1234 Locust Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.littlenonnas.com/
- Phone: 2155462100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45am - 2:45pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Marcie Turney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Little Nonna's
Little Nonna’s is an Italian-American eatery in Center City’s bustling Midtown Village. Inspired by the “red sauce” family-owned ristorantes of Italian immigrants, Chef Turney offers thoughtful interpretations of homestyle Italian-American dishes with an all-Italian wine list and handcrafted cocktails. The cozy 40-seat restaurant is evocative of an Italian grandmother’s living room, circa 1950, featuring vintage lace in the windows, hanging antique copper pots and an outdoor garden that seats an additional 40 guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Little Nonna's reviews from OpenTable diners
441 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (295)fit for foodies (261)great for outdoor dining (194)romantic (160)special occasion (130)hot spot (76)great for lunch (70)good for groups (43)notable wine list (28)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (18)great for brunch (12)scenic view (10)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- WonderfulDillmen110Dined on 10/20/2014Amazing food, atmosphere and service. Going to become a staple in our dining repertoire!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie Chef in the KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014The braised short rib sandwich with a side salad of bitter greens, and the rigatoni con zucca, were executed with an extraordinary level of skill and detail in terms of taste, pairing, amount, and presentation. Each mouthful was a delight, and lunch was just perfect.Special Features:
- very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014first time..very pleased..everything was made to perfection.. servers could not have been more accommodating and attentive..Special Features:
- Great place for a date!randomnicknameDined on 10/18/2014I went here with my girlfriend for date night, and I could not be happier with the experience. Great service, delicious food (especially the spaghetti and meatballs), and great ambience (quiet, but not too quiet, and really romantic vibe). You definitely should reserve a table if you really want to go; it got really busy on a Saturday night. Excellent overallSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014One of the worst meals I have had in Philadelphia!Special Features:
- Wonderful!GladwyneGirlVIPDined on 10/17/2014Hard to get in- but worth the wait. Everything was delicious, uncomplicated, straightforward Italian. Little Nonna got it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First time Great findLindaVIPDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I go out for early meals before the Orchestra on Thursday nights, so our geography is limited but our choice of restaurants is not. This week we decided to try something new and went to Little Nonna's and wasn't disappointed. We started with sharing croquette style mushroom luscious balls that just melted in my mouth. We ordered the garlic bread, which was good. My husband had the seafood mixto and I had the rigatoni with eggplant and lamb sausage. Mine was just divine. My husband loved his. The wine selection was small, totally Italian, but very, very good. Everything was reasonably priced for the exceptionally high quality received. I'm looking forward to returning. Our server was Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014love the outside garden while the everything was really good/ well prepared, we all felt that it was too salty- no need to add salt to such good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014Dilicious and excellent Service. Will be back. Waitress was super informed and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Italian RestaurantElizabethDined on 10/14/2014I have now dined at Little Nonna's twice, and cannot wait to return! The first time I went was with my mom, sister, and best friend, and we had a wonderful time and tried a little of everything. The caesar salad is the best I have ever had, and I dream about the meatballs weekly. Most recently I went here on a date and it was so nice to sit near each other and enjoy the wonderful atmosphere and flavorful food. I love that the wine lists includes a reasonably priced, superb chianti. We got the garlic break, meatballs, and gnocchi. All were delicious at dinner, and the next day as leftovers. I can't wait for my next excuse to come back.Special Features:
- disappointedglbltvlrVIPDined on 10/13/2014Our first time there, had meat ball, eggplant, and spaghetti with meatball as recommended by our waitress, also had garlic bread and later desert. The bread was very good, eggplant was ok except for a little burt. The others are mediocre, meatballs seemed not heated through. The tiramisu is even more disappointing, mashed looking, tasted soggy. Not impressed at all.
- KJ5200Dined on 10/12/2014Had a great time; the food and wine selection was good, but it is the overall ambiance of that makes this restaurant a special place.Special Features:
- Very Tasty ItalianoJkraziDined on 10/9/2014Went here to complete our visits to Jamenero, Lolita, and Barbuzzo, all which we loved. Service and ambience at Noona's were great. We sat out in the patio which has an ingenious Plexiglas cover and our server was very thorough and attentive. We had the Gravy Bowl and the seafood in broth dish, Both were good, but frankly didn't compare to our unique dining at the other three. Maybe it was just that we ordered simple dishes.Special Features:
- Great flavor but noisyLightSauceVIPDined on 10/7/2014The food is great especially if you're into meatballs. They are a must have. Very loud location inside and outside. High on my list for restaurants in the Philadelphia area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy spot, salty foodToniottDined on 10/7/2014Restaurant was very cozy and comfortable, kind of loud but in a fun way. All the food I had was good, but my enjoyment was really hindered by over-salting of almost everything. The mozzarella di bufala starter was my favorite, although the grilled bread was burnt on one side. The rigatoni con zucco was nice, but again, very salty and the sauce could have been a little lighter. It came with sausage, which I had not remembered seeing on the menu, which was ok but made the dish extra heavy. Meatballs were big but the sage overpowered the meat, which was dry. Dessert (pistachio cannoli) was not salty, but everything about it had that burnt taste to it. I might give it one more try but that's it.
- Great experience!rayfaye1982Dined on 10/7/2014I went to Little Nona's on a date and it was great! We had a blast. The ambiance was fun and the food was incredible. We decided to just pick 5 appetizers and eat them for our meals. They were incredible. It was a little bit loud but I guess that is common for a very popular restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentBillDined on 10/7/2014The Sunday Gravy was just like Grandma's. I will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Gravy at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/6/2014Second visit and still among our favorite places in the city. The bean brochette took us back to Florence (where they call it fetunta), and the red gravy on the gigantic meatballs was wonderful. I am really appreciating the trend in many restaurants (as they do here) to provide a complementary bottle of cold water on the table so you don't have to wait for the server to come around to refill. Little Nonna's is definitely a keeper.Special Features:
- DelishDirkDined on 10/4/2014A nice evening catching up with old friends- and celebrating a birthday. The spaghetti and meatballs were so large, I had enough for two meals. And I'm a big eater!Special Features:
- OutstandingCenterCityRussDined on 10/4/2014Great place. I've been there twice and both times the food was incredible. The meatballs are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy ItalianHungry4moreDined on 10/4/2014Cozy spot with a lovely outdoor dining area. Classic Italian done well. Order the Sunday Gravy - you will not be disappointed. Can get a tad noisy indoors.Special Features:
- Never disappointslkp214VIPDined on 10/3/2014Brought my family here when they came to visit and this was my 2nd time. Authentic Italian at it's best. Must try the meatballs and come hungry.Special Features:
- Little Nonna'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014I am allergic to garlic. A bit dicey for an Italian restaurant but Little Nonna's is my sons favorite spot. So we went. The chef was unbelievably accommodating to my needs. I was very impressed and appreciative. This is a gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- great spotCandyGirlVIPDined on 10/1/2014There were a few negative reviews here, but I had to try it anyway and I'm glad I did. The shaved brussell sprout salad was surprisingly good. For those who complained about the lack of bread, I'm not sure what they were talking about. The restaurant has a garlic bread with roasted garlic on to use as a spread. I opted for the Sunday Gravy which was more than enough for two people. Great choice. They do have a garden, but we opted to sit inside. The place is small and the tables are close, but the food is worth the trip.Special Features:
- Check out the Garden!cuddlykoalaDined on 9/30/2014This place was hard to find but were we glad we went! We had to ask directions on how to get there and we happened to run into someone who had just finished their meal there and they recommended the secret back garden to us. I'm so glad that they did because then we had to check it out! And, guys, it didn't disappoint. The ambience was great, the garden was very romantic and the service was wonderful. The only issue I had, being a vegetarian I felt the menu was a little short. But mine is a special case, since I don't eat seafood in addition to staying away from meat. But my boyfriend who got the Seafood grille was very impressed and satisfied by the dish. I got the gnocchi which was mind blowing. Bottom line, Little Nonna's is a mustSpecial Features:
- Absolutely terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/29/2014Could not wait to try this restaurant and was terribly disappointed! Have never written a review on my many open table reservations but this was a place to never try again. Was so excited to try but seriously dissapointed with food and service. Didn't even get a piece of bread with dinner. Atmosphere was really inviting but food could have been. Much better prepared at home
- YUM!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014I had a hard time choosing my meal because everything on the menu looked fantastic! I must return!Special Features:
- Great food! Poor service.PattiVIPDined on 9/29/2014We had a fabulous meal; loved the Sunday gravy! However, our server was nasty and not at all attentive. She almost ruined the meal.Special Features:
- LOVED our meal(s)KnitmammaVIPDined on 9/27/2014I took my 98 yr. old mother-in-law to Little Nonna's for dinner - and my usually negative little Nonna LOVED her meal. We shared the antipasto, which was the best one (and freshest) I've had in years, and also shared the spaghetti and meatballs (1/4 of it went home with the 98 yr. old). My husband hogged his Sunday night extravaganza (He loved the short ribs...and the rest of the dinner as well). Our waitress was terrific and friendly - and easily gave in to my mother-in-law's demand for extra fig jam (for the antipasto). It was a great place for a little old lady to eat with us - which is a rare find in Center City, since she deems most places too loud or fancy schmancy for her tastes. This was a homerun!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Not a very extensive menu. tables are a little too close together. I ordered extra gravy and it took 15 minutes to get it to the table. The rest of the dinner was cold by then.
- Awesome ItalianMuncherMurphDined on 9/27/2014It didn't look like much from outside but you can't judge this book by it's cover. We had an awesome dining experience. There were 3 in our party and we each ordered something different and shared. Everything was delicious! Our server was knowledgeable and helped with our wine selection. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- rtbirdDined on 9/26/2014We sat in the outside dinning area. It was beautiful and romantic, but the walk back there was a little treacherous and creepy. Once we sat down we realized just how stuffy it was back there. I guess it was because it was almost fully enclosed, so you didn't get any kind of breeze or air flow. Really enjoyed the salad and meatballs, but were less thrilled with the pasta dish. The server was friendly and attentive, but just seemed a little awkward. In the end, there really wasn't anything about this place that would make me insist on going back.Special Features:
- Great Little PlaceAndrewguyDined on 9/25/2014Finally came here with a friend a week ago and I've been back again and I'll be going back soon. Fresh, cozy, hip, with a wonderful, friendly mood. And the food!! It hits the spot. Everything was delicious and hardy without being heavy. Also, the prices are very reasonable. This is my new go-to spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectLettsEatVIPDined on 9/23/2014My wife and I arrived (maybe a little too...) early for our reservation and luckily were able to be seated quickly. We were tucked away in the back of the patio, which was perfect because it was her birthday and we were looking forward to a nice romantic evening. Zivile took excellent care of us and the food was delicious. Highly recommended and we'll be back soon.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/23/2014Little Nonna's is officially on my list of places to go again. The food was delicious, atmosphere was great, as was the service. Reasonably priced, delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- melts in your mouthphilly5Dined on 9/22/2014Came to little Nona's with the idea it was restaurant week..looking forward to a less costly fabulous meal...well restaurant week ended the day before. So we only ordered appetizers...and were they fabulous!!! Meatballs that melted in your mouth, ceasar salad that was incredible..when I bit into the crouton I had to savor every bite. Delicious.....can't wait to go back and devour an entree!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third's the charmAldoDined on 9/21/2014Possibly the best spaghetti and meatballs I ever ate. Sauce was thick and meaty. Meatballs with melted cheese inside. Delicious. Spaghetti just right. And the garlic bread. Roasted bulb. Remove a clove and spreads like butter. It was our third try to get in before 9:30 Worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousMikeDined on 9/21/2014Great meal. Good service. Cute spot. We will return.Special Features:
- Nice Spot just the seating is offA504Dined on 9/19/2014I love this place. The spot is nice and great for a date. However its hard to have an intimate conversation with your date because the seating is so close together. great spot just don't go on the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small platesFoodCritic007VIPDined on 9/19/2014Took advantage of the Restaurant Week menu which was still being offered, for our party of 4. We wish the whole table didn't' have to agree to this, but we went with it any way. We all ended up going w/the Rigatoni since we really wanted to try the pasta and Sunday gravy that we've heard so much about. I'm still not sure why the pasta entrees are so small (maybe 10 rigatoni in my bowl?), but because they are, I ate every last scrap of the broccoli rabe and braised short rib that was in my bowl...if only I had a piece of bread to wipe my bowl clean and sop up the gravy. The gravy here is meaty and robust, not too thin and saucy. I wish I could buy some for home. I'd definitely dine here again.Special Features: