5160 Sunset Lake Rd
Apex, NC 27539Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.littlehennc.com/
- Phone: 9193630000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Regan Stachler
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Little Hen
Little Hen is a farm-to-table restaurant located in Holly Springs. We serve Modern American cuisine in an upscale but casual setting. All of the items on our menu are primarily sourced from local farmers. We also carry a versatile range of NC beers, and offer uniquely distinct wines and signature cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Little Hen - Best Restaurants in Holly Springs ›
Little Hen reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)neighborhood gem (52)special occasion (39)romantic (22)notable wine list (14)good for groups (13)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Great food- Home style & healthy!KeithBDined on 8/30/2014My wife and I are new to the area, and we stumbled across this wonderful resteraunt. THe staff was friendly, the menu changes daily and the food is healthy, from all local farms and the area, and it was delicious! A casual dining atmosphere, great food , we will defintely be back to see what's new on the menu and if you like homemade pasta its a must!Special Features:
- Best meal in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/30/2014We have been to LH a few time this year; our experience Saturday evening was the best yet. Two of us had the fresh pasta dish with shrimp that was absolutely stellar; I had the grilled tuna steak which was done perfectly. Salads also were top notch, as was the brownie dessert. Although this place is not getting as much hype as others, we have come to the conclusion that LH is one of the premier dining experiences in the RTP area. Lots of people are doing the farm to table thing these days, but no one s doing it this well.Special Features:
- Slow ServicenotafoodieDined on 8/23/2014Food was good though service was slow. We had 3 in our party for a girls night out and the server brought 2 of our cocktails out first then we had to wait probably 10 min. for the 3rd drink to be brought to our table. Ordered the sirloin which would have been excellent but it had way too much pepper on it. All I could taste was the pepper when I took a bite. My friend had the tuna which she said was way too salty. Another friend had the one of the pastas which she said was excellent. Had to ask for several things such as water refills, a steak knife to cut my steak, etc. Great ambiance for a date night and there is nothing like this in Holly Springs just hope the service improves. Less salt & pepper and the food would have been great!Special Features:
- Mixed review2foodiesVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was our first visit and probably our last. The food quality and preparation varied. We loved the beet and pork crostino appetizers and my Tuna entree was fresh and expertly prepared but my wife's Pork Chop was huge and chewy because it was cut so thick. Our guests didn't like the pale ale selection or their Pasta & Chorizo entree as it was too spicy. When you pay $11 for a glass of average Chardonnay you expect at least a 6 oz serving. I doubt if we got more than a 4 oz serving. The worst offense was the waitress took our dirty appetizer silverware and laid them back on the table instead of replacing them with clean silverware. Overall, the quality isn't worth the high prices.
- Farm to table goodnesssmq0820Dined on 8/20/2014Really enjoyed our visit to Little Hen. My husband and I went on a Wednesday night. Pappardelle pasta was great and I had the "strawberry fields" cocktail that was refreshing and tasty (muddled strawberries, mint, vodka and champagne). Nice to have a restaurant of this calibur close to home. We will definately be back. My husband is not an adventerous eater so the menu was a bit complicated for his taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014This was our third time at this restaurant. Each time we brought a new couple to join us. The food is always excellent and the wine list is very affordable. We will be back!!Special Features:
- Little Hen was NOT open as expectedCarlDined on 8/16/2014I booked a reservation through OpenTable for the Little Hen on Saturday, 16Aug2014. I wanted a late lunch, and the Little Hen's website indicated that they are open from 11A-2P for lunch. So I searched Open Table for the 2P time slot, and found that the latest lunch availability was 1:30PM. Close enough!! So I booked the 1:30 time slot for 4 people. About an hr before my reservation, I and my 3 guests piled in the car and drove from Hillsborough to Holly Springs. When we arrived at the Little Hen, the hours on the door indicated that they are NOT open for lunch. Grrrrrr. How could this be? Their website indicated that they are indeed open for lunch on Saturday, and Open Table even confirmed my reservation. Grade F for FAIL!Special Features:
- We'll return to Little Hen!love2cookDined on 8/2/2014Food and service was fantastic. Very fresh and creative preparations. I had the chard beet appetizer - if you love beets, it's a must have. My companion had a cheese and salami sampler which was equally excellent. We shared the pork chop big board with a shrimp skewer. More than enough for two and perfectly seasoned. Save room for dessert! Delicious lemon brulee cheesecake and amazing chocolate cake with amaretto crust!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time; Last MealSarahVIPDined on 7/28/2014I'd been following Little Hen on Twitter for several months. It was our last celebratory dinner before we welcome our first child into the world this week. We had the peach, chèvre toast app and pork & shrimp board for two entree ($55). The toast combo is tasty but I could taste gas/burnt flavor from the stove which overpowered everything else. He liked the burnt taste... The board had great flavors but was overpriced considering the humble ingredients - grits, corn, grilled peppers, 1 skewer of (30/40) shrimp, and 1 large pork chop; the sauces on the board were great but we left a little hungry still. Skip the carrot cake dessert and go for the chocolate cake. Great staff, great atmosphere, and the Cava wine - delish, We'll be back.Special Features:
- 4 main courses and 2 pasta dishesBeenthereDined on 7/26/2014Call ahead to check menu for the day - before you show up to something you're not in the mood to eat. Items are expensive so you may want to ask about prices over the phone as well. One item was already sold out by 8pm. There are not kid friendly items but the food was good overall. The place is small so it's also helpful to make reservations. The staff was very friendly and helpful...great service.Special Features:
- Love Little HenOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/21/2014Always great food and great service! It is our "go to" restaurant when we want a nice dinner out alone or with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4SmartFoodDined on 7/12/2014While the food was good and obviously fresh, it was not particularly outstanding or memorable. Service and friendliness of staff was excellent!Special Features:
- disappointingNCLonghornDined on 7/11/2014Appetizer menu didn't have much that was good for sharing, was mostly salads. We ordered the beet crostino and the beets were still a little raw, which didn't go well with the goat cheese. As an entree I ordered the fish, which while very tasty still had quite a few bones in it. It was also a very small portion for $28.00, especially as it only came with a side of cucumber salad and we were not served any bread. Overall great ideas and quality ingredients but poorly executed.Special Features:
- Excellent placeterminalCaseDined on 7/7/2014Small, cozy feeling. The decor is very interesting, makes me think of the Outer Banks for some reason. Very good food, very good wine selection. Fair beer selection, but you're certain to find something good. I had the Duck-Rabbit Double Bock and was not disappointed. The steak I had was excellent, and prepared to order; the garnish and glaze were superb, and filled with intense, unique, memorable flavor. I recommend for dessert the black pepper cheesecake. An odd concept, but very well-executed. Delicious, with a mild heat that gradually builds. Friendly, quick service. No complaint whatsoever. Good for special occasions. Would recommend to friends and family!Special Features:
- One of best restaurants in RTP areaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/5/2014We have now been to Little Hen four times over the last few months. Every dish has been excellent and many have been outstanding. On Saturday I had the charred shrimp + tomato salad and the grilled wahoo special. My wife always goes for the charred beet salad; her entree was a shrimp pappardelle fra diavolo with homemade noodles that melt in your mouth. Closed with a delightful peach crisp. Hannah has been our server last two times and she was very helpful. The food here is just as good as, if not better than, the top restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/2/2014This is a very creative restaurant with food prep. Menu is limited but everything is delicious. We have been three times and will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodMechEFoodEDined on 7/1/2014This was my wife and my first time at Little Hen, and we were very pleased. The menu apparently changes as much as weekly, to accommodate available ingredients (total farm to market restaurant). Had a artisan board (cheese and meat) to start off, then I had a shrimp and homemade pappardelle pasta in a spicy tomato sauce, which was excellent. My wife had homemade gnocchi which was also great, it also had pork in it in a great sauce. Also had some local beer, not a huge selection in that area, but they rotate the beers as well. Had a great double bock. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvLocalDined on 6/30/2014Great food, wonderful and classy restaurant for Holly Springs. Only issue is that we were seated first in the restaurant as we had early reservations. As others came in, the hostess seated another couple right next to our table when there were plenty of other tables, including one on the other side of the table they were seated at. Need to space out diners better.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food5stardinerDined on 6/27/2014We found Little Hen on a top lists of new restaurants and after eating there once, we know why. The food is absolutely fabulous. Little Hen is a neighborhood gem. The decor is modern rustic and very comfortable. You will want to relax with a glass of wine while enjoying an appetizer orctheircfamous cheese tray. There hasn't been a meal yet that we do not rave about and we have eaten here over a dozen times. If you have a sweet tooth, the desserts are worth every extra calorie. And I must give a shout out to Ed , Amber and Sam who are the perfect waiters/ waitresses. They add to your special evening out. You must try this restaurant perhaps it will become your favorite ad it has become ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not worth the moneylucyluDined on 6/27/2014Ordered pork chop which was very salty and grilled tuna which was bland. Dessert was carrot cake and the chef mistakenly used salt instead of ssaga for the whip cream. For what they chargeI was very disappointed. Will not return.
- Great birthday dinner!FordfixerDined on 6/26/2014We had a birthday dinner for my wife at Little Hen. There were 5 of us, they seated us promptly and quickly got drinks for us. The food as always at Little Hen was amazing. We like it because the menu changes frequently which keeps it interesting. The food is always fresh and cooked to perfection. For the birthday dinner the pastry chef made a carrot cake just for our occasion. Easily one of the best cakes we have ever had! Thanks to Little Hen for making this birthday one to remember.Special Features:
- SeatingM2014Dined on 6/25/2014Great food. Only disappointment was placed next to table with kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coconut CakeMegDDined on 6/21/2014Little Hen always has amazing food but be sure to save room for dessert! Sam, the pastry chef is very talented. The coconut cake with creme anglaise and caramel was out of this world! It was one of the best desserts I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food: 8, Service 3:mememeVIPDined on 6/20/2014My wife and I decided to try the Little Hen for her birthday. The food was good, from appetizer to main course. However, our server did not even come to our table for almost 15 minutes after we were first seated. She never told us about any specials. Our water glasses were empty for a while during the meal. And it took a long time for her to process the bill. We were disappointed and will not return.
- Always greatMegDDined on 6/11/2014Everything at Little Hen is always great! The service is good, the food is great and the desserts are outstanding. We always end up loving everything we order!Special Features:
- awesome as always!KTurtleDined on 6/10/2014I've never had a bad meal/ experience at the Little Hen. The food and service once again did not disappoint. The menu changes depending on seasonal availability, but I would always highly recommend the "board for 2" entree. Enough food for 2-3 people to share, good variety, always delicious.Special Features:
- Average at besthesaidshesaidVIPDined on 6/9/2014Mediocre service, horrible desserts, best beet salad in town, and over priced.Special Features:
- Great fresh food & serviceKarkelDined on 6/7/2014Regan & staff at Little Hen always make our meal memorable, I love the farm to table concept that gives us special flavors of each season wrapped with a creative flair!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Farm To TableBurtVIPDined on 6/5/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant and it was during Triangle Restaurant Week. This allowed us to partake of a special three-course menu which was excellent for the $30 cost. Service was excellent for our visit. We had specialty cocktails which were very good. Overall great dining in a very casual setting. This is certainly not a dress-up place for a romantic evening. However, the overall dining experience of a farm to restaurant dining is superb and I would highly recommend for such an occasion.Special Features:
- Terrific Meal!!Foody1VIPDined on 6/5/2014We had a very good experience at Little Hen during Triangle Restaurant Week. The food selections were fantastic. My husband had the pasta and I had the shrimp kabobs and they were all very tasty and fresh. We shared entrees and desserts. Little Hen is a great place and neighborhood find. the service was just ok though. We were ignored for a significant time until I finally got up and asked at the bar if we could please be served. The service got better then and we had an overall Great time. We will be back! Wish every week was Triangle Restaurant week!!!Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014We went during restaurant week and were amazed by all of the wonderful options. The food was delicious and we can't wait to go back for more delicious local flavors. Best goat cheese I have ever had and worth the drive down to Holly Springs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmandaDined on 6/4/2014Fantastic food and great service. We went for triangle restaurant week because it is on the expensive side but the food was well worth it. We'll definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for foodiesDonnaMDined on 6/4/2014My husband and I dined at Little Hen for our anniversary. Unfortunately, we did not realize that it was Triangle Restaurant week. Little Hen was quite busy! Service was slightly slow but understandable due to the crowded restaurant. The food was amazing - fresh and uniquely prepared. Our server, Ed, was very friendly and stayed on top of things. I can't wait to go back when it's not restaurant week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Local FindKendraVIPDined on 6/4/2014Had the most wonderful experience at Little Hen during restaurant week, great wine list, great local food used that was fresh. You can tell everything that was prepared was prepared with care and attention. The beet salad with a fried ball of goat cheese was creative and was a perfect match pairing that made your mouth water for more, more and more ! I have to recommend the Pork Chop for two, it was moist, juicy and seasoned perfectly and the polenta grits outstanding! Planning another visit soon can wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met all expectationsmyPeakDined on 6/4/2014My husband and I have been wanting to go to Little Hen for quite some time - we follow them on facebook and they always have some tasty looking dishes! We loved the decor, service, etc.. It was a smaller restaurant but they made good use of the space. Our only complaint was that the table set up was not our favorite. We love privacy and unless you had a large table (6 people), you would be sitting at a "shared booth" setup. (the tables where one side shares a communal booth and the other side of the table are 1-2 chairs... you are in very close proximity to your neighbor!) Outside of that, the food was outstanding, the portion sizes were very decent and we really enjoyed their drink specials!Special Features:
- Outstanding!kgjgVIPDined on 5/24/2014Farm fresh food, delightful service, quaint atmosphere all at it's finest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Foodcalviking123Dined on 5/24/2014Sexy food at its best... The pork chop was amazing. I wish I had two stomachs that evening. Great food and. Awesome serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 252 reviews are from the Little Hen reviews archive.
- DinnerSparkielyleDined on 5/17/2014Another great dinner at Little Hen. They never fail to please. Their Way Out gin, pear and cucumber juice cocktail is delicious.Special Features:
- I'll be back!CoomomeVIPDined on 5/10/2014This was probably the fourth time we have traveled to Little Hen from Hillsborough and it has been well worth the drive each time! Little Hen is quickly becoming my favorite restaurant because of the outstanding food, great service, and laid back atmosphere. Even though they were crowded on Mother's Day weekend, service was still attentive and the menu options were new and exciting. We enjoyed their Mexican Big Board for two but were tempted by many other menu choices. I highly recommend Little Hen.Special Features:
- menu uniqueluvCKDined on 5/9/2014We enjoyed a tasty crudite' appetizer w rib meat and cheese then our separate entrees were the chicken n dumplings and the grilled swordfish w ragout. Dessert was the creme brûlée cheese cake and the decaf coffee was served in a french press.Special Features: