746 S. 6th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://littlefishbyob.com/
- Phone: 2674550172
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm-Close Sunday: 5:30pm and 8:00pm Seatings
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chadd Jenkins
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor
A word from Little Fish
Little Fish was founded in the mid-'90s to the delight of Queen Village foodies and pretty much all Philadelphians who give a hoot about great seafood. Chef Chadd Jenkins purchased the long-established BYOB in September 2011 which he had been overseeing as the Chef de Cuisine since 2008. Convention says that when you purchase a successful business you maintain it. Little Fish continues to offer flavors and daring combinations to the recognition of Bon Appétit magazine — 3rd Best New Seafood Restaurant in the USA — and the delight of The New York Times. Little Fish recently swam up stream and reopened in a new location, a stone's throw from its original location where Little Fish continues to earn accolades from national and local press. Most importantly, Little Fish continues to feed old friends and serve new fans every day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Little Fish - Best Restaurants in Queen Village ›
Little Fish reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (81)special occasion (51)romantic (46)great for outdoor dining (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (3)good for groups (3)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great ExperiencegoldieDined on 10/18/2014This is a first time with a BYO restaurant and not knowing before what I would be eating I brought wine with the idea of fish for dinner (Little Fish being the name of the restaurant I felt white would be a safe bet) It was a great dinning experience. The restaurant is very small and I thought it would be very romantic for some. I was with my mom so the mood was lost on me. Next time I will go with my hubby:) The waiter was very knowledgeable and unobtrusive. The food was so fresh and the flavors were amazing. Wonderful but not cheap! Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/17/2014everything we ordered was excellent. a little pricey, but nice that you can byob to offset that. limited choices (which we are fine with because we will eat almost anything) but could be a problem if you are a picky eater. love the personal touch of handwritten menu and bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sophisticated & on pointOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Had the $40 mushroom showcase dinner - blown away and wishing all of my meals were this incredible. Tireless workmanship and finesse from the chefs and serving staff made this experience very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better late than neverBlackbirdDined on 10/13/2014Finally made it to Little Fish and I'm sorry it took so long. The food was fantastic!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/11/2014One of the best meals I have had in a while. I was very impressed.Special Features:
- Sunday TastingFoodloverDined on 10/5/2014Did a ladies night BYO meetup at Little Fish for their tasting. It was lovely because we didn't have to worry about what we wanted to eat! As long as no one is picky, everyone will love it. Started off with a veggie/mushroom dish, had skate wing, sea bass, and a citrus glazed fish I can't remember which kind. All delicious. The flavors were seasonal and each dish was delightful. It was perfect because we could have a conversation that was enhanced by the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemRobsterlobsterDined on 9/30/2014Hands down best food I've had in Philadelphia, hand written menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Sunday dinnerELReviewsDined on 9/28/2014The five-course Sunday supper at Little Fish was absolutely perfect. Each dish was beautiful and delicious and my fiance and I enjoyed every second of our dining experience. I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014This seafood menu has some inventive choices made by the talented chefs. However, the prices are very expensive, even for a BYO, and considering the small space/largely outdated stylings, we did not feel it was worth the expense.
- Great MealsalisonandfrankVIPDined on 9/27/2014We went back to Little Fish as soon as we found out it reopened. It did not disappoint!!! Two of us had the Spanish mackerel and the other two had the tuna. Both were phenomenal. We split the octopus appetizer and the rock shrimp app were tremendous as well. We had the desert, pound cake crumbled with ginger ice cream and fruit ALONG with French Press coffee. Didn't look at bill, assumed they did NOT charge by the cup. We'd go back tomorrow except for the high ticket price.Special Features:
- seafood lovers' havendinealotDined on 9/26/2014The restaurant is very small and intimate; you can see the cooks working on their orders to the right of the restaurant's one room. We tried the West Coast style oysters which were fresh and fragrant with lime and the octopus deliciously grilled and served warm. For entree we had the cod and the sea trout. The cod came on a bed of mussels, clams and small shrimp and was fresh, succulent, delicately spiced and accompanied by a light sauce that made me forget my manners and dip bread into it. My husband's sea trout looked very appetizing and was complemented by grilled eggplant and beets.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/26/2014We had such a memorable dinner at Little Fish about 5 years ago but were disappointed this time. The fish was excellent--fresh and perfectly cooked--but the dishes as a whole were not as fabulous. Oh well, note to self: don't try to recreate a perfect memory.Special Features:
- great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2014Both the rock shrimp with pasta and the grilled octopus were exceptional. (If you are looking for a green salad or vegetable to complement your meal, don't go to Little Fish) The service, however, was barely existent. It took 45 minutes to get the first course, almost an hour for the second. The waitress could not be bothered to refill water glasses, apologize for, or even apprise us of, the delay etc. And there were only a total of 5 tables, so that wasn't the excuse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionTettemerVIPDined on 9/23/2014We took our newly married daughter and son-in-law for dinner the other night. It was a perfect night and we sat outside in the first autumn evening (hence the nice noise level report) and ate ourselves silly. Rock shrimp with homemade linguine was "more-bread" good. Sopped up every drop of sauce. The east coast oysters were sublime. The salmon was omigosh like pudding. And the cod, ideal and flaky white, was surrounded by oysters, clams, mussels and more of that shrimp. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, it may have been the best restaurant meal of the year. (Take that Fork, Talula's, Garces, et al.) And it's a BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 6 Stars Requested HereBeaGLVIPDined on 9/20/2014What a find! Lovely, intimate, neighborhood-gem setting with small menu that invites you to try something new! We did and every dish exceeded our expectations. BYOB, a bonus! All four of us agreed, we'll go back.Special Features:
- Amount of foodNickDined on 9/19/2014Everything is good, nice service, relaxing atmosphere, tasty food. However the food is very light filling. And I found it is very hard to made reservation, even it is not so many people there. I just don't know why this (reservation) is so difficult.Special Features:
- Great PlaceBeisVIPDined on 9/17/2014I have enjoyed many meals at Little Fish. Just be aware that it is a very small restaurant with a very limited menu. While usually there is always something I like, there have been a few visits that I really was not engaged by the choices. Still, really interesting seafood and alway very fresh.Special Features:
- carolDined on 9/13/2014inventive cooking at the highest level for anybody who loves fishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsVicSage66Dined on 9/12/2014Just took my fiance there for her birthday - we live in the Italian Market, where there are tons of choices for a great dinner. Little Fish is still head and shoulders above the rest. Food was incredible as usual, the waitstaff was knowledgeable, friendly, and engaging, and the attention to detail is top notch! Can't recommend this place enoughSpecial Features:
- Amazing food!ckjdinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food is very high quality, fresh and delicious! The service is also wonderful. The only thing lacking is the ambience. It's a cute small place but could use some decor on the walls as they are completely bare. Otherwise, we loved our experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic. Best seafood in PhillyKeitherVIPDined on 9/4/2014The food here is incredible. The chef if very inventive and creative and gives extremely large portions, which is rare for restaurants in general, where so many have gone the small tapas style direction. If you're into fish and seafood, there isn't a better place in the city. The prices are a tad on the high side, but considering the portions, and the fact that its BYO, it somewhat balances itself out.Special Features:
- Best Seafood Tasting MenuDJK1VIPDined on 8/31/2014There's always something new and inventive to try. Given the entire restaurant is having the same tasting experience during the 2 Sunday night seatings, there is a bit of a regimented quality to the experience. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's worth having the proper expectation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingMjsmdVIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful meal at Little Fish. While the restaurant is small, we did not feel cramped. The food and service were excellent. My sea bass was delicious, and my husband loved the tuna. The menu is small, but even so, it was hard to choose which of the interesting preparations to try. We definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and delicious fishspintrimVIPDined on 8/28/2014Little Fish always presents the freshest fish in most interesting and delicious presentations. We are so lucky to have it in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- anniegDined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere is simple yet the perfect compliment for this was innovative and delicious culinary experience. I like the fact that the menu is limited to 4 entrees, it makes decision making easy. We were 4 people and we each selected a different entree and there was not a morsel of food left on anyone's plate. I ordered the trout, I have never been served pink colored trout before that looks like salmon, it was positively delicious!! We shared the grilled octopus and lobster appetizers and they excellent, though my favorite was the grilled octopus with plums.. The desert was a mixture of pound cake and fresh fruit, simple yet memorable...The meal was so satisfying and special I look forward to dining at Little Fish again.Special Features:
- Continued ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/27/2014We dine here two or three times a year and are always impressed that the menu evolves and the execution is first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Little" means "skimpy"Lizzie1897VIPDined on 8/20/2014These days, foodie restaurants focus on the quality rather than the quantity of food. The food at Little Fish is extraordinarily tasty, but the portions are less than skimpy. On a recent visit, I ordered a tuna appetizer for $17 and received approximately 1 oz of perfectly prepared fish. I ordered the tuna main dish for $37 and received 2-3 oz at most, surrounded by a few tasty mushrooms and greens. The food was absolutely delicious, but 3-4 oz. of fish is simply not enough protein for dinner. Get with it Little Fish, and give people 6-8 oz of fish. (PS I eat fish every day, so I am aware of market prices and portions. I am not exaggerating the skimpy portions. I left this restaurant feeling hungry.)
- Best Fish in Town and BYOB too!MarcpcVIPDined on 8/9/2014We used Open Table to find a last minute table at Little Fish and were we lucky. 1st Courses were superb...and it just got better from there. Staff was excellent even tough it was a busy Saturday night.Special Features:
- Best fish restaurant in townAlguuzDined on 8/8/2014If you love fish, this is the perfect place to enjoy delicious combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of te best BYOs in the cityJsr8878VIPDined on 8/7/2014Outstanding food. Never disappoints. Arguably the best seafood you can get in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York in PhiladelphiaaugustearthDined on 8/1/2014I won't say I did not like Little Fish. I did. However, it's not a Philly restaurant. I have never gone to a restaurant in Philadelphia and felt more like I was in a want-to-be New York restaurant. The food was delicious. Truly worthy of it's reputation. The location is fantastic, especially if you live in South Philadelphia as I do. The ambiance... pure modern day Brooklyn. It was Philly style tiny, but that's where it ended. The servers were very much in the NYC vein -- professional, but distant. The music -- cool, but generic. The decor -- hipster NYC. And the prices... pricey. Worth the money? Probably. But I must admit, I might have felt better giving my hard earned cash to a place that felt a little more like home.Special Features:
- MikeDDined on 7/29/2014The food was excellent and the service was just as good. We had oysters and octopus for 1st & 2nd course and tuna and tile fish for entrees. It was my fiance's birthday and it couldn't have been better. Absolutely perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outDisplacedWesternerVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food was great. Service was efficient. The appetizers were unbelievable. Some of the best we have ever had. Only complaint really was that the entrees didn't live up to the expectations that the appetizers set. They were still very good but they were a little bit of a let down after the apps. Next time I go back I'll just order apps. I recommend going. Dining area is non-descript but it works.Special Features:
- Little Fish is FabulousDinerinArdmoreDined on 7/26/2014The food at Little Fish is outstanding. One of the best meals we have had in Philadelphia. We brought some NYC friends to Little Fish and they loved the food.Special Features:
- FabulousJuleDined on 7/25/2014There was a fantastic assortment of appetizers and entrees. I highly recommend the Tile--was so flavorful and delicious. Our server was very helpful and courteous. Love the decor and overall feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly amazingTomBDined on 7/22/2014Incredible ingredients. Exceptionally composed dishes. Second visit was as amazing as the first.Special Features:
- Tiny fishLaFleurVIPDined on 7/20/2014Fun place. Very small and hot dining room. We have been going for the five course Sunday tasting menu for years. It has never disappointed. Creative seafood dishes. Always satisfying. BYO. Parking sucks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Masterpieceddavid0203VIPDined on 7/16/2014It was my first time in little fish I was reading about it a lot but always puting for the next time until last night and I was happy that I finally got in !!! OMG it is the best seafood in Philly by far !!! Anything I ate it was a masterpiece !!! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best BYOiiiiVIPDined on 7/15/2014Took my dad here for his BDAY... Reading the reviews i expected a fantastic meal, so expectations were high. They exceeded them. THe food here is fantastic, it even looks as good as it tastes. It is a BYO so don't forget to that. 3 of us went out, had 2 apps and 3 entrees.. we were stuffed when we left. portions were a good size. I highly recommend this place if you are a seafood person. Just know the place is tiny, about 8-10 tables.Special Features:
- My favorite.KMagnussVIPDined on 7/13/2014The Sunday tasting menu is a culmination of creativity, a real knack for amazing flavor combinations, and a chef that puts heart into their work. It's simply the best.Special Features: