698 Sawmill River Rd.
Ardsley, NY 10502Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.liniziony.com/
- Phone: (914) 693-5400
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 to 10:00 pm
5:30 to 11:00 pm
11:30 to 3:30
5pm to 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Fratangelo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from L'inizio
We strive to use seasonal,local products and incorporate them into the Italian food we love so much.
We are located at 698 Saw Mill River Road in Ardsley, NY.
We strive to use seasonal,local products and incorporate them into the Italian food we love so much.
We are located at 698 Saw Mill River Road in Ardsley, NY.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
L'inizio - Best Restaurants in Ardsley ›
L'inizio reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)neighborhood gem (101)special occasion (31)romantic (27)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (19)hot spot (18)good for groups (15)great for lunch (8)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- AmazingTrue2typeDined on 6/15/2014Ate here for the first time on Fathers' Day and was super impressed. Staff were friendly and knowledgable and very kind to my kids. I'm still craving the Chicken Liver Crostini with Rhubarb compote. We eat at Batali's restaurant in Port Chester a lot and this was every bit as good. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Surprising spottellsDined on 6/15/2014I did not know such well prepared food existed in Ardsley. I will be going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent but noisy local eateryIcook2Dined on 6/13/2014The menu and execution were creative without being "precious" - nor were they different merely for the sake of being different. Every ingredient was well thought out and well placed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014Everything was fabulous about L'inizio. Food is fantastic Fun, vibrant atmosphere. Great coctails too. its my new favorite place.!Special Features:
- A neighborhood gemparticularDinerLBVIPDined on 6/12/2014Everything we tried was excellent, baked stuffed clams, pear salad. I had the duck and it was cooked to perfection. Food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Just amazingDanuDined on 6/11/2014Once again, a unique and amazing meal. Every ingredient is perfection in this wonderful intimate restaurant, and we can not believe that it still gets better each time we come. The squid ink pasta with fresh peas and octopus was a standout. Will be back for sure.Special Features:
- I'll be going backwilburbud2Dined on 6/10/2014L'inizio was recommended by a friend and was it ever a great recommendation! Everything we ate was excellent from the bread and olives to the spectacular pastas. Service was attentive and friendly. The whole family loved the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Westchester!ArdsleyFoodieDined on 6/10/2014And it's not that big of a trek for anyone wanting to come up from Manhattan to try some fabulous food! Scott and Heather are fabulous. I have gone there several times and have yet to taste anything that is less than perfect! The desserts are insane, and I usually NEVER have dessert when I eat out, but I always leave room for them when I go to L'inizio! I adore the Buckwheat Polenta, and the clams appetizer. The food varies with what is in season, and they are strong advocates of Farm to Table, which I believe in and live as I grew up next to a farm and earliest memories of eating my mom's meals made from food obtained at the local farm market. Oh, and let's not forget the great staff (Tim is great) and I love the special cocktails too.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableFabulousDined on 6/5/2014The food is very good and the staff are all very friendly and willing to please. They make everyone feel as if they are their best customer. Quiet but not too quiet. Enjoyable, very good local Italian restaurant. Small so I would suggest reservations.Special Features:
- Dinner on Sunday June 1stDilemmaDined on 6/1/2014Better than expected. Great food and very cordial service. Will definitely visit again and highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy meeting you heremusicdocVIPDined on 6/1/2014A welcome addition to Ardsley, sophisticated, yet accessible Italian cuisine in a friendly and welcoming cozy space. Noise can be an issue when there's a crowd, but everyone is having such a good time with the hearty and creative menu that you won't notice. Dishes are well conceived and flavors truly "pop." Don't miss the cheesecake-in-a-jar dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeafeningOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/31/2014Let's start with the fact that the food and the service is great, the welcome was warm and inviting....the decibel level in this restaurant was deafening. I was yelling at my companion and that was during the "quiet" times. i have been to smaller restaurants and to larger restaurants, where more people are in the same space, but i have never had a restaurant as loud as this...i was dissappointed because everything else was wonderful...but i won't yell to speak to a person less than two feet away.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Service and food were both very good - was a pleasant find of a restaurant for us - will no doubt go again - well done to L'inizio !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousSlowturtleDined on 5/30/2014We had a loving evening. Food was excellent as well as the service. It was a bit noisy as the front room is small. But it was a good buzz. Wine by the glass is expensive...small pours. We will be back though!Special Features:
- GiveusagoodpieceoffishVIPDined on 5/24/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience. We dine early and there was already a nice crowd. This was our first time at L'inizio and enjoyed our choices for both appetizers and entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood placeLaneyVIPDined on 5/22/2014The food and service was quite good yet there was something that would not draw me back here. Although salad and entry were tasty, the food was "fussy" with "try to hard" combo of ingredients. Dinner, while good, was unsatisfying and left us wanting something!
- ExcellentPJC245VIPDined on 5/17/2014Great food and service! Home made pastas were amazing.Special Features:
- So good. If only it were bigger!SuzeVIPDined on 5/16/2014We lamented the loss of Italian Kitchen but it's replacement is even better. The chef has a sure, light hand with marvelous flavors. I learned how to make potato gnocchi in Bologna and never thought I'd taste any as good in the US. Scott Fratangelo's are light, delicious with duck, green olives and Marcone almonds, a unique flavor combination. Our waitress was attentive and enthusiastic. Desserts are totally worth the calories. Now, space is the only problem with the restaurant. There is a narrow front room with limited table space and a larger and noisier back room. There bar area might possibly be expanded, but we watched 3 groups arrive without reservations only to be sadly turned away. So, make a reservation!Special Features:
- Comfortable and charmingsharpe200Dined on 5/11/2014Comfortable ambience with good food. Interesting food combinations. Service tries hard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014Not your typical Italian restaurant. The food was fresh and light and even with a full restaurant, the service was quick and attentive. See you there again, soon.Special Features:
- Nice PlaceMarkDined on 5/11/2014We had brunch and it was very nice. The french toast was great.Special Features:
- Great Spot!neenersVIPDined on 5/3/2014This was our first visit to L'Inizio. We had heard so much about the food and couldn't wait to try it. We were seated with our friends in the back room which many reviewers had said was so loud they had asked to be moved - while it was loud, i have to admit we really didn't mind. We'd rather have that than a place where you can hear a pin drop. And the food did not disappoint! The pastas were home made and deliciously prepared! We don't usually order dessert but we decided to try the cinnamon sugar bomboloni and the cheesecake - both great! They also had two special cocktails - a sweet pea martini and a 2 week aged manhattan. We tried both and they were delicious. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2014It is rare to find this level of expertise. The quality of ingredients, the imagination in each dish, the absolute care put into each course! The perfect preparation and presentation of the octopus was an art form! Where can you find rhubarb pie that is neither too sweet not too tart?Special Features:
- insbroinsbroVIPDined on 5/1/2014Westchester is so very lucky to have a restaurant of this quality. Scott Frantangelo creates the most delicious food and Heather his wife creates the most delicious desserts. The food at L'Inizio is fresh from the farm to your table. If you haven't tried the restaurant yet, you are missing some of the best food in the county!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary!EdStDined on 4/30/2014A wonderful addition to the Westchester restaurant scene. Beautiful, creative and delicious dishes from start to finish. The service is attentive and friendly, and the menu is priced reasonably. Altogether terrific!Special Features:
- Lovely SurpriseNormaSDined on 4/26/2014My husband and I had dinner here and were very happy with all. The service was excellent. I had a small taste of one wine I had never heard of and it was not my preference so they made a different recommendation which was perfect and they were so nice about it. The food is not typical southern Italian and is EXCELLENT. I had a salad with arugula and grapes and more that was excellent and we both had fish that was also perfect. The deserts all sounded wonderful but I chose the alfredo ice cream and it was beyond excellent. We will definitely go back. Make a reservation ahead or you may not get in. It is a smallish restaurant and had a large party in the back but we didn't even hear them. Norma SSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!ArdsleyDinerDined on 4/25/2014L'inizio took over from a short-lived Italian restaurant in a tiny but sweet location. The restaurant still has its odd shape--long and narrow, with a bar separating the two main dining rooms. We ate in the front room and did not have the overwhelming noise people have complained about in the back room. Service was very attentive, not just from our waitress, but also from the host. The menu is somewhat limited but specials flesh it out. The food was all very good, but overall pricey for what we got. Wine list has many reasonably priced bottles and glasses.Special Features:
- AMAZING!FoodReviews4YouVIPDined on 4/24/2014We were frequent diners at Spigolo in NYC and we were so excited when we saw Heather and Scott are now in Westchester with their new restaurant, L'inizio. The food was out of the world. We haven't experienced anything this good in a long time. We definitely will be back and plan on telling everyone we know since it was the BEST meal!Special Features:
- Ssshh. Don't Tell AnyoneCescaFrescaDined on 4/23/2014I almost don't want to share this gem of a restaurant. But I must. Anyone looking for a mid-week restaurant, won't find a better one than L'Inizio. There was only one other table of diners and once they left, it was all ours. The food is outstanding and the service top-notch. We're going back this weekend but you guessed it, there are few openings: very early or very late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014My husband and I were disappointed when we found out that Italian Kitchen (of the same location) had closed, but we were very pleasantly surprised when we were able to get a table last minute at L'inizio. Although we couldn't make out any particular "region" of Italian cooking, both the food and wine were delicious. The only downside was the noise level in the back room. There were three large parties seated near us and at times the decibel reached the level of an ambulance siren. Our waiter assured us that a sound specialist was being consulted and the owners planned to remedy the problem. We would certainly return to sample other dishes and will bring our daughters and friends, especially if the sound problem is fixed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in ArdsleySuSuVIPDined on 4/19/2014Hospitable & welcoming service, however menu very limited especially for anyone counting calories. Restaurant is quaint but noise level is overbearing. Grilled shrimp or shrimp cocktail could be a favorable addition to the menu which someone like me can add to a salad. Additionally at 7:30 pm they ran out of their featured special salad for the evening & the fava beans were not part of the substitute salad offered which was a disappointment. Highly likely I will not return. Too bad... Always in search for a neighborhood gem. Best of luck in succeeding.
- 2nd time even betterpbf136VIPDined on 4/18/2014We have been there 2 times. The menu is wonderful and every morsel is delicious. Great use of vegetables with all of the dishes.Special Features:
- Ardsley's new prizeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/18/2014Great farm fresh food. Octopus appetizer is amazing. We loved all the pastas. Lovely owners, especially Heather who is also the pastry chef. Relaxing and fun.Special Features:
- great date nightlmsnycVIPDined on 4/18/2014My boyfriend and I went out to get a night to ourselves and this was lovely. It is definitely a NYC caliber restaurant. The portions are small-ish, but that is fine with me. The staff is great. I will definitley be returning.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/17/2014The restaurant and it's employees are fantastic The food and service are wonderfulSpecial Features:
- Very goodSam35VIPDined on 4/11/2014Food was excellent. Loved that it was a little different. Nice decor & service. Will be backSpecial Features:
- We had been anxious to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/4/2014We had been anxious to try L'inizio since its opening and finally went with friends visiting from out of town. Everything was excellent from the drinks and wine through desert. The staff was friendly, attentive and informative. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for the neighborhoodChappaqua5423VIPDined on 4/4/2014Terrific restaurant -- different food and everything was delicious. Pastas are large portions and could be half orders (although we also had the whipped ricotta with an extra grilled bread so we might've ordered too much -- we were licking the ricotta off of our spoons.) The bass and chicken were excellent. And we were too full for dessert so just ordered the cookie plate, which was very large. Every table was taken so it was noisy. We will definitely come backSpecial Features:
- So glad we had a reservationNELTDined on 4/4/2014This was a very pleasant surprise especially as the weather was cold and wet and there is very limited parking. Once inside we were greeted with a smile and almost immediately seated with drinks in front of us. The space is narrow and tall with a noise level that is energetic but the food and service make up for everything else. Four of us managed to get through prosciutto, clams, pate and a salad as appetizers followed by pasta and chicken. All were delicious, well presented and served quickly. The service was excellent, someone was there to assist when needed but otherwise was unobtrusive. We will return and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Lovely L'inizioout2eatDined on 4/1/2014Our dinner at L'inizio was lovely. We loved the spot there before and are so happy to have this new local spot for dinner's out nearby. Our little village needs more spots with such high standards. We look forward to returning there for future dinners and "Brunch" on Sunday. The wait staff was attentive and pleasant. We enjoyed the Tuesday "half-price" bottle of wine special. I hope that this spot is here for years to come. Count us as "regulars."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.