Live Sushi Bar
2001 17th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
Potrero Hill / Dogpatch
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Live Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.livesushibar.com/
- Phone: (415) 861-8610
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Jackson Yu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Live Sushi is the premiere sushi caterer in the Bay Area for all of your sushi needs. Our experienced chefs, combined with a phenomenal menu, can create and present unparalleled sushi for your next special event. No event is too large or small for you and your guests to enjoy the highest quality sushi and service available. From sushi platters to on-site sushi bars, we offer the very best of everything sushi.
A word from Live Sushi Bar
Nestled in the heart of Potrero Hill you'll find Live Sushi Bar a "come as you are", comfortable and inviting neighborhood sushi bar; serving both lunch and dinner. Come enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of our casual dining room or grab a seat at the bar and have some fun with our professional and creative sushi chefs. Live Sushi brings a fresh spin to your sushi favorites, offering unique interpretations and creative live specialties including live scallop, live uni, fresh oyster and spanish mackerel. From our specialty rolls to our authentic appetizer, there's something for everyone.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Live Sushi Bar - Best Restaurants in Potrero Hill / Dogpatch ›
Live Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great Experience, Will Dine AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014Fresh fish, tasty rolls, friendly employees and excellent services. Will definite dine again.Special Features:
- Good food very reasonably pricedfoodisgoodDined on 10/13/2014Dined with a few work colleagues. Nice atmosphere, good menu with lots of options to choose from, good food. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Always satisfiedMYChinaSFVIPDined on 9/19/2014I used to work in the area and was able to go every so often,and after a long hiatus, I was able to return again. Food was great like always, service was very friendly and attentive, and the entire experience was just as I remembered - wonderful like always.Special Features:
- Dependable neighborhood sushithenicksterDined on 9/9/2014Love this little neighborhood joint. Great quality sushi, inventive rolls you won't find elsewhere, really friendly service. You feel taken care of. They're very accommodating of kids. It can get a bit loud when it's packed (like 8:30 on a weeknight), so better to go early if you want to hear one another. Apparently they're known for their live umi (sea urchin) and scallops, but I've never had the guts.Special Features:
- very good sushiKellyIVIPDined on 9/4/2014The food and atmosphere were very good. The service was a little confusing as it was done "tag team" by two servers and they misplaced part of our order. We enjoyed the meal and would go back when in the area.Special Features:
- Still good, but used to be betterChien47VIPDined on 8/27/2014I have been a Live Sushi customer from the beginning. The family LOVES the live scallop nigiri preparation. Excellent selection of sake. Recent visits have been disappointing relative to the past. Loud and crowded. Reservations do not prevent having to wait for a table. I wonder if the decline is partly a result of expanding to new locations has distracted management and whether promotion through Groupon has driven traffic above what they can handle. I hope they return to their previous high standard.Special Features:
- Live Sushi Rocks!CatchVIPDined on 8/20/2014Great service and food makes a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, long waitVikinggourmetDined on 8/8/2014Best sushi we have had in SF. We had reserved at table through opentable but we still had to wait 15 min to get seated + an adittional 10 min to order. Still the food was fantastic (or as my 6 year old said, "awsome") and the service was ok.Special Features:
- Quality sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014Great portions of sushi pieces and high quality fish - great find for us in the Mission/Potrero Hill area. The specials off the menu were fresh and delicious, with totally reasonable prices.
- Disappointing overall.RegularVIPDined on 7/19/2014Japanese place. Tempera should be perfect...it was soggy and pretty ugly...enough said.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 7/10/2014The sushi rolls were just average. Nothing to brag about. Each roll was basically composed with one flavor, either spicy, or sour or... There's no complexity whatsoever in the food.
- Still the bestMorganDined on 6/24/2014For my taste, its the best sushi in town. The staff is knowledgable and friendly. The fish is always fresh and they have a number of unique dishes for the true sushi enthusiast. Sit at the bar if you are an adventurous eater!Special Features:
- Chirashi was exceptionalwdsddsVIPDined on 6/16/2014Excellent as usual. Fresh fish and this time the Chirashi was exceptional. Large pieces of fresh fish. A nice amount for the price. The combo bento boxes are always goodSpecial Features:
- My #1 Rec for SF SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/3/2014I come to Live sushi for the quality. This is a small restaurant somewhat off the beaten path as there are no other restaurants around there. Sit at the bar and meet the chefs, they are great guys with razor sharp knives that know exactly what they're doing. Live Sushi also has an exceptional sake menu if sake is your thing. You'll find the more rare variations you don't typically find at more mainstream sushi spots. I recommend the Protero Hill one over the others.Special Features:
- Amazing Findwinedine999VIPDined on 5/23/2014For my birthday Live Sushi sent me a coupon to try a sushi roll. Ok, let's go, I said on a Friday evening. The place was packed. It's noisy, it's crowded, it's happening, and it's a bit too much at the entryway, but once seated it's calmer inside and the service is good. They sat us at the sushi bar - where it was so obvious that the fish was so incredibly fresh and these guys are artists. We ate way too much hamachi b/c it was amazing in every dish we had. We've since been back with friends, which is the best way to go. Order up all kinds of creative rolls (swamp roll!!!) and share share share so you can try it all. Absolutely amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodkristyDined on 5/2/2014We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the fish, and the interesting specialty items. Very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food = fantastic, service = mehUberFoodieVIPDined on 5/2/2014Great neighborhood Japanese restaurant. It was packed for lunch, good thing I made resies! Ordered a couple appetizers and a few rolls - all DELISH! Service was really slow at first, but our waitress was apologetic and did her best to make up for it. She was definitely knowledgable about the menu and proved to be a good waitress, just overwhelmed. Overall, I'd go back because I work in the area but don't expect too much from the service and highly recommend making resies when possible!Special Features:
- UnimpressiveCaldoDined on 4/29/2014The sushi was below average for San Francisco, there are plenty of other places in The City with better sushi at the same price or less expensive. The host gave us an awful table; the place wasn't full and we had a reservation.
- wdsddsVIPDined on 4/22/2014Always good. Fresh fish. Good bento boxes. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- freshest sushi!!ronnier0nDined on 4/18/2014The fish/nigiri was one of the freshest I've had. Price was very reasonable and the service was great. Although the place is kinda small and crowded, it all fit in together and the experience was memorable enough that I would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Poor Service at Live Sushi BarLiveSushiBarDined on 4/3/2014I don't like to give bad reviews but my dining companion and I sat for over half an hour waiting for our food after we ordered while everyone who came into the restaurant after we did, were already served. There were two or three servers and even though they comped us on edamame (we didn't order, the server just brought it over to us)--no explanation for the long delay was given except one of them said the reason was that the mackerel took a long time--were they catching it??? They gave us a 10% discount on the bill but it would have been really nice if a person actually came over to explain why it was taking so long. Just plopping a bowl of edamame on the table while we had sat there for half an hour, wasn't really enough.
- ExpensiveZivZivVIPDined on 3/12/2014My boyfriend and I went there for dinner the other night - I has two vegetable sushi rolls and he had two regular rolls, yet the bill somehow came out to be $90. The sushi wasn't worth the amount of money we paid. I won't be returning.
- The best!MorganDined on 2/27/2014I had driven by Live for years and always wondered about it. I moved to the neighborhood in 2011 and decided to have dinner my first night in the area. It is, to me by far, the best sushi in town. The quality is always amazing. I'm more of a purist and don't go for rolls, tray dishes, etc; though those are very good here too. I order mainly off the specials board and am happy every time! The staff is amazing and service has continued to be top notch these years since that first visit. I go at least once a month if not every 2 weeks. Its a must for sushi lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't bother making a reservationJoshuaVIPDined on 2/15/2014We had a reservation at 7pm. We did not get seated until 25 minutes later. We'd have been just as well-off having showed up without a reservation.
- F-r-e-s-h fresh fresh fresh...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/12/2014Title says it all. The fish is really fresh. The staff here are very friendly and nice. I've been here multiple times and have never had a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service for big groupOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/20/2013We had a meal for 14 on Friday night at Live sushi. The staff were very flexible on numbers (we increased the number to 16 then reduced to 14 with very little frustration). On the night the staff were very attentive with food & booze orders and useful relating to both quantity and what to order. Food was excellent (Hamachi Kama... Killer!). This is probably not a place you would go for formal dining or celebrations but as a great nrighborhood 'go-to' I have no problems giving them 5 stars. Great job live sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/15/2013The grilled squid and SFPD and Bergschneider rolls are outta this world!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good: The hostess andHelenVIPDined on 10/26/2013The good: The hostess and the waitresses were very accommodating. They put up with our group changing around our seating and sitting there for a while. They filled our tea and water as needed without us having to look for them. There is also plenty of parking in the neighborhood which is rare in SF The bad: Just a little too much rice in their sushi rolls. Seaweed salad is a lot like Costco's... nothing special Overall: The food tasted good and I enjoyed my dining experience. I would come back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentAbs1Dined on 10/4/2013Above average sushi at decent prices. Nothing special overall.
- The freshest fishTriplamammaVIPDined on 9/23/2013As always the fish was excellent, fresh and tasty. Great variety. Friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/6/2013Decent sushi for the price. Generous portions. Not the freshest or best sushi I've had but not the worst either. Main complaint is too much sauce on everything... From unagi to rolls... Even the California roll seemed overly mayonnaise-y. Hamachi however was excellent so I'll try one more time and sit at the sushi bar and ask the sushi chef what's freshest/best... Probably if I lived around the corner I would have liked it more...Special Features:
- great, fresh sushi. DyingFoodieBearVIPDined on 9/4/2013great, fresh sushi. Dying to try the live uni and ahi tataki - but have to find a friend to go with me.Special Features:
- Super Sashimi + Service!SuzanneAgasiVIPDined on 8/6/2013I have been to live at least 25 times and consider it to be a Neighborhood Gem! The sashimi was huge and so fresh! My dinner date and I had a platter of 10 salmon sashimi, and was so impressed, we ordered another platter of the same, to go with the delicious Rock & Roll and Spicy Tuna rolls! Good sake and wine. Great service by Mimi, and I can't wait to go back. In fact I am hungry writing this and wish I was devouring Live's fresh sushi and sashimi right now!Special Features:
- A new find for sushi!franinsfDined on 7/21/2013I live very close to Japantown, so have often ended up in there, wandering around and hoping that the next place I try will have good food. Unfortunately, I've been disappointed a lot lately, so thought I'd venture further afield. Live Sushi Bar turned out to be a GREAT choice! The fish was very fresh, well prepared, and the service was excellent. There isn't much ambiance, but with ample parking available, it was fine for a casual dinner. I'll be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the fish was extremely freshFoodieBearVIPDined on 7/12/2013the fish was extremely fresh - specials listed on the board each day.Special Features:
- Always Excellent !DavidDined on 5/31/2013This is a little gem, i would highly recommend it, always there is a fresh choice and live items to chose from - take the advice of the Waitresses and the Sushi chefs, they are always willing to give you ideas and very helpful .. a really great place, i love it ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/18/2013Friendly and engaging staff combined with creative dishes and über fresh product make Live a fantastic choice every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still My Favorite SF Sushi Spot!Sandy94901VIPDined on 5/16/2013The fish could not be fresher, service excellent and prices incredibly reasonable. I actually drive all the way from San Rafael to eat at Live Sushi Bar. That's how good it is!!Special Features:
- Solid Neighborhood SushiGrayVIPDined on 5/4/2013We had been going to Nama and Tsunami recently as our go-to sushi restaurant recently, and decided to give Live a try. We came away very impressed. The fish is very fresh, and the seasonal sashimi plate was outstanding. I would not recommend for a special occasion or anything, but it is the best place locally at a reasonable price point.Special Features:
- Live fresh shrimp, amaebi,wdsddsVIPDined on 5/3/2013Live fresh shrimp, amaebi, delicious. Good combination bento boxes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.