33-02 34th Ave.
Astoria, NY 11106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.localeastoria.com/main.html
- Phone: (718) 729-9080
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Jesse Davis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Locale
Locale Restaurant is located in the heart of Astoria NY. It's style reflects the neighborhood, modern, yet multi-cultural chic aspect, which has become a signature of present day Astoria. Locale's menu is true rustic Italian flair with modern technique.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Locale - Best Restaurants in Astoria ›
Locale reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (25)great for outdoor dining (20)romantic (18)great for brunch (12)special occasion (10)hot spot (7)good for groups (6)great for lunch (6)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Not What I RememberedDisappointedDined on 11/16/2014I haven't been to Locale in about a year. In the past, I've been for both dinner and brunch. When my friend offered to meet out in Astoria for brunch, last Sunday, I suggested Locale as I remembered liking the menu, atmosphere and service. I'm not sure if they were just short-staffed on 11/16, if there was new staff, or they are always this disorganized - but the service was terrible. Once seated, we were greeted and asked if we would like coffee. 10 minutes later, the table next to us was seated and received coffee and placed their order before our coffee even arrived The food was not hot when served, and it took another 10 minutes of hunting down our server to get a re-fill on our coffee (which didn't come until the end of our meal) It was busy, but not busy enough that I could justify the bad service. If this is the "new" Locale, I will not be returning.
- Excellentlen126VIPDined on 11/10/2014Comfortable and stylish. We sat in a raised seating area that afforded a nice view of the interior and the bar area. Great drinks, excellent service, very reasonable prices and well-prepared and interesting food choices. A very nice dining experience.
- GreatKmoneyDined on 11/8/2014Really enjoyed Saturday date night here. Our waitress Anna was super friendly and we enjoyed her smile and suggestions from the menu. The music was perfect for the setting. The restaurant is two sides of windows and so For someone like me, who is always freezing, I would recommend asking for a table more inside or having your bf sit on the window side of table. Other than that it was a great place for a date with some Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in the borough!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I found Locale while searching open table for a reservation for my anniversary. By far this has to be the best modern Italian cuisine in the borough. The staff is gracious, bartender is great and the chef has created an amazing menu. Can't wait to go back and bring my family and friends.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/23/2014We revisited Locale on a return trip to NYC. We even got an old friend who never leaves Manhattan to join us. Our meal was outstanding (I had the seafood pasta), an the service great. When we return to NYC again - we'll make the trip to Locale.Special Features:
- scrumptious, great date placeDivineFoodOnlyDined on 10/23/2014Excellent and creatively prepared,Locale is a dining pleasure.The best brussel sprout salad anywhere has left me longing to return.The mildly spiced chicken, perfectly prepared and nesting on a medley of seasonal vegetables, redifined common poultry. Every mouthful, exploding with flavor had me impatiently wanting more. My friend begrudgingly shared a crisply tender baby lamb rib, and I will never eat beef ribs again.The large portions, unfortunately precluded dessert, next time... I can't wait for next time! The decor oozes charm like a 19th century European cafe frequented by Emile Zola and Cezanne. A great place to bring a date, if there is a lull in the conversation, you can talk about the silent movies projected on the wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch is a findNoisyVIPDined on 10/19/2014Brunch includes standbys as well as Locle signature crostini adapted for brunch and amazing riffs on eggs benedict. Good stong coffee too!Special Features:
- Things changeEddieVIPDined on 10/10/2014As some of you may know, Locale underwent a change in management earlier this year. Much of the change has been gradual and as a long time customer, I do feel that now, 10 months later, the place is totally transformed. That, I would say, is mostly a good thing. There was something about an independent operation that added to this restaurant's character. The routinization and management has given the place a very impersonal feel which is regrettable. That's not to say that the restaurant is not worth going to- it absolutely is and when you do make sure to get the lamb meatballs- but I do feel that some of the character has been lost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried itKABHDined on 10/9/2014We needed a restaurant in Queens coming back from LGA. It was exactly what we were looking for. Good neighborhood place with a cool vibe and good food. Friendly service. We were all more than satisfied.Special Features:
- NoisyVIPDined on 10/5/2014Food is inventive, well-priced and served by friendly serversSpecial Features:
- Culinary MasterpieceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/3/2014After my 4th visit to Locale I decided to write a review about the new and re-designed menu of this neighborhood gem. The food has a world class presentation and flavor, the homemade Papardelle put some of the pasta dishes I've had at Babbo and others of the like to shame. The salmon was cooked perfectly and served in a flavorful tomato broth with lobster ravoili. The staff is efficient and always pleasant. This is quickly becoming my favorite restaurant in Astoria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new menuJawnDined on 10/2/2014After spending 3 weeks in Italy, I can honestly say that Locale's menu has many of the flavors of Italy with a modern twist. The crostini with butternut squash, marscapone, cheese, and lime was amazing. I also had the sea bass which was prepared perfectly with a nice crust on the skin.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gem...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/12/2014This isn't only a great 'local' find (pun intended), it's also worth the trek in from Manhattan or Brooklyn. The pastas especially are well nuanced, rich in flavor (the tagliatelle screams lobster!), & expertly prepared. The outdoor tables are ideal for an alfresco view of the vibrant neighborhood. And the movies playing over the bar are a great conversation starter if you're hanging by the bar. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Inventive, interesting and very tasty food in a lovely settingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/4/2014While visiting NYC for the US Open came upon this gem during an evening stroll in the neighborhood. It was so good we opted to return the following evening to try more dishes on the menu. The food was fabulous, and the staff and the service outstanding. We even had the pleasure of meeting the owner/chef John Parlatore our second evening. In two evenings we went through the Goat Cheese Ravioli, Crispy Gnocci, Tagliatelle Aragosta, Spaghetti, Meatballs and several Crostini. All were outstanding. Next time we are in NYC (even if it's not in Astoria) - we will make a return trip to Locale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good brunch/lunch spotmweezyDined on 8/31/2014Relaxed atmosphere. Don't remember anything notable about the decor but it's a nice low key setting, kind of like a cafe. Would have sat outside, it has nice outdoor seating out front but it was just too hot that day. Had a really good eggs Benedict. Can't speak to the cocktails but they're probably good since the sign out front says: "Brunch without booze is just a sad late breakfast"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnernyfoodieDined on 8/25/2014Tried this place for dinner with my girlfriend and it was wonderful. We started with cocktails at the bar where they were projecting a movie on the wall, specialty cocktails were seasonal and refreshing. We decided to eat dinner outside to enjoy the nice weather and quaint neighborhood vibe. The service was excellent as was the food, I had the veal Milanese and it was juicy and succulent. Would definitely recommend this place for a nice dinner and can't wait to come back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary ExperienceNeoclassicismDined on 8/14/2014My partner and I celebrated our two year anniversary at Locale and had a wonderful time. The food was delicious (in fact, I think it was the best gnocchi I've ever eaten), and the service was wonderful. They were very attentive and made sure we had a lovely anniversary. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!DebbieDined on 8/11/2014We were looking for a restaurant in the Long Is City/Astoria area after a long day in Manhattan. Came across Locale on Open Table and thought we would give it a try. What a great neighborhood gem! Staff was welcoming and attentive. Food was delicious and ambience was great. I can't think of a better place to have spent the evening!Special Features:
- A pleasant surprisechefboyarveeVIPDined on 8/8/2014Booked a reservation here not expecting much but was very glad I did. Great ambiance with dim candle-lighting. Drinks were on point, I went the bourbon route and had the gunslinger, respect your elders and the bartenders special concoction. The food did not disappoint, most notably the Balsamic Glazed Lamb Ribs (unreal, fall off the bone goodness) and Atlantic Salmon (the crispy top layer adds great texture to the dish, not to mention the lobster gnocchi which was perfectly cooked). My girlfriend had the Tagliatelle Aragosta which had a decent amount of lobster in it and the pasta was again cooked to perfection. I have my eyes on the Goat Cheese Ravioli and Orechiette next time..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Italian food!!GitzDined on 8/6/2014The food is too good!!Service is really nice. The house made pastas are must try.Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Engagement CelebrationBennyDined on 8/3/2014We were celebrating our recent engagement,and started at a party of 2. Adjusted to 4, then 6, 8 and FINALLY 10. Every single time we called the staff was completely accommodating! Could not have asked for a better experience. The entire family enjoyed themselves. The staff was cordial, patient with a large group and so sweet. I thank you again, Locale. We will be back!Special Features:
- The following 113 reviews are from the Locale reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014Great find in Astoria. Reasonable prices, great food and friendly staff. Sunday brunch was packed recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Good brunchThetaSigmaVIPDined on 7/20/2014I went here for brunch. The outside tables are nice, the food is good, and the service is good, but the portions were small. Both me and my girlfriend thought the omelettes were very small compared to any other omelettes we've ever had.Special Features:
- NoisyVIPDined on 7/5/2014What a great find! The gnocchi was some of the best I've had, and all the food was fresh and had an interesting (but always authentic) modern twist. Beers were interesting, wine list good. I'd definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who Knew???WhineNDineDined on 7/1/2014Locale is the best kept local in Astoria. Great care is taken with food preparation and the staff was accommodating. The crostini were as good as any I've had in Umbria and the fish dishes were outstanding. Very reasonable corkage fee makes it an outstanding value. We'll be back often.Special Features:
- fine dinnernyfoodieDined on 6/17/2014Went for dinner the other night their service and food was fantastic. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING!BennyDined on 6/16/2014Was celebrating a 6yr. Anniversary with my love and it was an absolute GREAT time/experience. Food was amazing (compliments to the chef!). Service was perfect, attentive and suggestive to items on the menu. Great scenic view to enjoy the sun setting over the neighborhood. Will DEFINITELY be back...soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Local RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014I have been to Locale three times in the last three months and each time have brought friends. The food, drinks and service are outstanding. What a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfect!AlitzapiaVIPDined on 4/24/2014Celebrated a birthday,....lovely ambiance, very attentive staff, all done with plenty of smile. Just perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best place in AstoriaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/23/2014black linguine is out of this world!!! Italian food like grandma makes!Special Features:
- Delicious and Great ServiceGunnyDined on 4/5/2014The food was excellent: the shaved Brussels sprouts appetizer is both brilliant and delicious. The Linguine Nero was just the right amount of spicy. Locale is the kind of restaurant you want to come back to so you can try every single menu item. The space is great with huge windows looking out onto the street. Most of all, we had a great experience with the staff. Even on a busy Saturday night, they were able to accommodate our somewhat-rushed timeline to catch a movie. Couldn't ask for a better night of food and can't to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a new local favoritejim2dineVIPDined on 3/24/2014Fantastic. Food . Service .. price . Make it a point to get here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findfoodlvrVIPDined on 3/21/2014Great place for a birthday celebration. Great food, great service. Check it out.Special Features:
- Exellent place and food!!!!LovelynightDined on 2/21/2014The food was amazing super delicious. The personnel very attentive. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2014Locale is a home run. The new Chef and Management has really upped the game and every menu selection we tried was outstanding. Service was completely on point and the vibe was great. Excellent spot, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!MikeDined on 2/9/2014Had an awesome brunch date here. Great environment, friendly staff, interesting menu. Good stuff!Special Features:
- Food is good, servers don't careAPAPVIPDined on 2/2/2014We were not able to make a reservation for 4 with several tables being available once we arrived. When we were seated it was very drafty at our table due to absence of outer door. So every time clients would come in or out - it would be cold to the extend that we had to have our coats on shoulders. Given it was a very warm February day, we were lucky. We asked to be moved - staff did not put any effort to accommodate us. Food was good, but not good enough to get over the discomfort of the chill.
- Adorable!CandyVIPDined on 1/26/2014My friend and I went here because we tried to go somewhere else but the wait was too long and that was the best thing that could have happened! We went for brunch an the food was awesome, service was great and the ambiance was lovely for a cute date or hang out with a girlfriend! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, romantic spot for a dateLucasDined on 1/23/2014It was a great spot for a midweek date! Quiet, cozy, and a lovely menu. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.