Little Star Pizza
1175 Solano Avenue
Albany, CA 94706Neighborhood:
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
Little Star Pizza
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.littlestarpizza.com/splash3.html
- Phone: (510) 526-7827
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily 11:30am-5:00pm
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Little Star Pizza
Little Star Pizza is the Bay Guardian"s Best of the Bay pizza two years running. We offer both a signature cornmeal deep dish and a traditional thin crust style, as well as beer, wine and a variety of appetizers. With our warm, rustic decor and casual environment, we're a great choice for family night or a night out!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Little Star Pizza - Best Restaurants in Albany ›
Little Star Pizza reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)kid-friendly (25)good for groups (17)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (12)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (4)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- waiters ask"Who gets the Cabernet?"LisaofElCerritoDined on 11/7/2014I was really put off by the runners and waiters here who didn't know which person in my party ordered what. If you are trying to serve a $9 glass of Cabernet and a glass of Diet Coke, you can't just stand there and say "Who ordered the Cabernet?" I can see this happening at my local taco truck but not at a place where I'm dropping $30 per person for dinner! Any good restaurant will have its waiters and runners indicate the diner's table position on their pad. There are different ways they can do this -- for example, the diner closest to the door can be #1, and the waiter can write down the order clockwise; or the diner on the north side of the dining room can be #1, and the waiter can count everyone clockwise too, you get the picture.Special Features:
- Three Cheers for Deep Dish PizzaheyChrisDined on 10/31/2014Little Star is our go to place for great corn meal crust, deep dish pizza. Our all time favorite is the namesake, Little Star. This is a great neighborhood spot for good food that won't break the bank.Special Features:
- The Best PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014We are lucky in the East Bay to have many great pizza places. Little Star is the best for both deep dish and thin crust plus, they have a delicious gluten-free option. The beers on tap are always interesting, the salads are fresh and tasty and the staff is really friendly. A neighborhood favorite for us.Special Features:
- Ups and downszukefreshVIPDined on 9/18/2014Little Star is inconsistent in many ways. The last time was a good one with decent service and great food. It all depends on who's working both the front of the house and the kitchen.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The noise level was too much for us but of course it was Solano Avenue Stroll. There was a noisy group of dancers and drummers just in front of Little Star Pizza at lunch time...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love, love Little Star!FoodJunkieDined on 9/5/2014This was my first visit to Little Star Pizza and I loved it! It's now my favorite pizza restaurant!Special Features:
- Love Little StarbutchpoodleDined on 8/23/2014I love their pizza, but I also love their people! Roni is the sweetest, always a good thing to be in his section. Their menu is slowly expanding so if you've been holding out because salad and pizza are not your best choices, give them a try now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY GOODTylerDined on 8/22/2014Awsome had a wonerful experiance will go back again!!!!Special Features:
- Isabel415VIPDined on 8/15/2014If I'm dieting I have the Greak Salad and my friends have the wonderful deep dish pizza. This was the first time that the salad was not made well. It was almost all lettuce only. Very, very disappointing. I've had this salad at this location and the SF location and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Deep Dish outside of ChicagoLittlestarpizzaloverDined on 8/13/2014This place is outstanding! Their food is consistently tasty with fresh ingredients. Don't even get me started with their deep dish pizzas. They're always delicious no matter which ones you get. Their corn meal crusts are yummy and cooked just right. My family and I are regulars here because we have never been disappointed with either the food or service. I'm so proud to have this restaurant gem in our small neighborhood that I've taken so many of my coworkers here. They're also great for office parties.Special Features:
- Great piesSDS23Dined on 8/10/2014We return for the pizza, what a shocker. The buttery cornmeal crust on the deep dish pizzas is fabulous, as are the fresh and generous tomatoes. At the Albany and Grand Ave (Oakland) locations, it's really hit or miss in terms of the ambiance. Often you get a restaurant filled with very energetic children and occasionally you get lucky and can have a bit more relaxed environment. Always with delicious pies.Special Features:
- Consistent goodnessheyChrisDined on 8/8/2014This eaterie should be named, Super Star! Our thick crust vegetarian pizza was sooo delicious - just the right amount of sauce and cheeese to augment the fresh veggies stuffed into an amazing and slightly crispy cornmeal crust.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizza!fakestevenDined on 8/8/2014Little Star has the best deep-dish pizza ever. I have tried a few other places but nothing beats Little Star.Special Features:
- The following 62 reviews are from the Little Star Pizza reviews archive.
- Amazingly good pizzabayareaprofessionalVIPDined on 7/6/2014Had the goddess salad which was super yummy and the deep dish veggie pizza, for which the waitress has no trouble substituting spinach (yummy) for black olives (yucky). The cornmeal crust is hard to describe but it may just be addictive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but the place is a tad off.BrittpimDined on 7/6/2014I made a reservation easily for two here, online, which I liked. We showed up early and they accommodated us within five minutes which was great. The wait staff was friendly and efficient. The pizza and garlic bread were both very good! Also, the pizza re-heated excellently the next day so dinner twice! There is outdoor seating and it is very child-friendly. Issue one: They ran out of knives. Not the end of the world but still very strange for they were busy but not overcrowded, and still, how does one run out of butter knives? Their solution to the (spread your own) garlic bread: a pizza server. Issue two: the menu. Please describe that the sauce is on top of the pizza, what brand drinks are and the garlic bread is spread your own, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best deep dish pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014Little Star is a comfortable place to have what is potentially the best deep dish pizza anywhere in the country. Crispy, buttery, cornmeal-containing crust with lots of clean tomato taste. Not overly laden with cheese. Just delicious.Special Features:
- Better carry out than dine in...ChinoisDined on 6/26/2014I do enjoy the food from Little Star but from going forward, would much prefer to get food to go instead of dining in. Even with out OpenTable reservation, we waited over 20 minutes for our 7pm reservation. I did appreciate the staff keeping us posted with our wait time. They offered us (table of 5) an order of garlic bread on the house. But it was a "special occasion" and the wait did delay our schedule. I will be craving pizza (particularly the deep dish corn bread crust) from Little Star very soon but will choose not to dine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza in town.SandrabeeDined on 6/21/2014We love Little Star Pizza and go there almost once a week. Both thin crust and deep dish pizzas are very good. They have several regular menu choices or you can choose your own ingredients from a good list, which is what we usually do. The staff members are always friendly and helpful. They also have a pretty good selection of different beers and wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Pizza & MoreEmeryvilleDinerVIPDined on 6/8/2014Went to Little Star after a recommendation from a friend. I was NOT disappointed. Jeffrey, our server, was very attentive without being overbearing, I will ask for him again next time I go (and you should as well). The garlic bread with fresh roasted cloves of garlic is amazing - very sweet and not the least bit oevrpowering. The deep dish pizza with the cornmeal crust is out of this world. I had the Brass Monkey (which is not on the menu). It's the Little Star pizza with sausage added. One of the best pizzas I have had in the Bay area. Would not hesitate to go back again!!!Special Features:
- Great pizza!Chicago2012Dined on 5/31/2014Went to the Albany Twin for a show then stopped into Little Star for dinner, our server was very friendly and the salad and deep dish pizza was tasty. Having had Zachary's before, I think I prefer Little Star. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/29/2014Was pleasantly surprised with the food, the pizza was uniquely delicious. Was pleasantly surprised with the tastiness of the cornmeal crust deep dish pizza. Great ambience, wonderful service. We arrived for an early dinner, and really picked up by the time we left. Very popular restaurant!Special Features:
- Favorite pizzaSandrabeeDined on 5/26/2014This is our favorite pizza restaurant. We go there almost once a week. Very good food--salads as well as pizza. Recommend the "Little Gems" salad; small size is large enough for two with a pizza. The wine and beer lists are very good. Friendly, accommodating staff. Good for families--we take our children and grandchildren there occasionally. We're pleased that they're now taking reservations through Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurant!dinerwholovesgoodserviceVIPDined on 5/24/2014This place is a true gem. I can not believe what excellent, considerate, friendly service they always give to such a wide-diversity of customers! Food is just great.Special Features:
- This is the Place 4 Deep Dish PizzaLuv2DineDined on 5/16/2014Fresh ingredients used in all their pizzas! YUM!! Salads a fresh and delish as well.Special Features:
- Best In The WestLittleStarButBigTasteDined on 4/25/2014Before I tried Little Star I was a fan of deep dish pizza from their competitor. However, since then I went back one time to do a comparison and I was disappointed with what I received and never went back. I live in Oakland and commute to the location when I want pizza so that means a lot especially from me cause I'm a picky eater. I recommend everyone should at least give them a go one time. Once you do you will never view deep dish pizza the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations not metOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/18/2014The taste of the food did not meet our expectations. The service was quite poor as well.
- Great Pizza and SaladsGoodVIPDined on 4/13/2014So glad we discovered Little Star a few months ago. The Goddess Salad is fantastic and the pizza exceptionally good! Service great this time for our big birthday group.Special Features:
- Slow, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2014The service at Little Star was TERRIBLE. There were 8 in our group including small children. The place was NOT very busy when we arrived yet we had to wait 20 minutes after being seated before any waitperson showed would take our orders. The food was fine but hardly worth the long, needless wait.
- Not our best visitBlakemontDined on 4/4/2014The food was great as usual. Service was a different story. The restaurant was nearly empty and they would not accomodate us changing tables to a spot not in the sun. Server was not his jovial self and was not very helpful in other requests.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hands Down Best Deep DishOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/22/2014I've never been a big fan of deep dish because I always found it to be so heavy that it would sit in my stomach like a ton of lead. I had only tried the other deep dish in town so I had no other point of reference until now. Long story short, the cornmeal crust makes all the difference in the world. It is light, textured and holds up well to the toppings. Once you go Little Star, you will never want to go back to any other deep dish pizza. Oh, and get the signature Little Star, delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Deep Dish!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2014Love the wood and warmth of the interior at this spot on Solano, near the Albany Movie Theater. Service is efficient and cordial, leaving you free to focus on your companion(s) and conversation. The pizza is delicious, with a crispy crust that is unexpected given the deep dish of juicy tomatoes, cheese and your other selection of ingredients. I think it is the freshness of the ingredients that really make this pizza a farm-to-table standout. Definitely will go again!Special Features:
- The better, less famous, Zachary'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2014If you're looking for a change from Zachary's, this is the place. I actually choose this place over Zachary's. They have great topping choices, including roasted garlic and roasted zucchini. They serve both deep dish and thin crust, but I've never had thin crust. Their garlic bread appetizer is just sourdough bread, roasted garlic, and softened butter. Highly recommended, and always delicious. They have local beers on tap and in stock. Their atmosphere is a little tight and quite loud, but it's a great place to hang out with friends, or go on date #15. Best part: their crust is CORNMEAL; it's not gooey, just delicious. When we went with an OpenTable reservation, we got there early, but still got seated immediately. How awesome is that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FindClimbersDined on 1/15/2014We were a group of 4 adults that wanted a bite to eat and a beer before going to an appoint at 7p.m. It was great food, great service and a good place to go. We will head back there again soon. The White pie was outstanding!Special Features:
- PizzaFoodie46Dined on 1/12/2014Deep dish - too few mushrooms and light on the sausage. Crust was a coarse meal (almost a corn bread), next lots of cheese, then your selected items and topped off with a thick tomato sause. Average.
- Best WINGS ever!Dontgobaconmyheart209Dined on 1/4/2014Yes the pizza here is very good. One of my favorite, however, the real star of this place for me is the WINGS. I dont know what they marinate or rub them with but it is simply the best!! They aren't messy with unnecessary sauces. They are packed with robust smoky flavor and just enough heat. I will drive all the way from the 209 for these wings! Also, the services is always great! Very friendly and timely. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/1/2014Popular place. Great pizza. Make reservations if you want a table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lemonade from lemonsCalDinerVIPDined on 12/29/2013Little Star messed up reservations and we waited (big group) an hour to be seated. Sucked. But they treated for free 1st round of drinks and let us wait at the bar. Service thus 1 star for goof and 5 stars for make-up equals 3 stars. Thin pizza yum - 15 minutes to make. Deep dish 30 minutes (never tried because thin is so good.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemissataDined on 12/8/2013So happy that Little Star decided to open up their first restaurant in the East Bay in Albany! Out of all the places, Solano Ave was the one. It's a quick walk from my boyfriend's house and a favorite of ours. We introduced it to so many of our friends who come to visit. They're usually always busy, so I like making reservations ahead, especially through Open Table. It makes it so easy. I always get their deep dish pizza, spicy wings, and a salad here. To share of course. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The thin crust ROCKS!bellygrowlsDined on 11/23/2013Little Star is excellent if you are a fan of thin crust pizza. The ingredients are fresh and the pizzas are remarkably yummy. The ambiance during our visit was less than enjoyable, simply because there was a table of small children whose parents apparently think it's okay to allow their children to use a restaurant's silverware and dishes as musical instruments. Frankly, I go out to dinner and spend money to enjoy the relaxation afforded by escaping my own kitchen now and then. Uncontrolled kids should be left at home or charged extra! But enough of that rant. Go to Little Star, by all means. It's delicious and the staff is very pleasant. But be sure to reserve a table or you could be faced with an hour-long wait list (it's that good)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good deep dish!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/12/2013The pizza was good, no complaint. Friendly service, good beer and wine selection. No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.