Never the same food or wine but always the same quality and experience. Our waiter this time was Riccardo. He was fantastic! We won't be in the area again for about 6 months, but when we are you can bet we will visit again. It's too good to miss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014Consistent, friendly, convenient, good dining experience. Three of us had pasta that was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertVIPDined on 8/14/2014THE ITALIAN COBB SALAD was not nearly as good as it had been on previous dining occasions. The chicken in the salad was dried out and sparse!
- Mediocre Italian in Santa MonicaMichie9797Dined on 8/13/2014If you are looking for good Italian food and a great atmosphere this isn't the restaurant for you. The good his tasteless. Even our daughter thought the pizza wasn't good. That being said the warm bread served was delicious.Special Features:
- Solid kitchen, service a bit slowmelmorVIPDined on 8/2/2014We have eaten at this restaurant many times over many years. Given the handicap of its location, right on the 3rd street mall (a zoo), it does a good job. The pasta is quite good; bread outstanding; fish and meat dishes vary widely. Like most Los Angeles eateries, they overcook fish, even when asked not to. The wine-by-the-glass selection is also good. The service is friendly, if indifferent and a bit slow, although some waiters are much better than others.
- Great Santa Monica Promenade SpotNorCalGalDined on 8/2/2014Tried this restaurant for the first time to accommodate a family group of parents, grandparents and teens. It was perfect. Nice setting, convenient to local hotels, nice place to walk around and the food was great! We sampled many dishes for dinner. Excellent salads, nice chicken dish, pasta, pizza and delicious soup. Our server was very nice and attentive. Good, reliable food with lots of choices. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- The following 344 reviews are from the Locanda Del Lago reviews archive.
- Food great -service fantasticeagle2000VIPDined on 7/3/2014We truly enjoyed our dinner The stone fruit Branzino special was outstanding as was the pasta with meat sauce. Chrissie, our service, really made the evening. She was so knowledgeable as to food and wine but her personality was terrific. We highly recommend this restaurant for a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertVIPDined on 7/3/2014The Italian Cobb salads were excellent. I felt like I was in Florence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Locanda del Lago 6-28-14JaimitoDined on 6/28/2014The branzino looked and tasted like trout. The braise ribs had so much fat that I had to search very carefully to find the meat, though the sauce was very good and the small pieces of beef were very tender and tasty. The bread was excellent. We have been there a few times in the past and both food and ambiance were better.
- notamuncherVIPDined on 6/18/2014Starts with a genuine welcome smile. Friendly attentive staff. Menu with many choices and reasonable prices. Clearly this restaurant is now on my list of regular local dining venues.Special Features:
- tops of 3rd StreetDZIRVIPDined on 6/7/2014If you want good food this is the best place to eat on the promenade. It is one of the better Italian restaurants in Santa Monica. A tad tight in terms of seating but you expect that in this location. Wonderful wine list especially the Italians.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best beef carpaccio!luv2eatDined on 5/18/2014Beef carpaccio melted in my mouth! Pasta was very good. Overall very nice experience.Special Features:
- OK, but not greatStevoVIPDined on 5/17/2014Location and ambience are very good, but overall, that the food would match. Not so... Food was in the OK category.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Happy Hour Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Fabulous appetizers at reduced prices for Happy Hour as well as nice wines by the glass. "Best Burger that ever passed our lips" was the table consensus and the delicious Frito Misto easily fed two, for those on a budget who want to step out in a beautiful candlelit setting. Superb breads and a wonderful complimentary happy hour trout paté were a heavenly touch! Can't wait to go back! The beautiful space accommodated a large crowd without feeling crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic birthday dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/10/2014My husband and I enjoyed another fabulous meal at Locanda del Lago, all delicious dishes and great service in a beautiful setting. Always a pleasure!Special Features:
- Good foodWarrenDined on 3/28/2014Osso B., great but marrow was good. Spinach Ravioli awesome, Masi amarone wine excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch findPattiDined on 3/27/2014This time we had dinner and it was very good but lunch at Lago is my favorite. They have a terrific antipasti bar and several prix fixe lunch choices. And the antipasti bar can be part of the price fixe. Dinner at Lago is lovely but lunch is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locando del Lago SatisfiesmaggiemaeDined on 3/23/2014Well prepared food, great service and terrific people watching if you get a table at the window. There is a nice outdoor dining area, but when we were there, someone out on the Promenade was using a megaphone to shout his warnings about being hellbound, so we chose to sit inside. The burger is definitely not an afterthought and is really special. A spaghetti with seafood dish was al dente, seasoned to perfection and loaded with seafood. We'll be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food here is always excellentSurpriseVIPDined on 3/19/2014The food here is always excellent and of high quality. The owners are from Bellagio and they know what they are doing. It is truly northern Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good.cathieloloVIPDined on 3/19/2014Have been to Lago many times. This time wasn't the best. We were seated exactly where we asked not to be seated - in direct line of cold air from open door. The waiter was harried to infinity and mumbled the specials from about 6 feet away from us, so we couldn't hear what he was saying. Had to ask for parmesan for main courses. He was great when it came time for dessert and I asked for berries & whipped creme. That worked out spectacularly. Will definitely return - I think it was an off night. If it had been our first time to Lago, we may not have returned, but we realized it was just an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great valuesteakluvrDined on 3/19/2014We had high hopes sitting down at our table, but when the bread came it tasted odd and they started to fade. The prices on the menu were fairly substantial, so we expected our entrees to be delicious. They were not. My chicken was overcooked and the polenta dry and hard. The mushrooms were good, but for the price perhaps the addition of a few vegetables were in order. My husband said his entree was just "okay." We agreed there would not be a return visit. Disappointing.
- Enjoyed nice dinner at Lago,reviewVIPDined on 3/17/2014Enjoyed nice dinner at Lago, had the 3 Course Meal. We were told the fish on the 3 course was not available that evening but we did not want the guinea hen as the main course. Our server was kind enough to check and we were allowed to have the sea bass on the menu as a substitute. The salad was delicious, the pasta was tasty but kind of dry so a little hard to eat. Needed more sauce. The sea bass was excellent. We then decided to go for the dessert. My husband had the molten cake, he loved it. I had the panna cotta, I was a little disappointed with it. It was too firm, not light and soft in texture as I have had at various other restaurants. Maybe that is the way it turned out that evening. Our server was very nice and attentive.Special Features:
- Glorious RebirthRoonieDined on 3/3/2014Lago used to be a gourmet dining experience but then it went downhill and the number of customers did too. But now the combination of creative chefing, excellent management and superb service makes it a spot that's perfect to both enjoy ever changing seasonal specialties and good conversation. A spot that's both good for families who care about eating and romantics who also welcome the atmosphere. RoonieSpecial Features:
- Fresh and appealing foodERGIDined on 2/17/2014Food was served fresh and done up nicely. Great server with great knowledge. We had the frito misto appetizer and I had the filet mignon and my colleague had the chicken. When I am in the area I will definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location but food mediocreRubgDined on 2/15/2014Wanted to eat Italian in Santa Monica close to the Cirque du Soleil venue so picked Locanda Del Lago. Even though my party was early we were seated at a good table. Service was very good but disappointed with food. One person ordered short ribs, it was served at room temperature. Other person ordered filet mignon, nothing special about it at all. I ordered the fish stew, normally only served at lunch time but they were able to accommodate my selection. The stew was tasty but not very much of it. For the price we paid for dinner items, didn't feel we were getting our money worth.Special Features:
- Went on Valentine's Day andvinceDined on 2/14/2014Went on Valentine's Day and the place was extremely packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehKyleDined on 2/14/2014Food was overpriced and not up to the reputation or reviews we've read. Server felt bored and could have been more attentive and explained each course served, instead of just dropping them on the table and walking away. Drinks were not very well made either. Overall, disappointed.
- santa monica favoriteEGeatsDined on 2/11/2014Great location on the promenade, consistently good food, wine and service make "Lago" one of my "go to" places. My gluten-intolerant friend was very pleased that they can make a number of their dishes gluten-free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was worth itIwillNOTsayMYmagazineCRITDined on 2/8/2014The place was nice and the server was really good with us. My girlfriend wanted wine options and that's exactly what she got. She loved the wine, bread and filet mignon. The vegetable lasagne is a must try. We had a fun night and the best part of our dinner was the service. We got there early and they took us though it was a packed house. The place is pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice solid restaurantRolfDined on 2/1/2014Date night - nice atmosphere - great location! It's loud, but has a nice ambiance. Tables for two are VERY crowded even before the food arrives (try to get a larger one if available). Food was overall very good scallops++ beet salad++ had a Taggelioni (spelled wrong) thing which was wide noodle pasta, and a meat sauce - no real red/white sauce - just a meat sauce - which was odd, and didn't work for us - I could see it as being great though if we said do that meat sauce, but put red and white with it (pink) - or just red... Service wasn't great - but wasn't horrible - our waiter had a hard time with English - but he tried... It was very busy that night. I'd go again if in the area...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining on 3rd street promenadLonewolfVIPDined on 1/28/2014Veal carpaccio and fish prepared livornese style was outstanding!! Very impressed iwth the quality of food on the Dine LA menu. Loved this lunch!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/27/2014Wow! This is an incredible restaurant. We made a reservation through Open Table and were seated immediately. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu. I had the whole mediterranean seabass. Excellent tableside presentation. My wife had the Chilean Sea bass. Cooked just right. Very tender and moist. Great selection on the wine list. This was a memorable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely exceptional meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/25/2014My husband and I have been to Locanda del Lago a number of times over the past 7 years, usually once every visit to L.A. before we moved here. This time, unbeknownst to the restaurant staff, we were celebrating some special milestones and also happened to pop in during DineLA. So glad that we did, because from start to finish, this was one of the best and most memorable meals we've had in L.A. From the burrata with squash and prosciutto to the beet infused gnocchi (hope it's added to the menu) and sea salt crusted sea bass to the lovely lemon sponge cake and panna cotta, the food was absolutely exceptional. All fresh and farm-to-table, the tastes were simply delectable. Can't wait to go back more often now that we live on the west side!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.