LJ's & The Kat Lounge
1130 Conrad Court
Hagerstown, MD 21740Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
LJ's & The Kat Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ljsandthekatlounge.com/
- Phone: 3017397990
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Lounge: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 12:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am we will be closed for summer break July 4-11 and will reopen for normal hours on Tuesday July 12th and will hold a mediteranean festival menu for the rest of July.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Lonnie D. Coble
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available on Sundays and Mondays for parties of 20 or more.
A word from LJ's & The Kat Lounge
LJ’s & THE KAT LOUNGE is named in honor of the two people who instilled in their son the love of “entertaining friends and strangers, alike, in a friendly warm atmosphere with fantastic food, wonderful wine, and magnificent memories."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
LJ's & The Kat Lounge - Best Restaurants in Hagerstown ›
LJ's & The Kat Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (27)fit for foodies (22)romantic (21)notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (11)great for brunch (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- change is goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Loved the changes to both the décor and the staff uniform. The dining room feels more open and friendly, while still maintaining nice Bistro look. Thank you for getting rid of the dreadful brown polyester uniforms - non of your lovely wait staff was enhanced by them - the seem more relaxed and friendly - yet still provide knowledgeable and efficient service. Food fabulous as always - 2 dines 1 had the tuna with the sticky rice and the dashi broth and I had the rockfish. We would have happily traded as both were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Great atomsphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014The wait staff was very attentive, the food was unique and the selection was excellent. My one and only complaint is that they are heavy with the salt. I have eaten here several times and it is a consistent issue. I love the openness of the dining area.Special Features:
- Great Fine Dining OptionIcemanVIPDined on 9/16/2014Even though the makeover has IMO made the restaurant a little too casual, the food quality and service is still amazing. We both tried the Market menu the other night and every course was on point. Highly recommend for a fine dining experience. It is refreshing that the tasting menu changes frequently, allows for the restaurant to offer something new on every visit.Special Features:
- May have been the best meal ever!LovetoeatoutDined on 8/29/2014We travel and eat out a lot and were so happy to find this restaurant close to home. The bar/lounge atmosphere is intimate and modern. The drink menu was unique and unusual so the bartender made some recommendations and the drinks were fantastic! We moved into the dining room for dinner. The dining room was beautiful and the food was just amazing...from the appetizer to the salad to the entree right through dessert. I can't wait to go back and would highly recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerRicoleDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I had a wonderful experience! The service and food was beyond our expectation. The staff went above and beyond. They individually tailored our experience by giving us commemorative menus and small gift of food. On our way out many staff congratulated and wish us a happy anniversary. My wife commented that the service made her feel very special. We both enjoyed the salad, steak, and sides the accompanied our entree. I would highly recommend LJ's and the Kat Lounge.Special Features:
- New menu is too limitedDCFoodieDined on 8/19/2014I don't like the new menu. I ordered the burger and it was pretty bad. Two days later, I still taste it. The desserts were amazing and so was the service.
- poppizVIPDined on 8/16/2014A work of art.Decor, Service,Food,Drinks Wine was as good as any restaurant I frequent.Special Features:
- Top of the ListGREATCATCHDined on 8/16/2014The services was absolutely outstanding from everyone. The food is perfectly prepare with people who have a passion for the business. I found the new menu very exciting. I loved the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer our go-to special placePcpaDined on 8/15/2014Our last two visits have been disappointing. Someone has a very heavy hand with the salt. Fries weren't the ethereal things they once were. Smoked ketchup missing some notes. While it wouldn't keep us from coming back, staff looked to be dressed for attending a rodeo. Lastly, someone tried to remove my plate as my mouth was still full from my last bite - she even reached for it. I still had half my entree left!
- Sophisticated but casualBagsrpackedVIPDined on 8/8/2014Stylish decor and friendly staff clued us in early. Dinner would be a great combination of sophisticated but casual fare created by the staff in the open kitchen. We had the Boursin burger which lived up to its reputation along with a Hagerstown Restaurant Week menu that was creative and delicious. Good cocktail and wine list. Calm, casual atmosphere added to the relaxing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentquiltyDined on 8/5/2014My husband and I like to eat in good restaurants and I don't know why we hadn't eaten here sooner. The food was well prepared, the service attentive, and the decor stylish. I had the tuna which was lightly seared and served warm over sticky rice with a flavorful sauce. We definitely will eat there again.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014Food was excellent. It felt like we were in New York City dining. We strongly recommend this establishment for a wonderful evening out.Special Features:
- What is going on?RockitDined on 7/29/2014I certainly hope that LJ's hasn't lost their way. The food and service continue to be over the top, but the new menu and "dress code" changes are very concerning. I used to feel that dining at LJ's was cause for dressing up a bit and enjoying the experience. I now feel like that I can finish mowing the grass, hop in the car without a shower, and grab a burger and a beer. I guess if the add wings, pizza, and a few more tvs, Hagerstown could boast another sports bar.Special Features:
- First impressionlonghikesDined on 7/26/2014The restaurant had a fun ambiance. The waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful. Food was great.Special Features:
- Well Done ChangesDowntownJonVIPDined on 7/19/2014LJs just went through an overhaul of their dining areas and their menu. The LJs favorites are still there, but there are many newly added items, new appetizers and new sides. I didn't think there was much room for improvement with the old LJs, but it turns out that there was! My wife had an old favorite: Buttermilk Chicken and loved it. I had the deviled eggs with smoked salmon filling, a caesar salad, and the salmon. All were excellent. They shook the box a little with the dining room; not that much has changed - though it looks like a lot of the work went into the kitchen. I can't recommend LJ's highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better before the remodelFootmanDined on 7/18/2014Lj's has been one of our favorite dining experiences for my wife and I for the past few years. The recent remodel, while subtle, had taken away from the ambience a little bit. The menu also seemed much more limited. The food/service was very good, but not amazing. This is a very solid dining choice, but not quite as special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MizzWilliams36Dined on 7/15/2014LJ's has been renovated for a more casual feel. The restaurant could be dropped in the middle of NYC, and fit right in. My husband and I really enjoyed the food, ambiance, and service. The tuna was amazing, as was the cashew fried chicken. They serve a beer bread with a crunchy buttery top, accompanied by a honey butter that was just delicious. We are definitely adding LJ's to our restaurant rotation.Special Features:
- 7/15/14HGRTravelerDined on 7/15/2014First time back in a while and the visit coincided with reopening after the recent changes. The overall condition of the restaurant was as nice as ever, but I was somewhat dissapointed in the revised menu from the last time I was there. Starting with getting a paper menu similar to a placemat or a bar menu in other restaurants, to the much scaled back number of choices for true dinner options (as opposed to sandwiches), I was expecting more based on previous LJ's experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDickVIPDined on 6/28/2014Compared to previous dinners there the restaurant is dated. We were told they are remodeling over the next 2 weeks. June 30 to mid July 2014. We will try again but we are going to wait a while.Special Features:
- Another great nightDarrelDined on 6/28/2014We tried the tasting menu for the first time. It was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a sure thingsafetymurphDined on 6/20/2014Been there sev we ran times for special occasions and the food is always great and the staff is always nice. Great times!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3RD TIMEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014This is the 3rd time me and my boyfriend have come for dinner. The service was like clock work , this go round the servers were a little off their game we think they were new. They host was attentive and the food was great as always. We always enjoy this place. we come from Baltimore just to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerKCSwDined on 6/13/2014My husband & I dined at LJ’s for our 17th Anniversary. I had flowers delivered to the restaurant Which they had on our dinner table for us. Table setting was Very Romantic for our special occasion. The wait staff looked really nice & was very polite. For appetizer we had Lobster with pecorino grits that was fabulous. They serviced us bread with our salad & that was tasty. My husband had the beef NY strip steak, LOVED IT! For myself I ordered the chicken buttermilk marinate, that was GREAT! Over all for the price I believe it was worth every bite. We will be back for another special occasion, GREAT FOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerrgr3132Dined on 6/4/2014The staff and management took extra special care of my wife and I during our anniversary dinner. Thanks to Alex for making this a truly special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 538 reviews are from the LJ's & The Kat Lounge reviews archive.
- TerrificSteve3434Dined on 5/24/2014Another great meal at LJ's. This has become our "go to place" for a special occasion or really good meal.Special Features:
- Great place!BraxdinersDined on 5/16/2014My husband and I always have a wonderful time. This resturaunt is the entire package; food, ambiance, wine, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always feel specialhillbillyfairyDined on 5/16/2014When we go to LJ's, it's always for a special occasion since it's on the pricey side. But when we do it's ALWAYS worth it. The service is very attentive without being overbearing. When we arrived for our anniversary dinner, our menus had our names and wedding date on them! The wine menu is fun -- it arrives in a box that you can browse through, organized by type of wine. My only disappointment there was not finding any Pinotage, but my "lemonade" cheered me up. My most recent dinner included the tuna, which came just barely seared, drenched in an amazing Asian sauce and lots of finely shredded asian-style vegetables. Yum! I love the chef's menu - but I've never ever had a bad meal here. You can count on LJs for good food AND a good time.Special Features:
- A special occasionJoyboyDined on 5/10/2014Had a birthday celebration surprise for my husband. Food was outstanding as was the presentation. Portions are conservative, but satisfying . The adult beverages were creative and quite memorable. A must for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food/great serviceTandCDined on 5/10/2014Great place to celebrate a special occasion. The crab cakes are PHENOMENAL! The best I have ever had! And the beef wontons were an EXCELLENT surprise--just a hint of spice with such a smooth and light avocado dip--mmmm, just thinking about it makes me want to go back soon! Great service and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great anniversary dinnerFrancesDined on 5/1/2014This is truly a gem in Hagerstown. I found the food a bit overpriced but very tasty. I had the chicken with truffled potatoes and mac and cheese. The chicken was good, the potatoes were excellent. The presentation of the food was lacking though. It seems like they need to work on garnishing. The mac and cheese was disappointing because there was nothing unique about it. Almost tasted boxed. The service was superb! And I really like the decoration. Beignets were overpriced but good and they didn't charge us for them. I like the departing gift for our special occasion but must admit that was disappointed to see that it was bread and butter and very dry brownie. A couple of chocolates or a better brownie would've been nicer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not specialdavieVIPDined on 4/26/2014My wife wanted to go for a ride in the country, so from the Columbia area, we drove west to Hagerstown and booked a reservation at LJ’s & the Kat Lounge, which is a highly rated restaurant in the Western Maryland area. With drinks, we shared a cheese plate which was good. I had strip steak with spinach. The spinach was lightly cooked and very good. The steak had a good taste but was somewhat tough and slightly overcooked. My wife had scallops and cheesecake for dessert and thought they both were good. I had creme brulee for dessert. Overall, the experience was good, but not special. If I lived in the Hagerstown area, I might go back, but definitely not from the Baltimore/Washington area.
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014This was my first experience with LJ's and it was lovely! Great Easter Brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchChaz333Dined on 4/20/2014The dining was exquisite, more choices than you could imagine!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunch!LuvgoodfoodDined on 4/20/2014Seven of us went to LJ's for brunch on Easter Sunday, and although it was busy (and usually a bad day to go out for brunch) LJ's did it very well. The food was great, the service was great ... and I didn't need cook the rest of the day! :)Special Features:
- Great as usual.DarrelDined on 4/12/2014Lj's is our go to restaurant for special occasions. The food is excellent and the servers are fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissatisfiedgpaulDined on 4/5/2014LJ's has been our "go to" restaurant for special occasions and a nice evening out for years. As long as LJ's has been open. Over the years we have always been extremely satisfied with our dining experience. The food was always excellent. Well prepared and good. Because of this our last dining experience was a real disappointment. As always the service was great, the waiters know the menu and are very gracious and welcoming. We decided to try the Chef's menu. Some of the food was great, the dip for the eggplant for example, but there were a few that were not very good. The fish dishes especially were not very appealing and too salty. They did comp us some desserts, and offered to change our entrees which was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and service but....UnimpressedDined on 3/29/2014I had a crab cake dinner with garlic spinach, my wife had the cinnamon perogies which are not a favorite of mine but these were really good. One of our dinner companions had the strip steak, it was cooked to perfection and tasted wonderful. There were two things that I didn't care for. First, the chairs in the bar, they look horrible with so many stains on the fabric,really gross, please clean them or replace them. The second was an observation of two tables with couch seating on one side and a chair on the other,the couch sinks down too far for this to be an enjoyable experience for the unfortunate person stuck there,I watched the two couples who were seated across from me throughout the evening try to adjust,they needed a booster seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing everytimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Everytime my husband and I get a chance to escape the hustle of baseball, cheerleading, basketball, and golf; we always come to LJ's! We can have adult time without any children around! Love the food...the salad is my personal favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's the best.......Steve3434Dined on 3/7/2014This is, hands down, the best place to eat in the Hagerstown area. Food, drinks, service, atmosphere-- all first class.Special Features:
- Excellent, as usual...MattCDined on 2/22/2014Excellent food & great service. Always a consistently good experience at LJs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.