121 Washington St
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.local121.com/
- Phone: 4012742121x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 10:00 am - 2:30 pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
12pm-1am, Monday - Thursday
10am-2 am, Saturday
10am-10pm - Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tyler Demora
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our "Speakeasy" is a private space for dinners, meetings and events that can accommodate up to 60 people. Please call or email with an inquiry for the space and to discuss needs.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Carpentieri 4012742121x10
- Entertainment: DJ Series Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10pm - close, Friday and Saturday 11pm - close. No cover, 21+.
A word from Local 121
Local 121 believes that seasonal, regional, organic sustainable cuisine is not a trend - it is a method of creating beautiful, responsible, delicious dishes. By building relationships with local farmers and suppliers, we ensure not only that your food is fresh and healthful, but that it has been harvested in a way that pays respect to land and sea. When that food is combined with the exceptional efforts of local wineries and breweries, the result is a completely satisfying dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Local 121 - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Local 121 reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)romantic (41)special occasion (35)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (14)good for groups (13)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable? What OpenTable?ChidawgDined on 10/18/2014Got a last minute table through OpenTable. Host said, "OpenTable always pushes reservations through when there are now tables." We were seated in the bar, which is not nearly as nice as the restaurant. It was my anniversary dinner with my wife, so was kind of a disappointment.Special Features:
- Not hitting that high bar anymoreSPVDDined on 10/11/2014Not a huge sample size, granted, but the last two meals here haven't hit the high bar that Local 121 used to. The atmosphere is still great, the dishes (in theory) are what you want them to be at Local 121, but the executions miss the mark. Examples: a gummy take on stuffies (you'd hope they would elevate them past their mainstream tendencies); a massive plate of calamari that looked awesome, and elements were awesome (like the sauce), but the thin slivers of squid end up buried by the batter and tired me out by bite #4; a straight ahead drinks order that was just ok -any place could do it - it lacked that extra mile I hope for here. Maybe it was the Saturday rush or perhaps the dining scene in PVD is passing the old front runner by.
- A nice finddonotgetoutmuchDined on 10/10/2014Surprised by the luxe dining room (velvet booths and supper club feel) which made the night feel special (though we felt comfortable being casually dressed, as were most diners). Starters were super delicious (charcuterie plate, the calamari with an outrageous pair of sauces, plus a green salad with inspired touches, were the standouts); only misfire a tomatillo thing that was an ambitious reach between soup and salad and just did not quite get where it was headed. Mains were not as successful and a heavy hand with salt made it hard to find the subtleties in all the beautifully sourced and creatively combined ingredients.Special Features:
- Perfect choice!AlliDined on 10/3/2014Decided to eat here because of the emphasis on locally grown and cultivated products.Was not disappointed. Food was outstanding, service was flawless, ambiance was perfect. Couldn't ask for a better, more comfortable and relaxing place to be after a hectic week and an arduous commute from Connecticut. Although we didn't stay for it - looked like the nightlife in the bar area was setting up to be fun as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food always great here5catsDined on 9/30/2014The food was great as always, but I was disappointed in the service this time around. I was with business associates from a conference and wanted everything to go well. One of our diners did not get her entree for quite awhile. The waitress was good in all other aspects and she was very honest telling the diner that she had forgotten to put her order in with the rest of ours. The diner was very gracious, so we were all a bit surprised that she was not even comped on her desert...or something! I was a waitress for several years and I would definlitely had at least given her a free desert or some break on her check. That was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing This TimeJoanDined on 9/27/2014I have eaten at Local 121 many times since they opened. The food has always been outstanding, except for September 27, 2014. My Mahi Mahi was disappointing, served at room temp with an unimpressive presentation. My dining companion ordered the pork. She was told that the dish was made with pork tenderloin which could not be accurate given the amount of tendon, fat and gristle that was obvious is the pork. The meat was not thoroughly cooked and she had to send her dish back for the raw center to be addressed. The smoked potatoes where a hit. Overall this experience was not a good example of what we know Local can produce. Will visit again in the future and hope we will be wow'ed similarly to the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local 121JrabbitDined on 9/26/2014I went on a Friday night. The space is great and I found the waitstaff and hostess very friendly and accommodating. The food and wine were nicely presented. The only criticism is that the food was not served hot. Our calamari was very good but room temperature. I had the rabbit, which was also not hot enough. We didn't complain or send the food back because the overall experience was great.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable!elpteeDined on 9/20/2014Visiting Providence for the first time and found this gem in downtown! Great food, great service from Emily our waitress who was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!LuvnewplacesVIPDined on 9/20/2014I always rely on Open Table when we travel. Local 121 had great reviews and did not disappoint. We will definetly go back the next time were in RI. Our waitperson - Emily was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealRbradfoDined on 9/19/2014When I arrived I noticed that the dining room was a bit too cozy for a table for one, so I opted to site at the bar and had a great dinner. The clam chowder soup was delicious (but almost a little too thick - flavors were spot on though and there were lots of clams) and the hamburger was unbelievably flavorful (although the patties may have been a little over worked in their preparation). Overall, these are minor issues for what was a solid meal in a nice space downtown. It should definitely be on the dinner to do list when in Providence.Special Features:
- GemFunandDiningDined on 9/13/2014We celebrated out 26th Wedding Anniversary at Local 121 and had a wonderful time. The food was outstanding, the ambiance was terrific, our server, Emma, was attentive w/o being intrusive. Overall we had a WONDERFUL time. We loved the food. Portion sizes were perfect (not large, but enough to make us happy). The food, full of flavor (which is an understatement). We felt like we had an opportunity to try things that we'd never put together, which worked so perfectly!Special Features:
- Providence Perfect1050LynnDined on 9/7/2014Local 121, with its emphasis on local products and California inspired Nouvelle Cuisine and presentation delighted us. The simple yet refined salad dressing, fish, accompanied by a cream mustard sauce, chicken,cheeses and vegetables were prepared beautifully. While we rarely eat dessert, the star of the evening was the Chocolate Pave : rich, velvet chocolate , dark and not sweet. Perfect! Chef Ryan stopped by to accept our compliments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just WonderfulMommaSiefertDined on 9/5/2014We loved everything about our visit to Local 121. The food was not only locally sourced but also absolutely delicious. Try the calamari - the tomato butter sauce it comes in was unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnaDined on 8/24/2014I visit Local 121 each time I'm in downtown Providence and love this restaurant. The food and service never disappoint. The restaurant is elegant and romantic and it's a very special place. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special nightEverettCHoneyworthDined on 8/22/2014The menu, drink list, and service were all above expectations. It's a very quiet, so it's a great place to go with your significant other or small group to simply enjoy each others company.Special Features:
- Service A+ Food CPVSBVIPDined on 8/7/2014Local 121 was a mixed dining experience for us. The complimentary valet parking was appreciated. The service was simply outstanding. I loved the Velvet Jone srum cocktail. Where we came up short was with the food. The scallops appetiser was terrific but the other three small plates we order, zucchini soup, calamari and foie gras where, at best, adequate. We did not walk away dazzled by the culiary prowess in the kitchen. A shame given how well the front of the house was managed.Special Features:
- Work lunchAS2222Dined on 7/30/2014In the past, my (brunch and dinner) experience at Local 121 had been great, but this (lunch) time it was mixed. The portion sizes were inconsistent -- some sandwiches required extra large plates, but the pasta and quiche were starter-size, even though there is a separate "small plates" section. When we asked about the tossed greens that were supposed to come with the quiche, we were brought two small plates with just green lettuce leaves, after we had finished the quiche. The quiche was quite tasty, but the presentation was disappointing and the portion left one of us hungry, while some of the sandwiches were not finished.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Went on the recommendation of a friend and it was a great recommendation. Fresh food, friendly service, great atmosphere. Went on a first date and they gave us plenty of time to talk, peruse the menu and had helpful hints about what would be the better choice. Food came quickly and was amazing. My date just kept saying how nice the place was, how delicious the food was and how great of a time it was. Made breaking the ice that much easier for me. Would recommend again and again to anyone looking for a fresh, locally grown meal.Special Features:
- Beautiful yet a bit pricyAljackdonDined on 7/19/2014The restaurant was great, much more classy than what we expected from the pictures! Perfect for romantic dinners. Price vary from 15 to 30+ $ so be careful what you orderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceCindyDined on 7/19/2014This was my second visit to Local 121, and it did not disappoint. We brought out of town guests for the first time. All concerns for us were exceptional.....atmosphere, service and food. This restaurant is a gem....from the moment you walk in the door and are greeted with a friendly smile, until you are so satisfied at the completion of your meal, and YOU walk out with the smile! I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely nightLocalLadyDined on 7/12/2014Another lovely night in Providence at a neighborhood anchor. Delicious dinner.Special Features:
- ExcellentRob1764VIPDined on 7/8/2014Everything from the appetizer to the pork tenderloin to the dessert was outstanding...Special Features:
- mqwfVIPDined on 7/6/2014Initially we were a bit reluctant because the restaurant was noyt rated at all. However, we decided that this is neither good nor bad news. The place was really nice and cozy and the food was absolutely delicious. Definitely ready to come back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/1/2014The food was excellent. My only complaint was the limited menu, but I understood going in that the menu would be limited because they serve only locally sourced food. Preparation was outstanding. I had the rabbit which was juicy and delicious. My wife had an the marinated squid and shellfish appetizer as her main course and loved it. The dining room has white table clothes and the bar is old mahogany - reminder of the fancy restaurants of years gone by. Now added to my favorite restaurant list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousRK17VIPDined on 6/28/2014All the dishes we had were delicious and very well presented. The portions were the right size and the desserts outstanding. The service was quick and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible Food, Great AmbienceGJE1Dined on 6/27/2014Local 121 is another of Providence's great culinary gems. The food is delicious, creatively developed, with excellent artistic plating. A night at Local 121 is one that should not be missed.Special Features:
- Long time patrons very disappointed121dinerDined on 6/26/2014Food quality has fallen dramatically. It's like the kitchen doesn't care any more, very sad.
- A StandoutBillinVADined on 6/26/2014local 121 is very close to the convention center. We chose it for that reason but frankly expected to trade a quality experience for that convenience. We were wrong. It was a unique and varied menu, a lovely, elegant setting, with very good service and reasonable prices. They handle couples and large crowds equally well. Our group had pasta, two types of seafood, and vegitarian- everyone was delighted with their choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ExperienceJoJODined on 6/22/2014The tempura beans were very greasy, the calm chowder too salty, the service mediocre, the ambience very loud next room, out of Monk Fish early on a Monday evening... Bad choice... very pretentious... boss must have been out.
- The following 804 reviews are from the Local 121 reviews archive.
- WonderfulMacPacDined on 6/14/2014We really enjoyed local 121. Staff, food and chef are great. It truly is a treat as the menu is unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRIPharmieDined on 6/13/2014My last visit here was over 5 years ago and I remember a delicious fresh local menu and great service. Sadly none of that was here anymore. We were conveniently seated quickly thanks to our reservation, however that might have been the only plus. The menu was strange and didn't have really anything exciting... The service was slow and messy (ie beer spills and fork dropping). Way too overpriced for a half non-edible monkfish and boring cod. Just a sad experience. Will not be back.Special Features:
- Place to go!Suzeq27Dined on 6/13/2014My friend and I go to Local 121 every time we have tickets to Trinity. There is valet parking that keeps our car for the entire evening. Our table is always ready. The food comes in a timely fashion so we can enjoy a leisurely meal and get to the play on time. Food is all fresh, creative, and proportionally perfect. I HIGHLY recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Presentation & DeliciousFriarjDined on 6/7/2014Local 121 still has the most unique menu around with local produce and dishes. I loved the Hudson Valley Foie Gras! I was especially impressed this time with the elegance and artfulness of the dishes presented, and of course the food was very tasty as well. Service was very attentive. The round booths feel like a fun retro throw back, and I will want to sit in them again. But there is a large distance between the booth and the table that makes it a tad uncomfortable. Wonderful dinner experience overall and hope to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerMaryBVIPDined on 5/31/2014We were a group of 6 with 4 vegetarians. Menu has a lot of choices for all diets. I love the fresh local flavors. The service was just right -attentive but not overbearing. A nice wine list and excellent cocktails.Special Features:
- My one complaint...SweetandSavoryDined on 5/30/2014...was that I asked that my steak be cooked medium (hot pink center) and it came out rare (bright red, practically still mooing). They took it back, cooked it to my liking but did not offer any kind of discount which I think is unusual for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerLove4FoodDined on 5/27/2014My fiance and I came here for dinner for her 27th birthday. It was a Tuesday so the restaurant wasn't too busy but that did not take away from our experience. Our waitress was very attentive and the food was great, get the charcuterie plate! Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- always the bestacwpvdVIPDined on 5/23/2014there is simply no comparable experience in PVD to dining at Local 121Special Features:
- our second visitNICKIEDined on 5/18/2014Our second visit and we will be back.....great place for post theater dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at 121OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014We had mothers day brunch. The setting is nice and comfortable. Friendly service. Different and tradtional foods locally sourced.Special Features:
- outstanding!krtsphdDined on 5/11/2014So impressed with our latest experience at Local 121! Great service, delicious food, and amazing cocktails (the bartender deserves an award)! 5 stars!Special Features: