Local 22 Kitchen and Bar
2200 W Main St
Durham, NC 27705Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Local 22 Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.local22kitchenandbar.com/
- Phone: 9192869755
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Local 22 Kitchen and Bar
A Southern-accented gastropub with a strong local focus.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Local 22 Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in Durham ›
Local 22 Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (49)great for outdoor dining (39)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (28)great for lunch (25)special occasion (13)great for brunch (12)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)romantic (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- UnhappyOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/19/2014We went early on a Friday night and sat outside. Waitress was a bit confused. She brought the wrong wine, then they were out of the wine we ordered. The pork belly was burned/almost raw. The pork pops tasted of generic BBQ sauce. They Pho was bland. They tilefish seemed old and was totally devoid of flavor. The one bright spot was the tuna sashimi app. If the three of us had just ordered 7 of that we would have been much happier. To top it off, the nice twilight ambiance was ruined when bright fluorescent lights came on at the end of the meal. Will not be going back.
- Not my kind of place..1DancerDined on 9/12/2014The Mac n cheese was good until I bit into squishy duck skin. Yuck!!Expecting duck meat but not skin. I'm glad I was almost finished. My pork pops was tough and I couldn't really grasp the flavor of the meat. It was neither good nor bad just different. I asked our server for a rum n coke( coke was flat)because I tried my friends drink and it was not good. Cocktail menu need to be revamped. Not everyone like whiskey. The dessert my friend received was a dry piece of Apple pie that they call apple crisp..it was pie!! Maybe my friends and I came on a bad night. And yes we had to flag down our server a few times.
- Good food great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We took our three year old there for dinner this weekend and had a great experience. Shared some small plates and amazing dessert. It's nice to find a good restaurant where you can take a kid and still feel welcome. Our server was amazing and treated our daughter like a customer and not an annoyance as many servers do. We will definitely be going back and recommending it to others.Special Features:
- A real gemStarfruit3Dined on 9/2/2014Tried this place with some friends for the first time, and we got a bunch of small plates so we could sample a wide range of food. Everything was excellent and the service was super attentive. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, forgettable foodJulieDined on 9/1/2014The greeting from the host was the only pleasant part. A back wait brought waters & that was the last time anyone came by for 15 minutes. I told the host, & he said he'd correct it. Matt came over & we gave him our drink & food order. Our drinks sit at the bar for 10 minutes as Matt went to other tables, & to the bar several times to talk to the bartender over our drinks. A different server brought our drinks, one of which was wrong. Food was not memorable. Dad asked for more ketchup for his burger & was told that they don't have a lot. No one came to ask how our food was. Matt finally came by after we all finished & asked if we'd like the check. The only thing he did promptly was pick it up. Also, spelling errors galore on wine list!
- Good food, cool restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/1/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. It came recommended from a friend and it certainly lived up to the recommendation. Thanks for a great meal local 22. We will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new 'local' favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Love this place- the decor is warm and comfortable, the food is excellent, the menu has good variety, and service was very friendly and attentive. I just wish the location was different - would be better if it were closer to other reataurants and bars downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service was lackinglhb87VIPDined on 8/28/2014I dined here with two friends. I was running late so they ate an appetizer and ordered some beverages without me. Once I arrived, it took an inordinate amount of time for our server to visit our table to take a drink order from me. When the server returned with my beverage, my friend said, "I think we're ready to order," as the polite way of saying, "We'd like to order food." It took much longer than it should have for the server to come back to our table again to take our food order. The restaurant was not so busy that this delay should have been expected. The food was very good though. I had the local burger and sweet potato waffle fries. I might come back here, but if the service is poor again, then I won't be back a third time.
- Maybe try dinner instead of brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014The dinner menu here looks creative and exciting. Brunch, not so much. Pretty standard faire that tasted fine, but didn't excite. Also, the cocktails were mediocre. They seemed really creative, but weren't very successful. They tasted off-balance, like their recipes needed to be tweaked a little.Special Features:
- 3rd time was not the charm..britgrrlDined on 8/21/2014Our third visit here. Food remains excellent but service was very, very poor. We waited over 35 minutes for our first drinks to arrive - we'd almost finished our appetizers by then. We were compensated with one free dessert ( for a party of 4......... ). We were offered the wrong food - twice! Simply insufficient staff for the numbers of diners, the ones who were working seemed to have no sense of urgency. Only one person behind the bar - to be fair, they were working quite quickly - drinks were lined up ready but the waitstaff need to get a hustle on. I almost went to retrieve our second drink order myself after it had been sat there for nearly 10 minutes. There are enough other good choices in the area that we will not be returning.Special Features:
- MomOnTheGoDined on 8/18/2014Fresh and unique food combinations. Nice atmosphere, very warm and inviting.Special Features:
- Great servicemistymoon24VIPDined on 8/15/2014Our waiter Sharif did an excellent job catering to my vegetarian needs. He was very knowledgable about the menu and any possible substitutions that I could make.Special Features:
- GoodClaudDined on 8/10/2014Not great. Not terrible. Just a good overall experience. Really can't go wrong. Our waiter, Matt was very attentive and courteous and made some good recommendation s when asked. Price is good for the quality and amount of the serving. The salads are quite plentiful and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much Better.MichelleTannerDined on 8/10/2014After a disappointing experience at another restaurant that seems to be Durham's favorite brunch spot, we were holding our breath for Local 22. It was SO good! It was not crowded, so we were able to snag an outside table around noon. The waiter was friendly and helpful, the coffee was good, and the food was great. My omelette was cooked perfectly, and their biscuits were awesome. We were impressed!Special Features:
- Great experience!dinneroutDined on 8/9/2014Food was excellent. Service superb! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Our go-to placeHappyDinerDined on 8/8/2014Whenever we can't decide on where to go, this is our 'go-to' place. We're never disappointed. The food is always fabulous, tasty, and cooked perfectly. My husband and daughter always go for the specials and this last visit my husband had the swordfish and was very pleased... I'm a burger lover and I always leave happy. My daughter had the braised ribs... she 'won' for best meal at our table (we always taste and rate each other's plates). All three plates were spiced wonderfully and appropriately, not overdone, but not afraid of spice, cooked perfectly, but the ribs... not enough adjectives to describe how good they were! The service is always attentive and the atmosphere is pleasant, and I love the lighting... we love this place.Special Features:
- Love the Outdoor VibelunchproVIPDined on 8/5/2014Fun restaurant. My first visit and I'll be back for sure. I had the spinach feta egg toast appetizer and it was delicious. My pan roasted chicken was tasty but not terribly special. The flatbreads looked amazing and I think I'll try that next time. A few in our party had the kale ceasar salad and loved it. I might have to try that next time too!Special Features:
- Great and Innovative Fresh Food!LuvMyVeggiesDined on 8/2/2014We came into Local 22 for dinner on a Saturday as a group of four. This was our first trip and trying it out was definitely a good choice! You can see the immaculate, well lit, and well stocked kitchen as soon as you walk in the door. This, however, is the only part of the place that feels modern. The rest of it has more of a rustic farm vibe to it which is great. We opted for a family style meal and ordered several of the day's small plates for sharing. We got some off the normal menu and some from the daily specials and everything was amazing. We definitely aren't hard core foodies, but we like to eat local/farm-to-table when we can and Local 22 nailed it. Great reasonably priced beer selection too! We will return soon for sure.Special Features:
- Great food!NickBVIPDined on 8/1/2014I've been here twice now, and both time the food has been amazing. One of the times when I went with just my wife, the service was top-notch as well. The second time I went with a group and my burger came out wrong, along with someone else's... twice. The second time we decided to let it go but it was still frustrating. I'm assuming it was just a glitch in the kitchen, though, and it's definitely not enough to keep me from coming back and trying more of their small plates!Special Features:
- Great late dinner and locationJiaomaineDined on 7/26/2014We were staying at the Hilton Garden Inn and walked across the street to eat a very late dinner (10:30). Most of the specials were sold out when we got there but we ordered the last lamb shank and last short rib special. They were so delicious The lamb fell off the bone and was served with a vegatable mix that included eggplant. The short rib was in a cast iron casserole dish with a hominy/grits mix with cheddar cheese. It was so deliciously rich that I could not finish but half of it.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedjrh929Dined on 7/23/2014We really enjoyed our meal here! Another person in our group chose the restaurant, and I volunteered to make the reservation. Once I read some of the other Open Table reviews, I was a little nervous that the service would be lacking. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how knowledgeable and attentive our server was throughout the meal! Everyone enjoyed their food. Appetizers and entrees were all well received. We especially liked the hush puppies! Great start to the meal. Our cocktails were well made and when the wine we ordered wasn't available, our waiter was knowledgeable enough to be able to make another similar suggestion that we all enjoyed. Overall, a great experience!Special Features:
- Nice waitress, little knowledgeroxiegirlVIPDined on 7/18/2014For a Friday night at 7:30pm, the place was dead. Our waitress was nice but needed training. She went on and on about the scallop special, which was also on the board. When I order it, she says they were out of the scallops. Say what? We ordered the meat / cheese board and asked about the cheeses. She stated there were 3 but only remembered 2 of them. She went to inquire as to the third and if some items were gluten free. She came back twice and forgot to check both times. When she came back with the board (which didn't have the bread as noted and only had 2 cheeses on it) she tells us the name of the 3rd. HUH?! What 3rd cheese. She asked to clear our table 3 times but never asked if we wanted desert. Food was just ok. We won't return!
- Awesome!NCQueenFoodieDined on 7/18/2014Food, wine and service were all amazing! I have no words for those amazing corn jalapeno hushpuppies. I will definitely go back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After work oasisLocal4meDined on 7/10/2014Local 22 is a great place for us to stop for dinner after a long day at work. The food is always tasty and imaginatively prepared and the service has been very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!3jsandmDined on 7/9/2014Fun food The hushpuppies and Mac-N-Cheese were amazing!Special Features:
- Worth another tryLoveDurhamFoodSceneDined on 7/9/2014It was our first time dining at Local 22 Kitchen and Bar. We chose to dine outside which proved to be lovely on such a nice evening. The food was very good. The only criticism I have is with our waiter. I don't know if he was new but I don't think he was properly trained. We asked him a few questions about the food which he did not answer for us. One example is: my husband asked if he could have a certain salad that was described as having kale and romaine served to him with just romaine. Instead of getting an answer, the waiter brought the salad with both greens. The waiter didn't bring the various courses in logical order. We liked the restaurant enough to go again. Hopefully the waiter will gain experience.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceToddDined on 7/6/2014It was nice to be able to reserve a table for brunch, something that is often lacking. The outdoor seating was nicely arranged and the service was quick and friendly. The menu had a good variety for brunch, and both of the meals were very good. We will eat here again. .Special Features:
- Always enjoyable whatever the nameasilv1Dined on 7/5/2014Have been coming to this restaurant site for almost a decade. While the concepts (and restaurant names) change every few years, the atmosphere, food quality, and flavors remain excellent and consistent. Menu includes a mix of tapas, flatbreads, sandwiches, entrees, and daily specials. So happy to see the house sausage and BBQ chicken flatbreads remain on the menu. Always pleased to see a Charcuterie on a menu. Tamales, mac n cheese, and hushpuppies "of the day" concept is very cool idea, and we had the tamales, which were good. Just a cool neighborhood scene with outdoor patio dining and a neat indoor atmosphere. Haven't been here late evening, but hear it picks up into a vibrant bar scene.Special Features:
- Great local cuisine on W Main StbklynDined on 7/4/2014Fresh tasty local ingredients in salads, appetizers and best dessert ever. Salads were fresh, tamales were authentic , burger was tasy, but salmon could use less fennel. The bread pudding was absolutely delicious served warm with ice cream. The server was warm and attentive and made us feel right a home .Special Features:
- Very good food, refreshing approachPennyDined on 7/2/2014I am so picky BUT I liked this restaurant. Ate outside so don't know noise level inside. Everything the three of us had was delicious. Nicely casual. Hushpuppies unusually good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is going downhillmistymoon24VIPDined on 6/27/2014The past few times I've been to Local 22 the service has been exceedingly slow. It took 45 minutes from when we ordered for our food to show up, and two of the dishes were incorrect. The waitress was snarky and unhelpful with fixing the dishes. We've been going there regularly for about a year and the food has always been great, they just need a little help with their service.Special Features:
- Good food, so-so serviceDurhamiteDined on 6/25/2014Patio was nice for a casual weekday dinner. Interesting menu choices, great beet salad, fresh ingredients. They were out of several things we asked about, which wasn't a problem but would have been nice to know up front. Service was not bad, but lackadaisical. A little more attention to detail would have improved the experience a lot. This was our first visit; would go back and try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hope it was just a bad nightmysons27705VIPDined on 6/25/2014We loved this place even as "Vita", and we have been 2 or 3 times every month. This week the food was way off. The calamari was excessively smelly, way off. The tamales were dry, and spring rolls were burnt and oily. The new menu dropped pimento cheeses and deviled eggs! Why? The smoked trout spread was still wonderful. Even if you are going to charge $3 for the bread, put it on the menu, because it is still the best in the area.
- Our new favorite in DurhamGlobalgourmandDined on 6/22/2014Went with a friend for lunch on Saturday and came back Sunday night with more friends for dinner. Delicious, fresh food, every bite of many different small plates was delicious. Fun decor. Very good value. Our new favorite.Special Features:
- So good!AllainaDined on 6/20/2014We had 4 small plates and a few drinks and everything was excellent!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/15/2014Food was pretty good but service was not good at all. Went on a Sunday afternoon. Only about 3-4 other tables but had to get up to get a waiter to come over and greet us, bring us waters, etc. Order was incorrect, though they fixed it quickly. Great calm outdoor space though.Special Features:
- up and downdurhamlocalVIPDined on 6/14/2014The first few times we went to Local 22, the service was good and the food so-so. Last night the food was excellent but the service was lacking. We waited a long time for our check and had a hard time getting anyone's attention. Our waiter was charming, but not quite on his game--he came near our table at least four times without checking to see if we needed anything. Our other complaint is that the outside seating looks wonderful but the restaurant has chosen to use horrible cheap aluminum chairs--very hard on the back and very uncomfortable. The restaurant next door has much better outdoor chairs and looked much more appealing. To make matters worse, we saw some of those awful chairs inside Local 22 as well.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2014Great new find! Loved the restaurant, our server, and the delicious food. Only challenge we had was when we tried to telephone the restaurant to let them know we were running a few minutes late, there was no 411 listing for Local 22 in Durham. That should be fixed so folks can dial in addition to using a website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placedebleoDined on 6/12/2014This is a great place to dine either inside or outside. The food is always spectacular as is the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2014Very good local food. It's nice to find a local place with character and is not a chain restaurant. I've had two busienss dinners there and have had good experiences both times. They only offer a generic wine list with one red, a rose and a white which is disappointing.Special Features: