2936 Elm Street
Dallas, TX 75226Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.localdallas.com/
- Phone: 2147527500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tracy Miller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Large events only.
A word from Local
Housed in the Historic Boyd Hotel, Local offers an upscale modern American menu. Our cuisine is seasonally focused, uncluttered and executed with precision. We use the highest quality and freshest ingredients, such as meat products from Niman Ranch and seafood from Connolly's in Boston. Many dishes feature breads made from scratch and all of our desserts, including our sorbets and ice cream, are made in-house. Never overbearing, entrees are innovative yet classic, simple yet refined.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Local - Best Restaurants in Deep Ellum ›
Local reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (30)special occasion (27)good for groups (8)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good atmospheresaraDined on 10/25/2014We loved the atmosphere in this place. So happy to have a fine-dining establishment in the neighborhood. We are both vegetarians, so we had to piece together our meals with sides and small plates. Disappointing that they don't offer a vegetarian entree--I hope that changes. All in all, though, we had a good meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/25/2014We have been to Local 3 times. The food brings us back but the indifferent service and in some cases the borderline hostility drives us away. The food is not special enough to outweigh the disappointing service. Not recommended.Special Features:
- still love those green beansfoodieVIPDined on 10/25/2014The fried green beans are great to start. The steaks were apparently good as everyone in our party devoured them in no time. I had the tuna tartare, which was good, although I'd prefer a spicier version. Service was on again, off again. I had the feeling she was waiting on tables in another room, and therefore unable to be completely attentive to us. We would go back.Special Features:
- Incredible find in Dallas!!!!musicandwineVIPDined on 10/24/2014We were pleasantly surprised with this restaurant. The food was amazing and served by the chef/owner, a nice personal touch! We had the seven course menu and wine pairing which is an amazing deal for the quality. The wine list is small and most pairings worked very well. As foodies, we have dined at some of the best restaurants in the world and surprised we had never heard of this gem in Dallas.Special Features:
- LOCAL should be NATIONALDonnaDined on 10/21/2014My friend and I had the Chef's Tasting -- it was simply MAGNIFICENT!! The service, by Chef Tracy Miller herself, was impeccable. Wine was notable and everything was GREAT. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDRinDallasVIPDined on 10/16/2014We loved Local. The food and service were great. The chef/owner came to our table. Don't let the neighborhood construction scare you off. One of our new Dallas favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Restaurant Rocks Local FoodDallasDinahDined on 9/26/2014Our early dinner at Local was my first. I'm sorry I've missed out on Chef Tracy Miller's food, but so glad I know about her cooking now! Drinks @ bar: Charming, knowledgeable bartender who suggested a champagne cocktail. It's crisp, not sweet--wine served over grapefruit & rosemary sorbet. Tiny dishes of warm nuts and an amuse-bouche of celeriac soup w/crisped carrot. So good. My dino kale, grilled radicchio, pear tomatoes caesar-type salad was earthy contrast followed by perfectly seared scallops. Hub's steak--medium rare with best potato combo of potato, gorgonzola and tomatoes. Our friend's evening special--beef short ribs--tender, flavorful. We had theater tix; had to skip dessert. But I'm planning the next visit.Special Features:
- Good Food @ LocalNitsbagDined on 9/20/2014We had the seven course tasting menu w/ wine pairings. Wine was well matched with each course. All the courses were good and some were excellent - especially the steak. Same with the wine pairings with the California Cab being the best. Service was good and friendly. The decor and ambiance are good, although the acoustics could have been a little better. There was a party of eight celebrating a birthday in close proximity to us who were obnoxiously loud which was the biggest negative of the night. The only other issue was the lack of a liquor license - wine and beer are available, but no hard liquor. The "prosecco" mojito was overpriced at $13.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceIllyPantsDined on 9/13/2014The service was fantastic. Kind staff who gave more than they needed to. The food was delicious. The Mac N Cheese...so creamy and rich flavor. Steaks were cooked to perfection. Wonderful plate combinations. Our friends wished more crab cakes came with their dishes because they said, it was the best they ever had. The only item we wouldn't order again were the tator tots, a bit dry. Overall, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet StuffOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/12/2014Putting it mildly, this is not a good restaurant. No bar and an indifferent wine list. Can you say oxidized wines? All the food tends to sweet to very sweet. Skip dinner. Go you dessert.
- Amazing experience!DallasDinetteVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was absolutely incredible with great service. Everything came out hot and fresh and you could tell everything was made to order. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect ambiance for a perfect dayeat4healthDined on 9/6/2014We had family come into town and needed a reservation for 7 around 8. Every spot in town was taken. But what a Gem is Local! Ambiance was casual but sophisticated. The servers were friendly and knowledgeable. The food was amazing so many flavors. The mint ice cream was especially perfect, light and full of flavor. This will definitely be one of our go to places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't let the exterior fool youOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/5/2014It was our first time but certainly not our last. The food is creative, flavorful, and suitable for just about any pallet. There was something for everyone and we will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for drinks, skip the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014The ambiance was great so upon seating we were excited and happy with our decision to dine here. Sadly, most of our food arrived either cold or too hot to eat, which led us to believe some plates were left to sit in the window waiting for the others to be ready. Spent over $500 and left very disappointed. Best thing was the wine and local beer selection.Special Features:
- Great place!!VictorDined on 8/30/2014A little hard to find due to construction, but once inside everything was perfect. We did the 7 course chef tasting w/ wine pairings and everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great IntroThomas2VIPDined on 8/23/2014This was our first dining experience at Local, and the food was outstanding! The ambiance is low-keyed and dress is casual, but everything that we ate was absolutely terrific. Our waiter did not rush us, and the pace of the meal was liesurely. Appetizers were generous portions, with the chef sending out two small appetizers that were not on the menu. The halibut that we both had was a moderate portion, but the fish was done and seasoned to perfection. The experience was great, and we look forward to visiting again soon in the near future.Special Features:
- Food to Rave AboutNuts4foodDined on 8/20/2014My hubbie and I enjoyed our anniversary dinner at Local, and the food was stunning. Presented beautifully, but more importantly, every bite was delicious. We had two servers, and the first one was a bit annoyed with my indecisiveness. Also, she assumed I knew nothing about food, which annoyed me. Thankfully, our second server was more relaxed and introduced me to my new favorite drink: Michelada! I love how the chef served a lot of the food as well. I do appreciate the chef being okay with my husband ordering the "Chef's Tasting Menu" and me ordering off the other menu. We enjoyed tasting each other's specials, esp. the halibut! The food is worth every penny and a great place to celebrate local food and the ones you love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Local!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is truly a gem in a very cool up and coming neighborhood in Dallas! The food was perfect! The fredo for dessert was unbelievable. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- SuperbJaychikDined on 7/29/2014We went there mid week for a romantic dinner. The service was great and the food was superb. I loved the decor and the feel of Elm Street. This is a bit of a hidden Gem as it would easy to drive past it and not know what is inside. I found it off a list of top 20 places to eat in Dallas.Special Features:
- Best in DallasJDP1Dined on 7/18/2014The best dining experience and food I have had in Dallas. Everything from the elegant ambiance to the carefully prepared and assembled food to the thoughtful service was exceptionalSpecial Features:
- Was it simply a bad nght or iswhatthedickensDined on 7/12/2014After having read glowing reviews about local over the years, we were looking forward to dinner there.
- The following 650 reviews are from the Local reviews archive.
- EXCELLENT FOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great service too. Local will definitely be on our list of special occasion dining.Special Features:
- A bit underwhelmedMM2008Dined on 6/26/2014After wanting to try Local for several months, we finally had an opportunity before catching a show at the Majestic. Upon entering, we quickly realized that we were the only ones in the restaurant. Granted it was only 6:00, but it didn't seem to pick up much in the hour and a half that we were there. The head chef did personally come out and set our plates for our appetizers, and did stop by a few times, which was a nice touch. Unfortunately, for the money, I've had better experiences. It's definitely worth experiencing, at least once, but it certainly isn't on my short list of places to go back to.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceDallasiteVIPDined on 6/20/2014Local has some of the best food in Dallas. The food is consistently excellent each visit. I won't list all my fave dishes because they all shine. The ambiance is romantic and comfortable. We tried the tasting menu with wine pairings this visit and were impressed even more than usual. The courses had a great flow, building where they should. The wine pairings were perfect. An outstanding dining experience not to be missed. The chef owner is always present in the restaurant and I think this keeps the quality of food and service very high. There are so many small touches Local has that make it a memorable and special dining experience. Men, this is the place to take the special lady in your life when you want to impress her or celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceDebsDined on 6/14/2014It was a last minute decision to go there as a couple- we had been several years ago with a big group- and we were very impressed by the food and the service. We both ordered the tasting menu with paired wines, which was an excellent choice. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decadent food experienceTexasPeachDined on 6/7/2014Every bite was delightful. The food was so flavorful well thought out. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, fresh and light!ValerinaDined on 6/7/2014The service was incredible. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and pleasant. Each course was served with care and great timing. The food was outstanding. Fresh, light and so delicious for summer. I love this place and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for dinnermonkey501VIPDined on 6/7/2014food was very good quality and enjoyed conversations with owner/chef. Nice people and a good find. Resonable price. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- YummyPickEaterDined on 5/31/2014Have been several times, but on this occasion brought my mom. Very attentive service. She wanted a sweet wine so they brought her a sample to make sure she liked it. Tried the beef special. It was good, but I prefer the on menu beef dish. Always love the fried green beans! Always a fun treat to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/29/2014Ate their solo on a business trip. Every element of the dinner was outstanding. Nice special touches - amuse bouche soup to start and shortbread to close. Outrageously good sea bass and grilled squash/zuchinni - and I don't usually like those vegetables. Couldn't be happier that I walked into this neighborhood just for this restaurant.Special Features:
- A local gemAntoDined on 5/24/2014The taster menu with wine pairings was excellent, as always!Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/20/2014Green been appetizer was too thick with breaking. Wine list too pricey.Special Features:
- Great MealbencVIPDined on 5/3/2014Great food. Great service. Friendly staff. Went here for an anniversary dinner (special occasion), which was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine Localkjones25Dined on 4/25/2014We went for our anniversary and both did the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. It was outstanding and the service was incredible. We're lucky to have a restaurant like this in the neighborhood! It was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local more than fare!sunmantxDined on 4/19/2014Local is a great little place with amazing good and service. In the heart of Deep Ellum, Local is great for small groups or a couple night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food average serviceLAWRENCEDined on 4/19/2014We attending LOCAL on Sat night prior to going to the theatre. As are reservations were at 5:30 there were few others in the restaurant. The Decor was minimalist. The menu was pefect. There were enough options to choose from and the descriptions were accurate . The beet salad and Ahi Tuna appetizer were excellent. The Lobster Cakes and Halibut were also excellently prepared altough minimal, like the decor. Order side dishes if you are used to a lager meal. We ordered a Pouilley Fuisse french chardonnay that was excellent although way over prised at $75. Overall the experience was good but pricey.Special Features:
- Always a winner!WonderfulVIPDined on 4/15/2014Celebrated my wife's birthday on a Tuesday night. Food and atmosphere terrific. Chef Miller does a fantastic job. Would highly recommend for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Engagement dinner successRosta234Dined on 4/12/2014My girlfriend and I had been to Local for a friends Birthday Party so I knew this place had romantic possibilities. We ordered the 7 course meal with wine. Between one of the coursed we took an intermission to the bar area where I asked her to marry me and she said yes. The staff and other diners made it very special. The food and atmosphere was exceptional. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the KnowHerbDined on 4/4/2014In a highly competitive market, Local stands out with consistently interesting, approachable and unique dishes. Tracy puts flavors together in imaginative ways I haven't seen anywhere else in Dallas. The environment is stylish and comfortable. Dining here you feel like you've found something amazing without all the promotional hype of the usual 5 star restaurant. Obviously a favorite.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinnerBigDFoodieDined on 4/1/2014We had a wonderful time. As always, great food, service, and atmosphere! I will definitely be back and will share with friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.