242 Harvard Street
Brookline, MA 02446Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lineagerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (617) 232-0065
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 5:00 - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Sewall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a dining room that can accommodate up to 45 guests for a reception and sit down dinner. We will create a customized menu for your event as simple or elaborate as you would like. Tasting menus, along with wine pairings can be made available.
- Private Party Contact: Ron Vale 6172320065
- Special Events: Available for your social or business events from 14 - 80. We have a private room that can accommodate up to 45 for a reception and sit down dinner. A menu can be tailored by our chef to suit your tastes & budget.
- Public Transit: On the T, The Beacon Street Green line (C) train, at the Coolidge Corner stop. On the Bus, Take the 66 Bus to Coolidge Corner.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is street metered parking available along Harvard Street in front of the restaurant, as well as on Beacon Street in the vicinity of the restaurant. Parking is available for a fee at the parking garage at the Marriott Courtyard Hotel. There are also two metered lots on Webster Street on the left after the hotel, directly behind our restaurant.
A word from Lineage
A farm to table American restaurant with a focus on seafood. Our menus change daily to reflect the best of what the markets have to offer and allows us to feature the work of many local artisans, growers and fishermen. A three course seafood tasting menu is always available. Jeremy and Lisa Sewall created Lineage Restaurant"s concept. We are a married couple with extensive culinary experience and deep New England roots. Located in the heart of Coolidge Corner, Brookline, Massachusetts, the name "Lineage" is based on Jeremy's own. In 1705, when this "Muddy River" hamlet of Boston became incorporated, Samuel Sewall, son of Judge Sewall of Salem Witch Trials fame, lent the community his services as the first Town Clerk and, it is thought, the name of his family's "Brooklin" lands, which lay between the Charles and Muddy Rivers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Lineage - Best Restaurants in Brookline ›
Lineage reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (123)fit for foodies (120)special occasion (84)romantic (55)notable wine list (37)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (14)late-night find (9)great for brunch (8)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- delightful restaurantappetitosDined on 11/22/2014We dined at this restaurant on a Saturday night. The service was exceptional Loved the creativity of menu and beer choices. Food delicious - spot on and just the right serving sizes. We would be back just for the hot rolls, baked perfectly with a sprinkling of salt on top!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland food, very expensivegourmetgourmandDined on 11/19/2014Some people really, really like mild food with subtle flavors. They will like Lineage. I prefer strongly flavored food with bold flavors. The food was fairly well prepared (some things that should have been more crispy - fish skin, calamari - were a bit limp), but nothing tasted like much. The calamari was in a "red curry" sauce that had I not ordered it, I would never known was supposed to be curry. Also, one dish was mostly sauce-less pasta although it was described as a scallops dish, and the other dish had very little in the way of sides, and was mostly a bland piece of fish (which was quite moist). It was also quite expensive for food that wasn't that special.
- Great Food, Great AmbianceDelightfulDiningVIPDined on 11/17/2014We came for our 30th wedding anniversary, having had great experiences previously. We had a wonderful time. Service is gracious, attentive and unintrusive. Atmosphere is warm, intimate and generally low-volume. Cocktails are excellent (partial to their Beekeeper), lobster tacos appetizer always awesome. Shared a chef's seafood tasting menu (no surcharge) with paired wines which was superb. Always love the butterscotch pudding dessert. Only quibble is that there could have been another mussel or two in the mussel salad. Will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKMurtiDined on 11/15/2014Read some great reviews so thought we would check out this neighborhood gem. The ambience is great and the service was pretty good but the food let us down. Nothing that blew us away even with some seasonal items. Might go back for the steak but that was the only highlight.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2014We dine here every time we visit Boston. It is our favorite restaurant in Coolidge Corner. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014We enjoyed our time, but were disappointed to be told twice that what we had selected in the menu was not available.Special Features:
- A lovely eveningBostonDinerVIPDined on 11/11/2014We went to celebrate my wife's birthday and had a lovely time of it. Our table was waiting despite a small line of walk-ins and an overcrowded bar. The host and servers were friendly and attentive but not intrusive. Both our meals were excellent but the mushroom soup with celery root and the bay scallops with gnocchi were outstanding. This may become our new go-to restaurant for occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and deliciousSO6elleDined on 11/9/2014Low key, unobtrusive service. Great choices. Seafood was delicious. Was looking for a spot for an early Sunday evening dinner and was so glad to find Lineage open at 4 PM on Sunday. Nice that the website had info on parking options. Adore the "lineage" connection. A super pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, mediocre foodBenUDined on 11/8/2014Lovely place with a nice ambiance and great service, the only thing lacking was the flavor. The food was very earthy and bland. We tried four different dishes and they all had that same lackluster quality. I thought that with the unique ingredients and detailed menu descriptions, the food would have been pretty remarkable, but instead it was just good quality food without much surprise or uniqueness to it.Special Features:
- Always excellentsunnybVIPDined on 11/8/2014Just a great place with a super accommodating knowlegable staff and wonderful food. The oysters are truly some of New Englands best and the seafood is always prepared to perfection. They always have a few meat and veg choices if you want something other than fish and serve the best burger I have ever had. The tasting menu is always changing due to the creative chef and the efforts made to source local fresh seasonal ingredients. The bar area with its aromatic wood fired oven occasionally can get a little loud and drafty on busy weekend nights so request the serene diningroom next door if you want a more refined dining experience. Either way, if you love artfully prepared fresh food and great service, lineage is for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Food was great impressed my foodie date. Would def go back!Special Features:
- Love LineageKatieVIPDined on 10/30/2014We've gone here many times although not recently. I generally get the burger, which is one of my favorite burgers of all times (only rivals the burger at Carpenter & Main which hasn't been as good since they changed chefs/owners a few years ago). My husband's lobster gnocchi was also delicious. No complaints! I only gave 4 stars because I generally don't give 5 unless you're a top 5 favorite restaurant of all time. No review inflation here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want to go backAlexMADined on 10/27/2014Lineage's food is really good, as you would hope for when you go out for a special meal. The ambiance sets it apart though; the space feels relaxed and spacious. The menu has nice flexibility as well; you can get a more serious meal or a fun one (e.g. oysters and steak, or lobster tacos followed by a burger). Both will be delicious. The wines by the glass were good; the cava brut particularly so (it's nice to see cava on the menu as it is usually an excellent value for a sparkling wine).Special Features:
- RonneartVIPDined on 10/26/2014We returned again for dinner and again were pleased with Lineage, its staff and its food. Thank you, GSHSpecial Features:
- They get everything rightokimercDined on 10/25/2014At Lineage, they are good at apps, salads, entres, and desserts. I don't drink wine, so that I can't speak to. But in addition to getting all four parts of a meal right, their service is also terrific. And they are like this every night of the week every time. And they cook fish in such a way that it's browned nicely on the outside, flakes all the way to the middle, but is also cooked to medium throughout. I grew up on a house with lots of fish on the menu and these folks crush it. I can't figure out how they do this. Oh, and this restaurant is neither trendy nor mobbed; things I somewhat dislike.Special Features:
- A little disappointed second timeWoodyDined on 10/25/2014This was our second visit to Lineage with our 3 daughters (ages 15-21). We were seated in the bar area this time; a little noisier and livelier than the dining room. The ambience is nice although the banquet at our table was not cushioned (hard wood) and they had a TV in the bar which seems out of touch with the mood/decor of the restaurant. The food was good, but not as good as we remembered it when we were there about a year ago. Nice wine list. My husband had the seafood tasting along with the wine pairing. The service was very slow this visit. My daughter's steak was undercooked, but we had waited so long for the food to come that she didn't send it back.Special Features:
- The wait was too long.AlexDined on 10/17/2014I would say that while the restaurant has a great ambiance, the slow service and limited selection were major drawbacks. Food itself was great. I had a mushroom risotto that I really liked. My wife had a chicken dish she liked as well.Special Features:
- Reliable favoritespandwskDined on 10/16/2014We are never disappointed with this reliable restaurant. The food was was fresh and tasty and the menu interesting without being pretentious. Servers are professional and upbeat, making this a good place to have a leisurely dinner with old friends without feeling rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lineage mustn't rest on its laurelsUmamiDined on 10/15/2014I usually love Lineage for its locavore/home-crafted approach to food but was less than wowed on my last visit. My saffron pasta with littlenecks (3), shrimp (few), lobster (not much) and chorizo was tasty but didn't surpass anything I'd make at home. Worse than that, the wine prices for their featured Pinot noirs were nothing short of exorbitant. $20 a glass? $90 or more a bottle? It felt like a ripoff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have checked the menuUMparentVIPDined on 10/10/2014Unfortunately there was nothing that was really appealing on that day's menu. The best item was the mussels appetizer. My friend liked her cod and I ordered the cod cheeks which were just okay. I found nothing flavorful in the dish. The ambiance was great and the service was attentive. Usually I am a bigger fan of the entrees.Special Features:
- Too SmokeyLuluDined on 10/4/2014Entree & salad were very good. Dessert (carrot cake) very disappointing. So much smoke from the brick oven that my eyes were burning & my clothes smelled like smoke & had to be dry cleaned.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningMadamePDined on 10/3/2014The food was excellent and the service very good. I find most restaurants to be too cool, so I bring cardigans and still freeze, but the dining room at Lineage was nice and warm, even at our window table. There was a moment when the pizza oven smoked a lot and the dining room got too smoky but it only lasted 3 or 4 minutes. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PIPERVIPDined on 10/2/2014From walking in the the door with the most friendly greeting to the entire wait staff, chefs and awesome bartenders, linage features amazing food and such well educated bar tenders....I like to call "alchemist" and can pair just about any drink to your succulent choice of fair.. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent, but!!!jamocoDined on 9/28/2014the food was excellent, the service left a lot to be desired. the waiter should find a new profession.Special Features:
- wish it was a best kept secretokimercDined on 9/26/2014These folks are really consistent. Apps, entres, dessert, service, and wine. And the service is a very non-Boston brisk. I wish it was a best-kept secret.Special Features:
- Best in BrooklineBillVIPDined on 9/25/2014Best restaurant in Brookline. Great seafood. Don't leave without getting the signature dessert – butterscotch pudding. Oh, the lobster gnocchi is excellent!
- Awesome dinner!!peterDined on 9/23/2014Had salmon, burgers, lobster tacos-they were all awesome!! Service was really friendly & helpful with suggestions! Dinner was excellent. This was our first time and we would definitely come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peaceful dining experience...Sassy1453Dined on 9/18/2014Very much enjoyed our experience dining at Lineage this week. Beautiful, serene environment, excellent service, memorable food. Warm figs, two salads, lobster tacos shared over good conversation in a lovely space made for a restful weeknight treat for the palate and soul. Will definitely return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzaVIPDined on 9/13/2014This was my second time at your restaurant and we enjoyed it even more. We brought friends this time. We were not sure they would like as they do not enjoy fine dining. They were thrilled!!!! They cannot wait to go back as I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbAuburndaleDinerVIPDined on 9/11/2014Have had dinner here three times now and each time the food has been superb, the service attentive without being overly so, and the atmosphere elegant without being stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brookline gemMissMDined on 9/11/2014The space is lovely, the food delicious, and the service perfect and unhurried. The welcoming and gracious spirit of the staff is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over The MoonJosephDined on 9/8/2014'Tis so very rare when the dining experience far outweighs the expectation. Dining at Lineage was especially memorable. A truly outstanding performance!! We were "over the moon"!!!Special Features:
- Four for fourDaleFDined on 9/6/2014We shared 2 appetizers and 2 entrees, and each was utterly delicious. Calamari and black bass were in prime condition, and beautifully cooked. Gnocchi as light and delicate as we've had and the home-made sausage with the lobster on the gnocchi was great. The recommended Gruner Veltliner was very nice. And we could hear each other! A most satisfying meal.Special Features:
- Great foodschasDined on 9/5/2014Lobster tacos, risotto, and salmon were great! Good wine list. Male waiter was a little quirky. Didn't have much to offer when we asked for suggestions and reached across the table a lot while I was eating, bumping hands while I was trying to get food to up to my mouth. Went for a 7:30 dinner and felt a little out of place with the crowd-mostly older married couples (we're a young 20s couple).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!saltandspiceDined on 9/2/2014The lobster tacos were delightful! We ordered one as an appetizer and they were so good we ordered a second round! I ordered the bass and it was perfectly cooked--moist and crispy in all of the right places. My mom ordered the red snapper and she was very happy with it! The staff was super friendly and provided great service. Overall a really delicious meal. We will definitely come again!Special Features:
- OkCTRobVIPDined on 8/30/2014The food was just fair. Nothing special. I think time has passed this place by.
- Top-notch!Loscar911Dined on 8/29/2014Whenever I come to Boston to visit my daughter at Boston College, we ALWAYS make reservations at Lineage; it is our favorite Boston restaurant (even when our friends tell us we need to "branch out and try another"! The appetizers are outstanding (especially spicy lobster tacos), the entrees are superb, and the desserts finish things off with a flourish. Being creatures of habit, we never miss out on ordering Lineage's butterscotch pudding - the best in the land! Wine list is outstanding - Lineage is first restaurant I have found that serves a white Chateauneuf-de-pape! Lineage never fails to impress!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food- Friendly - GOnycnowbostonVIPDined on 8/27/2014well made drinks- Lobster tacos are a must- been 3 times and will def come again- All ages enjoy this lovely spot near Cool CornersSpecial Features:
- Delicious Lobster TacosOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014It would be worth checking this lovely neighborhood restaurant out just for the lobster tacos! They were divine!Special Features:
- NHDinerDined on 8/23/2014The lobster tacos are outstanding! Service was professional and timely. We had an excellent time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.