2936 Elm Street
Dallas, TX 75226Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.localdallas.com/
- Phone: 2147527500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tracy Miller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Large events only.
A word from Local
Housed in the Historic Boyd Hotel, Local offers an upscale modern American menu. Our cuisine is seasonally focused, uncluttered and executed with precision. We use the highest quality and freshest ingredients, such as meat products from Niman Ranch and seafood from Connolly's in Boston. Many dishes feature breads made from scratch and all of our desserts, including our sorbets and ice cream, are made in-house. Never overbearing, entrees are innovative yet classic, simple yet refined.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Local - Best Restaurants in Deep Ellum ›
Local reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)fit for foodies (33)romantic (27)neighborhood gem (25)notable wine list (8)good for groups (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- Loved Local!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant is truly a gem in a very cool up and coming neighborhood in Dallas! The food was perfect! The fredo for dessert was unbelievable. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- SuperbJaychikDined on 7/29/2014We went there mid week for a romantic dinner. The service was great and the food was superb. I loved the decor and the feel of Elm Street. This is a bit of a hidden Gem as it would easy to drive past it and not know what is inside. I found it off a list of top 20 places to eat in Dallas.Special Features:
- Best in DallasJDP1Dined on 7/18/2014The best dining experience and food I have had in Dallas. Everything from the elegant ambiance to the carefully prepared and assembled food to the thoughtful service was exceptionalSpecial Features:
- Was it simply a bad nght or iswhatthedickensDined on 7/12/2014After having read glowing reviews about local over the years, we were looking forward to dinner there.
- EXCELLENT FOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/28/2014Great service too. Local will definitely be on our list of special occasion dining.Special Features:
- A bit underwhelmedMM2008Dined on 6/26/2014After wanting to try Local for several months, we finally had an opportunity before catching a show at the Majestic. Upon entering, we quickly realized that we were the only ones in the restaurant. Granted it was only 6:00, but it didn't seem to pick up much in the hour and a half that we were there. The head chef did personally come out and set our plates for our appetizers, and did stop by a few times, which was a nice touch. Unfortunately, for the money, I've had better experiences. It's definitely worth experiencing, at least once, but it certainly isn't on my short list of places to go back to.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceDallasiteVIPDined on 6/20/2014Local has some of the best food in Dallas. The food is consistently excellent each visit. I won't list all my fave dishes because they all shine. The ambiance is romantic and comfortable. We tried the tasting menu with wine pairings this visit and were impressed even more than usual. The courses had a great flow, building where they should. The wine pairings were perfect. An outstanding dining experience not to be missed. The chef owner is always present in the restaurant and I think this keeps the quality of food and service very high. There are so many small touches Local has that make it a memorable and special dining experience. Men, this is the place to take the special lady in your life when you want to impress her or celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceDebsDined on 6/14/2014It was a last minute decision to go there as a couple- we had been several years ago with a big group- and we were very impressed by the food and the service. We both ordered the tasting menu with paired wines, which was an excellent choice. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decadent food experienceTexasPeachDined on 6/7/2014Every bite was delightful. The food was so flavorful well thought out. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, fresh and light!ValerinaDined on 6/7/2014The service was incredible. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and pleasant. Each course was served with care and great timing. The food was outstanding. Fresh, light and so delicious for summer. I love this place and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for dinnermonkey501Dined on 6/7/2014food was very good quality and enjoyed conversations with owner/chef. Nice people and a good find. Resonable price. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- YummyPickEaterDined on 5/31/2014Have been several times, but on this occasion brought my mom. Very attentive service. She wanted a sweet wine so they brought her a sample to make sure she liked it. Tried the beef special. It was good, but I prefer the on menu beef dish. Always love the fried green beans! Always a fun treat to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 5/29/2014Ate their solo on a business trip. Every element of the dinner was outstanding. Nice special touches - amuse bouche soup to start and shortbread to close. Outrageously good sea bass and grilled squash/zuchinni - and I don't usually like those vegetables. Couldn't be happier that I walked into this neighborhood just for this restaurant.Special Features:
- A local gemAntoDined on 5/24/2014The taster menu with wine pairings was excellent, as always!Special Features:
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/20/2014Green been appetizer was too thick with breaking. Wine list too pricey.Special Features:
- Great MealbencDined on 5/3/2014Great food. Great service. Friendly staff. Went here for an anniversary dinner (special occasion), which was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine Localkjones25Dined on 4/25/2014We went for our anniversary and both did the chef's tasting menu with wine pairings. It was outstanding and the service was incredible. We're lucky to have a restaurant like this in the neighborhood! It was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 637 reviews are from the Local reviews archive.
- Local more than fare!sunmantxDined on 4/19/2014Local is a great little place with amazing good and service. In the heart of Deep Ellum, Local is great for small groups or a couple night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food average serviceLAWRENCEDined on 4/19/2014We attending LOCAL on Sat night prior to going to the theatre. As are reservations were at 5:30 there were few others in the restaurant. The Decor was minimalist. The menu was pefect. There were enough options to choose from and the descriptions were accurate . The beet salad and Ahi Tuna appetizer were excellent. The Lobster Cakes and Halibut were also excellently prepared altough minimal, like the decor. Order side dishes if you are used to a lager meal. We ordered a Pouilley Fuisse french chardonnay that was excellent although way over prised at $75. Overall the experience was good but pricey.Special Features:
- Always a winner!WonderfulVIPDined on 4/15/2014Celebrated my wife's birthday on a Tuesday night. Food and atmosphere terrific. Chef Miller does a fantastic job. Would highly recommend for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Engagement dinner successRosta234Dined on 4/12/2014My girlfriend and I had been to Local for a friends Birthday Party so I knew this place had romantic possibilities. We ordered the 7 course meal with wine. Between one of the coursed we took an intermission to the bar area where I asked her to marry me and she said yes. The staff and other diners made it very special. The food and atmosphere was exceptional. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the KnowHerbDined on 4/4/2014In a highly competitive market, Local stands out with consistently interesting, approachable and unique dishes. Tracy puts flavors together in imaginative ways I haven't seen anywhere else in Dallas. The environment is stylish and comfortable. Dining here you feel like you've found something amazing without all the promotional hype of the usual 5 star restaurant. Obviously a favorite.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinnerBigDFoodieDined on 4/1/2014We had a wonderful time. As always, great food, service, and atmosphere! I will definitely be back and will share with friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food high topped with gratitudeLarryDined on 3/29/2014Local has mastered the attention to details required to pull off a great dining experience. We got the 7 course tasting w/ wine The food highlighted the simple ingredients. Each was served promptly and hot. The wine pairings were inspired- who would have thought to serve a Malbec with a creamy turnip soup? It only got better as we progressed from salad to seafood to lamb and beef. We finished with one of those rare beaming food highs. We had symphony tickets and when the cab didn't show up on time, guess how we got to the show? Chef-owner Tracy Miller herself drove us there! How special is that level of customer service? As we found our seats, our food high was peaking with bursting gratitude for Tracy's extraordinary service and kindnessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Abysmal servicefoodieVIPDined on 3/22/2014I actually thought the food was good. I'll never go back. The service was so bad. The woman who waited on us clearly didn't care about her customers, her attitude, her tip, etc. She didn't introduce herself to us, never smiled, came to the table very infrequently. I like the food and the atmosphere, but if people working there don't care if I come in…… then I won't!
- Kitchen needs consistencyBrandyDined on 3/22/2014Notes: the mixed nuts on the table, can't stop thinking about how good these were. Rosemary-scented, sweet and salty, mmm. The fried green beans we shared were heavy handed. Green beans so light and mild don't need a chicken fried treatment. A lighter tempura batter would be better, IMO. Lobster cakes were delicious and the mixed green and fried onion stings and lemon sauce, perfect. Lamb entree, husband said was good, but such a small portion, I didn't dare ask for a bite. I had the sea bass, perfect. The side of Mac & cheese looked delicious. Was shattered to find that no salt was used in the preparation as there was virtually no taste to it. Asked for salt, and the salt grinder let off so much salt that the dish was beyond saving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SpotsgljmDined on 3/21/2014Great place for dinner! Delicious food and adorable setting.Special Features:
- Another Great meal at LocalOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/15/2014We get to Local once or twice a year. As usual, the food and service was outstanding. We were there before a show, so it was also very quiet. We had the Sea Bass and the Salmon.
- One of the BestLindaDined on 3/14/2014My husband & I had a delightful experience. The entrees were well presented and well balanced in flavor. Our service was attentive without being interruptive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not for the PriceLex82Dined on 3/8/2014The food was pretty good but the prices were a little steep. $8 sides that are billed to "share" but were pretty small portions. Entrees were smaller portions as well. I would come back for a drink but probably not if I was hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deep Ellum gemJoanneVIPDined on 3/7/2014We had been to this restaurant years ago, had not tried it for awhile, and it is still good. Nice, efficient waiter. Had the Pork Osso Buco -- very well prepared but could have added a little sauce or gravy. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deep Ellum DelishDianeDined on 3/7/2014Excellent panko crusted sea bass and lobster cakes.Special Features:
- Not for large groups!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/1/2014When I made a reservation for a party of 8, they called asking for a $250 deposit. I was taken aback as no other restaurant in Dallas does this. I gave my card thinking ok we will show they won't charge the deposit. Apparently it shouldn't be called a deposit but a prepay. When the bill came my card had already been charged and showed up on the check as a gift card. This made it difficult to split the bill with myself and other people in the party. Great food, good ambiance, but bad aftertaste. I don't foresee myself ever going back due to the debacle with the bill. I would recommend it for its food, but no parties of 6 or more due to the weirdo PREPAY (deposit) business.Special Features:
- Yummy!MmtwigVIPDined on 2/22/2014This was my 2nd time to Pittsburgh & 2nd time to Local! This restaurant has the food, service & ambiance to keep bringing me back. I recommend reservations & leaving room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Over-achieving.....OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/21/2014We dined at Local Friday night and hadn't been for a few months. Each time we go, we comment on what a hidden gem this place is. Tracy's food continues to astound and the attention to local and sustainable ingredients and delicious and intuitive preparation is what makes this our favorite place in Dallas......and from the minute you walk in the door to the moment you leave, you'll not feel like you're in Dallas at all.Special Features:
- Tasting menu was outstanding.claytonDined on 2/15/2014Tasting menu was outstanding. Better than most restaurants We have dined at. We recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealGarlandDined on 2/14/2014Been eating here since they opened the doors. Never had a bad morsel. We go to Localfor all our special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went here with 2 friends ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Went here with 2 friends Valentines day. The guy behind the bar was very knowledgeable about all the beers and wines, had great suggestions. Service was fantastic and the food was amazing! Well worth the price.Special Features:
- Incredible ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I took my parents here for Valentines day and it was incredible! The server was VERY knowledgeable about food allergies (I have a gluten allergy) and the food was incredible. I could not say one bad thing about the service or the food. Overall, it was an incredible experience and I will come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's eveningLaurie1391Dined on 2/14/2014Intimate, romantic, modern in a historic building, and food so delicious you forget the street construction outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.