LJ's & The Kat Lounge
1130 Conrad Court
Hagerstown, MD 21740Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
LJ's & The Kat Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ljsandthekatlounge.com/
- Phone: (301) 739-7990
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Lounge: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 12:00am, Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am we will be closed for summer break July 4-11 and will reopen for normal hours on Tuesday July 12th and will hold a mediteranean festival menu for the rest of July.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Lonnie D. Coble
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available on Sundays and Mondays for parties of 20 or more.
A word from LJ's & The Kat Lounge
LJ’s & THE KAT LOUNGE is named in honor of the two people who instilled in their son the love of “entertaining friends and strangers, alike, in a friendly warm atmosphere with fantastic food, wonderful wine, and magnificent memories."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
LJ's & The Kat Lounge - Best Restaurants in Hagerstown ›
LJ's & The Kat Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (40)fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (25)notable wine list (25)good for groups (13)hot spot (11)great for brunch (9)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Menu and ServiceIcemanVIPDined on 11/15/2014Another stellar meal and service. The Market Menu changes frequently so that every visit is a new experience. Highly recommend to anyone that wants a gourmet experience in a casual atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinning in HagerstownZman900Dined on 11/15/2014We still love this place always great food always great service! I like the old menu better seem like they Hagerstownized it some but it's still great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seriously good!RBanseVIPDined on 11/14/2014Discovering LJ's and the Kat Lounge in Hagerstown was like finding a haven of gourmet quality and service in our neighborhood. We moved to the area from Philadelphia where we often frequented quality dining establishments. LJ's can hold its own with the best of them. The menu is creative, and the portions just right. They change the menu enough to keep it interesting. The presentation is attractive and the staff is excellent. The cocktails are also unique and change frequently. The wine list is worth a detailed review, and I encourage you to do a wine pairing with the tasting menu if offered. The decor is pleasing and modern, featuring nice stonework and earth tones, unique lighting, and an attractive gas fireplace. They do have some outdoor seating for the warmer season. Due to the unique design of the main dining room, the chef and the kitchen are very much in view, and you can witness first hand the care that goes into preparing your meal. If you have any food allergies, they will move heaven and earth to ensure your comfort and satisfaction. And despite this high class fare, dress code is casual and comfortable. Dress up if you must, but you won't feel out if place in jeans. Although we have not patronized the Kat Lounge portion of the establishment yet, we have peered in and found it to be warm and inviting. And this is where the creative cocktails come from, so I am sure we would find it to our satisfaction. Go. Enjoy. Hagerstown needs to support this high quality level of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect nightLovefoodDined on 11/8/2014We arrived a little early for our reservation and were escorted to the lounge. We ordered a drink and sat in front of the fire place. The waiter/bartender was polite and checked on us twice in a brief time. When our table was ready the owner escorted us to our table calling us by name. The service was great. The food came out hot and perfectly cooked. We wanted to make a small change and the waiter accommodated our request, no questions asked. This was the best steak I have had in a long time. Would recommend LJ's and the Kat Lounge to everyone. warmSpecial Features:
- Best food everstephe310Dined on 11/8/2014The food was awesome. I had the best steak I ever had in my life. Beer bread was excellent! And even the salad was excellent! I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeTaDaDined on 11/1/2014Had a girl's day out which ended at LJ's. The food was inventive and fabulous. The waiter had some great recommendations, as well. A must - the truffled scalloped potatoes - mouth watering!Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014My partner & I celebrated our 17th anniversary at LJs. The service was great. The ambience was wonderful. My partner didn't care for the chicken noodle soup. He said it wasn't good. I didn't care for the LJs salad, as it was just a plate of lettuces with some overpowering lemon dressing. Overall, the night was good. It would've been better had the group sitting behind us was not so loud and obnoxious.Special Features:
- Great!!!GicuDined on 10/30/2014We are regulars at LJ. Always great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Market Menu Well DoneIcemanVIPDined on 10/25/2014Market Menu changes frequently so it is like visiting a new restaurant each time we visit! It was amazing food and service as usual! Even though the dress code has relaxed, this is still fine dining which is hard to find in Hagerstown....Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Golfer1Dined on 10/24/2014Always a terrific dining experience! The remodel was done tastefully and still keeps the restaurant's wonderful classy vibe! Chef did a wonderful job, as usual!Special Features:
- ExcellentfarmerJDined on 10/18/2014Everything was excellent. The atmosphere, food service and especially the the food.Special Features:
- AmazingCIndyDined on 10/17/2014This was our second visit and we were blown away by the changes in the decor! Very warm and comfortable atomsphere! So romantic! We had a table by the fireplace....perfect!! Our server was top-notch! Would recommend Ljs to everyone! Our new favourite restaurant!!!Special Features:
- Lovely place, good menu and serviceswilson1958VIPDined on 10/11/2014Our third visit and we were very impressed at their remodeling. Lovely, comfortable, and welcoming. Very attractive bar. Almost no wait. Service: Attentive and friendly but not hovering. Just as it should be. Food: We both have a food allergy (anything in the onion family). My spouse's pork chop was excellent; the chef free-styled a great sauce that was onion-free. The root veggies were prepared so that the delicious ingredients did the talking -- very well-done. They were short on vegetarian options so I ad-libbed. That's really the only suggestion I'd make is celebrate veggies more (and not with pasta or risoto substitutes). We do really like this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great nightdakotaDined on 9/23/2014the food was delicious and the service was absolutely perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- change is goodmomoffoodiesDined on 9/19/2014Loved the changes to both the décor and the staff uniform. The dining room feels more open and friendly, while still maintaining nice Bistro look. Thank you for getting rid of the dreadful brown polyester uniforms - non of your lovely wait staff was enhanced by them - the seem more relaxed and friendly - yet still provide knowledgeable and efficient service. Food fabulous as always - 2 dines 1 had the tuna with the sticky rice and the dashi broth and I had the rockfish. We would have happily traded as both were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Great atomsphereAlicatODDined on 9/18/2014The wait staff was very attentive, the food was unique and the selection was excellent. My one and only complaint is that they are heavy with the salt. I have eaten here several times and it is a consistent issue. I love the openness of the dining area.Special Features:
- Great Fine Dining OptionIcemanVIPDined on 9/16/2014Even though the makeover has IMO made the restaurant a little too casual, the food quality and service is still amazing. We both tried the Market menu the other night and every course was on point. Highly recommend for a fine dining experience. It is refreshing that the tasting menu changes frequently, allows for the restaurant to offer something new on every visit.Special Features:
- May have been the best meal ever!LovetoeatoutDined on 8/29/2014We travel and eat out a lot and were so happy to find this restaurant close to home. The bar/lounge atmosphere is intimate and modern. The drink menu was unique and unusual so the bartender made some recommendations and the drinks were fantastic! We moved into the dining room for dinner. The dining room was beautiful and the food was just amazing...from the appetizer to the salad to the entree right through dessert. I can't wait to go back and would highly recommend it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerRicoleDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I had a wonderful experience! The service and food was beyond our expectation. The staff went above and beyond. They individually tailored our experience by giving us commemorative menus and small gift of food. On our way out many staff congratulated and wish us a happy anniversary. My wife commented that the service made her feel very special. We both enjoyed the salad, steak, and sides the accompanied our entree. I would highly recommend LJ's and the Kat Lounge.Special Features:
- New menu is too limitedDCFoodieDined on 8/19/2014I don't like the new menu. I ordered the burger and it was pretty bad. Two days later, I still taste it. The desserts were amazing and so was the service.
- poppizVIPDined on 8/16/2014A work of art.Decor, Service,Food,Drinks Wine was as good as any restaurant I frequent.Special Features:
- Top of the ListGREATCATCHDined on 8/16/2014The services was absolutely outstanding from everyone. The food is perfectly prepare with people who have a passion for the business. I found the new menu very exciting. I loved the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer our go-to special placePcpaDined on 8/15/2014Our last two visits have been disappointing. Someone has a very heavy hand with the salt. Fries weren't the ethereal things they once were. Smoked ketchup missing some notes. While it wouldn't keep us from coming back, staff looked to be dressed for attending a rodeo. Lastly, someone tried to remove my plate as my mouth was still full from my last bite - she even reached for it. I still had half my entree left!
- Sophisticated but casualBagsrpackedVIPDined on 8/8/2014Stylish decor and friendly staff clued us in early. Dinner would be a great combination of sophisticated but casual fare created by the staff in the open kitchen. We had the Boursin burger which lived up to its reputation along with a Hagerstown Restaurant Week menu that was creative and delicious. Good cocktail and wine list. Calm, casual atmosphere added to the relaxing evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentquiltyDined on 8/5/2014My husband and I like to eat in good restaurants and I don't know why we hadn't eaten here sooner. The food was well prepared, the service attentive, and the decor stylish. I had the tuna which was lightly seared and served warm over sticky rice with a flavorful sauce. We definitely will eat there again.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014Food was excellent. It felt like we were in New York City dining. We strongly recommend this establishment for a wonderful evening out.Special Features:
- The following 550 reviews are from the LJ's & The Kat Lounge reviews archive.
- What is going on?RockitDined on 7/29/2014I certainly hope that LJ's hasn't lost their way. The food and service continue to be over the top, but the new menu and "dress code" changes are very concerning. I used to feel that dining at LJ's was cause for dressing up a bit and enjoying the experience. I now feel like that I can finish mowing the grass, hop in the car without a shower, and grab a burger and a beer. I guess if the add wings, pizza, and a few more tvs, Hagerstown could boast another sports bar.Special Features:
- First impressionlonghikesDined on 7/26/2014The restaurant had a fun ambiance. The waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful. Food was great.Special Features:
- Well Done ChangesDowntownJonVIPDined on 7/19/2014LJs just went through an overhaul of their dining areas and their menu. The LJs favorites are still there, but there are many newly added items, new appetizers and new sides. I didn't think there was much room for improvement with the old LJs, but it turns out that there was! My wife had an old favorite: Buttermilk Chicken and loved it. I had the deviled eggs with smoked salmon filling, a caesar salad, and the salmon. All were excellent. They shook the box a little with the dining room; not that much has changed - though it looks like a lot of the work went into the kitchen. I can't recommend LJ's highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better before the remodelFootmanDined on 7/18/2014Lj's has been one of our favorite dining experiences for my wife and I for the past few years. The recent remodel, while subtle, had taken away from the ambience a little bit. The menu also seemed much more limited. The food/service was very good, but not amazing. This is a very solid dining choice, but not quite as special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MizzWilliams36Dined on 7/15/2014LJ's has been renovated for a more casual feel. The restaurant could be dropped in the middle of NYC, and fit right in. My husband and I really enjoyed the food, ambiance, and service. The tuna was amazing, as was the cashew fried chicken. They serve a beer bread with a crunchy buttery top, accompanied by a honey butter that was just delicious. We are definitely adding LJ's to our restaurant rotation.Special Features:
- 7/15/14HGRTravelerDined on 7/15/2014First time back in a while and the visit coincided with reopening after the recent changes. The overall condition of the restaurant was as nice as ever, but I was somewhat dissapointed in the revised menu from the last time I was there. Starting with getting a paper menu similar to a placemat or a bar menu in other restaurants, to the much scaled back number of choices for true dinner options (as opposed to sandwiches), I was expecting more based on previous LJ's experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDickVIPDined on 6/28/2014Compared to previous dinners there the restaurant is dated. We were told they are remodeling over the next 2 weeks. June 30 to mid July 2014. We will try again but we are going to wait a while.Special Features:
- Another great nightDarrelDined on 6/28/2014We tried the tasting menu for the first time. It was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a sure thingsafetymurphDined on 6/20/2014Been there sev we ran times for special occasions and the food is always great and the staff is always nice. Great times!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3RD TIMEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014This is the 3rd time me and my boyfriend have come for dinner. The service was like clock work , this go round the servers were a little off their game we think they were new. They host was attentive and the food was great as always. We always enjoy this place. we come from Baltimore just to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerKCSwDined on 6/13/2014My husband & I dined at LJ’s for our 17th Anniversary. I had flowers delivered to the restaurant Which they had on our dinner table for us. Table setting was Very Romantic for our special occasion. The wait staff looked really nice & was very polite. For appetizer we had Lobster with pecorino grits that was fabulous. They serviced us bread with our salad & that was tasty. My husband had the beef NY strip steak, LOVED IT! For myself I ordered the chicken buttermilk marinate, that was GREAT! Over all for the price I believe it was worth every bite. We will be back for another special occasion, GREAT FOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerrgr3132Dined on 6/4/2014The staff and management took extra special care of my wife and I during our anniversary dinner. Thanks to Alex for making this a truly special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificSteve3434Dined on 5/24/2014Another great meal at LJ's. This has become our "go to place" for a special occasion or really good meal.Special Features:
- Great place!BraxdinersDined on 5/16/2014My husband and I always have a wonderful time. This resturaunt is the entire package; food, ambiance, wine, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.