34 City Island Avenue
City Island, NY 10464Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lobsterboxrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (718) 885-1952
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Continental
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant
A word from Lobster Box
Under new management with the addition of an awesome chef and City Island's widest selection of fresh seafood, the NEW Lobster Box is a comfortable, neighborhood get-away. Come see our spectacular water views easily the best on the island and the lobster tank, home to our 12 lb lobster! With two large plasma televisions, the bar/lounge is a great place to watch a game or relax with friends before dinner.Continued
A meal at Lobster Box is sure to make a long lasting impression!
A meal at Lobster Box is sure to make a long lasting impression!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Lobster Box reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)scenic view (6)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (5)special occasion (4)great for lunch (3)romantic (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great place!SkyKingDined on 11/13/2014I have been coming to the Lobster Box for over 40 years, and it never fails to amaze me with the quality of the food and service. On City Island, where there are perhaps 15 high end restaurants, The Lobster Box has always been our favorite. We were here several days ago to celebrate my friends birthday. The food was great and in abundant quantities. Our server, Jorge was amazingly attentive to our needs. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleased AgainBiggababsDined on 11/8/2014The team at the Lobster Box does an amazing job. The service and the food are always exceptional. Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!BiggababsDined on 10/3/2014With only a small note in my reservation requesting a slice of cake for my Mom, the restaurant gave my mother a very memorable 60th Birthday. The staff truly went above and beyond to make the evening special. The food was great, the service was outstanding and it was a very memorable evening.Special Features:
- taubisanFlavafulDined on 9/27/2014Spacious comfortable restaurant with nice view of the Long Island Sound from the rear dining room. Attentive friendly service, well prepared tasty seafood with generous portions and reasonable prices. Skip the hyped, pricey, noisey and crowded Sammy ' s across the street and next door, and check out the Lobster Box. You'll be happy you did. I dine there periodically with my wife and parents and we always leave happy and with doggy bags.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!FaveVIPDined on 9/20/2014We planned this visit with lobster in mind. All they had on hand were the small ones, which are all she'll & little meat. For a restaurant with the word lobster in its name, it's not an unrealistic expectation for customers to think they will be able to get a decent sized one. Next time I'll just go to Jordan's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good reliable lobster placeWeedyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Old stand by lobster place that still delivers. Probably the best City Island resto. Go for the broiled lobsters and raw oysters. Soak up the City Island atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't botherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014I had gone here as a child many times with my family and the lobsters were the best around! Now some 40 years later the place has seen better days. The food was fair and the service not much better. It was a trip down memory lane that would have been better off remaining a memory.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Lobster Box reviews archive.
- Great mealJoanneDined on 7/31/2014Both the food and service were great! Was pricey but we went for a special occasion. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Our Yearly Dinnerredrose5200VIPDined on 7/22/2014Five of us go here every year for our annual City Island dinner and they never disappoint. Food is great, service is excellent and the owner/manager is always on top of things. Love this place and wouldn't consider any other place on City Island to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeFoodluverCIDined on 7/21/2014The food was excellent and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014We enjoyed our first visit to Lobster Box, for a late lunch on a Saturday. There was plenty of room and we had a table by the window with a partial view to the water. Since I can't eat lobster, I had the fish and chips; it was fried quite heavily on the outside, but the fish itself was perfectly done and flavorful. 2 others in our party ordered steamed lobster, which was very fresh but they both agreed that it had been cooked just a little too long. Still, we enjoyed the meal overall. The garlic bread that was brought to our table at the start was excellent - toasted but fluffy and loaded with garlic. Best of all was the service - from the friendly host to the attentive busboy, but especially our server, Gina. She was fantastic!
- A real restaurantPTCNYCVIPDined on 7/6/2014Some places on City Island feature picnic tables outside with seagulls flying around. If thats not for you, and A/C, attractive bar and table srvice is then come here. But leave time to walk around those other places!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/23/2014After reading the reviews on Open Table I made a reservation here. Did not live up to the hype. Restaurant is old and although there is a view of the water, it was not a clear view. It looks out on the fence of the restaurant next door. The place is old and the food was ok. Would not come back again.Special Features:
- Fantastic birthday dinnerWestchesterTravelVIPDined on 6/14/2014I went to Lobster Biz with my wife and kids this weekend. Great view, attentive and friendly service, and fantastic seafood. I enjoyed the best 2 2/2 lb lobster I've had in years! The entrees and appetizers were great, but I expected a bit more from the salads and desserts. The view was terrific. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a very romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/29/2009I had a very romantic evening and the food was excellent!Special Features:
- Everything was good exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/26/2009Everything was good except for the tiramisu. It was more like a cake with custard filling, not the light and fluffy dessert it should be.
- Service was very good, homey,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2009Service was very good, homey, generous, caring. The lobster lunch special a superb value coupled with a view of the Long Island sound and sailboats responding to heavy winds. The trip to City Island was an adventure and finished with an excellent lunchSpecial Features:
- This was my 2nd visit to LobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/1/2009This was my 2nd visit to Lobster Box and I love it. It has become one of my favorite restaurants. They've had consistently good food, generous portions, quiet ambiance and a great spot for a nice, romantic dinner. Wait staff are very professional, friendly and attentive, without being overly bothersome.Special Features:
- The place was ok. not badMommaryDined on 9/19/2009The place was ok. not bad but certainly not great. Don't think I will be returning to it.
- I was very pleased with myOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2009I was very pleased with my meal. The portions were very generous, and the lunch special was a great deal. Fish was extremely fresh and well prepared. I would go there again and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- very good food was a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/12/2009very good food was a little noisy but it must be a very good restaurant for partiesSpecial Features:
- The waitress we had was notOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2009The waitress we had was not so nice, it looked as if we were bothering her when we asked for stuff, mind you there were 7 tables out of maybe 20 that were occupied. i got the lobster with crabmeat stuffing, not the best, stuffing was too mushy and wet. the fish was excellent! would not go back
- I used to eat at the LobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2009I used to eat at the Lobster Box years ago when I worked in the area. My wife always heard me talking about it and wanted to go. Nothing has changed and the restaurant is still as good as it was then. The food is very good. The service staff is outstanding and really completes the package. We arrived early and were put at a table that met my expectations without delay. Needless to say, my wife and I were very happy with our dining experience.Special Features:
- Food was good, not spectacular.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2009Food was good, not spectacular. Service was very good. Overall a good reliable place for the money that has become a good standby whenever you think "What's a good restaurant on City Island that is a little upscale?"Special Features:
- My dining experience was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2009My dining experience was very good at Lobster Box. I took my girlfriend there for here birthday and making a reservation through OpenTable.com helped me to get a scenic view that made it more of a special evening. The service was great and food was excellent. We had lobster tails, filet mignon, and shrimp along with additional sides. It was definitely enough food as I am a big eater and still had to take food home. Hope this review helped.Special Features:
- Used fillers in cole slawOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2009Used fillers in cole slaw and lobster roll. Think it was out of a can.
- our reservation honored ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2009our reservation honored our request for a table with a view of the water. Surprising us was the last of people eating here,I'm sure the economy had something to do with it. Different drinks were offered and they each sounded delicious. The server was excellet, but the lobsters were sweet, delectable and a bargain. Would definitely return,Special Features:
- The service at the LobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/10/2009The service at the Lobster Box was fantastic. The food was very good. I would highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Filet mignon was great. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2009Filet mignon was great. It was also nice to have crab legs that were already split. ExcellentSpecial Features:
- Wonderful restaurant. Food,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2009Wonderful restaurant. Food, service and location were excellent. Capable and friendly staff.Special Features:
- Nice setting and very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2009Nice setting and very nice servers but the food portions are enough for 3 people and the prices seem to be the cost of one serving times 3 also. The food is good but I would rather have exceptional food in one-person portions, at the prices they charge.
- Nice spot for a relaxing dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/6/2009Nice spot for a relaxing dinner in a spectacular location. Only caveat..... tough to get to on a Saturday night, traffic on City Island is a little challenging..... Will go to Lobster Box again, great spot.
- In a word; Excellent. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/5/2009In a word; Excellent. Food was fresh & delicious; servings were generous and promptly served at the proper temperature. Waitstaff was very friendly and attentive, but not overbearing (kudos to our waiter, Manuel). Prices were very reasonable. I have recommended it to friends who have already gone & given me positive feedback. I will definitely be back soon. Hope they continue to keep up their high standards. This is a hidden, City Island gem amongst an island of average/below par eating establishments. Very pleased I took a chance on the Lobster Box for my father's birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Food and service was very1forribsDined on 6/3/2009Food and service was very good. The only let down was that I thought the place would have had nicer decor. The ladies room was in desperate need of a renovation.Special Features:
- We were a family of 5 thatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2009We were a family of 5 that wanted to share a dinner out. Food portions were fairly large and reasonably good. The only issue was that they ran out of baked potato.Otherwise, it was a pleasurable dinning experience. They also have a huge parking area right off the sound, which allows you to walk around after dinner and then pick up your car.Special Features:
- good, old fashioned seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/16/2009good, old fashioned seafood house. service was excellent. food was very good.
- We went to dine at LobsterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2009We went to dine at Lobster Box this past Saturday to celebrate Mother's Day. The food was really good & plentiful. Our waiter was friendly & efficient. I love that the tables & chairs are not crowded on top of one another. We would definitely return!!!Special Features:
- The food was excellant andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2009The food was excellant and the service. The hostess was awful. She complained about wanting to go home and go to sleep.
- Huge portions at good prices.harmigDined on 5/3/2009Huge portions at good prices. Wonderful service. Not one negative thing to say.Special Features:
- Would not return to this restaurantJoyceLDined on 4/29/2009Would not return to this restaurant. Nothing exceptional. Food ordinarySpecial Features: