199 Prince Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://littleprincesoho.com/
- Phone: (212) 335-0566
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Matt Conroy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Little Prince
Little Prince is now open at 199 Prince Street in SoHo (between Sullivan St. and MacDougal St.) This new destination, featuring Chef Matt Conroy, aims to be a cozy neighborhood stand-by. Featuring classic French bistro items, the menu includes Skate Grenobloise, Bistro Chicken and Steak au Poivre, in addition to lighter fare such as Steak Tartare, Ratatouille and Mussels. Signature specials include an “off-menu” French Onion Soup Burger with caramelized onions and gruyere. Little Prince will also feature a frequently rotating beer program, highlighting unique French and local beers and seasonal French cocktails. Dramatic floral arrangements accent the light-filled space, which has floor-to-ceiling windows that look out on bustling Prince Street. Caramel banquettes line the walls and the wooden bar is warmly lit by classic globe pendant lamps. Hand-painted ceramic floor tiles complete the bistro ambience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Little Prince reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (55)fit for foodies (45)romantic (32)great for brunch (17)hot spot (15)great for lunch (14)great for outdoor dining (13)special occasion (12)notable wine list (8)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- LPFamilyVIPDined on 11/12/2014We really enjoyed the food and as always the location but the noise level was excruciating to the point where it was difficult tho carry on a conversation without yelling. My suggestion is to go at lunch where the noise is less. It is not the best place for a business conversation at night. In any event the food was so good, it was easy to overlook the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonnieVIPDined on 11/1/2014How interesting: the range of reviews on Little Prince. We have never had a bad experience, either in the greeting, the service or the food. Ignore the negative comments; you won't be sorry. Do know that the space is cozy, very cozy. We will return yet again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/25/2014Lovely dinner - the steak frites were great. Nice spot for a date night or dinner with a small group of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly disappointed.MoodywordsmithVIPDined on 10/21/2014I rarely write unfavorable reviews because, well, opinions are naturally subjective. But at a certain price point I think both prospective diners and the restaurant itself should be aware when there is a shift in quality. And this was the case with Little Prince. I dined here when they first opened and enjoyed the entire experience immensely. Haven't been in a while but I walk by there daily and it has sustained it's popularity. Fast forward to the other day, had early reservations to get there before the crowds but even then the service was not disinterested, just anemic. Food? Not nearly as well executed as the first time. Not a fan of being served lukewarm food. Maybe it was an off night.
- Fun place for dinner with friendsLoganDined on 10/18/2014Went on a double date night with great friends and left kids with sitter. Perfect place for a fun night out with sceney vibe but also very good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tomcat45VIPDined on 10/2/2014Little Prince was recommended to us so we gave it a try. I had the Onion Soup burger and my wife had the chicken. Both were very good. I had read some of the reviews where people commented that the burger was sloppy to eat and that the fries were a bit greasy. While the burger is served on an english muffin, which I really prefer, there is less bread and it can be a little messy to eat - but really - you're eating a burger, and one of the best around - so enjoy the effort. And the fries were very good as well. We will be back.Special Features:
- goodfindDined on 9/23/2014Great restaurant, food excellent, service fast, ambiance lovelySpecial Features:
- Great Casual BistroM2SAVIPDined on 9/20/2014Friendly service, casual bistro setting, and food that is an elevated (yet unpretentious) version of bistro classics. On a warm summer evening the large open windows enhanced the ambience and let a bit of the noise out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014Lovely spot for brunch. We were able to sit at one of the few outdoor tables and it was a perfect morning for it. The monte cristo was decadent, and the beets as a side were fabulous.Special Features:
- lillyDined on 9/11/2014Nice place. Enjoyed the salmon entrée. Service was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, poor serviceIndyAdGuyDined on 9/6/2014The food is incredible. Every bite we were saying "wow" about. Perfectly seasoned, well-balanced, beautifully fresh, and great portions. Cocktails were great too. Unfortunately, the service left a lot to be desired. From the hostess to the server, a lack of polish, professionalism and general knowledge of the service industry. Server never made eye contact, forgot our order, put in the wrong side, never asked how anything was (it was delicious, we would have been happy to tell him so). We'd return in a heartbeat, the food is truly fantastic, but would know to expect poor service.Special Features:
- Treat for TastebudsInaraDined on 9/4/2014Ranging from cocktails, through appetizers, entrees and wine, this charming restaurant is a real taste treat. Creative bartender pours innovative cocktails with a respectful nod to the classics. The chef delivers excellently prepared dishes with just the right balance of flavors without the fuss. My chicken was unbelievably moist and tender with a unique, well-seasoned sauce and my husband enjoyed some of the best steak-frites he's had in a while. The Gigondas that accompanied the meal was amazing! This cozy, attractive bistro, reasonably priced is a rare find. I do look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, hold the disco musictheelkVIPDined on 8/31/2014The mussels were amazing. My wife loved the Skate and I thought the steak frites were delicious. Swe both enjoyed the crispy frites. The music was too loud and the service was spotty but nice.Special Features:
- DisappointingsirhcepepVIPDined on 8/31/2014After NY Mag's Adam Platt trumped up Little Prince as one of the better new French restaurants that the city has to offer, I made it my mission to try it on a quiet Labor Day weekend. You might want to call me out for believing I would experience the best this place (let alone any restaurant) has to offer on a weekend when the A-team staff assuredly took off, and maybe you're right. Still, the experience was not up to snuff thanks to poorly timed & understaffed service that overshadowed the food. Great appetizers, decent entrees that sat in the kitchen too long, sides that the waiter never bothered to mention to the kitchen, and coffee and desserts sent free of charge to improve the situation. If Little Prince is to survive, it needs work.Special Features:
- Excellent!SouchVIPDined on 8/23/2014HIGHLY recommend! Food was amazing, service was great and the vibe is awesome! Great for lunch, dinner and everything in between. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a great spot!sthrngrlnycVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food is wonderful and the ambience is fun. We had a brand-new server who was very nice but a little bit slow. But it didn't matter - everything esle was amazing. We had the quinoa kale appetizer, and I had the shrimp entree and my husband had the steak frites. The steak frites was so good I didn't even get a bite! Will definitely be coming back (so I can get my own steak frites)!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/20/2014very much enjoyed my meal there last night....everything we ordered was delicious...I had the steak frites along with a couple of appetizersSpecial Features:
- Lovely little spot with fine food.NiiaVIPDined on 8/19/2014This is the type of place you would think Soho would be full of - a charming, friendly place serving top notch food. But there are not many places like this - and this is a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French. Onion. Soup. Burger.ChrisVermontDined on 7/30/2014The food is very tasty and the wine is good. The atmosphere pleasant, and the staff is professional. It's a little cramped, french bistro style, and you can really hear the conversations at neighboring tables.Special Features:
- The following 50 reviews are from the Little Prince reviews archive.
- Difference in serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/24/2014Eaten here in the past but unhappy with service this time. May not go back...Special Features:
- Great brunch in SOHOListingBucketDined on 7/19/2014Very positive experience. Excellent brunch selections and imaginative bartending in an extremely pleasant room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- earsplitting noise levelsIZ817VIPDined on 6/25/2014this has been one of my favorite neighborhood spots when dining early but if you go at 8pm or later, it is impossible to have a conversation. the maitre d' likes to add to the noise level by playing a tambourine. additionally, it has become a hot spot for panhandlers to hit up those dining outdoors with some even coming right into the restaurant to approach tables AND the restaurant staff does NOTHING to protect the diners or to remove the panhandlers. it was like being in the subway - horrific!Special Features:
- delicious and adorableAmaraVIPDined on 6/25/2014Delicious meal and what an adorable space. Defintiely recommend it.Special Features:
- What you do for a viewfoodgalDined on 6/19/2014The best part of our dining experience was that we were able to sit outside on a balcony that was raised slightly from the side walk. The people watching was fabulous and even though it began to rain, we were well protected and looked after by the friendly staff. The wine was very nice and the avocado toast appetizer was delicious, however, our fish entrée and side dishes were lack-luster. We opted for the chocolate s'amore desert-- which was interesting, but not worth having again. I would go back for wine and an appetizer, but I don't think I'd have dinner again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Awful ServiceKBMP116Dined on 6/5/2014Food is yummy, the warm bread is unreal. Ambience is beautiful. But never have I felt that I was more of a bother to restaurant staff, simply by showing up for a reservation (on time). Some choice quotes: Me: "Can we get one more water glass please?" Server: "Um, what's your name?" Me: "[Name]." Server: "Okay [name], it's called trust."* He then pulls out additional water glass. *A polite response would have been, "Yes I have one right here!" Server (after being MIA for 20 min): "What do you want?" Us: "Well, are there any specials?" Server: "Nope." Other minuses: - Table not ready upon arrival - Appetizer ordered as an entree came out before other entrees - Polite feedback given to maitre'd after the meal was basically dismissed.Special Features:
- MayorDVIPDined on 6/3/2014Very disappointed, Limited menu, Hot and humid interior. Not likely to return.
- Dutch4760Dined on 5/28/2014The wine list is short and this is the second time we were there and selected a bottle of wine which they did not have in stock. The noise is very loud and sometime way to much to enjoy your meal. With that said, the food is always great and we enjoy the restaurant.Special Features:
- Recommend to allMarissaVIPDined on 5/27/2014I recommend this restaurant to everyone- whether for a casual weekday dinner, or weekend occasion, or brunch. Waiters are so kind and fun. Food is delicious! Quaint and fabulous yet unpretentious.Special Features:
- Fantastic Neighborhood Gem!southerntocityDined on 5/25/2014Little Prince is a great little restaurant tucked in the Village/South Village. I have been here a few times, and it is superb every time. Great food and atmosphere! You can come alone and sit at the bar or come with a couple friends for a relaxing, but fun brunch! Love this place!Special Features:
- Great food, horrible service!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/20/2014I took some clients here for lunch. The place is adorable and the menu looked great and we were starving. Unfortunely, there was only three people helping service the place so it took forever for us to get 1) Menu's. 2) We had to ask for bread once we saw another table get bread. 3) our food 4) took forever to get our bill. We litterally had to waive down anybody that would look at us to get any attention. Unfortunately, the host had to double as the waiter and the bartendar had to bus the tables. I had the french onion soup burger and it was delicious. I might give it another try because of the quality of the food but if this is typical of their service I would never come back.Special Features:
- Beware an inconsistent kitchenIZ817VIPDined on 5/16/2014Love Little Prince for the service which is absolutely amazing, the ambiance and the food. i normally get the salmon or the chicken - both delicious. however, while the roast chicken is ALWAYS spot on, the salmon is very inconsistent. it is supposed to be served with smoky salsa-type of sauce that is phenomenal when the stars are aligned in the kitchen. unfortunately, that sauce is more or less smoky every time i go which makes it tricky to order.Special Features:
- Cute little placeLindaDined on 5/10/2014The food was very good and the ambience was quaint, but it was very noisy. This made it difficult to have a conversation with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, awful serviceMontanaVIPDined on 5/8/2014We got seated fairly quickly as we had reservations (Thursday night) but then waited 25 MINUTES for menus and water! I had started looking up other restaurants in the area to move to. There was ONE WAITER for 36 seats (all full, it was very busy) yet they had 2 hosts who were also acting as bussers. Thankfully they also had a dedicated food runner. Starters were good- onion soup and roasted carrot salad. My dining companion loved the skate and I chose poorly with the steak frites. They were decent but I think other things would have been better. We left before dessert because we had already been there two hours!!!! Probably won't be returning unfortunately.Special Features:
- Disappointing...LocalVIPDined on 5/7/2014Very soon after our arrival, the place was packed with people seated cheek by jowl, most of whom seemed to be shouting at one another. This made conversation impossible and ruined what might have been an OK dining experience. Our waiter was hopeless. It took nearly an hour to get a bottle of wine, because he told us repeatedly that the wines we ordered were out of stock. After several tries, he finally brought us one of the wines we had previously told us wasn't available. After taking our order, he disappeared, and never came by to ask if the food was OK. We had to flag down someone else to ask to have my friend's dish cooked a bit more. We're not likely to go back soon.Special Features:
- Always Delicious and Fun!KrisVIPDined on 5/7/2014This is a lovely little spot with a terrific ambiance and delicious food. The wait staff is charming and the overall vibe is lively and fun. It is tiny and often crowed so it can get a little noisy but the food is so delicious and everyone is so nice that you tend not to notice. Love this place!Special Features:
- DisappointingjamiVIPDined on 5/6/2014Sorry...i dont often write bad reviews..but i was pretty disappointed in the experience at Little Prince. It started off well with amazing salted butter and warm bread (simple pleasures make for a great start!) but then i'm actually not sure who our waiter was. We must have had 4 different people visit our table, never consistently to take our order, deliver the food, and (hardly) check up afterwards. I'm sure everyone at our table would have ate more and drank more had there been any servers in site. If the food was impeccable, maybe this horrible service could slide. But with only so-so food, at pretty significant prices, with little service, i would go to many different places when in this hot spot of SoHo next time. Sorry guys!
- Worst everPrincefelldownDined on 5/2/2014I had a reservation for 5 which is always difficult for a restaurant but we were seated at a table for 4 and 3 were squished on a bench so tightly that it would have literally been impossible to eat. Stupid. Told him so and he moved us rudely. We sat at a table by the kitchen with a seat at the end of a four top where the staff had to struggle to get by. The food was good but would have neede to be totally great to over come. Icing on the cake: I paid and tipped well I might add. Probably 22-23%. We lingered for a moment. There were three other empty tables in the place and the maître d (had his arm in a sling) came over a asked us to leave. As I said "Worst Ever"!
- neighborhood gemIZ817VIPDined on 4/30/2014wonderful, warm welcome and service and great food - i recommend the mussels or quinoa salad to start, the roast chicken or the salmon as a main. wine list is good and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Not GreatSweetpeaVIPDined on 4/29/2014Selected Little Prince based on the Open Table reviews. Unfortunately, we didn't have a very good experience. The place is really small so we felt like we were dining with the people next to us. The service was slow and the food was mixed. Our salads were very good as was the bread. Our entrees - we both had steak frites - was off. Steak had a weird taste - but the fries were quite tasty. Dessert offerings were extremely limited so we passed. Given the other great places in this neighborhood - we wouldn't go back.
- Springtime in ParisJMicheleVIPDined on 4/27/2014I live in Greenwich Village just a few blocks from Little Prince and finally went for dinner, after walking by many times and admiring how charming the place was. From the friendly staff handing flowers to each lady who enters the restaurant to the fabulous food, it was a great experience. I felt transported to Paris in the Spring. I highly recommend the beef tartare. It's quite possibly the best I've ever had. My boyfriend is a big wine drinker and was very impressed with the list. The signature cocktails we had before eating were fantastic as well. Little Prince is officially a new favorite of mine.Special Features: