746 S. 6th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://littlefishbyob.com/
- Phone: 2674550172
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm-Close Sunday: 5:30pm and 8:00pm Seatings
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chadd Jenkins
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor
A word from Little Fish
Little Fish was founded in the mid-'90s to the delight of Queen Village foodies and pretty much all Philadelphians who give a hoot about great seafood. Chef Chadd Jenkins purchased the long-established BYOB in September 2011 which he had been overseeing as the Chef de Cuisine since 2008. Convention says that when you purchase a successful business you maintain it. Little Fish continues to offer flavors and daring combinations to the recognition of Bon Appétit magazine — 3rd Best New Seafood Restaurant in the USA — and the delight of The New York Times. Little Fish recently swam up stream and reopened in a new location, a stone's throw from its original location where Little Fish continues to earn accolades from national and local press. Most importantly, Little Fish continues to feed old friends and serve new fans every day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Little Fish - Best Restaurants in Queen Village ›
Little Fish reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)neighborhood gem (88)special occasion (58)romantic (56)hot spot (10)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- carolDined on 9/13/2014inventive cooking at the highest level for anybody who loves fishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsVicSage66Dined on 9/12/2014Just took my fiance there for her birthday - we live in the Italian Market, where there are tons of choices for a great dinner. Little Fish is still head and shoulders above the rest. Food was incredible as usual, the waitstaff was knowledgeable, friendly, and engaging, and the attention to detail is top notch! Can't recommend this place enoughSpecial Features:
- Amazing food!ckjdinerDined on 9/11/2014The food is very high quality, fresh and delicious! The service is also wonderful. The only thing lacking is the ambience. It's a cute small place but could use some decor on the walls as they are completely bare. Otherwise, we loved our experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic. Best seafood in PhillyKeitherVIPDined on 9/4/2014The food here is incredible. The chef if very inventive and creative and gives extremely large portions, which is rare for restaurants in general, where so many have gone the small tapas style direction. If you're into fish and seafood, there isn't a better place in the city. The prices are a tad on the high side, but considering the portions, and the fact that its BYO, it somewhat balances itself out.Special Features:
- Best Seafood Tasting MenuDJK1VIPDined on 8/31/2014There's always something new and inventive to try. Given the entire restaurant is having the same tasting experience during the 2 Sunday night seatings, there is a bit of a regimented quality to the experience. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's worth having the proper expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingMjsmdVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful meal at Little Fish. While the restaurant is small, we did not feel cramped. The food and service were excellent. My sea bass was delicious, and my husband loved the tuna. The menu is small, but even so, it was hard to choose which of the interesting preparations to try. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and delicious fishspintrimVIPDined on 8/28/2014Little Fish always presents the freshest fish in most interesting and delicious presentations. We are so lucky to have it in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- anniegDined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere is simple yet the perfect compliment for this was innovative and delicious culinary experience. I like the fact that the menu is limited to 4 entrees, it makes decision making easy. We were 4 people and we each selected a different entree and there was not a morsel of food left on anyone's plate. I ordered the trout, I have never been served pink colored trout before that looks like salmon, it was positively delicious!! We shared the grilled octopus and lobster appetizers and they excellent, though my favorite was the grilled octopus with plums.. The desert was a mixture of pound cake and fresh fruit, simple yet memorable...The meal was so satisfying and special I look forward to dining at Little Fish again.Special Features:
- Continued ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/27/2014We dine here two or three times a year and are always impressed that the menu evolves and the execution is first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Little" means "skimpy"Lizzie1897VIPDined on 8/20/2014These days, foodie restaurants focus on the quality rather than the quantity of food. The food at Little Fish is extraordinarily tasty, but the portions are less than skimpy. On a recent visit, I ordered a tuna appetizer for $17 and received approximately 1 oz of perfectly prepared fish. I ordered the tuna main dish for $37 and received 2-3 oz at most, surrounded by a few tasty mushrooms and greens. The food was absolutely delicious, but 3-4 oz. of fish is simply not enough protein for dinner. Get with it Little Fish, and give people 6-8 oz of fish. (PS I eat fish every day, so I am aware of market prices and portions. I am not exaggerating the skimpy portions. I left this restaurant feeling hungry.)
- Best Fish in Town and BYOB too!MarcpcDined on 8/9/2014We used Open Table to find a last minute table at Little Fish and were we lucky. 1st Courses were superb...and it just got better from there. Staff was excellent even tough it was a busy Saturday night.Special Features:
- Best fish restaurant in townAlguuzDined on 8/8/2014If you love fish, this is the perfect place to enjoy delicious combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of te best BYOs in the cityJsr8878VIPDined on 8/7/2014Outstanding food. Never disappoints. Arguably the best seafood you can get in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York in PhiladelphiaaugustearthDined on 8/1/2014I won't say I did not like Little Fish. I did. However, it's not a Philly restaurant. I have never gone to a restaurant in Philadelphia and felt more like I was in a want-to-be New York restaurant. The food was delicious. Truly worthy of it's reputation. The location is fantastic, especially if you live in South Philadelphia as I do. The ambiance... pure modern day Brooklyn. It was Philly style tiny, but that's where it ended. The servers were very much in the NYC vein -- professional, but distant. The music -- cool, but generic. The decor -- hipster NYC. And the prices... pricey. Worth the money? Probably. But I must admit, I might have felt better giving my hard earned cash to a place that felt a little more like home.Special Features:
- MikeDDined on 7/29/2014The food was excellent and the service was just as good. We had oysters and octopus for 1st & 2nd course and tuna and tile fish for entrees. It was my fiance's birthday and it couldn't have been better. Absolutely perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outDisplacedWesternerVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food was great. Service was efficient. The appetizers were unbelievable. Some of the best we have ever had. Only complaint really was that the entrees didn't live up to the expectations that the appetizers set. They were still very good but they were a little bit of a let down after the apps. Next time I go back I'll just order apps. I recommend going. Dining area is non-descript but it works.Special Features:
- Little Fish is FabulousDinerinArdmoreDined on 7/26/2014The food at Little Fish is outstanding. One of the best meals we have had in Philadelphia. We brought some NYC friends to Little Fish and they loved the food.Special Features:
- FabulousJuleDined on 7/25/2014There was a fantastic assortment of appetizers and entrees. I highly recommend the Tile--was so flavorful and delicious. Our server was very helpful and courteous. Love the decor and overall feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly amazingTomBDined on 7/22/2014Incredible ingredients. Exceptionally composed dishes. Second visit was as amazing as the first.Special Features:
- Tiny fishLaFleurVIPDined on 7/20/2014Fun place. Very small and hot dining room. We have been going for the five course Sunday tasting menu for years. It has never disappointed. Creative seafood dishes. Always satisfying. BYO. Parking sucks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Masterpieceddavid0203VIPDined on 7/16/2014It was my first time in little fish I was reading about it a lot but always puting for the next time until last night and I was happy that I finally got in !!! OMG it is the best seafood in Philly by far !!! Anything I ate it was a masterpiece !!! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best BYOiiiiVIPDined on 7/15/2014Took my dad here for his BDAY... Reading the reviews i expected a fantastic meal, so expectations were high. They exceeded them. THe food here is fantastic, it even looks as good as it tastes. It is a BYO so don't forget to that. 3 of us went out, had 2 apps and 3 entrees.. we were stuffed when we left. portions were a good size. I highly recommend this place if you are a seafood person. Just know the place is tiny, about 8-10 tables.Special Features:
- My favorite.KMagnussVIPDined on 7/13/2014The Sunday tasting menu is a culmination of creativity, a real knack for amazing flavor combinations, and a chef that puts heart into their work. It's simply the best.Special Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2014This was our first time at Little Fish. The food was excellent, although I wish I had asked for just a little salt for my Tasmanian sea trout. We would definitely go back -- next time I'd probably go with 2 first courses, the lobster and the hamachi. The staff was great -- very patient & knowledgeable & on top of serving our wine.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, slow servicenewtodcDined on 7/5/2014We had an outstanding meal here - every dish was complex, fresh, and well though-out - but the service was very slow. The chef did send us a complementary appetizer as an apology (which was excellent), but waiting thirty minutes for oysters seemed a bit excessive. We will definitely go back, though, as it had a wonderful intimate feel and a creative, exquisite menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014The service was unsatisfactory. We had to wait far too much time after our appetizer was finished for our entree. In addition, there was a mistake on our bill as we were charged for 2 different appetizers when we only ordered one. Given the number of tables the waitress had to service it was surprising to have this error.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2014Little Fish is a wonderful neighborhood find serving incredible food. It was my first oyster experience in Philadelphia, and it was incredible. Little Fish is a top seafood establishment in line with other fresh seafood restaurants in coastal cities. The plates were beautiful to look at, well-balanced in flavor, and all components of the dish were cooked to perfection. I will be returning soon.Special Features:
- Excellent Tasting Menu and ValueDJK1VIPDined on 6/29/2014Best seafood tasting menu in town. A very reasonable price to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an easy eveningwysiwygDined on 6/24/2014My sister and I were visiting Philly and noted the comments on Little Fish; we booked on opentable. First, this is a BYOB spot which we missed on the Opentable writeup. To their credit, they tried to contact us to make sure we were aware but we didn't connect so we enjoyed the meal with water. The server noted a wine shop w/in walking distance. They have a short menu, but all very interesting. We had oysters and lobster for starters and then Tuna and Salmon for mains. All excellently prepared. We really liked the ambience, 2 cooks working away, 1 server, a max of 30 patrons. Everybody was relaxed, enjoyed their meal as we watched the neighborhood go about its business. A lovely evening.Special Features:
- Excellente little spotLike2eatDined on 6/22/2014We went for Sunday tasting menu. Everything was outstanding. Thanks! We enjoyed our meal a lotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place!LaurenDined on 6/22/2014Best chef's tasting menu byob in Philadelphia! The food is always excellent and never repetitive.Special Features:
- Little Fish, Big TasteBeardedDinerDined on 6/21/2014Having gone to Little Fish twice now for special occasion dinners, I can say it is outstanding! The first time we had two oysters, a First (Starter) and two Seconds (Main dishes) and a dessert. While the second time, we were more swayed by the Firsts than the Seconds, and got two oysters (With Lime, Cucumber, and White Soy), then we ordered the Scallop First, Octopus first and Lobster first, followed by the Ivory King Salmon Second...Thankfully they split up the dishes providing the Scallop and Octopus firsts as our appetizers and then the Salmon, followed by the Lobster. We finished off our meal with the Chocolate Chiffon cake, which was an amazing capstone on a delicious meal.Special Features:
- Great fish, original flavorsdavid7VIPDined on 6/21/2014Tiny fish restaurant, only a few choices, but everything is lovely and made to order. Fish is extra fine quality, delicious oysters, imaginative flavor combinations. Bring your own favorite wine for seafood.Special Features:
- Little FishBurgermanVIPDined on 6/19/2014Although the restaurant is very small and the seating tight it is well worth the visit. The food was outstanding and prepared perfectly. Service was more than adequate. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny & Food-CentricOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/18/2014The quality of the actual food was evident in both the dishes and the prices of the plates. The food was marvelous, though, and that's what really matters.Special Features:
- sunday tastingvampsoulDined on 6/15/2014The Sunday tasting menu was fantastic and interesting. I will recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Philly's best mealsCGilbertDined on 6/13/2014This past Friday evening was our fourth visit to Little Fish. Have only had good experiences. Certainly ranks as one of our favorite restaurants. The seafood is always impeccably fresh, the preparation exhibits solid technique and the plating is always attractive. Consistently very good. Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- You must like fish.Chef1VIPDined on 6/11/2014If you like fish - especially grilled or baked, and prepared with excellent and imaginative accompaniments then this is the restaurant you must visit. Limited menu but fresh fish almost always. BYOB. Been there many times and never disappointed. It's small size makes reservation s advisableSpecial Features:
- GreatdrjreDined on 6/11/2014Well cooked, seasoned and prepared food. Informed staff. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/10/2014Absolutly delicious. I am not a fish lover and enjoyed every bite. I'll go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.