Liv's Oyster Bar
166 Main Street
Old Saybrook, CT 06475Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Liv's Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.livsoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 8603955577x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Mon, Weds, Thurs & Fri 4-6pm
Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - Close
Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - Close
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: John Brescio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us to learn how each event is tailor made and customized to your desired experience. We offer off premise catering for events of all sizes.
- Special Events: Mon-Fri: Happy Hour Menu 4-6 PM
A word from Liv's Oyster Bar
Opening in 2006, Liv’s Oyster Bar quickly became a dining destination in Old Saybrook. Inspired by his daughter, Olivia, and years of experience in the restaurant industry, owner John Brescio set out with a desire to welcome the community to his family’s table. Dining at Liv’s, whether in the main room, at the bar, or on the patio, is an experience to be savored with friends and family long after summer on the shoreline has past.The combination of easy comfort and really good food makes Liv’s Oyster Bar in Old Saybrook such a find' - The NY Times.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Liv's Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Old Saybrook ›
Liv's Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)neighborhood gem (53)special occasion (41)vibrant bar scene (24)hot spot (19)romantic (16)notable wine list (15)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Off its A gameGustoDined on 9/13/2014While I'm generally a fan of Liv's and eat there often enough, my recent meal of Asian Short Ribs was as dry as packing material. Most restaurant when a meal is left uneaten either offer a replacement or take the dish off the bill. Not the case at Liv's. On the plus side, at an adjacent table a diner was choking, and the staff promptly and successfully performed the heimlich maneuver. Even if the kitchen can let diners down, they are in the good care of a capable staff.Special Features:
- IMHO - best food in the areaLocalVIPDined on 9/12/2014As a fish lover, i find Liv's is the best. Clean preparation...not too much oil or other distractions from the main attraction. Great apps and salads too.Special Features:
- New favorite restaurantJoyfulDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary this past weekend at Liv's. What a wonderful experience! From the great service to the outstanding food, it has become our new favorite restaurant. We plan to visit again November for a birthday celebration with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice relaxing night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I went for our anniversary. Very pleasant experience. Diversified menu; broad enough so we could try something new, but not so broad that they tried to do everythingSpecial Features:
- Great all the way around!MMHartfordVIPDined on 9/6/2014We've had appetizers at the bar before, and this is the first time we sat down to a full dinner. All I can say is that our part of 4 are picky eaters and we were all extremely happy with our meals. They even serve our favorite Stony Creek beer which just solidifies them as a "neighborhood" gem. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantMollyDined on 9/6/2014Been to livs three times and it seems to get better every time we dine there. We brought guests from New York and they really were impressed.Special Features:
- Wonderful findInfrequentReviewerDined on 9/6/2014We live in NYC and enjoyed the day in Mystic with friends. We wanted to find a place that was on the way back, had a relaxed attitude with excellent food and ambiance. Hello Liv's! There were 5 of us and we split two Oyster taster trays to start - yum! Perfectly fresh, and labeled to make it easier to compare types. I had the trout which was quite memorable, though the two people who had the lobster risotto thought it was good, just not "knock-your-socks-off." The server split the desserts for us - a spectacularly rich chocolate torte, perfectly garnished w/ fresh whipped cream. Service was excellent/Attentive but not obtrusive. We would definitely go back and will recommend to others. Free, easy street parking is also a treat.Special Features:
- Liv's Oyster BarDRobDinerDined on 9/6/2014Ambiance was very nice, service superb. I am a bit of an Oyster Buff: best fresh oysters (Kelly's Reef, CT I have ever tasted. Charred tuna was perfect. We'll be Back-David RobinsonSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014First time at this restaurant. Stay at the Saybrook Point Inn and Spa all the time. How did we miss this gem in the past? Food and service were great. Asking for suggestions, the tomato/crab soup was bland. The halibut was exceptional; the couscus was also bland. We figure the chef does not want to season the dishes. He/she should. Otherwise we totally loved the evening. Would recommend it to anyone in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency Is GreatParticularVIPDined on 8/29/2014The saying "consistency is the hobgoblin of a small mind" should never apply to Liv's. Each time we dine here, we are treated to the same consistent quality of food, excellent service and an overall enjoyable experience. The food variety is the right balance of "regulars" and new creations. The grilled octopus appetizer is equal to any found in Turkey or Greece. The fish and chips balances the taste of fried foods without being heavy. The hangar steak was cooked to the perfect doneness and was tender (not always the case with this cut of beef). The bread is fresh with a great crust (and worth the carbs). And the oysters - say no more as to the variety and freshness. The staff always make the guests feel welcome and never rushed.Special Features:
- A Local GemLINDACVIPDined on 8/29/2014Not our first visit and not our last. Liv's serves quite good food in a crisp upscale atmosphere. Oysters are excellent as is burger. My chilled shrimp cocktail was sadly not as delicious as other times, a little dry and "iodine-y" tasting. They were not meticulously cleaned.Special Features:
- Fine OystersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014My wife and I enjoyed the selection of 6 different oysters from around the Northeast. Liv's special martini was a great start. The calamari was lightly breaded, perfectly cooked to be crispy on the outside and not over cooked on the inside. A very nice meal. The street noise dining on the front patio was an issue at times, especially when Harleys went by insisting on sharing their noise with everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- un-even at bestStefanoVIPDined on 8/28/2014Once again... this restaurant dropped the ball AND on a Thursday night no less !! ........ not even a weekend evening !!! The service was horrible, the food was mediocre, and it just goes on and on! We are locals who have been huge supporters of this restaurant int the past and have given them multiple visits to check their status....... and there is just no consistency at all !! I think we might be done giving them any more "tries" !!
- Lovely SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/27/2014My husband, daughter (14) and I had a wonderful dinner at Liv's during the last week of August. The food was varied (allowing three of us to choose something to our liking) and each dish was better than the next. Service was excellent. If you are in the Saybrook area, I highly recommend your spending one evening at this lovely spot.Special Features:
- Great dinning experiencefunNfoodDined on 8/20/2014Liv's has a romantic and friendly atmosphere and great for couples. I would highly recommend the oysters and the seafood entrees. The ambience enhances the eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/17/2014Excellent food and service. Oysters are exceptional. A bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very positive experencegracelyme48Dined on 8/16/2014We haven't been to Liv's for a few years and I don't know why because the last time we went, it was excellent. In any event, our dining experience this week-end was more than positive. The food was great, the service was efficient and not over-bearing. It was a wonderful time and we will be back sooner rather than later. I guess because we live on the other side of the bridge, we have been eating over here more. But, we will be back and I will give it a positive review when speaking with my friends. I'm not a dessert person, but my husband and his sister ordered dessert, and it was so delicious. I am happy for the owner/chef. A true success story in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always...fabulousNoviceFairfieldFoodieDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I have been to Liv's on several occasions and have never been disappointed. If you like seafood, the food is wonderful but not excessively creative, the service attentive but respectful and the interior beautiful. There is no shtick or gimmicky theme just a very nice dining experience. Of course the fact they had 8 varieties of oysters never hurts the cause in our book...Special Features:
- very nice spotmarkwatDined on 8/4/2014This is a very nice restaurant with great food and very nice service.........great place for a special occasion. ........I would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Best in classChiefDined on 8/4/2014Best restaurant in area! Excellent food preparation. Not just an oyster bar. Service was fast and at tentative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experienceUgmo2Dined on 8/3/2014I reserved a table for 4 on a recent Saturday night, we each had a different seafood item, all we're satisfied. Good service, ambience, not overly loud, we had one drink each, soup, and an entre--came out to $50 ea. including tip. Great place for date night! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Liv's!MidgieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Loved Liv's! A sweet find via Open Table search for Old Saybrook. We had a great meal and the oysters and clams were so fresh and served so cold - the only way! Our server Michael was terrific. The tuna tartar appetizer was amazing and the scallop entree was even better! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great, not this timePubenthusiastDined on 8/1/2014Have eaten here many times, it's usually great: food, drinks, raw bar, etc. Their new summer menu has many great choices. But this time: Seated at a table for two in the front of the restaurant, tables are too close together, banged multiple times by the person behind me. Started with a Dark & Stormy, drink was weak / watery. This drink should have bite; it had none. (Should have sent it back.) Clam chowder was pretty good (though PIPING hot). Main course shrimp and grits were dressed with a sweet sauce that does not complement shrimp or grits. That's my opinion, S&G should be savory not sweet. Menu did not mention it would be sweet. Server was pretty attentive but took forever to bring us our bill.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A PLEASURESHERRYDined on 7/30/2014The meals at Liv's near disappoints! Every course is a delight. My favorite is the BLT wedge Salad with Buffalo Shrimp. One of my favorites that is no longer on the menu is the appetizer Fritto Misto - tell them we want it back! As well as the scallops. Scallops prepared any way! They seemed to change it up a bit but all were spectacular. The coffee and doughnut for dessert is also to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/30/2014Good selection of the freshest oysters. (Try the Beausoleil oysters - creamy good). We were a group of 6 and all of our food was very tasty and prepared to the highest standards. The ambience is fine but a little stark. The food makes up for it, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, as AlwaysBobTVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great atmosphere. Everyone goes there. We see lots of friends there every time we go. Consistent food and great drinks.Special Features:
- JadedJadedVIPDined on 7/21/2014Food was good not many people in restaurant but it took 30 plus minutes from salad to main course much too longI would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersHuskerDined on 7/20/2014You're one of the few places with fantastic oysters. Thanks! Michael, our waitperson was gracious and attentive. Your menu was excellent - difficult to limit our choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- see foodbobsVIPDined on 7/17/2014New chef, he is holdig up the tradition of fine seafood. A respected site for fish dinng.Special Features:
- AWESOME!SHERRYDined on 7/17/2014Liv's is always mixing it up. The menu has some fresh items and some tried and true. I have to say I truly missed the Stonington Scallops - they were a never-miss no matter how they were prepared. The service is impeccable; efficient and friendly. The owner, John, is always delightful. His creative genius is never missed on us. This is one of my favorite restaurants of all time. The BLT salad with Buffalo Shrimp is a must-have!Special Features:
- OK…..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014Lobster roll very dry and scant on lobster. Overpriced. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Fit for a NYC foodieamatuerchefVIPDined on 7/14/2014This place is a pearl. Oysters were fresh, cleanly shucked, cold and had the qualities "as described" on the menu. A wonderful touch for those who are oyster aficionados is that each different oyster on a platter is identified by name with a flag. Asparagus appetizer with Burrata and prosciutto was delicate and flavorful a terrific dish as was the tuna tartar. the soft shell crab main course lived up to the waiter recommendation, with light flaky crust, and accompaniments. Liv holds it own with the best in Manhattan without the attitude. Keep up the high quality food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBetteDined on 7/9/2014The tuna with olive oil mashed potatoes was outstanding. The clams appetizer was delicious . The room was noisey. The service was good. It is easy to see why the restaurant was full at 7;15 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special touchkdctDined on 7/7/2014Food was very good, raw bar outstanding, good service. It was noted that a member of our party was celebrating birthday and they were given a special card noting the occasion with a gift card in it. Very classy and much appreciated.Special Features:
- Superior!!!OysterAficionado3Dined on 7/5/2014This was an excellent dining experience! Our dinners were superior and the oysters delicious, our waitress was attentive and friendly and did a superior job. We continue to be impressed with the chef's creative dishes. All are delicious. Our compliments to the chef!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diverse menu, great ambianceAlwaysgood2dineVIPDined on 7/3/2014I really liked the selections and terrific service. The presentation was great and the wait staff superb. I hope to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "Must Try"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014We live in Florida but come to CT for 2 months in the summer. Liv's is one of the first places we head to after we arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Service was great and the food was awesome! We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014This was our first time dining at Liv's and was recommended by a co-worker. It was wonderful, good oysters and shared plates specifically we had tuna tartar and grilled octopus!! Great food, nice atmosphere and good service!! Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEIGHBORHOOD KEEPERLINDACVIPDined on 6/25/2014Upscale casual with pricing to match, this is a lovely little hideout. Attentive servers on a busy early mid-week evening. Generous appetizers are share-able. Oysters and fresh seafood are the stars while burger lovers will be equally pleased. Do try!Special Features: