Liv's Oyster Bar
166 Main Street
Old Saybrook, CT 06475Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Liv's Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.livsoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 8603955577x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Mon, Weds, Thurs & Fri 4-6pm
Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - Close
Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - Close
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: John Brescio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us to learn how each event is tailor made and customized to your desired experience. We offer off premise catering for events of all sizes.
- Special Events: Mon-Fri: Happy Hour Menu 4-6 PM
A word from Liv's Oyster Bar
Opening in 2006, Liv’s Oyster Bar quickly became a dining destination in Old Saybrook. Inspired by his daughter, Olivia, and years of experience in the restaurant industry, owner John Brescio set out with a desire to welcome the community to his family’s table. Dining at Liv’s, whether in the main room, at the bar, or on the patio, is an experience to be savored with friends and family long after summer on the shoreline has past.The combination of easy comfort and really good food makes Liv’s Oyster Bar in Old Saybrook such a find' - The NY Times.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Liv's Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Old Saybrook ›
Liv's Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (38)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (17)notable wine list (17)romantic (16)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014First time at this restaurant. Stay at the Saybrook Point Inn and Spa all the time. How did we miss this gem in the past? Food and service were great. Asking for suggestions, the tomato/crab soup was bland. The halibut was exceptional; the couscus was also bland. We figure the chef does not want to season the dishes. He/she should. Otherwise we totally loved the evening. Would recommend it to anyone in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Local GemLINDACVIPDined on 8/29/2014Not our first visit and not our last. Liv's serves quite good food in a crisp upscale atmosphere. Oysters are excellent as is burger. My chilled shrimp cocktail was sadly not as delicious as other times, a little dry and "iodine-y" tasting. They were not meticulously cleaned.Special Features:
- un-even at bestStefanoVIPDined on 8/28/2014Once again... this restaurant dropped the ball AND on a Thursday night no less !! ........ not even a weekend evening !!! The service was horrible, the food was mediocre, and it just goes on and on! We are locals who have been huge supporters of this restaurant int the past and have given them multiple visits to check their status....... and there is just no consistency at all !! I think we might be done giving them any more "tries" !!
- Great dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Liv's has a romantic and friendly atmosphere and great for couples. I would highly recommend the oysters and the seafood entrees. The ambience enhances the eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/17/2014Excellent food and service. Oysters are exceptional. A bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very positive experencegracelyme48Dined on 8/16/2014We haven't been to Liv's for a few years and I don't know why because the last time we went, it was excellent. In any event, our dining experience this week-end was more than positive. The food was great, the service was efficient and not over-bearing. It was a wonderful time and we will be back sooner rather than later. I guess because we live on the other side of the bridge, we have been eating over here more. But, we will be back and I will give it a positive review when speaking with my friends. I'm not a dessert person, but my husband and his sister ordered dessert, and it was so delicious. I am happy for the owner/chef. A true success story in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always...fabulousNoviceFairfieldFoodieDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I have been to Liv's on several occasions and have never been disappointed. If you like seafood, the food is wonderful but not excessively creative, the service attentive but respectful and the interior beautiful. There is no shtick or gimmicky theme just a very nice dining experience. Of course the fact they had 8 varieties of oysters never hurts the cause in our book...Special Features:
- very nice spotmarkwatDined on 8/4/2014This is a very nice restaurant with great food and very nice service.........great place for a special occasion. ........I would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Best in classChiefDined on 8/4/2014Best restaurant in area! Excellent food preparation. Not just an oyster bar. Service was fast and at tentative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experienceUgmo2Dined on 8/3/2014I reserved a table for 4 on a recent Saturday night, we each had a different seafood item, all we're satisfied. Good service, ambience, not overly loud, we had one drink each, soup, and an entre--came out to $50 ea. including tip. Great place for date night! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Liv's!MidgieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Loved Liv's! A sweet find via Open Table search for Old Saybrook. We had a great meal and the oysters and clams were so fresh and served so cold - the only way! Our server Michael was terrific. The tuna tartar appetizer was amazing and the scallop entree was even better! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great, not this timePubenthusiastDined on 8/1/2014Have eaten here many times, it's usually great: food, drinks, raw bar, etc. Their new summer menu has many great choices. But this time: Seated at a table for two in the front of the restaurant, tables are too close together, banged multiple times by the person behind me. Started with a Dark & Stormy, drink was weak / watery. This drink should have bite; it had none. (Should have sent it back.) Clam chowder was pretty good (though PIPING hot). Main course shrimp and grits were dressed with a sweet sauce that does not complement shrimp or grits. That's my opinion, S&G should be savory not sweet. Menu did not mention it would be sweet. Server was pretty attentive but took forever to bring us our bill.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS A PLEASURESHERRYDined on 7/30/2014The meals at Liv's near disappoints! Every course is a delight. My favorite is the BLT wedge Salad with Buffalo Shrimp. One of my favorites that is no longer on the menu is the appetizer Fritto Misto - tell them we want it back! As well as the scallops. Scallops prepared any way! They seemed to change it up a bit but all were spectacular. The coffee and doughnut for dessert is also to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/30/2014Good selection of the freshest oysters. (Try the Beausoleil oysters - creamy good). We were a group of 6 and all of our food was very tasty and prepared to the highest standards. The ambience is fine but a little stark. The food makes up for it, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, as AlwaysBobTVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great atmosphere. Everyone goes there. We see lots of friends there every time we go. Consistent food and great drinks.Special Features:
- JadedJadedVIPDined on 7/21/2014Food was good not many people in restaurant but it took 30 plus minutes from salad to main course much too longI would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersHuskerDined on 7/20/2014You're one of the few places with fantastic oysters. Thanks! Michael, our waitperson was gracious and attentive. Your menu was excellent - difficult to limit our choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- see foodbobsVIPDined on 7/17/2014New chef, he is holdig up the tradition of fine seafood. A respected site for fish dinng.Special Features:
- AWESOME!SHERRYDined on 7/17/2014Liv's is always mixing it up. The menu has some fresh items and some tried and true. I have to say I truly missed the Stonington Scallops - they were a never-miss no matter how they were prepared. The service is impeccable; efficient and friendly. The owner, John, is always delightful. His creative genius is never missed on us. This is one of my favorite restaurants of all time. The BLT salad with Buffalo Shrimp is a must-have!Special Features:
- OK…..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014Lobster roll very dry and scant on lobster. Overpriced. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Fit for a NYC foodieamatuerchefVIPDined on 7/14/2014This place is a pearl. Oysters were fresh, cleanly shucked, cold and had the qualities "as described" on the menu. A wonderful touch for those who are oyster aficionados is that each different oyster on a platter is identified by name with a flag. Asparagus appetizer with Burrata and prosciutto was delicate and flavorful a terrific dish as was the tuna tartar. the soft shell crab main course lived up to the waiter recommendation, with light flaky crust, and accompaniments. Liv holds it own with the best in Manhattan without the attitude. Keep up the high quality food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBetteDined on 7/9/2014The tuna with olive oil mashed potatoes was outstanding. The clams appetizer was delicious . The room was noisey. The service was good. It is easy to see why the restaurant was full at 7;15 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special touchkdctDined on 7/7/2014Food was very good, raw bar outstanding, good service. It was noted that a member of our party was celebrating birthday and they were given a special card noting the occasion with a gift card in it. Very classy and much appreciated.Special Features:
- Superior!!!OysterAficionado3Dined on 7/5/2014This was an excellent dining experience! Our dinners were superior and the oysters delicious, our waitress was attentive and friendly and did a superior job. We continue to be impressed with the chef's creative dishes. All are delicious. Our compliments to the chef!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diverse menu, great ambianceAlwaysgood2dineVIPDined on 7/3/2014I really liked the selections and terrific service. The presentation was great and the wait staff superb. I hope to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "Must Try"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014We live in Florida but come to CT for 2 months in the summer. Liv's is one of the first places we head to after we arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Service was great and the food was awesome! We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2014This was our first time dining at Liv's and was recommended by a co-worker. It was wonderful, good oysters and shared plates specifically we had tuna tartar and grilled octopus!! Great food, nice atmosphere and good service!! Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEIGHBORHOOD KEEPERLINDACVIPDined on 6/25/2014Upscale casual with pricing to match, this is a lovely little hideout. Attentive servers on a busy early mid-week evening. Generous appetizers are share-able. Oysters and fresh seafood are the stars while burger lovers will be equally pleased. Do try!Special Features:
- georgeDined on 6/22/2014Have dined at Liv's many times. This was a true disappointment. The service was extremely slow. Asked for bread two times and never received it. Asked for water and waited 20 minutes for same. The food was mediocre. As stated before, we have dined at Liv's many times with great results. This was a total change. Unfortunately, this will probably be our last dining experience at this restaurant. For the price, Liv's is definitely not worth it.
- PointmanDined on 6/22/2014Quite nice. 2nd time there. Will go back. Enjoyed it as did our friends
- Disappointment!DexterDined on 6/18/2014We went here for our 10 year anniversary. Specifically asked for a nice table and they seated us smack dab in the middle of the crowed restaurant. Ok, we can deal with that. We ordered from the raw bar. It is an "oyster bar". My oysters were not shucked properly. Two had pieces of shell in them and both plates were served with semi frozen cocktail sauce. We ordered yellow fin tuna and soft shell crab for entrees. My husband also got truffled lobster Mac and cheese. That was a true disappointment. Rubbery lobster and over cooked pasta. For $16 they better try harder. The soft shell crab was over salted and my tuna way over seasoned. Flavor is essential but the chef goes way overboard. Ambitious menu but sadly can't follow through.
- Cold, fresh and tastyoldbluDined on 6/14/2014We had the seafood sampler. The best thing about it was everything was chilled perfectly. The flavor was enhanced by the chilling. We also shared some octopus, crab cake and yellowfin tartare. Every dish was tasty. I originally ordered banana cream pie but the waiter came back and said the chef wouldn't let him serve it because it hadn't set correctly. I then opted for the pistachio gelato. I lucked out because this dessert was perfect.Special Features:
- A good find.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/13/2014We decided to try a place we had never been and were wonderfully surprised. The food was excellent and our waiter was great. Definitely get the grilled octopus to share, outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love Liv'sTeddiDined on 6/11/2014We have been coming to Liv's a lot since Olivia was 4 years old!! Like in the photos on the wall!! We always have a great meal there and come often. Our children give us gift certificates to Liv's also as they know we love it there. They also come with us with our grandchildren when they are in town. Only comment would be to have some round tables as it is easier to talk when we have six or more people in the group!!Special Features:
- OysterAficionado3Dined on 6/8/2014Excellent overall. service outside was a rather slow. did have constant contact with wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing oysters and chowder!localfanDined on 6/8/2014My husband's favorite go to oyster bar on the shoreline. He always gets the seafood or oyster sampler and will eat the whole thing himself. My favorite is the clam chowder... sets the standard and can't find anything close to meeting it.Special Features:
- Best oysters anywhere!!!MagnoliaDined on 6/7/2014The ambience, food, wine and staff are wonderful!! The raw oysters are some of the best I've ever eaten. They are the freshest and best tasting oysters I have ever had! Liv's is one of the best restaurants in CT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent Gem !HaoleguyDined on 6/6/2014This is a restaurant that we visit about 2-3 times a year and always come away with a feeling of why did we wait so long to come back. The reason for the question is that the food is so delicious and is made with fresh ingredients. I have only had superb meals at Liv's. The only ding on this night was the banana cream pie which was a bit dense for something I usually expect to be light textured. The service was very good with an appropriate pace of food delivery and attentiveness. Mixed drinks and wine menu is very thoughtful and reasonably priced. One thing I absolutely like about Liv's is that they use Open Table for reservations. The only reason we don't frequent more often is that Liv's is a 45min drive away. I already miss Liv's.Special Features:
- Still greatDisappointmentVIPDined on 5/31/2014Seasonal residents of Old Lyme and Old Saybrook can rejoice in the fact that Liv's has only gotten better during the "off season". The service is still excellent in that the servers take the time to care about the guests. The revised menu is not large, but has many great choices. Having a large appetizer plus small plates allows for alternatives. Our grilled octopus was reminencent of that found on the shores of the Bospherus in Turkey. The fried oyster sandwich was perfectly prepared as was the fish and chips. The crab and artichoke dip had just enough texture. As usual, the brread is worthy of violating a no-carb diet. In addtion, on a busy Saturday night, our Open Table reservation was honored immediately.Special Features: